Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

:agreed:

Also after being brainwashed by this thread I finally reinstalled Dork Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. This game is hard. It really makes you feel like a fat goon in too much armor who can only wheeze and gasp through one attack or roll before having to catch your breath and drink another gamer fuel and then catch an axe to the head.

I respect the challenge but I don't think I'm up to it. I'm not used to dying so often. In fact I keep dying earlier and earlier to the point where I feel more like Bill Murray in the middle part of Groundhog Day than Tom Cruise in Die and Die Again.

Like 50% of the challenge in Dark Souls is system mastery bullshit that isn't directly explained by the game at all. High odds you unknowingly did something dumb.

Edit: There's also a gap between the tutorial which is okay enough, and the actual first intended area which is really well designed, where new players get froze out because they try fighting the skeletons or take too many fire bombs to the head.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: There's also a gap between the tutorial which is okay enough, and the actual first intended area which is really well designed, where new players get froze out because they try fighting the skeletons or take too many fire bombs to the head.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I do okay for a while and then it really only takes a moment to screw it and back to the campfire.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at. I do okay for a while and then it really only takes a moment to screw it and back to the campfire.

Which? You're not supposed to fight the skeletons at all yet. Getting up to the aqueduct is a unnecessarily mean trial by (literal) fire but IME your best odds are actually to YOLO it and run straight through. If the guy at the top with the axe doesn't sail over your head, kill him fast and keep moving.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Which? You're not supposed to fight the skeletons at all yet. Getting up to the aqueduct is a unnecessarily mean trial by (literal) fire but IME your best odds are actually to YOLO it and run straight through. If the guy at the top with the axe doesn't sail over your head, kill him fast and keep moving.

So the game starts with a boss you aren't supposed to fight, enemies you aren't supposed to fight, and another set of enemies you aren't supposed to fight?

Neat.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

teabagging in multiplayer games is super funny and awesome, I teabag constnatly in battlefield

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

rydiafan posted:

So the game starts with a boss you aren't supposed to fight, enemies you aren't supposed to fight, and another set of enemies you aren't supposed to fight?

Neat.

In the lattermost case it's less that you're not supposed to fight them and more that throwing caution to the wind is preferable to meticulously baiting them out one by one or turtling up too hard and inevitably dying anyway. And your reward is a chokepoint that's much easier to fight in rather than being at a height disadvantage. Plus their aggression tends to backfire and send them over a cliff. They're also fifteen feet away from the bonfire so while I don't think it's great encounter design at least it's pretty easy to experiment and figure out an approach that works for you.

Running away from the tutorial boss is setup with a decent payoff.

The skeletons though are just dumb and I'm the one Dark Souls fan that will call it out for the sloppy bullshit it is. :colbert:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 5, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

John Murdoch posted:

I've gone both directions. Ended up camping near a firebomb guy. I'll try running through but idk the AI is persistent and doesn't seem to have an interest in holding territory just coming after you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've gone both directions. Ended up camping near a firebomb guy. I'll try running through but idk the AI is persistent and doesn't seem to have an interest in holding territory just coming after you.

Ah, if you've made it to the Undead Burg bonfire you're on the right track at least. The firebomb bridge isn't as much of a threat as it seems, but the area ahead can be a bit of a gauntlet. You can try backtracking to the big square platform with the spear guys and have a look around, there's a merchant nearby with some useful stuff.

I will also say DS1 has the old school RPG problem of making a starting character feel really weak but once you get access to weapon upgrades and have some levels under your belt things fights start to feel much more fair.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 5, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Also after being brainwashed by this thread I finally reinstalled Dork Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. This game is hard. It really makes you feel like a fat goon in too much armor who can only wheeze and gasp through one attack or roll before having to catch your breath and drink another gamer fuel and then catch an axe to the head.

I respect the challenge but I don't think I'm up to it. I'm not used to dying so often. In fact I keep dying earlier and earlier to the point where I feel more like Bill Murray in the middle part of Groundhog Day than Tom Cruise in Die and Die Again.

Take all your armor off and you roll better

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
yeah i typed half the 'roll naked' post then gave up he either gets it or doesn't gently caress it man

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bare minimum if you're fat rolling you gotta do something about it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you don't have to go totally naked but wear like, some light leather armour or something for a little bit of damage mitigation

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OPAONI posted:

This is why Smash Bros is the best. All the inputs are the same, but how you use them varies hugely from character to character.

A lot of fighting games now have relatively standardized inputs, even. Soul Calibur just hasn’t gotten the memo… and it doesn’t show which button on your controller to hit in the move list, so you have to remember which of its notation maps to each button. Another thing most fighting games have dropped.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The ff9 card game was better than the ff8 card game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
starcraft 2 is still the best videogame out there, there are more fun ones and more entertaining ones and more interesting ones but in terms of an experience where you click on things trying to do it better each time, i dont think its ever been topped

to expand, when it comes to people who have an interest in videogames, I don't think theres any group I can relate to less than people who treat videogames as some kind of discovery or idle pastime, you know the type, they have 100 platinum trophies and play a bit of everything but never actively seem to really enjoy themselves, the kind of folk who think Everybodys Gone to The Rapture is an amazing experience

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 5, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it takes a special kind of psychopath to continue to play any RTS over and over beyond the point where you're just memorizing build orders and trying to do the clicks as fast as possible

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

I never got into this but when Red Dead Redemption was the hot thing, my then-girlfriend spent an incredible amount of time just playing cards at various locations. She loved that stuff!
Rockstar put more effort into the minigames than most developers puts into their main games. I could spend ages just go around hunting animals to make clothes out of for example.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

it takes a special kind of psychopath to continue to play any RTS over and over beyond the point where you're just memorizing build orders and trying to do the clicks as fast as possible

it take more of a psychopath to play every single videogame that comes out, having life consist of jumping form one entertainment experience to the next, trying to chase the high of being a child, mostly obsessing over foreign language properties and spending literally all your time, money and energy on a series of mediocre experiences rather than just playing half a dozen games of starcraft a night because you really really love it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
actually its probably way more psycho to be playing chess in 2021, not that chess is bad, but it's like eating bread and butter for dinner

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

actually its probably way more psycho to be playing chess in 2021, not that chess is bad, but it's like eating bread and butter for dinner

chess is like fighting games. only good if you have similar levels around you.

i for one can't read chess notation and half of the cryptic rules (un pissant???) fly over my head. but i don't mind drinking tea and playing chess against very casual players like me.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
now backgammon, that's a weird game. i haven't ever seen anyone with less than 3 grandkids play it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Workaday Wizard posted:

now backgammon, that's a weird game. i haven't ever seen anyone with less than 3 grandkids play it.

backgammon is an ancient game from the times of rome. thats why only old people play it

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

5 minute blitz games on my phone IS my bread and butter

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it take more of a psychopath to play every single videogame that comes out, having life consist of jumping form one entertainment experience to the next, trying to chase the high of being a child, mostly obsessing over foreign language properties and spending literally all your time, money and energy on a series of mediocre experiences rather than just playing half a dozen games of starcraft a night because you really really love it

nah playing competitive rts games is definitely psychopathic

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

nah playing competitive rts games is definitely psychopathic

Yeah but unlike moba players they only have themselves to blame

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That's funny, that's what happened to me on my first run, I thought "Oh let's make a big buff dude in heavy armor, I hear this game is tough so I'll need a lot of DEF" then I thought the parrying and rolling was really useless for a while and got dunked on. Then I saw some videos with assholes rolling around the world, rear end-naked and killing huge mobs with butter knives to the back, that's when I figured I just got trapbuild-trolled by DS, gently caress

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Being a Havel cosplayer is a viable build though. Maybe not as fun though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Oh yea simplest tutorial for a new player in any Dark Souls game:
Choose between strength or dexterity and dump points into them before you level anything else.
STR is slow windup big hurt weapon,
DEX is quick attack smaller hurt

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tripwood posted:

That's funny, that's what happened to me on my first run, I thought "Oh let's make a big buff dude in heavy armor, I hear this game is tough so I'll need a lot of DEF" then I thought the parrying and rolling was really useless for a while and got dunked on. Then I saw some videos with assholes rolling around the world, rear end-naked and killing huge mobs with butter knives to the back, that's when I figured I just got trapbuild-trolled by DS, gently caress

Not really. Heavy armor and big shield is one of the easier play styles in Souls games that don't have "blood" in their title. There's only a handful of places in DS1 and 2 where that isn't effective, and it's the nature of the game that nothing is perfect for every situation.

I actually find going full big guy with big weapons to be kind of fun, but if you want the giant gently caress off equipment, you do kind of have to lean into that. A person just picking up the game, though, will probably have the easiest time getting a nice shield and some heavy armor.

The next step is mastering parrying, but it is a bit of a hurdle. Countering the last boss is how you know you're good at Dark Souls.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

The next step is mastering parrying, but it is a bit of a hurdle. Countering the last boss is how you know you're good at Dark Souls.

I have never learned to parry in a soulsborne game. I waltzed in and beat the last boss on the first try regardless.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I just started replaying Dark Souls. When I first beat the game it was with spears/stabby swords, but this time I'm going for the Zweihander (available right off the start in the skeleton graveyard). It doesn't scale with str or dex much so it frees me up to pump everything into health/carry weight. Have your mobility and your big chunky guy with a punishing attack by picking a weapon that doesn't scale. It can't parry but I never liked the parrying in Dark Souls, they can be hard to read and I was never quite sure what was even parryable. I loved parrying in Sekiro for comparison.

Also don't forget to grab a bow to cheese far away/immobile enemies. It has a first person mode when you hit the other attack button that makes cheesing easy.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 5, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Triarii posted:

I have never learned to parry in a soulsborne game. I waltzed in and beat the last boss on the first try regardless.

same. though it took forever tanking his hits with a shield. when i learned to parry he went down so fast it was laughable.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I am here to evangelize for the card game from the first Xenosaga game. I don’t know if it was in the sequels, I didn’t play them.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I always just stomped about in heavy armour with massive swords and sometimes a shield as well. At least for Dark Souls 1 it's defo one of the easiest ways to play.

First real area in DS1 is also brilliantly designed I think. Like someone else said it's right next to a bonfire so you can keep trying different things. It shows you important things about the game right from the start.

It shows there will be places you can go where the enemies will be able to stomp you until you're a high enough level or good enough to never get hit.

The easier guys on the way you're meant to go show you that even though an enemy might be easy to kill 1v1. But when you take into account the terrain and them doing sneaky things like throwing fire bombs or all just getting up in your grill together, even crappy enemies can kill you sometimes.

It can also show you how you can just run past some enemies if you want and are quick enough.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dross posted:

I am here to evangelize for the card game from the first Xenosaga game. I don’t know if it was in the sequels, I didn’t play them.

wait. what? i put like 100 hours into the first Xenosaga and i don't remember a card game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sally posted:

wait. what? i put like 100 hours into the first Xenosaga and i don't remember a card game.

As a fellow avid Xenosaga 1 player, it was definitely there but I also totally ignored it. It was called Xeno Card and it adds nothing to the game whatsoever.

The only minigame I remember is the drilling minigame which you learn about from a random NPC who insists Shion call him "Mr. Driller."

Episode 3 had a pretty big minigame too called HaKox. I played EP3 just as much as EP1 but also ignored this.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i remember Mr Driller :haibrower:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sally posted:

i remember a busted card game that gives you unlimited money. you had to pick high or low cards? i donno i never finished xenosaga

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
almost nobody finished xenosaga. actually completing the trilogy is like the opposite of putting "guild leader in wow" on your resume, xenosaga will land you any intense-concentration job you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nonsense. xenosaga wasn't that hard. tedious and bushit at times. if i can get through Xenosaga 1-3 without roo much fuss any fairweather JRPG fan can