Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Butterfly got intensely overplayed by tri to the point that I dread hearing it now

Perhaps this is the fate deserved by those who decided to watch all of Tri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

well i don't remember defending mappa's terrible working conditions at all and it's the only show i even watched from them, plus i don't see what it has to do with konaka
I never said you did, and I never said it does, my point is that you can enjoy stuff made by all sorts of people and made under all sorts of conditions. It's a purely arbitrary decision and entirely up to you. You don't need anyone's permission and it's not really a decision anyone can make for you.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

I never said you did, and I never said it does, my point is that you can enjoy stuff made by all sorts of people and made under all sorts of conditions. It's a purely arbitrary decision and entirely up to you. You don't need anyone's permission and it's not really a decision anyone can make for you.

sorry for being defensive

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cancelling myself for enjoying Nestle's Milo.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Aurora posted:

and we'll call it world war 2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

This whole thing kind of highlights something that bugs me a lot where people attribute so much to a single person especially in a medium that's as collaborative as anime. Chiaki J. Konaka isn't responsible for everything you like about the shows you like. There are dozens of people that make your favorite episodes and moments shine.

This was my reaction to Whedon's poo poo from a few years ago now. Soon as it all came out people were wringing their hands about "but I really liked Buffy...."

And I was just like "you can still like Buffy." All those LGBTQ kids who grew up with Willow and Tara loved Willow and Tara, not Joss Whedon. Even beyond the characters and actors/actresses, tons of other people directed and wrote on the show.

One person being bad does not mean you have to toss out the entire work. That's just an insult to everybody else who poured their heart and soul into it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think comparing chiaki j. konaka to joss whedon is a harsher accusation than anything anyone's accused him of so far

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i think comparing chiaki j. konaka to joss whedon is a harsher accusation than anything anyone's accused him of so far

That only makes it all the more apt. If it applies to somebody a lot worse, than of course it also applies to whoever this other guy is. (I don't think I've ever heard of him before the last few pages of this thread)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand im glad whedon sucking was the final thing needed to completely toss buffy and such out of the nerd feminist canon. not to say people cant like them mind

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They cant

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

on the other hand im glad whedon sucking was the final thing needed to completely toss buffy and such out of the nerd feminist canon. not to say people cant like them mind

I don't think that happened or could happen. Whedon being terrible doesn't stop Buffy from having influenced all forms of popular media for two decades.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think buffy did that

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
gently caress i've just noticed that stair's avatar is animated

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buffy is such a white show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never watchd it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

my mom was a big fan and i watched it with her sometimes

my biggest memory of anything buffy adjacent is the best episode of angel

https://youtu.be/XpbagkZuJsw

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Some parts of buffy were very good

"Which parts" the part where angel casually punches Xander in the mouth while walking by

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

spike relocating to wolfram and hart after the last buffy season to take the piss out of everyone was good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

About 70% of the time spike was on screen that was the highlight of either show

The other 30%, well...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ninjewtsu posted:

"Which parts"

Everything before Angel got his soul back the first time, and started killing likeable characters.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Angel was way better than it should be allowed to be

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Has david boreanz been on anything since Bones

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

some show called SEAL Team that is only on paramount+ now

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

To think I was 10 months old when Evangelion first aired.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

should have waited in the chamber of guf a little bit longer

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what is guf

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

girls und fanzer

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Aurora posted:

what is guf

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not much whats guf with you

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Everything before Angel got his soul back the first time, and started killing likeable characters.

I would be more inclined to agree with you if season 1 of buffy wasn't terrible

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aurora posted:

what is guf

guf deez nuts

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

It really is remarkable. Not even Buffy fans like Season 1 yet without Season 1, there would be no Season 2, 3 and 5, the peak of the series. I know little me liked Season 1 so I can only guess a lot of other people were very young with S1 and liked it but as we grew, so did the series and so the later stuff is held in higher esteem.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Lucky me, I never saw it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

not much whats guf with you

kirbysuperstar posted:

guf deez nuts

:mad:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

frotnite ftw

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

frotnite is a very different thing

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still like both Angel and Buffy's OP's, though. Perfect pieces of butt-rocky nostalgia.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

El Burbo posted:

frotnite is a very different thing

what do you mean

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not much what's frotnite with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I bought the BluRay two and-a half years ago, someone convince me to watch My Neighbor Totoro already.