Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
dun cha dun dun cha (uruuuuuu) dun cha dun dun cha dun cha dun dun cha (urrrrrruuuuuu) dun cha dun dun cha dun cha dun dun cha (urrrrrruuuuuu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I don't think it'd be easy but I just saw the one guy with it. If I had knee problems I absolutely wouldn't do BJJ lol. I can't some stuff due to a.... vertigo type.... thing I guess. I can roll but I can't do some of the warmups like the jumping summersault. I'll stand up and fall over.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
oh no that sucked

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This is giving me big Fencing feels where the two dudes tap each other at the same time and then someone tells us which tap counts

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't get it. There is no force behind it. Is it just sparring where you pull everything?

Scoring points I guess.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't get it. There is no force behind it. Is it just sparring where you pull everything?

Scoring points I guess.

Yeah, you score points for contact not for force with leads to the issue

Like, that one dudes hook kick at the end of the round was cool but it also felt kind of silly because it was literally a gentle tap with no force.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok well these guys are doing something.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Pretty much. As it's become more of a sport over martial art it's about control as much as anything else. It's been over 20 years since I did any competition though so I'm completely out of the loop with rules these days.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have to say this is far better than TKD so far.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The commentators have no idea what to say. There is no history of this lol.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The British guy I've got as commentator isn't too bad, really knows his stuff but it's not rivetting commentary.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
kyokushin/knockdown karate rules and should get a slot in these tokyo olympics. it's pretty much bare knuckle kickboxing with fist strikes (elbows too i think?) only allowed below the neck and kicks permitted anywhere including straight to the dome. check out some vids on youtube instead of watching lame rear end kata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXKilSZbWQ

edit: lol oh yeah and no rounds!

quote:

Points are scored by knocking the opponent out, down to the floor, by sweep and controlled follow up for half a point, or by otherwise visibly incapacitating them. Unless there is a knockdown or sweep, the bout is continuous, with stoppages only to break up locked clinches or if the fighters leave the fight area.

Everyones Favorite Poster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 5, 2021

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

kyokushin/knockdown karate rules and should get a slot in these tokyo olympics. it's pretty much bare knuckle kickboxing with fist strikes (elbows too i think?) only allowed below the neck and kicks permitted anywhere including straight to the dome. check out some vids on youtube instead of watching lame rear end kata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXKilSZbWQ

edit: lol oh yeah and no rounds!

Karate Combat still better :colbert:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is that the one Bas Rutten is involved in?

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

meh! looks like they use gloves and have rounds? may as well just watch kickboxing or mma at that point.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

Is that the one Bas Rutten is involved in?

Yeah. They also brought in GSP and Lyoto Machida. Surprisingly real good fights.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm kinda getting into this.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah. They also brought in GSP and Lyoto Machida. Surprisingly real good fights.

That's cool. I thought the ring looked weird as gently caress but I've watched a bit of it and it's cool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

That's cool. I thought the ring looked weird as gently caress but I've watched a bit of it and it's cool.

Honestly I kind of wish UFC or another MMA group was use their pit design because it would end the takedown avoidance by putting your back to the cage

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, that's true. Stops guys holding on to the cage as well I guess.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This has been much more watchable than I expected.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

alright this is pretty sick with the chaotic attacks and yelling

fnox
May 19, 2013

I don’t understand the scoring at all. Seems like they sometimes score for the guy that got punched in the face? I get that it’s point fighting but is it just the first one to hit that scores?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Overall I liked it. FAR better than TKD. Although I think they're trying to fool the judges a bit with yells. They'll yell and just stop fighting because it seems like they think they scored a point and then the ref stops it afterwards. So I think they're milking that a bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TKD is better than judo and karate imo cause at least in that the scoring makes sense

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rarity posted:

TKD is better than judo and karate imo cause at least in that the scoring makes sense

:wrong:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rarity posted:

Scoring in Judo is literally the simplest thing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I tried watching TKD this year and just couldn't do it. All they do is drop their hands at their sides and dance around throwing the same kick back and fourth. Couldn't believe how boring it was.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I tried watching TKD this year and just couldn't do it. All they do is drop their hands at their sides and dance around throwing the same kick back and fourth. Couldn't believe how boring it was.

As much as karate kata sucks, I would love to see some TKD kata or board breaking or poo poo.

Like, make this Olympic TKD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIRbxpXoEtE

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah. That would be super cool.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Karate is on right now again. Kata atm. Kumite will be on later I'm assuming.

I don't mind kata. I really enjoyed doing it when I was in TKD. Just doing your best to master a series of moves. I thought it was fun and liked getting everything as smooth as I could.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Come on karate thread it's live right now. Get into it.

I'm gettin' drunk and probably high soon so let's get this train on the rails.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok so yeah, the kata is kinda boring.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The commentators have no idea what to say. There is no history of this so they're just trying to comment on what they see. This is all brand new. So they are silent for a lot.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I'm surprised at Japan's poor showing so far, they're doing well enough in kata but their kumite performance is really lacking and they can't advance past groups.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yup. You're penalized if you injure your opponent in kumite.

Kata is a show of artistry and discipline but unless you play it yourself you'll have no idea what you're looking at, so it's not much for watching. Ditto poomsae, the TKD equivalent. Demonstration versions of both sports would be flashy and exciting and completely indistinguishable from each other and impossible to score; at that point it's rhythmic gymnastics with splinters.

Competition TKD has the potential to be exciting but the meta has become sooooo loving dull because most of the permitted techniques have more sensible counters, so you're limited to side kicks, 180 hook kicks to the back of the head, or stealing points with straight punches, which nobody ever does because it only scores one and the other guy's going to do the same thing. It's not even a "it's different if you play it yourself" cause I had a hard time sitting through it too. Of course their hands are low because head punches aren't allowed (them's the rules), and blocking a kick to the head with your arms would be stupid when you can just move or get your leg in the way. Leg blocks aren't allowed either, but if you just so happen to be kicking at the same time...

Bring back kyung-go penalties and make it a deduction to clearly initiate a clinch, or to be attacked first, and open it up a bit

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Two gold medal matches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIRaPuFkwRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsmqUuTIoyg

I don't watch much TKD, but the men here seem to have extremely TKD stances and tactics. Convergent evolution from similar rulesets or actually competing in TKD as well?

I get the need for rating the cleanness of techniques, in a domain where you don't judge on damage or end fights over accumulated damage. Don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand. Hey, ref, what do you think of me debating this?:
https://i.imgur.com/B63XhR9.mp4

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Honestly I just went back to watching C-tier MMA after the first night because Olympic Karate was awful.

Give us Olympic MMA, cowards.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Muay thai should get in the Olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just was like a ten-minute break in the women’s 61kg for an Italian woman getting cut, they had to change the mats.