Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Huh. Just noticed I have a Fantasia sitting in my inventory. Which begs the question: thread? What should I Fantasia to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Huh. Just noticed I have a Fantasia sitting in my inventory. Which begs the question: thread? What should I Fantasia to?

I kinda wonder what the shortest, most jacked roe would look like. I wonder how close you can get to "as wide as you are tall"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah I do understand their argument for not having shortened the MSQ grind.
But to be uncharitable and realistic they are also financially incentivised to keep the grind as long as possible via both subs and the paid story skip.

It does mean I cant ever recommend the game to any of my mmo friends which sucks.
Its OK for me coming in at 60 but I remember how bad that grind was coming in during HW

I'd only ever recommend it with a story skip and that would make getting started a lot more expensive.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There's been a lot of talk about it in the main thread too, it's a real problem, and it's only going to get worse as they release more expansions. I could see them adding some sort of fast-track option after the next one comes out, honestly. But for now, story is the focus, so they don't want to encourage people to skip it!

Personally, I think they could just give the expansions a trim like they did with ARR, and take a look at the distribution of skills along the level curve for classes. Some of them don't really get good until you're up in the 60s or 70s, because they've removed old abilities from lower levels and added new ones at higher levels. It would be nice if the whole experience were more even.

In two or three expansions they could do an accelerated start or even squish the whole level curve, once there's a good amount of post-Endwalker stuff.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

On that, a big thing I noticed when level syncing things, is that Vercure doesn't come online until at least after 50. One of the whole entire deals of RDM is that they use both white and black magic, so not even giving me a cure in sub-50 dungeons sucks. There were several times in runs where I could have saved the tank/healer, but nope, no Vercure.

I get they want to introduce things slowly, and especially classes like RDM that just start at 50 and don't have a ramp up you don't want to overwhelm folks, but I don't think it'd be too much to toss in a couple extras, since to even get RDM you'd have to at least have gotten to 50 and would be presumably used to things.

My 24 CNJ is fine, but the entire gameplay currently is aero -> stone forever. Dungeons feel fun though as I'm bouncing between healing the tank and lobbing rocks at things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Saxophone posted:

On that, a big thing I noticed when level syncing things, is that Vercure doesn't come online until at least after 50. One of the whole entire deals of RDM is that they use both white and black magic, so not even giving me a cure in sub-50 dungeons sucks. There were several times in runs where I could have saved the tank/healer, but nope, no Vercure.

I get they want to introduce things slowly, and especially classes like RDM that just start at 50 and don't have a ramp up you don't want to overwhelm folks, but I don't think it'd be too much to toss in a couple extras, since to even get RDM you'd have to at least have gotten to 50 and would be presumably used to things.

My 24 CNJ is fine, but the entire gameplay currently is aero -> stone forever. Dungeons feel fun though as I'm bouncing between healing the tank and lobbing rocks at things.

You get Vercure at 54 and Verraise at 64. Real fun being told to rez someone in content below 64 and being like "If you were planning around me being able to rez you I have bad news."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

Hang onto it until you decide that something else looks cool and you want to try playing that race instead; they don't expire.

(I am heavily biased towards Roegadames.)

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I do understand their argument for not having shortened the MSQ grind.
But to be uncharitable and realistic they are also financially incentivised to keep the grind as long as possible via both subs and the paid story skip.

It does mean I cant ever recommend the game to any of my mmo friends which sucks.
Its OK for me coming in at 60 but I remember how bad that grind was coming in during HW

I'd only ever recommend it with a story skip and that would make getting started a lot more expensive.

Given there's a free trial I don't see any particular harm if you think they'd enjoy the gameplay to actually give it a shot. The storytelling and pacing speaks more to some folks than others. And the ARR/pre-HW grind and MSQ got overhauled within the last year.

I personally don't feel like "they're just keeping this MSQ long to make more money" gels with "we have zero actual restrictions on free trial playtime to the point where folks have been on the trial for a year now and still haven't given us a dime" and "Our director has flat out encouraged folks to unsub and take breaks from the game and play other titles if they need to." It's a Final Fantasy title with a shitload of story focus, that's their goal.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 5, 2021

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I think they should do picture books for each expansion like they did for the Shadowbringer backstory. Then you could either play through ARR, or flip through the book and head straight to Heavensward, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Saxophone posted:

Every once in a while I see some really cute and adorable lalafell pics and get tempted to fantasia to one, but then I punch myself in the nose.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Each day I'm tempted to roll a LALA with a pompadour again. Mine is stuck on Mateus.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Everyone should spend a little time as a lala, just to get a unique perspective on the world :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Hang onto it until you decide that something else looks cool and you want to try playing that race instead; they don't expire.

(I am heavily biased towards Roegadames.)

Given there's a free trial I don't see any particular harm if you think they'd enjoy the gameplay to actually give it a shot. The storytelling and pacing speaks more to some folks than others. And the ARR/pre-HW grind and MSQ got overhauled within the last year.

I personally don't feel like "they're just keeping this MSQ long to make more money" gels with "we have zero actual restrictions on free trial playtime to the point where folks have been on the trial for a year now and still haven't given us a dime" and "Our director has flat out encouraged folks to unsub and take breaks from the game and play other titles if they need to." It's a Final Fantasy title with a shitload of story focus, that's their goal.

All i mean is when they are considering how to" fix" the huge backlog of MSQs facing a new player, and the obvious fixes would all be replacing or devaluing the paid story skip, then the future loss of money will be a factor in their decision.

They are a business after all

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I could see them selling a combined level 90 and story skip bundle at some point to make the transition post endwalker easier for people but that's about the extent I think they'll be doing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So what do hand/land classes...do? Like, gameplay wise, what is the tactile, mechanical experience of it? I've heard that fisher is pretty involved but the impression I've gotten from memes is that the others are like...sub-captcha level games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tulip posted:

So what do hand/land classes...do? Like, gameplay wise, what is the tactile, mechanical experience of it? I've heard that fisher is pretty involved but the impression I've gotten from memes is that the others are like...sub-captcha level games.

That's basically correct. Back in 1.0 both miner and botanist had minigames they played to harvest but now you just walk to a node, click on it, and pick the thing you want from a menu that appears. You generally get 4 or 6 harvest attempts per node and you can harvest the same thing multiple times. Your skills primarily are things like "increase rate of HQ harvest by 30%".

Its slightly different for level cap because there are timed nodes that only appear at certain hours and usually require you to burn a few special skill uses but that's the gist of it, you're still picking what you want from a menu.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Begemot posted:

Everyone should spend a little time as a lala, just to get a unique perspective on the world :v:

Unique perspective on other players, more like.

Potato is not consent.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tulip posted:

You go to clusters of nodes, interact with one, get a window with every item you can faster from it and click the one you want until the node runs out of hits

You have skills to improve your success, yield, hq chances etc you can spend GP on

There’s a little more when you consider collectibles and such but that’s the core of it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Crafting can actually be quite involved. Every craft has a certain amount of durability, a progress rating, and a quality rating. You fill the progress bar and the item is crafted, as you fill the quality bar the % chance of the item being High Quality increases exponentially. You fill those bars by doing various crafting actions, most of which will reduce the durability bar, if the durability bar reaches 0 the craft fails (unless the last action that reduces it to 0 finishes the progress bar, then it still succeeds) and you lose most/all of the materials.

Usually it’s not hard to Normal Quality (aka NO Quality), but there are a variety of actions and buffs you can use and a few different tactics to attempting high quality on things.

That said usually most people just do macros that will automate the process using a predetermined set of actions that will reliably generate results, but that also has its limits and afaik if you’re crafting the latest and greatest sometimes you gotta do it manually and take gambles.

[Edit] DoH Gathering is a lot more simple, though it has collectibles which use a system vaguely similar to DoH crafting.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tulip posted:

Give you the best titles in the game, eventually.

(Zhloe's Best Friend/Little Piggy)

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Though I do recognize this game is has notably less pressure to race to the end than most MMOs.

As a new player I don't really feel like this is true? In my experience plus what I've seen people say in this thread I feel like I'm stuck in a limbo where all the promises that drew me to the game are locked behind reaching max level. The combat feels overly simplistic and rather underwhelming and the consensus is that I need to get to max level for it to properly come together. All the content I've done so far is either pretty dull sub-fetch quest solo stuff or extremely undertuned group content that is more tedious than anything else, so I need to get to max level to do challenging content. Even the story, which I'm not particularly bothered about, apparently only gets really good in the latest expansion so I have to slog through everything before it to get there (presumably at or close to max level).

Begemot posted:

There's been a lot of talk about it in the main thread too, it's a real problem, and it's only going to get worse as they release more expansions. I could see them adding some sort of fast-track option after the next one comes out, honestly. But for now, story is the focus, so they don't want to encourage people to skip it!

I get that the story is the focus etc., but to me it's a pretty big failing to not give players the choice to engage with the game in the way that they want. Just because they feel the story is great and they would want to experience it in its entirety, that doesn't mean everyone is going to feel that way and they're not wrong for thinking that. It's an MMO with a broad and diverse playerbase, at least make some effort to accommodate different playstyles and preferences.

Personally I was very surprised they don't at least offer an option to just level through the latest story content from the newest expansion. That's presumably the best and most up to date stuff anyway; just give me a cliff notes cutscene of what I missed to give me some context and let me get to the good stuff.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If you're in Heavensward or Stormblood and thinking the story isn't good yet then you're playing the wrong game and I doubt Shadowbringers is going to bring about the epiphany you're hoping for.

If you're still in ARR then yeah ok that poo poo is slow and while some people think it's good I would argue that those people are insane.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think most people say the story gets good at HW and most classes come together in the 50-60 range. Still annoyingly slow, but not endgame stuff by any means.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

As someone who's playing a fisher on one of my characters, it's not really that complicated -- pick your bait, throw your line, wait, and hope you don't get the same fish you got the last six times. I'm still only in the mid-30s as a fisher, so it may get more demanding later on, but I'm doubtful it will.

The real drawback, though, is that from what I can see most fish are completely useless. There are only a few you can cook if you're a culinarian; others can be mounted as trophies or put in an aquarium, but you need a house/apartment for that. Desynthesizing fish hasn't gotten me anything worthwhile so far except for a bunch of shards and sand and the occasional small Allagan coin.

Fishing can be fun if you like exploration for the sake of exploration; it can be entertaining to stumble across a new watering hole and see what you can catch in it, or discover a species you've never seen before. (I'm still ridiculously proud of the 41-inch sunfish I pulled out of the ocean on Umbra Isle.) But if you're looking to get rich or amass rare crafting materials, fishing ain't it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's an extremely rare title locked behind fishing, but it's extremely rare because it's hard to get, involving days of actual real time effort and watching for specific weather patterns.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ARR content isn't as complex as the fights that come later but still can be quite involved especially if you sync your gear down, as many streamers have discovered.

I don't know how WoW handles their leveling experience anymore but short of just including the story and level skips and sticking folks at the starting line of 5.0, I'm not sure how leveling your character through current expansion content alone would function. The issue with that is there are a ton of mechanics for encounters that build up over time and if you just skip to the end it's going to be a very bumpy ride engaging in current expansion trials and dungeons (also as some streamers have discovered).

FFXIV is not a "nothing matters beyond the current expansion" game. The journey is a very crucial part of the experience, not blasting 70-80 and trying to immediately engage with endgame content. Many jobs do start getting their broader toolkits when they get their job stones at 30 and build from there rather than be incomplete until 70+. Some of people's favorite content moments come from dungeons and raids that are available right at level 50.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 5, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

storywise i am finding all the characters to be very one dimensional. its a LOT more plot focussed than i thought from what people said.
the closest thing i've noticed to an arc among my pals so far is lady-alphinaud getting a lightsaber.

i dont particularly care about any of them as a result

i dunno, i'm here for the occasionally banging music and boss fights, and also to see if the hype matches shadowbringers story.
from what people are saying i think im gonna be told i wont like it but i'm open to it and i am open to final fantasy stories in general, this meandering tale of eorza vs the empire feat primals is still a more grounded and legible story than FF has produced in ages
so far i havent found the story to be any more thoughtful than a decent cartoon though

e: sorry dont mean to be only negative itt, just my experiences having come back
Ouroboros' post reminded me of how it was when i first tried getting into FF14 years ago and its a shame things dont sound better
I'm now in some fairly good content, but i still have 90 MSQ to go before i get to shadowbringers when all i wanna do is level through dungeons like god intended :(

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 5, 2021

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
playing for the first time its the between expansions-bits that really drag. the part between arr and hw is like, it feels as long as the entire game up to that point, you dont level once and not much happens for most of it. A lot of those parts really drag.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

idk, nobody told me I needed to be max level or anything. I played through 2.0 and liked it just fine, and this was ~6 years ago, before flying, quest pruning, and before teleport tokens for the Waking Sands. I just kinda took everything as it was and it was pretty good! The only time I considered buying a story skip was around level 65 or so, but then I got to a better part of the story and didn't.

If you think the story is bad and you just want to raid, you can skip it. But if its just going a little slow for you, skipping is probably going to be worse.

If you're sick of just grinding out the story quest, take a break and do something else for a bit. Level a crafter or gatherer, check out the gold saucer, maybe try out another job, if you're at least 50, maybe try putting together a party to do some extreme trials or coils or min-ilevel cape westwind.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 5, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it does need to be stressed to people trying to get up to current stuff ASAP: The game is basically in stasis right now until November, there's no rush at all to get current until then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plus it's only the beginning of August, you've got three full months until Endwalker, which is plenty of time to do the MSQ unless you only play for like an hour a day.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

maybe if you do an hour of nothing but MSQ but even then i think it's more than ~100 hours

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I'm pretty sure I'm still in ARR (though I can't be sure, is there some indication when you move on to the next expansion?) and the story is pretty much a complete non-entity at the moment, but that kinda fits what I've heard so I'll give it time.

Btw when do you get a mount? I heard level 20 but either that was wrong or I must have missed something because I'm almost lvl 30 and I don't have one yet.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly unless you have a whole pack of people to raid with as soon as you hit 90 in Endwalker there's no rush to get current at all. Just turn off shout chat and avoid hanging out in cities so you don't get spoilers and play through the MSQ at your own pace.

e:

Ouroboros posted:

Btw when do you get a mount? I heard level 20 but either that was wrong or I must have missed something because I'm almost lvl 30 and I don't have one yet.

Lv20 in MSQ. You can't miss it, the camera straight up zooms in on the NPC that gives you the quest and a text box pops up that says "You can't beat the game without finishing this quest" when you get to it

People would play all the way up to the end of the game without ever doing the quest to unlock mounts because it was technically optional before 5.3 lol

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 5, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Ouroboros posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm still in ARR (though I can't be sure, is there some indication when you move on to the next expansion?) and the story is pretty much a complete non-entity at the moment, but that kinda fits what I've heard so I'll give it time.

the quest accepted/quest complete noise changing is a good way to know without spoiling yourself. the heavensward quest accept/complete sound uses an organ!

mount is locked by MSQ progress, it's a level 20 MSQ quest which has no relation to the level of your character. if you don't have a mount yet keep doing the quest in the top left.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
please don't be current in time so we don't have another raubahn extreme situation on launch day tia

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ouroboros posted:

You've probably leveled ahead of the MSQ, it happens a lot. If you haven't joined a Grand Company yet you need to do more questing to get your mount.

Also, there will be credits when you finish an expansion, and then again when you finish the patches. You'll know when you get to the next part.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ouroboros posted:

Level 20 is right, but it's when the MSQ is level 20. Next time you pick up a quest, see what the required level for the quest is to know how close you are.

More specifically, it'll be after you do the first three dungeons and fight your first primal.

Also you've barely started ARR. It goes all the way to level 50 and a while after that. The way that you know that an expansion's story is done is that you see credits roll twice. Once for the end of the base release, once for the end of all the patch content. After that, the quest accepted/complete jingle will change for MSQ to that of the new expansion.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You're in Heavensward when the credits have rolled twice, the Quest Accepted jingle changes, all the voice actors change and the game puts the title "HEAVENSWARD" onscreen like two cutscenes in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's extremely obvious when you change expansions. A benefit of story first game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chillgamesh posted:

Honestly unless you have a whole pack of people to raid with as soon as you hit 90 in Endwalker there's no rush to get current at all. Just turn off shout chat and avoid hanging out in cities so you don't get spoilers and play through the MSQ at your own pace.

Echoing this point, the previous expansion content isn't going anywhere and roulettes are still going to be pushing people into older content so it's not a "be 80 or else by November 19th." situation at all.

Plus if you want to play Reaper or Sage you just need to be 70 when EW drops, not fully caught up on MSQ.

Edit: the final main story quest of every base expansion release (3.0/4.0/5.0) has the same name as the expansion itself.