Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

He's a "New College Hire", so he's probably in his early/mid twenties. I think maybe it's because he started while we were still fully remote so he's like, "I wanna get to know the rest of the team."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Give that poindexter a swirlie stat

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I received an offer for an internal promotion. Great news, right? It absolutely is! Only I can't sign any of the offer documentation because they sent it via Adobe Sign and apparently I don't have access to Adobe sign. I called IT, and it took 20 minutes to for them to figure this out. They gave me a form to request access, which may take up to seven(!) Business days to fulfill. :doh:

Oh yes I've got similar problems with a program called DocuSign. I'm on my third IT ticket telling them I don't have access to actually do stuff on it, each time they just close my ticket and say they've done it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh my loving GOD

New hire to the team decided to suggest to our boss a "Me Minute" segment for our weekly staff minute where each week someone rotates and says things about who they are outside of work. Fuuuuuuuck, kid.

We had a guy suggest we implement the email signatures saying "This email is for recipient only, delete if blablabla". Apparently he wasn't satisified with just "Regards, me" like normal people do.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I sort of missed the phishing topic, but I once got to report a legitimate HR email as phishing. Not really because it seemed suspicious, but because every single link had a note saying “(this link is NOT phishing)” next to it.

It’s like your new weed dealer saying “I’m not a cop” within 30 seconds of meeting him. Dude’s definitely a cop.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man that's bad. I swear I'm not a total misanthrope and have befriended and hung out with some coworkers in the past, but crap like this goes from "fun teambuilding" to "do it or you're being insubordinate and maybe you'll lose your income and health insurance if Hyrax doesn't share what he's grateful for four times a week."

If you have to tell a story I say give the people a story:

My AA meeting was really interesting this week, turns out my dad is an alcoholic too!

We visited my grandmother's grave but it had been vandalized by kids, my grandfather cried.

This week I took my therapist's advice and confronted the man who abused me but now he's senile and doesn't remember.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Outrail posted:

If you have to tell a story I say give the people a story:

My AA meeting was really interesting this week, turns out my dad is an alcoholic too!

We visited my grandmother's grave but it had been vandalized by kids, my grandfather cried.

This week I took my therapist's advice and confronted the man who abused me but now he's senile and doesn't remember.

I was in the office all week, even on the weekend. If someone were to ask you where I was or if you'd seen me you should feel comfortable telling then I was in the office. Because that's where I was, in the office.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
Up until recently I worked at the worst FAANG and I still wake up at night thinking about it.

Our Great Leader was super into the concept of "narratives" -- everything had to be a narrative. At first I was like, this is great! Dense reading material and high standards for writing instead of Powerpoints and email threads! No.

We had weekly and monthly business reviews where one might spend up to an entire day perfecting the wording of a single-paragraph update for leadership. By the end of the day, a manager would review it and probably entirely rewrite it to their liking. Never any changes to the data, just rewriting it in their own voice. Their manager would then review it, and ask for more supporting data to be stuffed into the paragraph or the appendix. This would get added to the full WBR/MBR document with every other team's status updates (usually 20+ updates), to be reviewed by a group of 50+ people simultaneously over video chat. In the 1-2 hour meeting (moved last minute to 7PM), the reviewers would make it through half of the document if they were lucky. Sometimes they would fixate on the first item or two never even getting to the rest, and several days worth of people-hours would have gone to waste.

If they did get to yours, there was a 0% chance that anyone would be interested in either escalating your issue, congratulating you, or looking to collaborate. There was a 100% chance that they would discuss whether the data your manager's manager asked you to add was really relevant to the update, and then be rushed along to the next status update once it became abundantly clear that no one wanted to discuss the issue being reported.

I lasted less than a year.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TacticalHoodie posted:

Is there a polite way to tell headhunters to gently caress off? I have the same woman contacting me about a payroll position at the call center I left 5 years ago. Everytime she does I have nightmares of this company buying my current employer out and forcing me to work in the call center because of restructuring. I also get the panic attacks due to the mental and physical abuse of supervisors and managers.

A file called resume.pdf containing only hello.jpg, depending on how badly you'd like to burn your bridges.

Shuu posted:

Up until recently I worked at the worst FAANG and I still wake up at night thinking about it.

Our Great Leader was super into the concept of "narratives" -- everything had to be a narrative. At first I was like, this is great! Dense reading material and high standards for writing instead of Powerpoints and email threads! No.

We had weekly and monthly business reviews where one might spend up to an entire day perfecting the wording of a single-paragraph update for leadership. By the end of the day, a manager would review it and probably entirely rewrite it to their liking. Never any changes to the data, just rewriting it in their own voice. Their manager would then review it, and ask for more supporting data to be stuffed into the paragraph or the appendix. This would get added to the full WBR/MBR document with every other team's status updates (usually 20+ updates), to be reviewed by a group of 50+ people simultaneously over video chat. In the 1-2 hour meeting (moved last minute to 7PM), the reviewers would make it through half of the document if they were lucky. Sometimes they would fixate on the first item or two never even getting to the rest, and several days worth of people-hours would have gone to waste.

If they did get to yours, there was a 0% chance that anyone would be interested in either escalating your issue, congratulating you, or looking to collaborate. There was a 100% chance that they would discuss whether the data your manager's manager asked you to add was really relevant to the update, and then be rushed along to the next status update once it became abundantly clear that no one wanted to discuss the issue being reported.

I lasted less than a year.

:rip:

That honestly sounds horrific.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gonna guess Amazon

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

I sort of missed the phishing topic, but I once got to report a legitimate HR email as phishing. Not really because it seemed suspicious, but because every single link had a note saying “(this link is NOT phishing)” next to it.

It’s like your new weed dealer saying “I’m not a cop” within 30 seconds of meeting him. Dude’s definitely a cop.

lol. We had a mass phishing reporting after someone used some sketchy invitation card site to send out notice for a organization-wide event. The URL in the email looked something like:

cashforyoureyes.info/RussianBrides/SocialSecurityAgency/stepbro/CompanyNameAnnualLunchRSVP

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AHH F/UGH posted:

Gonna guess Amazon

I feel like Netflix is objectively the worst FAANG as they're only there to not be FAAG.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TacticalHoodie posted:

Is there a polite way to tell headhunters to gently caress off? I have the same woman contacting me about a payroll position at the call center I left 5 years ago. Everytime she does I have nightmares of this company buying my current employer out and forcing me to work in the call center because of restructuring. I also get the panic attacks due to the mental and physical abuse of supervisors and managers.

Block their email and phone number.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I keep getting calls from people in the UK asking if I want to use their recruiting firm to hire for the company I work for. I do not live in the UK or manage HR. They call during meetings so I tell them Im in a meeting, call later

Not a single one of these companies ever calls me back.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Gonna guess Amazon

lol yes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My Amazon sense was tingling from like the first paragraph. This company sucks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

I feel like Netflix is objectively the worst FAANG as they're only there to not be FAAG.

other countries call it GAFAM

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Barudak posted:

I keep getting calls from people in the UK asking if I want to use their recruiting firm to hire for the company I work for. I do not live in the UK or manage HR. They call during meetings so I tell them Im in a meeting, call later

Not a single one of these companies ever calls me back.

Does their name start with a V?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

other countries call it GAFAM

I thought they called it NAFAG

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Employees love when management is coy about return to office delays. Oh, maybe we'll announce something big this week during the Friday video meeting! Gotta tune in to find out! Not like employees need that info as soon as possible to plan their lives or childcare.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

He's a "New College Hire", so he's probably in his early/mid twenties. I think maybe it's because he started while we were still fully remote so he's like, "I wanna get to know the rest of the team."

Yep and there's nothing wrong with that. The thing is that it shouldn't be a manager sanctioned thing done during meetings or whatever. If dude wants to get to know people then let's hang out offline and do a happy hour something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Employees love when management is coy about return to office delays. Oh, maybe we'll announce something big this week during the Friday video meeting! Gotta tune in to find out! Not like employees need that info as soon as possible to plan their lives or childcare.

They're not just doing it to be coy, they're doing it because even they don't know for sure what's going to happen. I'm on a team involved in helping with certain office return aspects and we don't hear poo poo before it's announced to everyone via an email.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

They're not just doing it to be coy, they're doing it because even they don't know for sure what's going to happen. I'm on a team involved in helping with certain office return aspects and we don't hear poo poo before it's announced to everyone via an email.

Oh I agree if a manager tells their team they don't have any updates and that's the truth its understandable. It's a different boat when our leadership hints "you won't want to miss this meeting" just to boost their viewcount.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's how you convince people to not bother turning up to future talks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Lol I have never once attended a single non-mandatory meeting in my life, as far as I can recall. Unfortunately, almost every work meeting I've been "invited" to has been mandatory. But if it weren't, I'd just ask some other sucker coworker who did go if anything important happened. There's no "tease" on Earth that could get me to voluntarily go to an optional meeting. Maybe free pizza. If it was good pizza. Or booze.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The real reason middle managers want butts in seats is so they can bribe people to show up to quarterly all hands with pizza so somebody will show up to listen to how smart they are.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

zedprime posted:

The real reason middle managers want butts in seats is so they can bribe people to show up to quarterly all hands with pizza so somebody will show up to listen to how smart they are convinced that they are.
Fixed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I think that was implied.

And yes, I subscribe to the all hands meeting attendance policy of "I'll just ask someone who went if there was anything important afterwards"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I go to quite a few, we can discount the time.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Cringe.
I had more professional-sounding managers when I worked in a dive bar.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had employees asking about our upcoming product and its features and if they'd get training on it since nothing was announced. I contacted the team responsible and they got real coy with me so I threatened to escalate until they revealed there would be a surprise mandatory meeting that would cover all of this but not to tell anyone, even the people who were asking, because it was supposed to be a surprise.

So I immediately told my team and department because thats loving stupid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Non-mandatory meetings are great, we're remote so I can sign in and do real work read the forums while people natter on about whatever.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

mllaneza posted:

Non-mandatory meetings are great, we're remote so I can sign in and do real work read the forums while people natter on about whatever.

Best part is they set your status to "In a Conference" and you don't have to jiggle the mouse every five minutes to stop from showing up as Away.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Atopian posted:

Cringe.
I had more professional-sounding managers when I worked in a dive bar.

Oh yeah when I was frisbee refereeing for minimum wage in a league where some teams smoked on the field the guy running the program needed to handle field reservations, scheduling, track win/losses, and communicate with captains. And if a ref no showed he could do the work himself. Somehow pulled it off without hiring a consultant or implementing Kanban.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Selklubber posted:

We had a guy suggest we implement the email signatures saying "This email is for recipient only, delete if blablabla". Apparently he wasn't satisified with just "Regards, me" like normal people do.

I’ve always thought those signatures have big “ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL” energy

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Barudak posted:

I had employees asking about our upcoming product and its features and if they'd get training on it since nothing was announced. I contacted the team responsible and they got real coy with me so I threatened to escalate until they revealed there would be a surprise mandatory meeting that would cover all of this but not to tell anyone, even the people who were asking, because it was supposed to be a surprise.

So I immediately told my team and department because thats loving stupid.

The only surprise I want from work is if they somehow announce we're getting some money or a prize. Everything needs to be normal and official. Surprises are for children not for people who have to manage their lives.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I may have told this story but it came back into my head.

I had a boss once who was considered a rising star in the company. Out of tens of thousands of employees globally, she was selected to be one of 10 to fly out to Cannes, spend a week there, attend the events, and take seminar training courses with CEOs and other rich corpos and basically be tee'd up for more senior leadership.

The seminars in between the fun events for the industry were your usual plattitude bullshits like "envision your passion" "do what you love!" Etc. You know, usual corporate time waster self-fellation. Well after a week of that she must have actually taken that to heart because the first thing she did on returning to the states was put in her two weeks notice because "I realized I don't like my job and don't want to do it for the rest of my life"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have put in so many “this person done hosed up” emails I’m called the Terminator. I don’t know pity, remorse, or fear. If you gently caress up on a forklift, I will find you.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

I may have told this story but it came back into my head.

I had a boss once who was considered a rising star in the company. Out of tens of thousands of employees globally, she was selected to be one of 10 to fly out to Cannes, spend a week there, attend the events, and take seminar training courses with CEOs and other rich corpos and basically be tee'd up for more senior leadership.

The seminars in between the fun events for the industry were your usual plattitude bullshits like "envision your passion" "do what you love!" Etc. You know, usual corporate time waster self-fellation. Well after a week of that she must have actually taken that to heart because the first thing she did on returning to the states was put in her two weeks notice because "I realized I don't like my job and don't want to do it for the rest of my life"

An old CEO once have an "inspiring" speech about how we didn't do this job for the money, after all we were smart people, if we wanted money we'd go and work for a hedge fund

Within three months we lost 50% of our applied maths group. All of them joined hedge funds and cited the vast salaries in their exit interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sure sounds like an inspiring speech to me then! :v: