Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

His Divine Shadow posted:

A steam juicer, mainly for making cordial, but also apple sauce and apple cordial.

This looks so cool, I've never knew about these until now.
I read up on it, and I learned a new trick where you place glass marbles in the water boiling part, and so if the water risks getting too low, the marbles rattle letting you know to add more water. I will use that trick for when I steam my dumplings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

LowOnCyan posted:

This looks so cool, I've never knew about these until now.
I read up on it, and I learned a new trick where you place glass marbles in the water boiling part, and so if the water risks getting too low, the marbles rattle letting you know to add more water. I will use that trick for when I steam my dumplings.

Other trick: place a coin in the bottom of the water boiling part. When it starts to rattle worryingly loudly, it's time to add more water!
Used successfully to guide a very, very long tamale-steaming session.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I bought a travel trailer!Well, bought is a strong word, I guess I put a deposit down on a travel trailer with an estimated manufacturing lead time of two years. So in two years I’ll have an RV! Which gives me plenty of time to also go out and buy a truck. I’d say I’m spectacularly unprepared for this, but probably so are most people right before they make the worst financial decision of their life.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A second OEM key for my Abarth.

And a new ATV, since my kids pretty much outgrew the old 220cc one and this one has 4x4 and can be used for plowing the driveway and dragging trees with a winch.

It hit the dealer floor yesterday; didn’t even make it onto the website before my wife and son swooped in and put a deposit on it. It’s a Suzuki King Quad 400.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

It's for having a good pull in the morning.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

I bought a travel trailer!Well, bought is a strong word, I guess I put a deposit down on a travel trailer with an estimated manufacturing lead time of two years. So in two years I’ll have an RV! Which gives me plenty of time to also go out and buy a truck. I’d say I’m spectacularly unprepared for this, but probably so are most people right before they make the worst financial decision of their life.

Nah man, that's not the worst financial decision. The upkeep on an RV isn't that bad.

The worst financial decision is buying a boat. Speaking of, I'm thinkin about a small boat...

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

OniPanda posted:

Nah man, that's not the worst financial decision. The upkeep on an RV isn't that bad.

The worst financial decision is buying a boat. Speaking of, I'm thinkin about a small boat...

As a counterpoint, my uncle recently sold his small boat (rowboat size but with an outboard engine, if there is a proper term I don’t know it) for roughly what he paid for it in the mid-1980s.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Used market for everything is upside down right now due to supply chain fuckery. I ain't actually buyin poo poo til that gets flowin again.

Was lookin for a used bike for my partner, couldn't find anything worth the price. Traded in my bike for a used one, they gave me more than they normally would for it ($800) cause they could put less than $1000 in parts and labor to do minimal work, and turn around and sell it for at least $2500 easy.

OniPanda has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jul 31, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I got upset at some flies ruining a little get together for some snacks in my place, so I got this:

Think it was only $40 from Amazon.

It does its job well, it literally started zapping bugs I didn't even know were around..

When enough bugs collect I just tip them out..

The ad copy claims the UV light approximates human breath?!

Thing that bothers me though is that I sometimes see certain flies literally withstand repeated jolts before going down; in fact I've had one or two that I've had to pick up and flush down the toilet because they seem have actual resistance to electric shock.

It's almost always these flies with metallic skin, too..

There was also this huge mosquito that took hours to totally drop, it was like watching a zombie movie where the zombie keeps getting back up after getting hit with shot after shot..

mystes
May 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

So I got upset at some flies ruining a little get together for some snacks in my place, so I got this:

Think it was only $40 from Amazon.

It does its job well, it literally started zapping bugs I didn't even know were around..

When enough bugs collect I just tip them out..

The ad copy claims the UV light approximates human breath?!

Thing that bothers me though is that I sometimes see certain flies literally withstand repeated jolts before going down; in fact I've had one or two that I've had to pick up and flush down the toilet because they seem have actual resistance to electric shock.

It's almost always these flies with metallic skin, too..

There was also this huge mosquito that took hours to totally drop, it was like watching a zombie movie where the zombie keeps getting back up after getting hit with shot after shot..
You're breeding super mosquitos that are going to rise up and overthrow the human race.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You should see when a June bug gets stuck in those. :black101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Binary Badger posted:

<Insert science-y stuff here>

quote:

“Bug zappers are good for attracting insects that are attracted to bug zappers,” Leslie Vosshall, a neurobiology professor at the Rockefeller University, told us. This often doesn’t include mosquitoes or any other biting insects. A study from the University of Delaware tracked six residential bug zappers over a 10-week period and found that of the 13,789 insects killed, only 31 were biting flies (including mosquitoes). That’s a sad 0.22 percent. Given this, it’s no shock that the authors of the study concluded that bug zappers are “worthless for biting fly reduction.” In a similar vein, the American Mosquito Control Association notes that Notre Dame researchers conducted two studies on bug zappers (neither of which is online) and found that “mosquitoes comprised merely 4.1% and 6.4%, respectively, of the daily catch over an entire season.” As the Colorado State University Extension puts it, “No controlled scientific study has shown that these devices reduce mosquito biting rates outdoors.”

Pretty bad, right? Well it gets worse once you begin to understand which bugs are getting killed. According to the Delaware study, the zapped bugs include “many thousands of nontarget insects representing a rich taxonomic diversity.” This unfocused insect elimination is so extreme that, according to the authors of the University of Delaware study, “Even if targeted biting flies were effectively controlled by electric zappers, the resulting destruction of thousands of parasitoids, predators, aquatic insects, and other members of the nocturnally active fauna would be difficult to justify.” University of Florida professor Jonathan Day told us, “We’re in a big enough crisis with colony collapse with honey bees that I think anything that impacts a beneficial insect population is problematic.”

The ripple effect of this wholesale bug eradication hasn’t been fully explored. But Joe Conlon, technical adviser of the American Mosquito Control Association and an entomologist with nearly 40 years of experience, writes, “Indeed, reduced numbers of moth and beetle prey species have contributed significantly to the decline of songbird populations in many affluent suburbs. Insect electrocution devices undoubtedly bear some responsibility for this phenomenon.” With the possibility of bug zappers creating voids in the food chain, the authors of the University of Delaware study also express concern for bats and nighthawks, both of which survive by eating insects nocturnally.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Android Apocalypse posted:

You should see when a June bug gets stuck in those. :black101:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A bunch of these things, hopefully if the seller does not spaz out:

Berry pickers for picking lingonberries and bilberries. Gonna make a restoration project out of them and fit a wooden overgrip to the handles, which are otherwise uncomfortable. But gently caress the modern plastic ones, they suck.

Borrowed a wooden one for now.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Picking up my first Lego set tomorrow, very excited

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coffee And Pie posted:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hope you don’t get addicted to how ridiculously chill it is to put Lego sets together.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Doing the wood floor on this set was a complete nightmare. But it's still a great set.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tim Whatley posted:

Doing the wood floor on this set was a complete nightmare. But it's still a great set.

Doing the screen on this one was rough.

https://i.imgur.com/FgLlLWq.gifv

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rolo posted:

Hope you don’t get addicted to how ridiculously chill it is to put Lego sets together.

gently caress that, I hope you get bit hard. I just noticed that my Statue of Liberty was misaligned on the peristalsis somehow so I’ve got to go tear things down and redo it. darn

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lego are only fun to assemble if you're high, racing someone else doing the same set, or doing the "build it in the bag" thing.

Or mix the pieces all up and try to assemble it without instructions like a puzzle.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Smaller world, surely?

For content, because I love Japanese woodblock prints and apparently hate money, I got a book on Hokusai's Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji:

It's one of those super-fancy oversized editions with special binding and clothbound box and customized packaging. Pretty sure I posted about them before, but this time I didn't have the self-control to wait for a sale :negative:

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Bottom Liner posted:

Lego are only fun to assemble if you're high, racing someone else doing the same set, or doing the "build it in the bag" thing.

Or mix the pieces all up and try to assemble it without instructions like a puzzle.

For me, I like to pour all the pieces together in the box. There's a certain zen that comes from sifting through all the pieces to find the next one.

It takes longer to build, but I find this method quite relaxing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Shiftypenguin posted:

For me, I like to pour all the pieces together in the box. There's a certain zen that comes from sifting through all the pieces to find the next one.

I do this with a show I like and a nice glass of rum or whiskey.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

My son and I did the Voltron set to a rewatch of the Voltron:LG series. But we queued up the 80's combining montage when we finally finished the lions and formed Voltron.

Then I had to lie flat on the floor and twinging in pain because my old back had no business being hunched over for that many hours.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Shiftypenguin posted:

I'm the opposite. I'm so much more happy now that they come in numbered bags so I don't have to hunt forever to find the piece I need. There's just enough hunting through the number to get that, but not so much hunting as to be frustrating.

I have bought much fishing gear over the past while, this is the easiest to post. Shimano Talica 10II. Loaded it with 30 lb braid and 40 lb fluoro top shot. Bit spendy, but a good reel is a good investment.

Also got a bunch of tackle and jigs and such, and stuff for building my own rods. This reel is going on a rod I'm building that's for slow pitch jigging. Got an array of slow pitch jigs to go along with it. Will post pics when it's done.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

The star, Louise Lasser, is, um, different. She was one of the first people to be banned from hosting SNL (although she's says she wasn't).

If you haven't already seen it, be sure to follow-up your MH,MH marathon with Blood Rage, the slasher/horror movie she made that is totally bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUIVHM4F-M

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Warbird posted:

gently caress that, I hope you get bit hard. I just noticed that my Statue of Liberty was misaligned on the peristalsis somehow so I’ve got to go tear things down and redo it. darn

You mean pedestal?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

spookygonk posted:

You mean pedestal?

you don't assemble your lego sets in your own viscera? smh

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Don't you kink shame me!

fukking autocorrect

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
https://www.amazon.com/Pork-King-Go...ps%2C149&sr=8-7

These are the best pork rinds I've ever had in my entire life. They have a bunch of flavors, ranging from good to ok but the white cheddar is easily my favorite. It kind of gives me a buttered popcorn flavor more than a cheese flavor. Ranch is also good and I don't even like the dressing or most things flavored as ranch. It's a bit more intense with it's flavor where as the white cheddar is pretty subtle.

I've ordered them 4 or 5 different times at this point and they are always consistent in texture, relatively light and fluffy.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

New house requires a new grill.

Weber Spirit II e-310

And it came with free assembly, the guy comes tomorrow to put it together. Otherwise this would have been me:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought even more synth crap!

And a little stand off Etsy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Weber Spirit II e-310

And it came with free assembly, the guy comes tomorrow to put it together. Otherwise this would have been me:

I hope you get a bit coin talk with it. The guy Amazon sent to assemble mine said he was doing it to buy bitcoins because his wife wouldn't let him spend his day job money on it. Same grill.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Ergo, that grill is cursed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Aramek posted:

Ergo, that grill is cursed.

"The grill can cook many fine foods!"

"That's good!"

"The food contains sodium benzoate."

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I bought a fancy ear cleaner with a camera so I can see inside my head. I'll spare everyone the pics but it works pretty well after dealing with getting it connected to my phone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Weber Spirit II e-310

I got the same model two years ago and it’s been a champ. I did replace one of the grills with a drop in griddle.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Rolo posted:

I bought even more synth crap!

And a little stand off Etsy.

I know nothing of synths, but that looks like one sexy piece of kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Weber Spirit II e-310

I’ve had a 210 for 5 years. Thing still looks pretty dang new. Def worth the price of admission compared to some cheaper ones that last 2-3 years max before becoming rust buckets.