Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

What is this game?

A spinoff in Type Moon's Fate series, Fate/EXTRA is a dungeon crawler RPG released on the PSP that released on July 2010 in Japan, and November 2011 everywhere else. Extra is the first video game in the Fate series with an entirely separate plot as the previous two, Unlimited Codes and Tiger Colosseum, both used the same setting and characters as Fate/Stay Night.

Fate/Extra got middling reviews (mostly due to a rather dull combat system), but was successful enough to earn multiple sequels, and even has a full remake in the works!

The Story

Look, Extra's gameplay is subpar at best, all it has going for it is story. I'm not even doing a quick blurb about it, so you don't walk in already knowing things.

Do I need to know anything about Fate to understand this?

Nope! A number of things call back to Stay Night, but all of that is more of a small bonus for fans. The core concepts of the story will get explained properly.

LP Style

Hybrid LP, majority screenshots with the occasional gif to spice things up.

Important moments will get videos, but those will be few and far between.

This LP is using the Perfect Patch made by Iwakura Productions, which adds in subtitles for combat chatter, as well as tweak a few terms to better match later entries in the series.

Spoilers?

:siren::siren::siren:DO NOT.:siren::siren::siren:

I don't care that Fate/Grand Order has been out in the west for four years and drat near everything and everyone here has made an appearance there with all secrecy cast aside. A major thing of the series is trying to figure out the True Name of whoever the hero is fighting, and I don't want anyone casually dropping names.

You can talk about anything else in the Fate series, provided it doesn't spoil anything in Extra.

What if I want to support you?

I have a ko-fi link set up over here. Never feel obligated to toss me some money, but it certainly helps!

Updates:

0.segment/L.the.L
Update I - Everyday(I)
Update II - Everyday (II)
Update III - Unnatural mark
Update IV - Worsening bruise
Update V - One more time
Update VI - Night of fate

1.awakening/binary heaven
Update VII - Educational guidance
Update VIII - Missing Ariadne
Update IX - Battle start
Update X - The king's memories
Update XI - Training (Magic Circuit)
Update XII - Boundary field search
Update XIII - Shin-chan and the sea
Update XIV - Blood Temple - VS Rider
Update XIV.I - Rafflesia umbrella

2.arousal/border alliance
Update XV - Remains of Tragedy
Update XVI - Poisonous snake, jack of all trades
Update XVII - Wish
Update XVIII - Means of escape
Update XIX - Star in the fog
Update XX - Fighting back
Update XXI - End of a hero - VS Archer
Update XXI.I - Fall down, your mind

3.disillusionment/suspended animation
Update XXII - Light-hearted promise
Update XXIII - Sugar candy teatime
Update XXIV - The Strongest Enemy
Update XXV - Developing means
Update XXVI - Sea of memories
Update XXVII - For your forgetful self
Update XXVIII - Suspicious pair
Update XXIX - On the verge of a dream
Update XXX - Walpurgis night - VS Caster
Update XXX.I - Witch's mark
Update XXXI - Choice
Update XXXII - What is burned in

4.immortality/howl of the blue moon
Update XXXIII - The fourth Master
Update XXXIV - The blond girl and how it began
Update XXXV - A strange senpai
Update XXXVI - Cooperation Established
Update XXXVII - When death comes to us
Update XXXVIII - What it means to be a vampire
Update XXXIX - The blond girl and how it ended - VS Berserker
Update XXXIX.I - People die when they are killed

4.MONSTROSITY/telesthetic longing
Update XL - Differing person
Update XLI - Old man
Update XLII - Hurry go round
Update XLIII - Death Circus - VS Lancer
Update XLIII.I - Reaction, not quite good

5.un born/dead end
Update XLIV - Invisible Servant
Update XLV - Hard fighting
Update XLVI - Peeping incident: Caught red-handed
Update XLVII - Shining star
Update XLVIII - Small resistance
Update XLIX - Creeping shadow of the demon
Update L - Release of the seal
Update LI - Elegant moonlight - VS Assassin
Update LI.I - Assassin's attack
Update LII - Anachro-analog Rin
Update LIII - Rin and high tech

6.maturity/final flowering
Update LIV - Invader
Update LV - Is my Master aptitude low?
Update LVI - The battle of today's menu
Update LVII - Averting one's gaze
Update LVIII - Rejection of Battle
Update LIX - Panic sonic roller coaster - VS Lancer
Update LIX.I - Rin's treatment
Update LX - I am breaking from my usual naming scheme to restate my utter loathing of Week 6 in the 2011 PSP RPG: Fate/Extra
Update LXI - Nutcracker doll - VS Berserker
Update LXI.I - Is silence best?

7.Genesis/a new hope
Update LXII - Last boy meets girl
Update LXIII - 100 views of corpses
Update LXIV - That which cannot be surrendered
Update LXV - You're my only star
Update LXVI - Afternoon light
Update LXVII - Full armor double Saber
Update LXVIII - Misery
Update LXVIII.V - Rin strikes back!
Update LXIX - Sparks liner high - VS Saber
Update LXIX.I - That which cannot be changed

.birthday
Update LXX - Price of survival
Update LXXI - All evils of the world
Update LXXI.I - One conclusion
Update LXXII - All the good in this life
Bonus: NG+ Voting

Bonus Update: Fate/the Fact
Bonus Update 2: Cut Content

Playthrough 2: Saber
Update LXXIII - Rebirth
Update LXXIV - Insect from hell
Update LXXV - Saber's circumstances
Update LXXVI - Assault
Update LXXVII - Saber-san angry
Update LXXVIII - Shooting
Update LXXIX - Power game
Update LXXX - Familiar kid
Update LXXXI - Killing and a fancy bear
Update LXXXII - Suspicious girl
Update LXXXIII - I can't decline - The blond girl
Update LXXXIV - Melty Blood
Update LXXXV - Last stand Saber
Update LXXXVI - The serious stuff
Update LXXXVII - Saber lately
Update LXXXVIII - Funny clothes
Update LXXXIX - Saber acting strange
Update XC - Question for Saber
Update XCI - So, it's strong
Update XCII - Overlooking View

Playthrough 3: Archer
Update XCIII - No concern for safety
Update XCIV - Absence of Saber
Update XCV - Gold rush?
Update XCVI - Great problem at the archery club
Update XCVII - One day at the archery club
Update XCVIII - Illya strikes back!
Update XCIX - Sword and magic
Update C - About the projection magic
Update CI - Murder at the empty mansion
Update CII - Bare-knuckle Rin
Update CIII - And thus I pray, Unlimited Blade Works
Update CIV - Twelve Labors
Update CV - Justice and the kitten
Update CVI - Morning in the Emiya Household
Update CVII - A distant back
Update CVIII - At the end of a miracle

Information Matrix
Player Information Matrix - Caster (Final)
Player Information Matrix - Saber (Final)
Player Information Matrix - Archer (Final)
Week 1 Information Matrix - Rider
Week 2 Information Matrix - Archer
Week 3 Information Matrix - Caster
Week 4 (Rani Route) Information Matrix - Berserker
Week 4 (Rin Route) Information Matrix - Lancer
Week 5 Information Matrix - Assassin
Week 6 (Rani Route) Information Matrix - Lancer
Week 6 (Rin Route) Information Matrix - Berserker
Week 7 Information Matrix - Saber

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Reserved.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update I - Everyday(I)

Marvelous Entertainment (now Marvelous AQL) is a development company studio that's fairly well established. They made the GBA Harvest Moon games (now known as Story of Seasons), as well as Half Minute Heroes, Soul Sacrifice, and the Extella games.

Type Moon are the guys who created the Fate series to begin with.

Imageepoch made the first three 7th Dragon games, and went backrupt in 2015, 5 years after Extra and 2 years after Fate/Extra CCC.

Aksys is a localization company, and have done most of Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Under Night In-Birth.

Music: None

The intro screen.

From what I can tell, that incredibly small text under Press Start reads as:

"Exploitation for living.
Decision for prosperity.
Do though the act is barbarous?
The denied thing cannot be done again."

There are two difficulty modes.

Also, I ended up modding the text, as the original font played merry hell with C2T. This and the Perfect Patch are the only changes made to the game.

I'll be honest, Fate/Extra is a bad game, so I'm going with Easy to make it easier on me.

Granted, difficulties don't actually impact the enemies themselves, but that's a topic for another day.

They aren't kidding, the Fate series started as a visual novel, and they will happily let you make a bad call and die on the spot.

Sound: School bell chiming

Blue text usually refers to people.

Music: Comical Life

Hmm? Why do you look so surprised? We announced at last week's assembly that this month the student council would strictly enforce school rules. I have been tasked with performing inspections to ensure students are in compliance with school rules. Now, it goes without saying that EVERYONE is subject to inspections, even old friends. Now then, uniform inspection time. ...Collar, check! Pant hems, check! And your socks...check! Next is the contents of your bag... Notebooks, textbooks, pencil box! Not even a whiff of contraband. Your nails are evenly cut, and your haircut is sensible. Indeed, quite remarkable.

Issei Ryuudou here debuted in Fate/Stay Night. There, he was a close friend of Emiya Shirou, the protagonist.

Here, he's nowhere near as important.

As an aside, I just want to mention that I'm fairly sure this first cutscene has more dialogue than entire updates in my last LP.

Someone like you ought to consider a future in student government. You'd be perfect for it. Oh, but I'd never try to coerce you into joining the student council. We aren't like that.

Red text refers to important places or items.

Things are always so gently bustling in the morning. Another peaceful beginning to another peaceful day.

There's a whole lot of internal narration, so our self-insert protagonist gets his own icon.

Music: School II

Gameplay! Except not really. All we can do here is run around and talk to people. Fate/Extra is much like Persona 4, where it loves to make you wait a few hours for some actual dungeon crawling.

A quick tutorial on the menu pops up.

A better look at the menu. Everything here is self-explanatory, although the Retry button is locked out.

The options menu. While it does have an option for camera control, you only have free camera controls when in dungeons, making it useless for now.

...I just wanted to try saying that once, just to see how corny it would sound. If you continue right, you'll find the Archery Range, but you should head for the school building now. Your classroom is on the second floor, right? If you don't get to your classroom soon, you'll incite Tiger's wrath.

We first have to talk to everyone before heading to class, naturally.

To the right of that student is an archery range.

I'd better hightail it back to the classroom. Room 2-A is on the main building's second floor.

What is this Archery Range you speak of? Oh, that building over there to the right. What about it?

Well, somebody left their stuff there, but whatever.

It's a vending machine. My favorite juice is sold out.

Some objects, like this vending machine, can be examined.

Man, I must have a hole in my head. Maybe if I head back to my classroom.

That's everyone outside, so now to check inside.

There is, naturally, more people.

You can also tell that the emulator isn't a big fan of shadows. It isn't a big issue in the long run, but keep in mind that this is on my end, not the game itself.

The board next to him has a note from our teacher.

They even did separate lines for the washrooms!

'Move' instead of 'Search' means that this leads to an actual area.

This is the nurse's office. I can feel the people inside, but I'm not quite sure how. Anyway, the door won't budge.

But we'll have to check that out another time.

Same with the garden.

Downstairs is the cafeteria.

The cafeteria is just up ahead. It looks like they're still getting ready.

Which is also locked.

Down the other hall are three classrooms. Each has their own description.

This is room 1-A. Even though no one is around, the silence is so absolute that it's somewhat unnerving.

~

This is room 1-B. This classroom feels totally lifeless. The lack of students just makes that feeling worse...

I will admit that I have to get the hang of a more text heavy game. Multiple conversations in the same image will be split up like this.

So long as I remember, at least.

~

This is room 1-C. All of the first year classrooms seem totally devoid of life. I wonder what's going on.

Where have all the first years gone?

At the very end of this hall is this fire alarm.

It looks like a fire alarm. ...Just the sight of it makes me want to set it off.

Up to the 2nd floor.

We better head to the classroom. Our classroom? 2-A ring a bell?

The washrooms have the same lines as the floor below, but the nearest door and the board further down both have something to say.

This is the Library. There are weird mechanical noises coming from inside... I'd check it out, but the door's locked.

~

[From the Librarian: About Exams The library will be closed for the duration of exams. During the closure... The shelves will be re-organized and the much-requested PCs added. Stop by after your exams!]

2-A is our class, but the other two both have examine text.

This is class 2—B. There's a lot of athletes here, so it's a little overwhelming. It's noisy, as usual. I'd rather not be noticed, so I better high tail it out of here.

~

This is class 2-C. Student Council President Issei is in class C, but he's not here now. He must be busy. I don't know anyone else here. I should probably leave.

As well as these lockers at the end of the hall.

This is the shared locker for the classroom's use. It has stationary and supplies... buried under a treasure trove of Ms. Fujimura's junk!

My plan to play hooky has been foiled by a plot lock.

Time to go learn.

Ah gently caress, Shinji is here.

Even though we've— Hey, we've been friends since our freshman year, right? Anyway, don't sweat the fact that you're as boring as dirt. It's not like you can help it. I mean, anyone would seem boring and stupid when compared to me!

Shinji Matou is a Grade A, entirely unmitigated, douchebag. Even in a spin-off, he'll always be a jerk.

In Fate/Stay Night, Shinji was also a friend of Shirou, although 'friend' might be pushing it. He dies in two routes, and in the one where he survives he gets turned into the core of the physical manifestation of all mankind's sins.

It's a little early for so much abuse, but as it's Shinji Matou, it can't be helped. His arrogance is almost palatable. I don't know what he's saying, but it makes all the girls squeal with joy. Actually let me rephrase... His popularity isn't so much mysterious as it is...unnatural.

I was just doing a little math tutoring. This stuff is beyond easy...for me, anyway.

...Wait a sec. Hey Matou, isn't the answer to this question... totally wrong in every way?

Wh-What in the—? I'm the one who solved that! There's no way it could be wrong!

B-But... Look at this. Since when did two plus two equal five?

This line is pretty much Shinji's entire character in a nutshell.

As Shinji raises his voice, the girls all panic and run back to their desks.

It's really pathetic that these worms don't know their place. That's why I like you so much. Even though you're boring, you know not to steal my thunder. You're the ultimate sidekick.

Shinji flashes me a smile. It's weird how I never take offense at the way he talks to me. By some strange twist of fate, Shinji Matou and I are friends. How we became friends was... I can't quite remember how it happened... I want to say we met in spring sometime... The bell for class rings as I try to recollect. And who should fly through the door but our homeroom teacher, Ms. Fujimura.

Fujimura Taiga is our homeroom teacher.

In Fate/Stay Night, Taiga was also the homeroom teacher, as well as Shirou's legal guardian. Her family is part of the Yakuza. No, I am not making that up.

The classroom goes dead silent. Every student's attention is focused on the same thing.

Listen, you! This isn't the time to be making stupid jokes.

You're right. She isn't moving. Did she get knocked out or something?

A few brave students get out of their seats and crowd around the still comatose Fujimura.

Ms. Fujimura...? Um...are you okay?

Ugh... Wha—?

Ms. Fujimura jumps to her feet as if nothing had happened. It's almost as if the memory of her sudden and violent trip to the floor was totally erased. As this happens all the time, no one seems to notice or care enough to say anything. ...No one gives a thought to how odd it is for this to happen every single day.

Tige... I mean Ms. Fujimura is conducting class today the same way she does everyday.

You may not know, but when I was young, an unknown pathogen was the cause of a serious epidemic. In fact, outbreaks were common. But now, most illnesses are cured using nanothingymajigs! And FYI, I'm still young. This will be on the test so be sure you don't forget it. I mean it.

A mysterious illness that led to a worldwide pandemic? No poo poo, tell me more!

...nanomachines???

Her ensuing laughter stops short at her eyes, which seem deadly serious. Just as everyone is about to call Fujimura out- The bell signaling the end of class rings.

Be sure to study hard tonight, and don't forget those important points I told you about.

Being a student sucks. The worst part of the whole deal is having to attend these stupid classes. You're still here? ...That's unusual. You don't have any plans, like a date or something? Ha ha, I'm just messing with you! I know you're too big of a nerd to ever get a date! I mean, you're just going to your dork club— The journalism club, right...? Well, seeing as you're as boring as stale white bread, your life is exactly as it should be. You know exactly what your role in life is, and you stay there. Well, catch you later! See you in class tomorrow!

Shinji walks off. Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out, prick.

The end of the day means a bunch more people to talk to. People with that yellow box over their head will have something important to say.

Dialogue options! I'll be sure to show every response to these.

Weird...stuff?

Bolded text from our protagonist is me picking a dialogue choice.

Recently, a lot of students have been getting hurt. Rumor is that there's a slasher on campus...

I'm in the Journalism Club?

Huh, you're not a member? You're always talking in the hallway with the Editor in Chief.

Mister Important here is just reminding us of our next stop.

Our desk.

What?! I'd kill to be able to wear the black uniform of the student council like you!

Might as well hold off on going to that club meeting for a bit.

I really wish I was dating Shinji's sister. She's that cute girl in the Nurse's Office. And we'd get married and she'd feed me and I'd wake up to her every day... Squee! But the thought of Shinji being my brother-in-law is... Ugh. If only they weren't related...

The school newspaper has been so busy these days. There's a lot of weird rumors to check out.

That is rather weird, actually. Who would shut down the school library right when everyone needs to study?

The club is right there, but 3F is open now that class is over.

Which means more people to talk to and places to look at!

This is classroom 3-A. I don't know much about the upperclassmen.

~

This is class 3-B. None of the upperclassmen seem to adore curry.

This is probably a nod to Ciel in Tsukihime, who also loved curry.

~

This is class 3-C. They gape at me like underclassmen are some sort of exotic creatures.

~

Hey, have you noticed how that girl in the Nurse's Office wears long sleeves even in the summer?

Yeah, she's always wearing that long jacket. Could it be because her older brother bullies her?

Shinji...

The other hallway has one student, plus the second last door and the board next to it.

Rain or shine, the student council president is at the main gate. Gotta tip your hat to that. ...Yeah, or pull the stick out of his butt so he can walk away. He's not a bad guy overall, though.

~

This is the Multimedia Room.

~

[Movie Club: Movie Screening Schedule This week's movie: "The Great Pirate Stronghold: Chronicle of the South Seas"] It sounds like an action-adventure movie... I might want to see it...

Our upward climb is foiled yet again.

First, go off and listen to what the Editor in Chief has to say. Take care of whatever it is. She's so hyperactive. You're the only one who can stand to be around her.

Well, we might as well face the inevitable. Saves us a bit of backtracking later.

~

Uh, um... Anyway, listen to what the Editor in Chief has to say.

This is from the girl on the right.

These three have no portraits, but their models show them to be Kaede Makidera (the Editor), Yukika Saegusa (brown hair) , and Kane Himuro (silver hair and glasses).

They had one small appearance in Stay Night's prologue, and had much more screentime in Hollow Ataraxia. All three are friends of Tohsaka Rin, one of the main heroines in Stay Night.

They're also supposed to be in the Track club, not Journalism, so why are they here?

What? Did you forget? You have to write an "Unsolved Mysteries of Tsukumihara" article. C'mon, I told you yesterday. There isn't very much time left before the deadline. Well, whatever. Your work's always good, so I'll leave this in your capable hands! Jeez, my benevolence is like a black panther running around. Yes, that doesn't make sense. So that's that. I've done some of the investigating. It's your job to do the rest. ...Don't look so surprised. There is a method to my madness. Okay, so about the first preview edition, the one called "Gateway to the Paranormal." So listen... There's supposedly an entrance to the spirit world at the rear of the Archery Range. One time, a male student who got bullied a lot was told to pick up trash there...and vanished. Everyone's totally convinced that there's paranormal activity going on back there. Isn't that scary— I mean, ridiculous?! Anyway, go sniff out the truth! Leave no stone unturned! Your nose and eyes are the tools of the trade for a journalist. Got it?

This is actually a fake choice, all three give the same result.

You're the mysterious one.

Your reply should be "Yes, ma'am!" All right. Hop to it!

But I'm sure this scoop can wait a bit longer.

Next time: Teachers, ghosts, and attempted murder.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 12, 2023

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hell yeah, I loved Fate/Extra way back when, but even then playing it was absolutely rear end, let alone now. This is a good way to kill the time until the remake drops.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Does the remake include CCC?

Anyways, Shinji. Shinji never changes. In one route of the original F/SN, he managed to be an rear end in a top hat even beyond the grave.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

Does the remake include CCC?

Anyways, Shinji. Shinji never changes. In one route of the original F/SN, he managed to be an rear end in a top hat even beyond the grave.

Probably not, considering just how big Extra is by itself.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Hell yeah, dude. I've played the VN and I'm currently playing Fate/Grand Order, but I have no knowledge of the Extraverse or whatever they call it, outside of the aggressively mediocre anime of it that's on Netflix.

So far this is some real Persona 3 poo poo.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I remember trying to play this and hitting the massive wall that was the combat system, this will be fun to follow!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've always been interested in this game but the gameplay looked so bad that I never bothered with it. An LP seems like the best way to consume it, so I'm glad you're LPing it.

Pretty Fate start though. Same school, same people, same Shinji (sadly).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

All that was missing is Issei ranting his Rin conspiracy* and Shirou being exploited for his labour.

*Issei had Rin's number mostly pegged.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Very nice, been looking for a way to check this one out!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

EXTRA will always have a place in my heart for being what truly drove me into Fate (the only other thing I did before was skim read the SN LP which gave me real weird ideas of how thw world worked), even if the gameplay does suck balls.

Godspeed trying to cover all its dialogue, it's only gonna get worse.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am so ready for this. I've never really played any of the Fate games be it the VNs or Grand Order, but I've watched basically anything with Fate in the title. Extra Last Encore was honestly super super weird so I'm hoping that this will help me make at least a little sense of it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Add me to the 'I so wanted to like this game, but playing it was an exercise in misery' crowd. The story's great, but the combat is agony.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ah, excellent. I started this game a long time ago, got quite a ways in, and just never managed to finish it. And I think my PSP's battery is dying, and since I'm clueless about emulators and ROMs, this is going to be my only shot at seeing the rest of this game, at least until the remake comes out, assuming it gets localized.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I remember trying to play this and hitting the massive wall that was the combat system, this will be fun to follow!

This is what happened to me. I thought the opening was super interesting, but then as soon as the combat got introduced I ended up dropping it.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
This game! This game was absolute unplayable garbage!

I completed two full playthroughs. A good plot, atmosphere and soundtrack apparently makes up for a lot.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I've tried playing Extra a couple of times, and each time I end up getting about half-ish through the game before I lose interest. It really cannot be overstated just how BAD the combat in this game is.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

There's a cheat device code out there for this game that completely obviates the combat's mechanical gimmick in the most obvious way. I'd like to say this makes it better, but it really doesn't. It just turns the game from frustratingly stupid to frustratingly easy. Honestly, the best way to play this game is reading this LP.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah, this. Especially since I played this after Dinosaur King, which has a similar combat system but actually gives you clues about what the enemy is going to do.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Huh, not even a mention for the gender selection?

But yeah, this game's a fun read, though I still enjoy the combat, mostly because of the music.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 1, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Cyflan posted:

Huh, not even a mention for the gender selection?

But yeah, this game's a fun read, though I still enjoy the combat, mostly because of the music.

That's after the tutorial if I remember correctly.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Draga posted:

That's after the tutorial if I remember correctly.

Oh okay. Completely forgot, then.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
umu

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update II - Everyday (II)

We're counting on you to unravel the mysteries of Tsukumihara. Like the Editor in Chief always says, you can't avert your eyes from life's mysteries.

~

You heard what the Editor in Chief has to say? Hurry up and solve the mystery of the paranormal gate. To tell the truth, that story is really scary.

Last time, we got a job to do from our club leader.

So let's check everywhere but the Archery Range first!

Where did you get that idea? They don't look anything alike.

Huh...? She's not?

Uh... I'm not really sure. I feel for her, though. It's like she's the topic of a million rumors...

Plus she has Shinji as a brother. If I was her, my diary would be longer than War and Peace.

You actually keep a diary?! How...archaic. I never expected something like that from you.

Since when are diaries archaic?

Oh hey, Shinji is over there. Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Oh...it's you, Brother.

I heard that you've been skipping out on the archery club's morning practices lately! Why haven't you been showing up? And where do you get off taking a break without my say so?! You bi...I get it now. You've been going to ”their" house again, haven't you?

...Yes. I have been going there, but I just wanted to help and...

Let me guess... You felt you were obligated to, right? Jeez, why must you be so drat naive? Wait a sec... What was that just now? Anyway, if someone gets hurt, just leave them to suffer. Just do what I tell you to, and things will be a-okay. I mean, it seems like people get some kind of perverse thrill from getting in my way. To force one of my...err...my dear little sister to miss valuable practice time...

That's not how it was at all...! I wasn't forced to do anything. I wanted to help! ...Um...why don't you... Why is it so wrong to help those who need it?

Ha! Isn't it only fools and the weak who manage to get themselves hurt somehow? And why help anybody out? Will that person ever pay you back or help in return? Of course they won't! And if you think otherwise, you're an idiot! I won't be used by anyone. It's better to treat others as cattle. And isn't it time for you to admit to feeling the same way?!

But... But, for me, that option...

Stop right there. I don't care what you have to say. Stop going to that house, Sakura. Got it?!

Shinji Matou: Literally The Worst.

Oh...! I-I mean... H-Hi... Can I help you with anything? If you ever start feeling unwell, please come by the nurse's office.

The garden and the Nurse's Office is still locked, so outside is our only option.

Music: Stops

Eh?

For some unknown reason, I find my eyes drawn to the door of the supply room when... The door is suddenly and violently thrown open.

Without warning, a man appears from out of the shadows. Dressed in black with a dour expression, the person in question is very intimidating. ...But that sense of intimidation is inmediately replaced with extreme discomfort and unease.

Sound: Heartbeats
Music: Fear

He begins to mutter under his breath while at the same time he reaches out with his right hand. The chills running down my spine gain intensity as waves of nausea and vertigo wash over me. I feel like a rabbit watching the wolf draw near. Maybe this isn't just raw terror. I think he's holding something that's making me feel this way?

You're not even trying to fight. My instincts aren't as sharp as they should be. I need to rest.

The note of disgust in his voice is obvious as he slowly lowers his hand. The paralysis that seemed to take hold of me suddenly fades away. The man continues to look down on me with those dead eyes of his.

Sound: Stops

The campus is about to close. If you have nothing else to do, I advise you to go home now.

Sound: School bell ringing
... My name is Mr. Kuzuki. I will be teaching here starting today.

(Soichirou) Kuzuki is another familiar name from Stay Night. In that, he was an assassin that had an existential crisis after performing his hit, and decided to live the rest of his life in the cover identity given to him. He was a major antagonist in the Unlimited Blade Works route.

It seems that in Extra, Kuzuki dropped the 'former' from 'former assassin'. He also got one hell of a makeover.

The man who introduces himself as Mr. Kuzuki turns and heads back into the supply room. With that, the final bell begins to chime, signaling the end of the school day. Everything begins to progress as normal, as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. But I'm still sore and slicked with sweat; an all too real reminder of what happened. Wonderful. We now have a teacher with obvious "murderous intent" teaching at our school.

You know what? Let's just hit the Range and leave.

He's tall, dark, and handsome... mostly dark.

Looks like Taiga is our only lead.

The worst is when they leave their arrows stuck in the target mound. I usually make the kids do it, but there's no club activities leading up to exams, so I'm doing it. Huh? An entrance to the spirit world? That's just a rumor, it's not real! Exams are right around the corner, so don't waste your time on stuff like that. Go home, shoo, shoo!

What appears in the Archery Range isn't an entrance to the spirit world, but Ti—Ms. Fujimura. —Well, I can't say I'm surprised she's behind one of Tsukumihara's mysteries. It's fitting. I'll report this tomorrow, so I can go home now if I want. *A day will pass if you go home.

Stay at school.

I think I'll poke around the campus a little longer. If I want to leave, I should head out through the main gate.

Talking to Taiga here is the only thing left to do. All the club members vanished the moment we talked to Taiga.

Go home.

I'll ask him if something happened.

Hey, you know that ice queen Rin Tohsaka? She thinks she's so much better than everyone else. At first, I thought that she would be the only one who understood how lonely it is at the top. I tried talking to her yesterday, but I got nowhere. Maybe I just intimidate her or something. I might've lost a few points for getting violent, but girls who talk back to me get slapped! I'd never hook up with such a violent, stuck up bitch like that, no matter how hot she is! What a waste. She'd be perfect if she'd just keep her mouth shut. You agree with me, right? RIGHT?

Whenever you think you've hit the bottom with Shinji, he proves that he's actually even worse than you thought.

Looks like there's some tension between Shinji and Rin Tohsaka. Knowing Shinji, he probably hit on her and got shot down.

And why'd she take a shot at me? I thought she was going to spinning-star kick me next.

He continues to whine under his breath. I can only imagine how sleazy Shinji was being with her. Normally, his super-aggressive approach works, but obviously it didn't with Rin Tohsaka. Life's more interesting when it's got little shake-ups like this. As if right on cue, Ms. Fujimura barges into the classroom as the bell sounds.

All right, no one's absent and since there are no announcements, let's just start homeroom.

As soon as she turns to reach for the chalk, she trips and falls as she always does. As she falls, her fingernails drag across the blackboard with a horrifying sound... And thus, another typically mundane day begins anew—

Despite the suffering of the previous generation, battles are still waged thirty years on.

Standing behind the lectern today is the school's newest teacher. . . Kuzuki. Although he's supposed to be teaching math, his lesson seems to have gone off on a tangent.

—Now, instead of armies, attacks in ever greater numbers are being carried out by terrorists. And in an attempt to suppress these terrorists groups...

All right, let us end here today. ...Oh yes, before I forget. There is an announcement from the student counselor- Recently, a rise in the number of slashing incidents has made the surrounding area dangerous. With that in mind, keep any detours to a minimum and head home as quickly as possible.

Get home quickly...? Good advice, but I still have to finish a few assignments for the journalism club. Why I'm so gung-ho about investigating the school's "Seven Wonders" is a mystery even to me, but it seems important for some reason. I have to turn in yesterday's report. I'd better go see the Editor in Chief this evening.

Another day, another scoop for this intrepid newshound.

You're investigating a story right now? Maybe I should join the Journalism club, too.

~

The editor-in-chief was looking for you. She was going on about you being late with an article.

~

Strange happenings on campus? I wonder who comes up with all of those rumors.

Stepping outside triggers a small cutscene.

What? I'm sure you're just talking about Rin Tohsaka from class B.

Rin Tohsaka? Never heard of her. You've really never heard of her? Pretty, athletic, smart, classy... ...or a stuck-up Ms. Perfect who all the guys adore and all the girls despise. It wouldn't be unrealistic to call Rin Tohsaka the most popular girl in the whole school.

...Are you pulling my leg?

Girl, you're so dense you probably wouldn't feel it if I pulled your leg anyway.

Whaa? I'm not dense...much... But...she wasn't wearing our school uniform. She was wearing red. How do you explain that?

I dunno... I hadn't noticed. Huh? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

You would. C'mon, let's hurry to our club.

Y-yeah...

Huh? What is it?

Ms. Fujimura is living with one of the students here!

Ew! You mean like romantically? But that's taboo!

Another reference to Stay Night, where Taiga acted as Shirou's legal guardian, and frequently came to his place to enjoy his delicious cooking check up on him.

...Hold on a second.

Let me take a closer look.

Enhance.

...I see, it was Ms. Fujimura. The Editor in Chief will want to hear about that.

Himuro! You didn't tell me you had a twin!

~

Good work on the investigation. Report to the Editor in Chief.

Interesting. So it was Tiger! Of course there's no entrance to the spirit world! Thanks to you, the article will be great! Are you ready for the next article assignment? The next unsolved mystery is... Yesterday, there was a girl dressed in red on the Rooftop. Rumors about "Little Red Rooftop" are spreading. Go find out what this is all about. A journalist lets the news guide their feet. To the Rooftop!

~

"Little Red Rooftop" is who you're looking for. Good luck, bigshot!

~

You're to investigate the Rooftop next. Good luck. I said this yesterday, too. You can't avert your eyes from life's mysteries.

~

You heard what the Editor in Chief has to say? Hurry up and solve the mystery of "Little Red Rooftop". Actually I...that rumor makes me queasy, too.

It's written in sloppy handwriting. The Editor in Chief must be tired.

Like, everything feels artificial somehow... Huh? Wait, that would mean...that... ...That's it, that's it! Oops, don't mind me. The crazy, sometimes it comes out.

~

He appears to have gone deep into thought, so it would be rude to keep talking to him.

Up next is more procrastination.

~

That's weird. Why won't it open? What, you haven't left yet? Wait, don't tell me... No, never mind. Losers like you shouldn't be on campus right now. Who knows, you might get whacked by that killer. Hey, don't say I didn't warn you. Hahaha!

Killer?

You're in the newspaper club and you don't know? Someone's been attacking students after school. Man, a weak little drone like you'd get dropped in one hit. You'd better leave now!

What are you up to?

Sh-Shut it, you! It won't mean anything to a nerd like you, but I? Wait...why am I explaining anything to you? Just get the hell out of here already!

~

What? Just go home already.

Don't girls get cold when they wear flowy skirts?

~

Hehe, soon the time will come for you to pick a side in the nerd war.

(on the left): Comic books are so much better than manga. That guy over there, though, likes big eyes and small mouths.

~

(top middle): Hehehe... I love this manga! It's my favorite! Don't tell Tiger or she'll confiscate it.

~

(by Taiga): Do you think a fly on the wall or the fly on men's pants has the better view? Why's it even called a fly in the first place?

I'll admit, this is the exact kind of train of thought I would get on back in highschool.

~

Me?! Living with a student?! Aaagh, no! I'm his guardian! Just his guardian! The child of my one of my parents' friends had been living alone, so I've been helping out. Which means that I go over to his house, but not that I live with him! I don't! Not at all! ...Hey! What's with that face?! You don't believe your own teacher?! You're a good kid. You don't even know what those bad kids mean by "living together," right? RIGHT? And now, your teacher needs to give those kids who are spreading rumors a little educational guidance...

The girl on the Rooftop? Ah, her... She just happens to be up there right now. I saw her holding the key to the Rooftop a moment ago.

Why is Issei so calm about this? Students shouldn't be on the roof, and he's always a stickler for rules.

It happened on their way home. I live near there, and now I'm scared to go home!

Music: Duel of Fate

The vibrant colors set off by the setting of the sun is enough to take one's breath away. Under the now blood red sky, a single girl looks out onto the town that spreads out below. Like a figure out of a painting, the girl seems to shine with the same red glow as the setting sun.

Her name is unlisted, but this could only be Rin Tohsaka. A main heroine in Stay Night, she hails from the magus family in charge of Fuyuki, and is also one of the handful of magi that aren't utter assholes.

I can only imagine how captivating this sight must be for the people who live here. It is indeed a very beautiful scene. A shame that it doesn't really exist. On the surface it seems like such a benign, peaceful world. A pity that it'll soon come to an end. This place is merely an idealized imitation of the real world. And one done in poor taste— I wonder if there's any value to a memory that can only be observed and then left behind.

I'm not quite sure if that last statement was supposed to express disgust or disappointment. As she finishes speaking, a faint smile forms on the girl's lips as she slowly turns in my direction. Her unwavering gaze makes it seem like she can see things hidden to others. Her eyes seem to shine with an intensity that rivals that of the fiery red of the evening sky.

Huh, that's not it? That means you must be one of the generic N— I mean, students... If one of the irrelevant NPCs can get up here, I guess I'll have to find another place to hang out.

Unexpectedly, her finger reaches out and touches my cheek.

Static starts to cover the screen.

Is this a warning from the system? Direct interference does break the rules, after all...

And in a heavier burst of static, Rin vanishes.

Mumbling to herself, the girl disappears without a trace. It's like no one was ever there at all. -She vanished? There or not, her form has been indelibly burned into my mind.

What's wrong? You look a little pale.

The sound of Issei's voice pulls me back to reality. I must look completely dazed and confused. Maybe I'm tired, or- ...I'll talk with the Editor in Chief again tomorrow. In any case , I think the course of wisdom for now would be to go home like Issei says... *A day will pass if you leave campus.

Leave.

Might as well just leave from here.

"I'm telling you, you don't have any talent. Give up before you look like a retard." So you know what he said to that?

What? What? What did he say?!

We're dying to know! Tell us!

This wuss gets all boo-hoo, and he says—

"I'll keep practicing until I get better. I can at least get better than you, who skips practice." Sorry, I have to laugh! Anybody knows that you can't -practice- your way into being a genius! If he wants to practice something, he should practice not sounding like a tool!

The guy's not a total maggot, but he's still trash that needs to find a garbage can. Ahaha, that moron. People aren't created equal. Even people who are born above average can never reach the same heights as the naturally gifted!

Again, there is literally no bottom to the depths of Shinji's douchebaggery.

You must be sooo talented if you don't need to practice, Matou! I feel bad for that kid.

Trash can't help being trash. It should learn to stop dreaming about being something better.

While we wait for the teacher to arrive, I get caught up on what Shinji said for some reason. Whether or not Shinji has innate talent, I think it's pretty clear that I'm a nobody. A nobody, with no goals. I mean, when I try to even think about the future, I get overwhelmed. As long as I keep plodding along, some day I'll reach my totally average future. Yay. That's what happens to everyone, right? Are there actually people who break the pattern? How? I have no idea. For me, today is just another ordinary day—

The static is constantly running for the rest of the scene.

Oh no, the new kid is pretty.

It's him. That blonde boy is the one who's causing my body's fight or flight instincts to prickle.

Go on, Leo. Introduce yourself.

...For what purpose?

Huh? Well, Leo... You'll be attending school with these people, so I'm sure they'd like to know who you are.

...Ah, I see. These good people do not know my name yet.

He steps forward, and then in a louder voice, says—

In time, it will be a name known to all the world, but for now it is the name of your classmate. I'm pleased to meet you all. I hope we enjoy our time together.

The classroom is silent. There aren't even any jabs at his eccentric manner of speaking, or any coos over how pretty he is. Instead, the entire classroom is enthralled by his regal bearing. Entranced, even. Shinji's words come to mind. ...This is what it means to be on a different level. None of us plebes could ever hope to reach the level that this new kid lives on. It's not overextending to call his very existence transfixing. Like deer in headlights, we're immobilized by a presence far brighter than our own. His natural place is above us, looking down as our king. How did someone like him end up here...? It must be a mistake.

Anyway, everyone, please make Leo feel welcome. Then, Leo, if you would please take a seat... It looks like the third seat in the second row from the right is open. Will that be okay?

...Leo...? Ah , you're addressing me. I see no reason to not allow you to call me Leo, as it didn't feel awkward to hear it from you. If you have the chance, I'd very much like for a delightful woman like you to visit my country.

Wh-wha?! J-J-J-Jeez, don't joke with your teacher! To your seat, Leo! I won't smack you since, well, it was kind of flattering of you to say that.

Of course. I appreciate your diplomacy, Ms. Fujimura.

Then, the boy gave the kind of easy smile that only kids can. That simple smile washes away the tension in the room, and people even begin to smile themselves. I think he's not so much a king as a prince. He may be above us, but he also has natural charisma that draws us up to his level. However... It seems that there is at least one person in class whose mileage varies.

Shinji's clearly not happy.

Anyone who can piss off Shinji with their mere presence is good in my book!

There's no need to be shy.

Yes, I understand. I'm pleased that I will be attending such a good school.

—Am I imagining things? Just for a second, I thought he shifted his attention toward ME. Not toward anyone else, not even Shinji, who's still bad-mouthing Leo, but to me alone. ...Yeah right. There's no way a practically otherworldly person like him would notice bland me.

D-did we just get hit with a genre shift?

No, I'm just excited because for once, something happened. Well, besides what happened yesterday. —I should report yesterday's findings to the Editor in Chief.

The new teacher is an assassin, we have a student that is also a ghost, we have a transfer student that's almost certainly royalty, and a simple glance from him got our heart all aflutter.

Guys, I'm not sure how to break it to you...

But I think we're in a BL manga.

Next time: Ghosts, gardens, and names.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 12, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rin's words, the teacher, the constant static, the student pointing out it all feels artificial, and even in the first update, how it was pointed out that there was a constant repetition of events...yeah, they aren't being subtle about this being a virtual world. Rin and Kuzuki seem to be from reality though, and I imagine this Leo is too to awaken that fear in our nameless NPC protagonist.

That or it's love. It did feel very BL for a moment there and it's not like Fate's a stranger to gay characters.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Can...can we date Leo? Is that a route?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Arzaac posted:

Can...can we date Leo? Is that a route?

Any serious answer would run afoul of the spoiler policy, so you're gonna have to make do with a noncommittal shrug for now.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update III - Unnatural mark

Last time, the new transfer student made our kokoro go dokidoki.

It seems like more and more people are staying home. Could that slasher rumor be true...?

~

Hey! The Editor in Chief of the Journalism Club was calling a general meeting. You'd better go.

Leo is at the end of the hallway. Let's see if we can get senpai to notice us.

To summarize, about thirty percent of the participants have overcome the computer's brainwashing. These individuals now remember who they are. They're all class A magi. One girl in particular made guick work of the brainwashing. You might say she's a natural, and therefore more adept than Wizards who have been more sheltered. Unlike those domesticated sheep, she's a wild mouflon. Stronger, rarer, wilder. She couldn't even bear to put on the school uniform the other sheep mindlessly wear. As novel as that girl's wildness is, wild things end up in cages. Still, keep your distance and your guard up.

'Magi' is a known term from Stay Night, the catch-all for people who use magecraft (but not capital-M Magic, those who use Magic are called Magicians), but 'Wizard' is an entirely new term.

The voice coming from in front of the Supply Room is none other than that of a teacher... Kuzuki. He was speaking politely, almost reverently. -However.

This Rin Tohsaka. The Harways in Asia have voiced some concerns regarding her. She is the daughter of a noble family, which makes her unruly behavior even more unbecoming.

The voice that chimes in to join Kuzuki's is none other than the transfer student, Leo's. Unlike in class, his voice held a childlike temerity. It seemed like Kuzuki's words bothered him.

...I simply just... She is a failure, like the other dropouts, and so... She's below your concern—

There's nothing in the world that doesn't concern me, teacher. More importantly, I wonder what a domesticated being like me can learn from her wild bravery.

There is nothing, because you are already perfect. Anything you lack is something the world itself lacks.

It was a joke. It's been a while since I've been scolded. I think I enjoy it, coming from you. In any case, I'll heed your warning about her. So, are there any other important happenings?

It's worth noting the assassin sent by those alchemists. I have yet to confirm anything, but no doubt they're lurking about.

...Ah. I don't believe I've ever seen how an alchemist fights. Their charms, or their symbols, rather, are quite unusual. We have the opportunity now. Aren't you curious, teacher?

Wait until I have checked about this assassin first. Those are the only ones to watch out for. However, there are others with excellent abilities.

Huh. I don't see the rush. I think there's much to be learned from observing this school. I'd like to take my time and enjoy, for instance, the beauty of things like the garden. They seem to employ quite the skilled gardener. You should see the garden, too, Mr. Kuzuki. No— Brother.

Aaaaand the pretty noble boy is the brother of that assassin teacher. Lovely.

I will respectfully decline. ...That ends my report.

I see. Too bad.

Then, if you need anything else...

It'll be best if we have as little contact with each other as we can. It is unusual for a teacher and a student to meet like this.

I understand. Be careful.

Yes. You, too, Brother.

Both of them have completely vanished.

There's been a number of murders in the area recently. Scary...

The girl in red disappeared right before your eyes? Tell the Editor in Chief all the juicy deets.

~

Good work on the investigation. Report to the Editor in Chief.

What? "Little Red Rooftop" vanished before your eyes? If she disappeared, there's isn't anything we can do about that.

I thought she'd say something like "Hey, don't scare me like that!" Actually, the problematic part is how nonchalant she is that a person disappeared.

Your next story will be... "Mystery of the Courtyard Chapel"!

The Editor in Chief keeps talking like nothing happened. She's already on to the next thing. Should I...say something?

It seems the chapel has been here longer than the school. This is just rumor, but they say that it's haunted and magic rites are performed there. I'm sending you to investigate. The entrance to the courtyard is on the end of the right side of the first floor hallway.

Actual supernatural stuff goes on, and she shrugs it off like it was smoke and mirrors. Might as well go check out the Chapel.

Investigate the chapel. Enter the courtyard at the end of the right side of the first floor hallway.

~

The Editor in Chief doesn't seem like herself today. What the heck? I feel queasy...

~

So, you are going to investigate the the chapel in the garden next. It's very pretty out there, with all the flowers.

Mr. Kuzuki! On top of rumors that he's part of a suspicious organization, this is too weird! Could he be the one behind the recent disappearance of so many students? Who can say...?] ...Kuzuki? No, Tiger was at the Archery Range. That's what I reported that to the Editor in Chief, anyway. And if that's the case...what the heck is—

And the Editor is blatantly rewriting our work, what a jerk!

Leonardo Bistario Harway would be the distinguished son of the Harway plutocratic family. He's young, but soon he'll rule the world. So what is that Western European plutocrat doing here?

Excuse me???

3F has a guy with something important to say.

?! You scared the bejeezus outta me! What do you want? Actually, I'm glad you're here. The Editor in Chief asked me to investigate the Seven Wonders, but check this out...

One of Tsukumihara Academy's Seven Wonders is a female ghost who wanders the hallway! The ghost of a foreign girl wanders the third floor. If you respond to her, she'll suck out your soul!

Now that you know the details, go investigate it for me. Huh? You think I should just walk around the third floor and do it on my own? No way... I really can't handle paranormal stuff. If anyone can take on the case of the wandering ghost on the third floor, it's you. Good luck!

This is technically optional, heading to the Chapel will let us end the day like normal.

But we might as well do it anyways. The ghost is even polite enough to mark out their usual haunt!

It feels like there is someone standing right behind me, staring at the back of my head. It has to be my imagination. I hear no footsteps, no sounds of breathing. I am alone here. And yet, the feeling that I am not alone persists. It must be a hallucination of some kind. What should I do? If it's my imagination playing tricks on me, then nothing should be there if I turn around and look. So, what should I do...?

Don't turn around.

I continue walking, refusing to look over my shoulder. Of course, nothing happens. Eventually the presence fades and the sense of being watched disappears. The whole episode was definitely just my imagination.

This just makes the scene end, but that's boring, so...

Turn around.

I turn around and...of course, no one is there—

A young girl was behind us. If you look closely, you can see doll joints on her arms.

Is what I want to say... However, standing there is what appears to be a young girl. The young girl's appearance is definitely at odds with the surrounding campus. With its mass of frills and hooped skirt, her dress is right out of the Victorian era. Combined with her porcelain-like skin, she looks just like a child's doll come to life. ...It's kind of a relief. But the point is, she doesn't seem like she's really alive.

I am like 95% sure the JP text here does that 'single kanji with double meanings' thing.

Suddenly, her figure begins to melt away. As she slowly fades into nothingness, the last things to disappear are her eyes.

School's haunted, case closed.

That's all for this detour, the Editor has nothing to say about this little ghost hunt.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've had a splitting headache ever since. What's up with that?

~

What do you want, second year? Could you possibly be... No, no way. Go home, kid. The area around this school hasn't been safe recently.

The roof has been locked up again, so we're back down to 1F.

I saw her there, too. She won so many stuffed animals it was like she was mustering an army.

You can see Shinji off in the distance.

Oh...it's you again. I don't have time to play like you obviously do. Go play "reporter" or whatever it is friendless little geeks like you do instead of having a life.

~

Go away. Is it interference of some kind? Naw, that's too obvious...

He's nameless for now, but this is Kirei Kotomine, the main antagonist in Stay Night. He's a sociopathic priest who spent a long time trying to figure out why he has no moral compass, only to decide to make the most of it and attempt to bring a major league god of evil into the world. He also likes mapo tofu.

Why he's hanging out at a high school is anyone's guess.

~

Hey, guess what? I saw the priest eating some super spicy food at a Chinese restaurant by my house!

See?

Lately, I've been getting these crushing headaches at school. It's starting to freak me out.

Alright, let's go see what's behind door number one.

Oh Christ. :magical:

I-I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for all of this. Mr. Kuzuki probably just put them down for a nap or someth-

Bodies aren't supposed to do that.

—I suppose I'll test you out.

His thin lips hardly moved. But in the next instant—

Sound: Smack

We get a quick fade to black.

I'm bowled over, as if struck by an invisible force. Chaotic thoughts bury my brain like endless grains of sand. What happened? Can I move my limbs? Seriously, what was that? Kuzuki hasn't moved. No one else is nearby.

Sound: Heartbeat

His voice was a quiet hiss, but I could hear everything he said. This man with cold, inscrutable eyes raises his palm toward me...

I'm uninjured, though my body aches from laying on the hard ground. The cold sweat that had covered me is gone, too... Only the piercing pain in my head remains. Maybe it was just a bad dream. I gulp air and attempt to stand.

...I'll give my report to the Editor in Chief tomorrow and just go home for today... *A day will pass if you leave campus.

Don't leave.

No— I should probably look around the campus a little more... If I want to leave, I should head out through the main gate.

Look, we were told to check out the chapel, and by god I am checking out that chapel.

Christ, even this place is cursed. Is nothing sacred here?

Let's go home, home isn't cursed.

In this case, you substitute this for this, and divide everything by x. It's the same simple equation that you used earlier.

Whoa, you're right! Thank you, Leo!

Unlike someone else, he helps out his classmates without displaying an ounce of condescension. And that someone is directing a nasty scowl toward the new kid.

...Hmph. Whatever. It's no skin off my back. People who are ugly inside are ugly outside, too.

It seems that Shinji's gaggle of female admirers has migrated to Leo's desk. For once, Shinji's irritation is kind of understandable.

I'll give him this—the brat is a real charity worker, laying on the charm for those sows. He's desperate to appear smarter than me, but I'm the real smart one here. I see what he's doing. That dumb little kid doesn't know that I'm onto him—

Reacting to Shinji's voice, Leo glances this way. Leo's expression is inscrutable, but not hostile.

What do you want? You wanna go?

This is the other half of Shinji's character. When someone better than him does move to call him out, he immediately shuts down.

After a few false starts, Shinji finally manages to squeeze that out in a low voice. I don't know if Leo heard, but he gets out of his seat.

The recoil turns into a noticeable flinch, which Leo smiles kindly at in response. Unlike Shinji's, Leo's gestures are filled with dignity.

Shinji Matou, was it? I'll be careful not to upset you in the future.

:master:

His message firmly delivered, Leo returns to his seat. His soft voice bore no note of hostility or resentment. ...I know it's hard to believe, but maybe Leo wasn't upset.

I'm such a nice guy, I'll just accept his apology. Y-Yeah, it's not like he ever pissed me off.

After visually confirming that Leo is otherwise occupied, Shinji feigns calmness and leans back.

Just like our homeroom teacher's daily dramatic entrance. And once again, the day begins.

During class, I thought I saw Leo smirk a little, but other than that nothing exciting occurred. Today is just another boring day in a long string of boring days—

Who here knows what amnesia is? It's a terrifying condition where an individual loses all of their memories! It's caused by brain damage, severe trauma, or even infections of one's mucus membranes. The section of the doctor's biography we just covered touches on this condition... The cure for such a scary condition was discovered by Dr. Pieceman. With that said, using amnesia as an excuse for forgetting your homework isn't going to fly! When I was young, a fair number of my classmates were unscrupulous enough to try this— And before you get any ideas, I'm still young! In fact, I'm putting that fact on the test!

It most commonly afflicts individuals of a more anime persuasion, and is typically cured with a dramatic plot moment.

And as per the norm, Tiger's lecture starts to peter out... Just as a collective "This again?" starts to rise from the students—

Static covers the screen for the rest of the scene. Again.

What is new is the fact that everyone other than Leo, Shinji, and ourselves have gone monochrome.

Without being acknowledged by the teacher, Leo suddenly rises to his feet. The tension in the classroom ratchets up immediately as all eyes focus on Leo. The young boy surveys the room with a mysterious smile, taking in everyone's startled glances.

It is time for me to leave. We will probably never meet again, so I wish you all well.

... What...the...? My head...the pain...

Just your presence is enough to remind me of the beauty of youth. You're a remarkable person.

After what seemed to be a very slight bow, he immediately seems to disappear from the room.

A-All right, then... Let's continue. Please turn to page 86...

And accompanied by the sound of flipping pages, the lesson goes on as if nothing had happened.

Seriously, why did Shinji of all people have to dodge the Magic Pengel color drain?

If you have to use the john, be a little more discreet. And that "I have to leave" crap—!

Seriously, isn't he supposed to be some kind of aristocrat or princeling or something?

Of course, what just happened is impossible. A highly suspicious disappearance in the middle of class and the teacher doesn't seem to care. No one in class says anything and the class continues as if nothing strange has happened. It was the same dull, dreary scene as yesterday, and the day before... This can't be natural...

Even out of that cutscene, the static is still running.

—Strange. This is definitely strange. ...It's as if the world tilted slightly and everything within it is losing its sense of presence. My head...feels like it's going to explode. The pain is making it hard to remember who I am... Wait. Come to think of it—

Music: Fear

What is my name? How old am I? Where do I live? How many people are in my family? What was my life like before I started attending this school? I can't...remember anything. My memory has been completely erased somehow. How, and why, did this happen—?! —That's right. The Editor in Chief of the Journalism Club. As the president of the Journalism Club, she should at least know my name. I know I had to have filled out something when I first joined the club. I'll ask her. Hopefully she'll be in her normal spot.

You know, the whole 'amnesia' thing is kinda important, but I'm more concerned about our splitting headache. I get migraines, and those usually take me the gently caress out if I don't catch it early. We should check in with the nurse, maybe see if we can get some ibuprofen.

Shinji, I swear to god if you're harassing your sister again...

Oh...it's you, Brother.

I heard that you skipped archery practice again! What in the hell is wrong with you?!

I'm sorry, Brother. But I...

You've embarrassed me again! How many times must I repeat myself, Sakura?! Are you stupid? I mean, if you keep listening to others instead of me? Wait... Wait wait wait wait...

Now, if anything, I've been underselling just how bad Shinji is. In Stay Night, he was flat out sexually abusive towards Sakura. But there's a very good reason why I neglected to mention this until now:

This is not Shinji Matou.

D-drat it... Wh-What's this weird feeling?!

Please maintain, a calm demeanor. Brother, please relax. Inserting reassurance text. Error detected. What's up, Shinji? Whatever is the matter, Brother. Select desired sister personality.

What the gently caress? :stare:

So, why not totally lose it, Brother? Calm down, down, down, B-B-Broth-th-th...

Sakura Matou's speech begins to skip and repeat, almost as if she is a malfunctioning robot. It's like she was reading from a script rather than engaging in a normal conversation. It wasn't only the incredible fleeing Shinji or the robotic Sakura that was going insane. Vertigo overcomes me as the school starts to waver. Samething strange is happening to the world!

You know what?

gently caress this.

I'm going home. Y'all can have fun with your broken nurses and vanishing acts and ghost dolls.

—Right, I'll just leave. Once I'm out of here, I'm positive that things will return to normal... If I walk right through that gate—

Leave.

The screen flashes.

Music: Deathly Silent

In this brief moment of time, I feel as if someone is talking to me...

What does that mean... Immediately after thinking that, my consciousness ceases—

Music: Game Over

I told you they would kill your rear end dead if you made a bad choice, didn't I? :v:

Next time: No-clip, puppets, and choices.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 12, 2023

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Fate Extra! I love this game and never intend to play it both because of awful gameplay and because of lack of platforms!

I'm also glad that the-honestly fantastic-scene with Sakura happened here to establish things so I can defend my boy Not!Shinji. A little. Not much because most of it is moderate spoilers but he's Not Shinji and thus does not deserve to be tarred with the same brush as that rear end in a top hat even if he is a jerk.

But seriously that scene is so creepy. The unreality buildup in this sequence is really drat good. Great writing.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

BisbyWorl posted:

I told you they would kill your rear end dead if you made a bad choice, didn't I? :v:

Next time: No-clip, puppets, and choices.

Yeah, but we went out on our own terms. The Holy Grail War can suck it. :colbert:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, but we went out on our own terms. The Holy Grail War can suck it. :colbert:

Considering the setup this idiot we're playing is a willing partecipant so it's a bit late to do the smart thing and NOT take part in the murder death kill.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omobono posted:

Considering the setup this idiot we're playing is a willing partecipant so it's a bit late to do the smart thing and NOT take part in the murder death kill.

Is he? He has no idea where he is, or even who he is. He was so brainwashed by the system, whatever that is, that he didn't even realize he had no idea about the most basic facts of himself until just now. I feel anyone here being a willing paritcipant in the Holy Grail War is assuming too much, for all we know they were kidnapped and thrown into a digital world. A world that, for some reason, replicates the setting of the original Fate/stay night, even forcing some random guy into the appearance and role of Shinji and creating an AI version of Sakura. I imagine Tiger is also an AI. God knows about Kotomine, he could easily be behind all of this. Leo and Kuzuki, who I imagine is also taking the role of the original Kuzuki and that's a fake name considering he doesn't look even remotely like the original and is also Leo's brother, are clearly real and not brainwashed, and may be the masterminds here. Rin broke free of the brainwashing near-immediately according to them, but considering the setting, this is likely not the real Rin, just someone that is just as talented as her.

The fact that this world wasn't real was obvious, but I feel there's even more questions now. And we've hit day 0, so I imagine that properly clearing this day (instead of getting killed for leaving school) will finish the prologue.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hell, I have a pet theory (that may have been confirmed at some point, there's so much Fate stuff out there, it's impossible to keep track) that the mage families deliberately bring in outsiders to a) make up numbers and b) grant themselves easy victories. They deliberately withhold information from people not directly affiliated with the big families, dangle a big juicy carrot in front of them with the idea that they can get whatever they want if they win and occasionally, they provide entertainment by taking out the Master or Servant of one of the rival clans. So for a good number of participants, they genuinely have no idea of what they're getting into, beyond 'beat these dorks and win a prize'. And if this is their first experience with the supernatural, they're so shocked by that, they never really stop to think about the bigger picture until some burly dude with the entire Spartan army knocks on their door asking if they'd like to step outside for a second just to chat.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Hell, I have a pet theory (that may have been confirmed at some point, there's so much Fate stuff out there, it's impossible to keep track) that the mage families deliberately bring in outsiders to a) make up numbers and b) grant themselves easy victories. They deliberately withhold information from people not directly affiliated with the big families, dangle a big juicy carrot in front of them with the idea that they can get whatever they want if they win and occasionally, they provide entertainment by taking out the Master or Servant of one of the rival clans. So for a good number of participants, they genuinely have no idea of what they're getting into, beyond 'beat these dorks and win a prize'. And if this is their first experience with the supernatural, they're so shocked by that, they never really stop to think about the bigger picture until some burly dude with the entire Spartan army knocks on their door asking if they'd like to step outside for a second just to chat.

You're pretty much on the point, the only reason they even invite other magi is because you need to summon 7 Servants and the Grail refuses to make multiple Masters from the same founding family. Also East Asia is considered a backwater slum by the Western Magical World so it's not like the average magi know much about the Murder-Death-Kill in the first place.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's heavily implied (if not outright stated) in Fate/Stay Night, yes.
The Einzberns, Matous and Tohsakas* know the Fuyuki murder-death-kill is a scam** and the other 4 magi plus ALL 7 servants are there as mana fodder.

*Except Rin, she didn't know because Kirei trained her wrong, as a joke.
**Technically it could work as advertised but that's a secondary if not tertiary feature

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
How all the Fate/Stay Night discussion relates to what's going on at the moment, though, is pretty ambigous because this is some kind of weird funhouse-mirror simulation of the actual Grail War. At the moment we don't know how many people are real, if they actually are the people they're named after, and we certainly don't know if they consented in any meaningful way to a battle to the death.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Omobono posted:

That's heavily implied (if not outright stated) in Fate/Stay Night, yes.
The Einzberns, Matous and Tohsakas* know the Fuyuki murder-death-kill is a scam** and the other 4 magi plus ALL 7 servants are there as mana fodder.

*Except Rin, she didn't know because Kirei trained her wrong, as a joke.
**Technically it could work as advertised but that's a secondary if not tertiary feature

Technically it could have somewhat worked as advertised up until the end of the 3rd war. Hell, FGO's entire timeline is based on this - an outsider actually does win, and proceeds to use the mana for effectively unlimited funding for setting up Chaldea. Outside of that timeline though the Einzberns hosed everything up for everyone in trying to cheat an advantage during the 3rd. After that it was entirely false advertising, including for the actual intended purpose.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
And then there's also the timeline where Kiritsugu just murders everyone that has anything to do with the grail war and ends it.

And then there's a second grail war in another dimension that gets imported that does work as advertised and oh god I've gone crosseyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still think my favorite was how in the Fate/Apocrypha timeline, the secrets of the Holy Grail War were stolen and taken back to Europe, where it spread and knock-off Holy Grail Wars started up in other countries. But Greece was never able to successfully get a Holy Grail War started because all of the prospective Masters kept preemptively murdering each other to ensure that they would be the first to summon Heracles. It got to the point where the Mages' Association stepped in and banned Heracles from being summoned in any Holy Grail War hosted in Greece... which just led to all the prospective Greek Masters preemptively murdering each other to ensure that they'd be the first to summon Achilles. :v: