Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Then you can be friendly and haunt Ji-Man Choi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The real kicker of the Napoli trade was not only did Toronto fleece them into taking the Wells contract but they turned around like two days later and sent him right back to the AL West

Actually nah, taking on the Wells contract was still the real kicker

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, the Blue Jays traded Napoli for Frank Francisco, a mediocre relief pitcher that they only had for a season. That's a horrible trade.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Good Dog posted:

The Angels traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells so they could play Jeff Mathis full time. It might be peak Angels. The Angels only got $5m of the $86m owed to Wells over the last 4 years of his deal in salary relief.

Napoli would go on to torch the Angels at all times, hitting .317/.425/.623 with 21HR in 316PAs throughout the rest of his career.

edit: Holy gently caress Jeff Mathis managed to play 3 games this season

Oh wow, the Jays traded for Napoli? That must have really helped them in the upcoming ye...

seiferguy posted:

Man, the Blue Jays traded Napoli for Frank Francisco, a mediocre relief pitcher that they only had for a season. That's a horrible trade.

I think the reason they traded Napoli away was because they had big bad Arencibia behind the plate. Emphasis on the bad part.

Also, Jeff Mathis ended up becoming a Jay in 2012 anyways and had his best hitting season of his career: .218/.249/.393

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Twin Cinema posted:

Oh wow, the Jays traded for Napoli? That must have really helped them in the upcoming ye...

I think the reason they traded Napoli away was because they had big bad Arencibia behind the plate. Emphasis on the bad part.

Also, Jeff Mathis ended up becoming a Jay in 2012 anyways and had his best hitting season of his career: .218/.249/.393

They also wanted the eventual draft pick from Francisco. Looking it up that pick turned into Matt Smoral, who was a potential high pick before breaking his foot pre-draft. At least they had a plan, I guess.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
And wasn’t Mathis eventually part of the Reyes/Dickey trade? Meaning through all this he managed to be the player who provided the most value to the Jays. Jeff Mathis wins again.

E: my mistake, Reyes, Buehrle and Johnson:

November 19, 2012: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays with Henderson Alvarez III, Anthony DeSclafani, Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jake Marisnick and Justin Nicolino to the Miami Marlins for Emilio Bonifacio, John Buck, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes and cash.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Mid/late 2000s Angels were the posterchilds of SAS hate, mainly because the team was anti-sabermetrics (a team that deployed David Eckstein regularly) and Mike Scioscia was a massive rear end in a top hat despite his tragic illness.

Tbf Eckstein put up a respectable 13.1 bWAR for in 4 years with the Angels.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

And wasn’t Mathis eventually part of the Reyes/Dickey trade? Meaning through all this he managed to be the player who provided the most value to the Jays. Jeff Mathis wins again.

The Reyes and Dickey trades were two separate trades. But yes, Mathis was one part of the massive deal.

Mathis, Alvarez, DeSclafini, Escobar, Hechavarria, Marisinick, and Nicolino for Reyes, Buherle, Buck, Bonifacio, Johnson, and cash.

e:b

But, this was probably the most excited I have been for a Jays trade. Followed up by the Dickey one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Travis d'Arnaud was the catcher the Jays sent over for Dickey (as well as Syndergaard)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hey nerd, that’s World Series MVP David Eckstein to you!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 5, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Chief McHeath posted:

The thing about loving angels is angels are ghosts living in heaven and you can't gently caress an angel unless you accept Jesus as your lord and savior then die and become a ghost living in heaven.

Sidebar: Angels are sexless, it’s all the redeemed in heaven who, freed from the constraints of earthly marriage, are loving constantly by interpenetrating* each others’ immaterial bodies

* not my word, it’s used by several Church Fathers in their interminable arguments about just how much loving they would get up to in Heaven

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Gorman Thomas posted:

Tbf Eckstein put up a respectable 13.1 bWAR for in 4 years with the Angels.

Excuse me that's World Series MVP David Eckstein.

bawfuls posted:

Hey nerd, that’s World Series MVP David Eckstein to you!

god dammit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The 34-75 Diamondbacks have DFA’d Josh Reddick.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
J.R. Richard died.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
gently caress

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Some days, I wonder how the 1980 NLCS would've gone had Richard not had that stroke and I cry a little.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 5, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Forget the NLCS, I wonder how his life would have gone differently if the team had taken his complaints leading up to the stroke seriously and had him checked out by a doctor

He probably wouldn't have been found living under an overpass

e: for people unfamiliar, the team accused him of faking it because he wanted more money or because he couldn't handle the pressure

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 5, 2021

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Sad, sad day :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

salmon your avatar held up very well as it turns out

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Gary Sanchez tested positive for Covid

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/gary-sanchez-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has every Yankees player had Covid multiple times at this point? Seems like it.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

lol goddamnit

hope my guy is vaccinated.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

The 34-75 Diamondbacks have DFA’d Josh Reddick.

Somewhere in the distance, a lonely saxophone starts mournfully intoning the first few chords of Careless Whisper

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Popete posted:

Has every Yankees player had Covid multiple times at this point? Seems like it.

Judge
Sanchez
DJ (2020)
Cole
Monty
Chapman (2020)
Gleyber (twice)
Loaisiga
Nestor Cortes

Phil Nevin
Reggie Willits
Matt Blake

Might be more, I can't remember

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Nodoze posted:

Judge
Sanchez
DJ (2020)
Cole
Monty
Chapman (2020)
Gleyber (twice)
Loaisiga
Nestor Cortes

Phil Nevin
Reggie Willits
Matt Blake

Might be more, I can't remember

Higashioka as the guy they were using to cover for Aaron Judge being unvaccinated. Also Wandy Peralta

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

J.R. Richard died.

gently caress the Astros. Richard had been ailing for a while and they said he was a malcontent and faking it. He had the stroke while at the ballpark.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

ihatepants posted:

Higashioka as the guy they were using to cover for Aaron Judge being unvaccinated. Also Wandy Peralta

we sure of this?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

we sure of this?

One of the two of them is, we just don't know which one

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

we sure of this?

No, but Judge was asked directly by journalists if he was vaccinated and he replied with “I’m not gonna get into that.” He then also missed a few innings of a game after already came back from COVID IL because he was supposedly waiting on further COVID test results. Pretty sure the team was protecting their star player from scrutiny.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

ihatepants posted:

No, but Judge was asked directly by journalists if he was vaccinated and he replied with “I’m not gonna get into that.” He then also missed a few innings of a game after already came back from COVID IL because he was supposedly waiting on further COVID test results. Pretty sure the team was protecting their star player from scrutiny.

ah yeah, I never made the connection with the second thing. bummer, hope we're wrong

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Well gently caress.

https://twitter.com/athletics/status/1423409453882216449?s=21

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankees also largely got the J&J vaccine early, so its possible that's a factor into why they keep suffering these outbreaks of mostly breakthrough cases.

Although Aaron Boone also likes pointing out they keep happening after Florida/Texas road trips. I mean everyone has to make those trips so its still a Yankee thing, but it makes me feel better to say it.
https://twitter.com/YankeesWFAN/status/1423378707851485185

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 6, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Edward Mass posted:

J.R. Richard died.

That poor bastard could never catch a break.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

gently caress the Astros. Richard had been ailing for a while and they said he was a malcontent and faking it. He had the stroke while at the ballpark.

It's something to seriously be angry about. Not just the way he was treated before the stroke but also the way the team completely abandoned him afterwards. Thankfully they finally brought him back in the fold and helped him but he went through some truly difficult times thanks to how he was treated and I don't think there's a good faith way to argue it didn't have to do with race

The sad thing is I'd bet the majority of fans would have agreed with the team's handling at the time, and I don't mean just Astros fans

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This kinda fell by the wayside, but frankly I consider the Red Sox to be winners at the trading deadline purely because they ACTUALLY managed to unload Michael Chavis for something other than a bag of balls, which is pretty goddamn amazing. That they got a live human baseball player who might actually be competitive is... shocking.

I won't miss the self-righteous virtue-signalling holier-than-thou prick one bit. loving guy would cross himself after every pitch, in addition to wearing his AMERICAN FLAG USA shoulder pad so everyone could see how patriotic he is :rolleyes: I know it's petty to dislike someone for this, but he was also a lovely and useless hitter who struck out 32 times and walked once while putting up a .549 OPS. Beyond useless.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

yankees about to blow it

*phew okay nevermind*

TwoHeadedDeer fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 6, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Just a reminder for everyone... Next Thursday, exactly one week from tonight, the Yankees and White Sox will play their long-awaited Field of Dreams game at an Iowa cornfield.

I put this reminder here because, as a movie buff whose all-time favorite baseball film is probably Field of Dreams (I know it's sappy and silly but the ending still makes me weep every time) I'm actually pretty excited out this, and would feel lovely if I missed it.

Another incredibly cool thing about this game is that both teams are going to be wearing awesome early 20th century uniforms from their respective teams that look like this:

Goddamn those are slick, though I could do without the Nike swoosh. I love those early White Sox uniforms especially - I always think of them as "Black Sox" jerseys, though admittedly that's appropriate I guess.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Batting gloves are banned in that game correct?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Batting gloves are banned in that game correct?

Is this a segue into talking about pissing on their own hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

So this just happened in St. Louis

https://twitter.com/BravesOnBally/status/1423483974882668544

And that's leaving out the part where the Cardinals had a 4-2 lead with 2 outs before surrendering a 2-run laser by Austin Riley.