Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

After a 12 year wait, baseball is BACK at the Olympics. A lot has happened to international baseball since 2008, with the growing prominence of the World Baseball Classic as a showcase for stars. This time, no Major League players will play in the Olympics. This means that the Olympics is missing the most exciting player in the world, Japan's Shohei Ohtani who pitches and leads the Majors in home runs and is basically doing poo poo we haven't seen since Babe Ruth. More importantly, this means that Olympic baseball is filled with younger guys I've never heard of and washed up guys on their way out of pro baseball who have come together for One Last Job. I will admit I don't know much about anyone in the Games who has not played in the Majors, but let's run down some key guys you may have completely forgotten about as they vie for Olympic Gold.

Baseball already started, with Japan edging the Dominican Republic 4-3.

TEAMS:
There are 6 teams competing in 2 groups with a round-robin group stage and a double-elimination stage after that. The teams are:

Japan
USA
Israel
Mexico
South Korea
Dominican Republic

GUYS:

USA
Todd Frazier (First Base): The grizzled infielder who is from New Jersey enough to use Frank Sinatra as his walkup music washed out of the benighted Pirates organization this season. Memorably involved in a feud with ex-White Sox teammate Adam Eaton over Adam LaRoche's desire to have his son follow the team around that ended when LaRoche retired and Eaton cited the 14-year-old Drake's leadership of the team. Adam LaRoche left baseball to pursue his passion: participating in those creepy Christian organizations that tries to do sting operations on overseas sex rings.

Edwin Jackson (pitcher): I did a huge fist pump when I saw E-Jax back playing baseball. Edwin Jackson has played almost as many baseball teams as those that exist and for a solid decade unsuspecting baseball fans would wake up and see a man that they could have sworn retired several years ago inexplicably appear in their starting rotation. Pitched one of the worst no-hitters of all time. Edwin Jackson rules.

Scott Kazmir (pitcher): Once a highly-touted Mets prospect, this lefty with a huge curveball went to Tampa Bay and led the American League in strikeouts in 2007. Then, he hurt his elbow and within a few years was out of Major League baseball before mounting a comeback with the indie-league Sugar Land Skeeters before coming back and sticking as a journeyman. This year was his last comeback, a stint with the Giants after playing in the Mexican League. What a story!

Mike Scoscia (Manager): His tragic illness made us smile.

Other notable Guys: Bubba Starling, Dave Robertson, Tim Federowicz

Dominican Republic

Jose Bautista (Infield): Joey Bats emerged as a late-career dinger-mashing phenom for the Pirates and beloved Blue Jays Icon, but let's face it everyone remembers him as the man who got photogenically punched in the face.

Melky Cabrera (Outfield): The Melkman was a productive outfielder and fan favorite in San Francisco and the South Side of Chicago.

Jumbo Diaz:

Other Guys: Utility man Emilio Bonifacio

Japan:

Masahiro Tanaka (Pitcher): Pitched for the Yankees for several years.

Mexico:

Adrian Gonzalez {Infield): A mainstay for the Dodgers after a semi-disastrous spell in Boston, this graying power hitter will try to mash some dingers at 39.

Other Guys: Oliver Perez, Danny Espinoza, Manny Banuelos.

Israel:

Ian Kinsler (Infielder): Like most of Team Israel, Kinsler is a Jewish American player. Most famous as an all-star with the Rangers in the mid-2000s, I had no idea he played until 2019. Won the 2017 World Baseball Classic as part ofTeam USA.

Other guys: Ryan Lavarnway, a person I have never heard of who is named "Jon Moscot"

South Korea

Sorry I don't recognize anyone on this team as a Washed Major Leaguer.

I don't know a lot about these teams, but I like Japan and South Korea as the two teams sending good players from their leagues instead of grizzled 40-year-olds. Japan and South Korea have traditionally been powerhouses in international ball, but in a weird, short tournament like this anything can happen. Anyway, I hope that you watch Olympic baseball as a casual baseball fan and see a guy you remember from a playoff game 12 years ago.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The DR vs Japan game last night was fantastic, lots of late drama.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

also if you do not know anything about baseball and happen to stumble upon it, feel free to ask questions in this thread, if you are not familiar with baseball the rules are silly and ridiculous and there are no dumb questions such as why are these people constantly spitting and manhandling their crotches on television.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

How come no major league players? The pro rule applies here but not in basketball?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I loving love Ian Kinsler. He's a 50ish WAR guy who never lead the league in anything besides PA and AB. And he only did that once. There is something so wonderful about that kind of steady, quiet greatness.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How come no major league players? The pro rule applies here but not in basketball?

The reason you could probably think of... (It's the MLB with the rule not allowing them to play)

:10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

It seems because of the MLB has chosen to not pause their games for the olympics and actively not wanting / allowing it's players to participate.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/usa-olympic-baseball-roster-mlb-players/1qiktirrtqndx14c7qnblha098

quote:

In 2020, MLB, MLBPA and the International Baseball Federation struck a rule allowing players in MLB organizations not on the 40-man roster to be eligible for the games. That means prospects can play, just not the ones on the 40-man roster.

:10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 29, 2021

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Julio Rodriguez, the Mariners #1/#2 prospect (depending on what list you're looking at) is playing for the DR. There's some top players in that aspect I guess!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wow if the pitcher for Korea named T I Won doesn't win it's going to be some false advertising.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

I love the way they bring the new pitcher with a tiny baseball car

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AngelesXO posted:

I love the way they bring the new pitcher with a tiny baseball car

It should be remote controlled like the rugby ball car. And half the time it should drive off without dropping the pitcher.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Israel-South Korea surprisingly went to extras nearly a huge upset.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I haven't watched baseball in years. But I did the little base slide cam they got going on in the Olympics.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I watched a good chunk of USA-Israel just now and I have no idea who most of the guys are but Frazier looks delightfully washed, the US pitcher (a minor leaguer who was traded last week in the Nelson Cruz deal) has really good dirtbag facial hair and the cameras caught him blasting a snot rocket, and the speed skater guy is apparently very good at baseball. Having only one commentator sucks, they should send Ron Coomer to Tokyo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

so I'm watching the USA/Israel game and I feel like y'all are remiss in not mentioning Eddy Alvarez, the US player who already won a silver medal in speed skating??? in Sochi in 2014??? and plays for the Marlins

I am now significantly more invested in the USA getting a medal so Eddy can have a winter and a summer olympic medal

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing like summer for a baseballer meat up with a softballer. The woman cheated!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

so I'm watching the USA/Israel game and I feel like y'all are remiss in not mentioning Eddy Alvarez, the US player who already won a silver medal in speed skating??? in Sochi in 2014??? and plays for the Marlins

I am now significantly more invested in the USA getting a medal so Eddy can have a winter and a summer olympic medal

eddy had a great game today too

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

No strike zone overlay, huh? I guess they don't want to make the umps look bad?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Israel vs Mexico is currently 6-5 in the bottom of the 6 with Mexico having 2 runners in scoring position. Good game going!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

korea just got 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Israel & Korea playing in a full on down pour...

Well it stopped raining, then Korea said gently caress you Israel :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 2, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Korea up 10-1 in the top of the 6th. Possible mercy rule if Korea can increase it to 11-1 by the bottom of the 7th :lol:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

No strike zone overlay, huh? I guess they don't want to make the umps look bad?

I've been watching Canada's feed and they only have one announcer. It's very off-putting.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I didn't realize Baseball was not a mainstay and only appears every few olympics. They were saying during one of the games that it won't be back for Paris 2024.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

net work error posted:

I didn't realize Baseball was not a mainstay and only appears every few olympics. They were saying during one of the games that it won't be back for Paris 2024.

Doesn't look like France really has much in terms of stadiums designed for Baseball. And it's probably not important enough of an event so the IOC is letting Breakdancing take it's place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
remembering edwin jackson so hard rn

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

French cowards are afraid to lose at le baisse balle

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
praying 4 foul tip ump nut shot after foul tip ump nut shot... 18 times in one game is the signal that the hostages will all be released

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

remembering edwin jackson so hard rn

https://www.mlb.com/news/featured/edwin-jackson-2010-no-hitter-revisited

Definitely not the best no-hitter but possibly the most no-hitter.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Korea up 10-1 in the top of the 6th. Possible mercy rule if Korea can increase it to 11-1 by the bottom of the 7th :lol:

Just watched the highlights of this lmao

USA lost to Japan in extra innings, also lmao. The Japanese starting pitcher was openly weeping into his hands from shame when he got taken out

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anthony Gose, known for being a hitter back when he played with Cleveland, is pitching relief for team USA. Reverse Rick Ankiel.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Japan & Korea are currently 2-2 going into the bottom of the 7th. Winner goes to the gold medal match, loser plays USA, where they will decide who goes to the gold medal match or bronze.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Japan & Korea are currently 2-2 going into the bottom of the 7th. Winner goes to the gold medal match, loser plays USA, where they will decide who goes to the gold medal match or bronze.

Not sure how Japan got away with it after the failed double play.
He clearly curled inward and thus was eligible to be tagged out, unless I missed something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LowOnCyan posted:

Not sure how Japan got away with it after the failed double play.
He clearly curled inward and thus was eligible to be tagged out, unless I missed something.

It seemed pretty weird and maybe the umpires didn't really have a good view of the events, but they said in the broadcast it looked like he went right / over the foul line first and maybe wasn't clear that he was rounding 1st. I could see an argument he ended up where he was because of the discussion at the plate between I think the pitcher and the 1st base umpire.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The OBS occasionally made some weird decisions, like having only one guy call Mexico-Israel, and the IOC needs to be told the repechage is the dumbest double-elim system ever invented, but I'm really enjoying this little tournament

also I love the loving pitching throne cart

EDIT: US/DR - we just almost balked joey bats home from third holy gently caress

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 5, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly they just need to let 8 teams in if they let Baseball back into the Olympics and just run the College World Series double elimination tournament.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I didn't understand this tournament, but I'm impressed the USA is in the gold medal game, I thought they would be bad. Olympic medalist Edwin Jackson.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's kind of funny, the USA who lost to Japan a couple rounds ago, can now beat Japan and win the gold medal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I will never get tired of the cart

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I mean, Mario is in the cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

hexwren posted:

I will never get tired of the cart

They should have went with RC cars like the Rugby 7s games. And just dumped the pitched out somewhat close to the mound every time.