Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your dreams also hosed up?
OMG its not a tuggin thread?
You Tuggin?
gently caress off Derpies
Goku
View Results

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey GBS,

So like we all probably dream at least a little, and their are some very common dream tropes/themes that seem to be at some subconscious level base human fears and concerns that manifest themselves in the same kind of dreams for everyone in some fashion.

So my question to you is what kind of recurring dreams do you have when your subconscious is all hosed up from stress/life/tuggin/existing and trying to avoid having you collapse into a pile of existential dread???

I have the following most prominent dream archetypes myself, and this thread was spurred by having a similar style dream last night:

1) Being in some kind of catastrophic accident or event (last night it was a massive avalanche), most usually a plane crash, where I always survive in some weird fashion (my personal favorite was surfing down from the sky on the exit door of the plane and somehow landing safely) or the plane makes some crazy landing in a field or a road and everything is OK. Allegedly from my internet research this is something about being stressed but everything is going to somehow be OK and your subconscious is trying to sort all that out.

2) Teeth falling out. I think this is a real common one and also usually stress related in some fashion.

3) Driving my car but I am in the back seat and it is just really loving hard and annoying and the entire time I am like, why am I trying to drive from all the way back here?

I'd say since having a mini derps I have a 1B type dream where their is some disaster and me and mini derps both make it out OK, like the avalanche dream I had last night, so that's a whole other set of things to think about.

But yeah GBS how does your unconscious gently caress with you at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My brakes don't work or I don't have the strength to push hard enough and I slowly sail right off the edge of the cliff, usually by missing a turn. It's so vivid. The fall can be long or short

Me in the car falling to a certain crashing rolling rocky cliff death

Every loving time

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

In my dreams every night, I'm strapped up and ready to be milked, but the milking never comes :(

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The alst dream I had I was in a go-kart, OP

:peanut:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'm not really stressed at the moment, so no bad dreams from me captain! But the ones I do recall were about falling off very tall cliffs and I think there also were dreams about my teeth falling out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I get the teeth falling out one every so often, too.

The weirdest repeating nightmare I have is one where I'm in an unfamiliar house sneaking around for some reason. The house is dark except for the living room, where the TV is on but tuned to static, and there's a person on the couch watching the static (or maybe asleep, it's not totally clear). I have to sneak behind the couch to get out the house, which means I pass right behind this person. Every time I've had this dream the person turns around really slowly as I walk past them.

I've had roughly this exact same dream 4 times in the last 2 years and every time I wake up screaming, absolutely terrifying my poor wife.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have dreams that I'm surrounded by snakes. Not like thousands of snakes but everywhere I turn there's a snake. I get the teeth falling out thing (mine crumble). I die in dreams a lot. You know how usually you wake up before you die in a dream? Sometimes I die and I'm conscious of being dead for a period before I wake up. I don't think that's normal? Or at least I've never heard anyone say they've been dead in dreams before.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have to pee but when I go the bathroom (public or otherwise) theres no toilets or urinals. Just empty stalls. Maybe I shouldn't drink liquids before going to bed

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the same thing but I think your dream brain is just in a coma or something, or in that dmt induced moment, or something, not truly dream dead. I have definitely had the thought 'oh hm I'm dead now, this is it? poo poo this is going to get boring'

which is also incidentally my greatest fear I think - just an eternity of nothingness trapped in my still conscious human brain

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I wake up realizing that i have to go to an exam in 3 hours and I haven't been in class or touched the books in months. Then I realize that I dropped the course and haven't been in college for years but it's always a fun dream to have.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm not really stressed at the moment, so no bad dreams from me captain! But the ones I do recall were about falling off very tall cliffs and I think there also were dreams about my teeth falling out.

I don't know if I would even define them as bad dreams all the time, usually just seems to be a way for my brain to alert me on like "hey dumbass you are stressed or worrying about something take care of your poo poo already".

Colonel Cancer posted:

I wake up realizing that i have to go to an exam in 3 hours and I haven't been in class or touched the books in months. Then I realize that I dropped the course and haven't been in college for years but it's always a fun dream to have.

I have these ones too, actually all the time, and I have no idea what they really relate too. I also have gotten ones from all levels of school that are like "you didnt do this one 3rd grade/7th grade/High school class" and I have to go back to repeat them. I'll chalk those up to imposter syndrome or something.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I have definitely had #3! Sometimes I pull over onto the shoulder of the highway and try and get back into the car in the front seat but I end up in the back one again, reaching around the seat trying to grab the wheel. Other times I get out of the car, put the car in my pocket, then get on a bike and get back on the highway. I have never died in one of these dreams..

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

teeth falling out in my dreams all the time

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
My family will contract a preventable virus because I live in a state of morons.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Ventral EggSac posted:

I have definitely had #3! Sometimes I pull over onto the shoulder of the highway and try and get back into the car in the front seat but I end up in the back one again, reaching around the seat trying to grab the wheel. Other times I get out of the car, put the car in my pocket, then get on a bike and get back on the highway. I have never died in one of these dreams..

I also never die in these I am just like incredibly inconvenienced and perplexed as to how the hell I am driving from the back seat, why the hell I am doing it, and how the hell it it happened. I am a pretty crazy rear end vivid dreamer already and have times where I am fully conscious it is a dream, so when I am in this particular dream subset and know it is a dream I just feel extra pissed in them now.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Derpies posted:

I also never die in these I am just like incredibly inconvenienced and perplexed as to how the hell I am driving from the back seat, why the hell I am doing it, and how the hell it it happened. I am a pretty crazy rear end vivid dreamer already and have times where I am fully conscious it is a dream, so when I am in this particular dream subset and know it is a dream I just feel extra pissed in them now.

I definitely get scared like I am going to lose control

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A Fancy Hat posted:

I get the teeth falling out one every so often, too.

The weirdest repeating nightmare I have is one where I'm in an unfamiliar house sneaking around for some reason. The house is dark except for the living room, where the TV is on but tuned to static, and there's a person on the couch watching the static (or maybe asleep, it's not totally clear). I have to sneak behind the couch to get out the house, which means I pass right behind this person. Every time I've had this dream the person turns around really slowly as I walk past them.

I've had roughly this exact same dream 4 times in the last 2 years and every time I wake up screaming, absolutely terrifying my poor wife.

haha so this is awkward, uh, that's me, your subconscious cable box gets all the subconscious PPV channels for free, unscrambled, sorry about the time i drank that whole dream six-pack you left in the mystery mind fridge and made kind of a mess

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Smugworth posted:

In my dreams every night, I'm strapped up and ready to be milked, but the milking never comes :(

Freud probably covered this, Jung for sure.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i've been naked in dreams so many times it doesn't even bother me any more. i'm just a sleep nudist now.

a lot of needing to piss and looking for a bathroom that's never there. lots of being back in school but i don't know the schedule so i don't know where to go. lots of traveling somewhere and losing my luggage/rental/ticket home.

worst is when i'm back working for my boss during my internship. that guy was a such a bastard he almost killed my creativity and love for my craft. haven't seen him in well over ten years but he still lives rent free in my idiot dream brain.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wall Balls posted:

lots of being back in school but i don't know the schedule so i don't know where to go.

I get heaps of this one. I don't think it was ever an issue at the time. I always end up in one specific classroom.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

after my son was born i had tremendously realistic and horrifying of me dropping him on his head and like huge iron beams falling on his head and poo poo and theyve gone away since i started smoking weed again but they were loving awful

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Derpies posted:

I'd say since having a mini derps I have a 1B type dream

I prefer 2B dreams.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Meme Poker Party posted:

I prefer 2B dreams.

9S...

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Sid Vicious posted:

after my son was born i had tremendously realistic and horrifying of me dropping him on his head and like huge iron beams falling on his head and poo poo and theyve gone away since i started smoking weed again but they were loving awful

Yeah dreams about trying to keep your kids safe are terrifying, in my avalanche one last night I literally ripped mini derps out of my sisters arms and barely got her to safety as an avalanche smashed into the rest of my family. No fun !

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I have this one too.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
They start out that I’m in this diner, but it’s not day or night. It’s kind of half-night, you know? But it looks just like normal… except for the light. And I’m scared like I can’t tell you. Of all people, you’re standing right over by the counter. You’re scared too. I get even more frightened when I see how afraid you are and then I realise what it is. There’s a man in back of this place. He’s the one who’s doing it. I can see him through the wall. I can see his face. I hope that I never see that face, ever, outside of a dream.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Derpies posted:

3) Driving my car but I am in the back seat and it is just really loving hard and annoying and the entire time I am like, why am I trying to drive from all the way back here?

Lmfao I get this one really often, or I'm driving in the front seat and for some reason I can't move my legs (I think this is prob my leg falling asleep in my sleep) so I'm like, pushing the accelerator when I'm trying to break because I can't move my leg and there isn't enough room to get my one leg over the other or some dumb poo poo.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Any kind of fight I ever get into in a dream I am also comically ineffective and its like I am trying to punch or kick through water. I have read that is your bodies way of keeping you from absolutely poo poo house loving yourself up while asleep though. When I was on an SSRI in college I literally had a getting mugged dream and punched the wall in my sleep super hard right over my girlfriends head and yikes that hurt in the morning. SSRI must have shut off that self preservation part of dream brain.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If it's hand to hand combat i whip rear end but if I'm trying to use a gun they just shrug it off like we're playing cops and robbers and they're saying "nuhuh I'm not dead"

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i just always get the poo poo kicked out of me in my dreams whereas in real life i blackout and behave like a rabid wolverine and have never lost a fight since middle school

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I always get shot, but then I’m just fine. It’s a shock every time too, cause I’m like “oh poo poo here it comes I’m dead” then I hear the shot and can tell it hit me but I’m just good.

My unconscious knows I have a very powerful body.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

1. Teeth falling out, like so many others have stated.

2. I'm a type 1 diabetic and when I was using syringes to take insulin I would frequently dream that I'd go to give myself an injection, put the needle in, and it would shoot right back out, like my body was just rejecting it. These dreams stopped when I switched from syringes to flexpens

3. I used to dream that I'd get into a fight and I'd never be able to do any damage. I'd go to throw a punch and it would be like I was swinging underwater or something, really exaggerated slow motion and just completely ineffective. These stopped as soon as I broke up with my girlfriend at the time and since then I've had no trouble fighting in dreams.

4. This is going to sound like I'm a goony gently caress who's joking but I'm serious: I dream that I have to poo poo badly. Like "groundhog poking it's head out of a hole" badly, and I can't find a toilet that I'm comfortable using. This only started a couple of years ago and I don't know why.

5. In general, if I dream about a loved one it's going to be awful. We'll be fighting/hateful/breaking up/broken up. Happens with my wife, parents, siblings, and best friend. In real life I never fight with any of these people about anything, so I assume it's just my brain having anxiety about that.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

I am back in my college days and the fleas are back and they never go away and i can feel them crawling on my skin and hopping on and off and im crying

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

RepeatingMeme posted:

I am back in my college days and the fleas are back and they never go away and i can feel them crawling on my skin and hopping on and off and im crying

you just reminded me when I was a kid we had a flea infestation real bad for a season

man fleas blow

BOING

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

when i was a kid i would have terrible nightmares about being out horseback riding and i would see this fenceline and on the other side everything was dead and my horse would bolt and jump the fence and become a skeleton and buck me off and trample me and right before i was stomped on i would wake up and im assuming its related to actually being kicked by a horse idk

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I don’t really ever have nightmares which is great because I’m a sick anxious mess all day long except on the weekends that I don’t have obligations to people

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Remembering that I live in the USA.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Derpies posted:

Any kind of fight I ever get into in a dream I am also comically ineffective and its like I am trying to punch or kick through water. I have read that is your bodies way of keeping you from absolutely poo poo house loving yourself up while asleep though. When I was on an SSRI in college I literally had a getting mugged dream and punched the wall in my sleep super hard right over my girlfriends head and yikes that hurt in the morning. SSRI must have shut off that self preservation part of dream brain.

I can't punch at all in a dream but I can kick very effectively. If I kick the monster I'm probably going to win and then the dream is about me getting distracted and doing fun flip-kicks.

That's how my one Freddy Kruger dream ended. But when I woke up the foot I kicked him with hurt a little.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My three main archetypes that recur are pretty straightforward. Two bad, one good.

The first is a super religious imagery laden nightmare. One wherein revelations or similar plays out but no one that does what they should has anything positive happen. These nightmares don't typically involve me in them, I'm just observing and unable to do anything as loved ones are consumed by fire and their flesh eaten away by insects. Not so fun.

The next nightmare is the layered one. The content itself differs but the core of it is that I have a nightmare and I "wake up", but then I quickly realise I'm still dreaming. Things still go horribly. I can actually lucid dream in these nightmares because I am aware they are nightmares. But my brain seems to correct for it so no matter what I do to help myself it is countered by my own brain.
The real trick is that I have a layer where I die or something horrible shocks me, I "wake up" and it repeats. The content doesn't matter but after nine layers and I really genuinely wake up I spend hours, I mean hours, questioning reality and looking for any signs. Because I have memory and lucidity problems at times anyway and losing touch with reality permanently is one of my biggest fears.

The last one I simply call "movie dreams". These are good. Unlike most dreams these are logical and connected. There's no smash cuts, nothing is out of place, there's a plot, there's camera angles, everything. I'm never in these. It is literally a movie I watch. I've had some brilliant ones I still remember. Those are my favourite dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sometimes i have dreams that my dick is so big it scares me. it's over five inches long. incredible