Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

As a fair warning to newcomers or anyone whose never joined the Discord. We're really into Butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
what is the butt discord link?

e: also the BF1 resurgence allowed me to play air assault for the first time and I was able to be turret for the entire round of battlefield again. i used to love shooting down planes on 1942 in the little radar dish AA on Battle of Berlin. its just so relaxing

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 5, 2021

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

what is the butt discord link?

e: also the BF1 resurgence allowed me to play air assault for the first time and I was able to be turret for the entire round of battlefield again. i used to love shooting down planes on 1942 in the little radar dish AA on Battle of Berlin. its just so relaxing

https://discord.gg/eXjk7tYW

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Anyone want BFV? Quote for a Twitch Prime key I guess

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Am I reading this right? In BF1, the assignment to unlock the "pin down" perk requires 35 kills with the Trench Fleur, which is a dlc-only melee weapon. Is this secretly a DLC-exclusive perk?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Am I reading this right? In BF1, the assignment to unlock the "pin down" perk requires 35 kills with the Trench Fleur, which is a dlc-only melee weapon. Is this secretly a DLC-exclusive perk?

Yes basically. It's also a garbage perk

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Upgraded my PC and I'm super impressed by BF1 at ultra. Wonder how Bfv will hold up when it's installed

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

BFV looks super pretty on ultra. I just wish it was better. I don't hate playing it, it's just, ehh. I go back to playing 1 and 4 a whole lot more.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Looking over the specs for 2042, it looks like both my new laptop and year old PC will run everything on medium. But since it's BF I will likely set everything to low anyway because my reflexes need every advantage :v:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Supaflywallace posted:

Upgraded my PC and I'm super impressed by BF1 at ultra. Wonder how Bfv will hold up when it's installed

BillyJoeBob posted:

BFV looks super pretty on ultra. I just wish it was better. I don't hate playing it, it's just, ehh. I go back to playing 1 and 4 a whole lot more.

BFV is technically a better looking game than BF1 but it's art direction is severely lacking compared to BF1 and looks worse/blander to most people

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

BFV was so bad people shut the gently caress up about fixed recoil patterns being “superior”.

I’m now panicking that my 8700k may not be enough for BF6 and it seems the supply of 9900k’s at a decent price may have disappeared.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
bfV just felt cheap to me in the same way that cod cold war feels cheap, something about the polish/movement just feels off

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
EA CEO flat out said Battlefield is going to be a software as a service kind of game now, which I think is what everyone had figured out already with the Portal announcement.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-ceo-you-should-think-of-battlefield-as-a-service

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

bfV just felt cheap to me in the same way that cod cold war feels cheap, something about the polish/movement just feels off

From the little I've played, I like that you slide around more, going prone or ducking behind cover, like Titanfall without going full on double jumping wall run

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

From the little I've played, I like that you slide around more, going prone or ducking behind cover, like Titanfall without going full on double jumping wall run

It also didn't help that they homogenized the gently caress out of the guns and their attachments, to the point where it felt like more than half of the players were just running around with an assault rifle with a red dot on top. Firefights really didn't have much of a WWII feel to them.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

BFV was so bad people shut the gently caress up about fixed recoil patterns being “superior”.

I’m now panicking that my 8700k may not be enough for BF6 and it seems the supply of 9900k’s at a decent price may have disappeared.

Recoil in BFV is not entirely fixed but yeah. Also your 8700K is going to be perfectly fine. The 8700K at 1080P is within 3-4% average FPS performance and identical 1% lows to the 9900K in BFV. Modern Frostbite really likes to have more than 4 threads (the 8700K is 6C/12T) see the 7600K struggling to hit 60FPS 1% lows

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Perestroika posted:

It also didn't help that they homogenized the gently caress out of the guns and their attachments, to the point where it felt like more than half of the players were just running around with an assault rifle with a red dot on top. Firefights really didn't have much of a WWII feel to them.

I think both BF1 and BFV were worse because of DICE's timidity about messing with the gun palette formula. All of the SMGs in BF1 disrupts the historical atmosphere – bolt actions being standard with an emphasis on a variety of weird jury-rigged gadgetry and melee weapons would've been more interesting IMO. Likewise, in the WW2 setting, people have cultural associations of guns to factions. I think they missed a chance to use constrained gun choices per faction but a greater variety/choice of tactical squad call-ins and class specializations. They just weren't willing to depart from the full-auto-heavy, universal weapon pool design of BF3/BF4.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

It's battlefield, not Beyond the wire

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Eastbound Spider posted:

It's battlefield, not Beyond the wire

If you played 1942/BF:V/BF2 you'd remember that they used to have faction-specific weaponry which I think contributed to the atmosphere of those games. I'm not saying the games should be simulations, just that there are pop-cultural conceptions of these historical wars that they didn't capitalize on

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nitevision posted:

If you played 1942/BF:V/BF2 you'd remember that they used to have faction-specific weaponry which I think contributed to the atmosphere of those games. I'm not saying the games should be simulations, just that there are pop-cultural conceptions of these historical wars that they didn't capitalize on

I always thought it was really fun to kill an enemy and pickup their kit to use against them.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

I always thought it was really fun to kill an enemy and pickup their kit to use against them.

i always feel like a boss whenever I take out a medic that just killed my teammate and then take their kit to revive the dude that the medic just killed

same feeling as when I am out of ammo and follow around a friendly support that refuses to resupply me till they get killed, and then take their kit to do their own drat job for them

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nitevision posted:

Right, but it’s weird to lay that at the feet of BF1/BFV, when it has been ages since any BF title took that approach. And at least where BF1 is concerned, who cares? The game unambiguously has atmosphere in spades, and the pseudo diesel-punk exploration of late 19th and early 20th century weapons is at least as interesting as any “pop-cultural conception” would have been. The gameplay isn’t remotely “authentic,” but it certainly never feels like everyone is using reskinned M16’s instead of a bizarre collection of early automatics/wacky experimental weapons/actual era appropriate military weapons/etc. The huge number of experimental/underplayed weapons actually parallels modern BF titles - they also have a penchant for filling out their weapon rosters with guns that weren’t adopted or had incredibly tiny production runs.

Mind you, I love psuedo-realistic shooters, but I wouldn’t ever expect a Battlefield title to be Verdun/Red Orchestra. It’d be cool if they’d taken a stab at it, but it’s extremely weird to seemingly fault them for not being a radically different style of game than BF has ever been.

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 6, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'd prefer a balanced playing field over factional weapons tbh.

It's been ages so I might be wrong but I vaguely remember BF3 starting you with the M16 (pretty much the best gun in the game until it got nerfed) on one side while the other side's starting weapon wasn't nearly as good.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'd prefer a balanced playing field over factional weapons tbh.

It's been ages so I might be wrong but I vaguely remember BF3 starting you with the M16 (pretty much the best gun in the game until it got nerfed) on one side while the other side's starting weapon wasn't nearly as good.
Yeah in BF3 the US started with the M16A3/M4A1/M27 IAR (basically the best guns in the entire game for their respective classes) for Assault/Engineer/Support respectively while the Russians started with the AK-74M/AKS-74U/RPK-74. You eventually unlocked the opposite faction's starting gun as the final unlock for each class but it was not a good time to be Russian at BF3 launch.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

LGD posted:

Right, but it’s weird to lay that at the feet of BF1/BFV, when it has been ages since any BF title took that approach. And at least where BF1 is concerned, who cares? The game unambiguously has atmosphere in spades, and the pseudo diesel-punk exploration of late 19th and early 20th century weapons is at least as interesting as any “pop-cultural conception” would have been. The gameplay isn’t remotely “authentic,” but it certainly never feels like everyone is using reskinned M16’s instead of a bizarre collection of early automatics/wacky experimental weapons/actual era appropriate military weapons/etc. The huge number of experimental/underplayed weapons actually parallels modern BF titles - they also have a penchant for filling out their weapon rosters with guns that weren’t adopted or had incredibly tiny production runs.

Mind you, I love psuedo-realistic shooters, but I wouldn’t ever expect a Battlefield title to be Verdun/Red Orchestra. It’d be cool if they’d taken a stab at it, but it’s extremely weird to seemingly fault them for not being a radically different style of game than BF has ever been.

Yeah, I loved BF1, I think they did a great job on the atmosphere. I think I just disagree that the gameplay differentiated itself as much as the setting did. Like melee weapons were a huge deal in WW1 and they lovingly modeled all that poo poo in the game, but when 1/3 of your enemies have some insane prototype SMG, the interesting gameplay aspects of the setting fall over toward the full-auto gameplay that's ultimately not that different from the BF3 blueprint.

I think you see this problem to some degree in both BF1 and BFV. People in this thread are rightly excited for 2042 because the modern setting means more technological gadgetry with fun gameplay possibilities than those previous games had. That's a sign that they had transposed the gameplay formula for a modern setting onto those historical games imo. They innovated in superficial ways (BF1's great setting and atmosphere) and small ways (BFV's spotting system, squad revives, fortifications) but I'm willing to think BF2042 will be the best game of the last three because it won't be jamming the BF3 gameplay formula into a setting where it makes less sense. I realize DICE probably couldn't have risked more innovation thanks to shareholders and deadlines, it's just a line of critique that I find interesting.

People seem to forget that BF3 really inaugurated the era of Battlefield being super-fast-paced. BF2 for example had a strategic layer that mattered and mostly huge maps where team coordination and transport vehicles made a much bigger difference than 2010s Battlefields where everyone's sprinting around on amphetamines gunning for headshots. The minute-to-minute gameplay of BF2 was arcadey, but players moved slower, guns were less accurate, and your squad leader was much more important. It hasn't always been like BF3 onward.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BF2 was great and felt really slow. My memories come from being a teen though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i bought bf2 at best buy when i was like 12 or 13 and got home only to find that one of the discs in the case was broke. i went back to exchange it and was refused. ever since, i have born an eternal enmity against best buy and battlefield 2

Nitevision posted:

People seem to forget that BF3 really inaugurated the era of Battlefield being super-fast-paced. BF2 for example had a strategic layer that mattered and mostly huge maps where team coordination and transport vehicles made a much bigger difference than 2010s Battlefields where everyone's sprinting around on amphetamines gunning for headshots. The minute-to-minute gameplay of BF2 was arcadey, but players moved slower, guns were less accurate, and your squad leader was much more important. It hasn't always been like BF3 onward.

also i feel bad repeatedly shilling Hell Let Loose itt but if you miss this slightly more expansive/strategic approach, well... yeah. game good

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 6, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just checked and I have service stars with 134 different guns. Just shows how serviceable almost every gun is in BF1.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stupid question but how do yall handle joining the same server with a larger group? Particularly in BF1 it's a bit of a pain playing with a couple friends because every single server is 64/64 with a bunch in queue until the servers that are like 5/24 and down. As far as I can tell it doesn't put everyone in your squad in the queue until the leader gets into the server so I end up having to tell my friends which one to click on and queue for. I was trying to play this with a friend last night who completely ragequit and uninstalled the game because we kept having issues getting into servers, then when we did it turned out he didn't have the DLC maps I guess despite it not really showing that the server runs DLC maps. This guy plays a lot of COD and didn't seem to understand why it's so much easier to queue up with a squad of people in a P2P shooter :geno:

I don't really know how they could improve it in 2042 but I do hope it at least puts everyone in your squad in the same queue when you join a full server.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

depending on the size of your group, join lower pop servers and they will usually seed pretty quickly

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

rap music posted:

depending on the size of your group, join lower pop servers and they will usually seed pretty quickly

Yeah that's probably the best idea, at least at that point we're in a game. Doesn't matter anymore because it looks like I'll be queuing alone moving forward lol eh :shrug:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BF4 gave me a dumb QR code again, this time with a partial (?) list of maps . Looks like Valparaiso, Caspian Border, a few good WWII ones, and Yespleaseshahr Canals included from the start

"Battlefield as a service" is absolute A1 terrifying corporate speak, but I've been playing this game for years so I honestly might as well indenture myself to it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can’t you form a party in BF1 at the main menu, then queue together?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RCarr posted:

You can but from what I can tell the other people in my squad don't get queued until I as the host get into the server. It's not a big deal at all my friend was just being unnecessarily precious about his time but I just wanted to know how people typically did it.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

RCarr posted:

Yes and no. A.) The other people have to appear online within origin and be able to be seen and invited. B.) as said above you have to be in the squad, get INTO the server and only then does it prompt them to join said server. If you sit in a 10 person deep queue they just sit there with their thumb up their rear end going "Huh whats going on"

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 6, 2021

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
remembered why i like battlefield games

https://i.imgur.com/Kjyqp9c.gifv

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ragdoll is nice but I want full on gore, guts and brains and everything going everywhere. Its fuckin war not fortnite (which should also have detailed gore effects)

https://i.imgur.com/Qec25D6.mp4

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 6, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

Ragdoll is nice but I want full on gore, guts and brains and everything going everywhere. Its fuckin war not fortnite (which should also have detailed gore effects)

I see way too many people trying to live after putting C4 on a tank and then dying for no gain. An honorable death.

Also this gets me mad at BF5 because of what they did to parachutes. You couldn’t even survive jumping off that big iron bridge unless you hit water.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I see way too many people trying to live after putting C4 on a tank and then dying for no gain. An honorable death.

Also this gets me mad at BF5 because of what they did to parachutes. You couldn’t even survive jumping off that big iron bridge unless you hit water.

For a tank C4 kill, any man would give his only begotten son

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

what?? thats awful