Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I haven't seen anything in one of these stores that I wouldn't grab at a home depot or IKEA. The prices definitely don't justify it. Where are stores located these days? I haven't seen any in the greater Seattle metropolitan area for the past 5-8 years.

in my experience, walking around the container store really tickles the 'tism, but once you notice how high the prices are, you leave without buying anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baddog posted:

I didn't think it ended up being that big a deal either, but check out this visualization.

https://twitter.com/Biomaven/status/1422038460773322754?s=20

Lmfao

Delta is 4x as infectious + spreads like wildfire in children

#buythedip

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arzakon posted:

Congrats on making your life harder by having to calculate and report your wash sale manually instead of just having your broker have it all done for you on your end of year forms.

poo poo.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Hadlock posted:

Hard to move diesel truck engine parts if your whole warehouse is down and out for 2 weeks and only half capacity for another month

Very much this. There are a ton limiting resources here. Steel imports from India has been low and microchips are still in extremely high demand. US companies are renting parking lots to store their vehicles because they're waiting on parts to finish the build. PACCAR and Freightliner have back orders up to a year. Good luck finding this year's Ford or Chevy out on the sales floor for a little while.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Artonos posted:

People going to Sturgis aren't on the economic low end. They're people who can afford expensive bikes and leather gear and can take a week + off of work to road trip for fun. Sturgis may attract the manufacturing management, but it's not the dudes making 10$ an hour going to this. It's the people making 80k who are 60 years old showing up.

I think you're vastly overestimating the cash transaction value of a used motorcycle with deferred maintenance on the used market. You're looking at a case of beer to $7000 on the high end, and then another $2500-5000 worth of parts, spread over 3-5 years. Brand new Harley Davidson are expensive, yes, but there's a vast used market and equally as many shade tree mechanics. Annual carry cost of a motorcycle is extremely low. Halve these numbers if it's a Rat Rod

Regardless, even if they're mfg management, they're still going to bring it back to their office/workshop/warehouse, they're not going to sit in their office eating lunch alone, not telling their buddy all their latest Sturgis stories

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I'm done spamming doomer stuff until at least noon tomorrow, carry on,

Hadlock posted:

Over in the covid doomer thread, they're posting charts showing Florida is tied with and will probably beat by the end of the week, their highest infection rates from the big covid wave over the winter break

#buythedip

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cool. I still have no idea how these taxes work.

Goddamn you tax refund software lobbyists

Have a morning funny

Also Cramer killed the HOOD

cr0y fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 5, 2021

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

cr0y posted:

Have a morning funny

Also Cramer killed the HOOD

Did he? I got in at $38 a share, and it's still above 60 right now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cr0y posted:

Okay so the column that says deferred will never decrease. The tax credit was already baked into the new cost basis of the new shares (that you sold) so let's say you have 100 NDRA at $2.5, you sell it for $2, a wash sale of $50 you buy a SINGLE share of NDRA for $1.5. Your cost basis on that share is $51.50 because of the wash sale. You will likely never not sell this at a loss the tax credit is there. (now if you bought 100 shares your cost basis would be $2 a share because $50/100 = $0.50)

If you plan on doing a strategy that is likely to have wash sales, I highly suggest you talk to a tax professional. (That's not me I've just had wash sales before my understanding is likely incomplete and applicable to what I did)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 5, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e: wrong thread, but still garbage

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 5, 2021

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Ok I'm done spamming doomer stuff until at least noon tomorrow, carry on,

Here, let me help you out with a couple cross posts from the Florida thread:

Zipperelli. posted:

Add north central Florida to the list of places where hospitals are at capacity.

We have 3 hospitals in Gainesville. Only one is currently accepting new patients, and that is because they have to by law, and even then they're only taking strokes, heart attacks and traumas. That's it. Ambulances are being told "no, go somewhere else, we're on diversion" and there have been up to hour-long waits for ambulances if you call 911.

There are people literally dying in the freestanding ER's because there are no beds available at the main hospitals. My girlfriend used the last of the insulin last night because she's had a type-1 diabetic on hold in the ER waiting for an ICU bed for 42 hours (as of 7 am on 8/5, they are still there).

This state and country is hosed, but if you don't work in healthcare or know someone healthcare-adjacent, you never realize just *how* absolutely hosed we are.

Oh, I forgot: 2 of the freestanding ER's are OUT OF OXYGEN :lol: welcome to hell. The hospitals are out of oxygen.

mattfl posted:

Central florida checking in

Also, from our daily covid meeting this morning -> Emotional support plan: need help for emotional support: 5 resignations yesterday for ICU; RT had 3 traveler resignations;

People are just noping the gently caress out.

On a stonks note, I’m pretty much green on everything today!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
seems uhhhhhhhhh

Bad

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

seems uhhhhhhhhh

Bad

A good tagline that can be applied to most anything I read these days.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So hospitals can start charging $1,000 per Advil instead of $70

How's any of this bad for Number

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Spy stuck at 440.69.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO that Florida and Texas chose Q over having hospitals.

Time to invest in... IDK, tinfoil?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I bought a bit of LAKE. A company that makes HAZMAT suits and other PPE. XAIR already had a run but boy is it tempting too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Ive just bought a mining EFT that includes a couple of aluminium miners

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hell, CRTX Puts at my cost basis are so deep OTM that they didn't cost jack

Got me some good downside protection, expiring January

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

HOOD on a wild ride this week.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hell, CRTX Puts at my cost basis are so deep OTM that they didn't cost jack

Got me some good downside protection, expiring January

Not a bad idea with how other earnings announcements have gone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Texas is actually famous for having too many hospitals. I can't actually find the link right now because the search phase "hospitals" combined with "too many" just results in predictable results only going back to last summer. But anyways there's a bunch of shuttered, massive hospitals all over the state because for a long time it was really profitable to build empty hospitals

Weirdly Maresk (AMKBY) has not mooned, major shipping container boat operator for the Pacific, they're only up about 105% so far

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Buy the covid dip.
Buy BKNG, buy ABNB, and then go buy crappy retailers, they are all crushing numbers. Delta will likely be turning over by the end of the month, and you want to own everything well before it happens.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

NVO - currently hold 4 shares. P/E of 28.75. Increasing trend over the last 5 years. Recent weight loss drug approved by the FDA.

I picked up a bunch more NVO since ^^^ and it’s up 20%+

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

fougera posted:

Buy the covid dip.
Buy BKNG, buy ABNB, and then go buy crappy retailers, they are all crushing numbers. Delta will likely be turning over by the end of the month, and you want to own everything well before it happens.

What makes you think well be seeing this wind down by the end of the month? Historically hasnt this type of thing gotten worse as we go into fall and winter?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most models have Delta wave ending much faster than OG covid, simply because it's 4x more infectious, and also nobody is wearing masks this time around. ICU beds left in each state are lol single digit already, something we didn't have happen until much later in the big surge

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

What makes you think well be seeing this wind down by the end of the month? Historically hasnt this type of thing gotten worse as we go into fall and winter?

It's gonna run out of people to infect in a hurry. You've got half the country vaxxed, plus however many have some level of immunity from the various waves in 2020, there's still large numbers who are susceptible but the rate this spreads they'll all get got before long. Especially if Sturgis is a repeat of last year.

I don't know if it has been reported overseas but the contact tracing in the small outbreaks we've had in Australia has shown that people with delta become infectious and pass it on within 24 hours of becoming infected themselves. Unchecked it will absolutely rip through a populatation in a very short space of time and burn itself out.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

... and burn itself out.

And as we've established, just in time for the next wave. Rinse repeat. :smith:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The problem is that even if Delta rips through fast, it also means it can possibly mutate faster. There's already the Lambda variant, but if something pops up that can avoid the vaccine, welp, there we go again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I was hoping for a big ripshit day in the market to cushion a likely correction in the next month or so, but, well

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I am not motivated to make a play before these upcoming earnings calls. A lot of my speculative bets are reporting within a week.

Edit:
Holy crap, MP materials is looking sexy right now. Idk how long the bandwagon will go but a 4% drop in sales vs. a 137% increase in the price of rare earth metals is pretty good.

Cyber Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2021

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
I have a question. I have some SCR left over from the senate bill, which was A Shame until out of nowhere and through no efforts of my own they announced they were getting bought by Barstool. Reading about the merger it sounds like they're expecting a payout of 17 bucks and .20 of a share of PENN (Barstool) per share. When does that take effect/when is the eligibility period? I'd like to have my cake and eat it too if possible, and I'm up 30% atm.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
You probably want to dump it now. 17$ and .24 shares of PENN is like 34$. It looks like scr ran up over that to like 40. The deal won't go through until q1 2022 it looks like.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Once a year I choose to lose $20,000 trying to short the Nasdaq and NOW IS THE TIME

e: also bought January 2022 puts on LQD

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Once a year I choose to lose $20,000 trying to short the Nasdaq and NOW IS THE TIME

e: also bought January 2022 puts on LQD

now, the LQD puts really intrigue me. I mentioned potential corporate bond shorts a month or two ago in this thread. I've considered that too, but have not been willing to pay up for it just yet. you'd need to buy a lot, and be really right, to make a good profit on it. what's your exact position there?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

pmchem posted:

now, the LQD puts really intrigue me. I mentioned potential corporate bond shorts a month or two ago in this thread. I've considered that too, but have not been willing to pay up for it just yet. you'd need to buy a lot, and be really right, to make a good profit on it. what's your exact position there?

10 for $130 at $1.75 to start. This all hinges on the taper, debt ceiling, etc. Treasury supply is really limited because the Fed’s buying so much, issuance is lower than expected, and the debt ceiling could cut it off entirely. That’s supporting IG prices. If the Fed starts tapering at the same time that the debt ceiling gets raised etc treasury yields could get out of control. I don’t believe tapering or rate raises will ever happen but if they’re going to we should know in the next 2 months. If Jackson Hole looks promising I’ll start scaling in more. Figure there’s enough time left if Powell just say brrrr again I should get out relatively unscathed.

IG looks like a better short than HY and always short bond ETFs because of the liquidity mismatch problem. I don’t really think there’s a crash coming up but the setup’s good right now and shorting seems relatively safe and cheap.*

* will update Monday when the /NQs I sold at 15150 are at 16000

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Artonos posted:

You probably want to dump it now. 17$ and .24 shares of PENN is like 34$. It looks like scr ran up over that to like 40. The deal won't go through until q1 2022 it looks like.

This is helpful, thank you. I wonder if it's worth dumping now that the heat is on and then buying back in once people forget in two months (two days)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

spider bethlehem posted:

This is helpful, thank you. I wonder if it's worth dumping now that the heat is on and then buying back in once people forget in two months (two days)

Holding SCR right now is basically just holding PENN stock. At least the market has it priced w/ about 98% assumption the deal is going to go through. There's about a dollar discount, but that's close to just a tbill return w/ expectation that the deal will take about 5-6 months to complete.

If you think the deal is 100% to go through and you like PENN, just hold. Otherwise sell.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
A fair amount of people are in on AMD/XLNX pair trading right now. It's pretty neat. AMD has a deal to acquire XLNX, for XLNX share holders that means that they'll receive 1.73 amd shares for every 1 xlnx share.

You may think an efficient market would immediately pin them together forever, and you'd be mostly right. Usually there is a small spread between the two share prices to represent the risk of the acquisition falling through.

Abe shared this resource with me and it effectively illustrates the ratio AMD/XLNX is trading at right now, compared to the ratio the deal is set for.

Ever since June, the spread has been widening, for one reason or another. The widening climax was marked by news that the UK may be blocking Nvidia's takeover of Arm ltd (Combined with AMD memeing away post earnings.) The AMD/XLNX deal has already received approval in the UK and everywhere it needs it, except China, news on approval status in china is probably months away.

How does the pair trade work? To capitalize on this trade you short 1.73 AMD shares for every 1 XLNX share. These companies still have a $40.50~ dollar spread between them, and when the deal is closed that spread will be gone. A few months ago the spread was trading at a ratio of 1.55 AMD/XLNX pretty consistently, compared to a ratio of 1.36 right now, which still is a 20~ dollar gap, a fairly good profit taking target from here I think.

Your profit and loss based on the spread tightening or widening rather than semi's going up or down, because you're buying and shorting the 'same' shares, so I think it's pretty safe.

It seems like a pretty good trade, just food for thought.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finding out the hard way that even if you're in the green on your low volume call option, people won't necessarily buy it from you