Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gramps posted:

depends on the type, but sometimes they have an extra little filter inside. Some of them are just holders. a cigarette holder is a fuckin MOOOOD and very quickly identifies you to strangers as dangerously insane. I dig it.

NewFatMike posted:

Long holders or filters will generally cool the smoke down, which has an appreciable effect on the experience.

The only type of filter that might have a statistical impact on health effects would be activated carbon filters, but not likely by much.

Had a La Mission 1959 ROTT and it was extremely good. That San Andres wrapper has the extra bit to just really push them over the edge. Holy moly can't wait to see how it is in a week!

drat, rip
id probably smoke if i wasnt weirdly paranoid about my lung health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

zuffenphile posted:

Hello all,

First my apologies for the delay sending the box…..I was on vacation. The box will be shipped tomorrow and i have taken 3 and added 5. I broke into my vintage stuff, 2003 Montecristo “C” LE, 2010 Montecristo Grand Edmundo LE, and a Montecristo 80 Annevisario. I have also included a late 80’s Diplamatico and one more Cohiba Talisman.

Smoke ‘em in good health!

Take:

Welcome back from vacation! Can't wait to hear how that Tatuaje goes down (although I'm tempted to try one myself)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

No need to apologize for the delay, it was worth the wait! Can't wait to hear about the Tatuaje and also that Preferidos double perfecto, those look gorgeous.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

NewFatMike posted:

Welcome back from vacation! Can't wait to hear how that Tatuaje goes down (although I'm tempted to try one myself)

Thanks, I expect to light up tonight....and will report back!

Kenning posted:

No need to apologize for the delay, it was worth the wait! Can't wait to hear about the Tatuaje and also that Preferidos double perfecto, those look gorgeous.

Thank you all for understanding, it was so nice to completely unplug.....on another note, box has been sent!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

:siren: Maksimus54 :siren: is up next, I PM'd them with tracking info.

:toot:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

zuffenphile posted:

Thanks, I expect to light up tonight....and will report back!

drat that's some turnaround! Even the prospect has improved my Monday quite a bit

Gonna pop in for a LAdC Robusto - the Rothschildes were sold out, but the one I had essentially ROTT was pretty drat tasty. Those My Father/Ashton joints are :discourse:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Box is safely in my care. Wow there are some fun choices to be made

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Anyone have a preferred vcutter they use?

Looking to get a few things for my trip next week and that’s on the list.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

Xikar makes a good one, sharp and weighty.

Still prefer a straight cut myself though.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I bought a Colibri with a V on one side and a guillotine on the other after trying it in the shop. It weighs like a pound and does a good job both ways.

The V felt a little odd in my mouth at first but has had a good draw every time I've tried it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ThatOneGuy posted:

Xikar makes a good one, sharp and weighty.

Still prefer a straight cut myself though.

I love my Xikar v-cut. Colibri makes a great one as well, I hear, but I haven't smoked a cigar cut with one.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I have a cheap plastic impulse buy v cutter I snagged awhile back and I love it enough that I plan to grab a colibri next time I see em on sale

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
All good reccos thanks.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

I officially gave up trying to make my wine cooler work.
So for now I'm storing all my cigars in Tupperware (Sistema klip-it) and using the wine cooler as cooling (Boveda for humidity).
As the Sistema are relatively air-tight the Bovedas in there have lasted the better part of a year so far.

Anyway, after reading a few reviews I've gone ahead and bought a Raching MON1800A.

Figured I'd share some images:

Unit is coming by sea freight. If I remember I'll make a review. However, they are very expensive ($2800 USD with shipping to Australia).
Should get in in about 22 days from now.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That thing is loving rad

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah that looks sweet as hell, really excited to hear about it when it lands!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ophidian posted:

I'll add another vote for the Xikar. Also, their warranty is still good I'd personally not bother with anything else at a similar price point.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Ophidian posted:

Xikar. The VX2 is a bit deeper than the standard one.
A lot of people like the Colibri V-Cutter but it's super dull after a few cuts, YMMV.

Ophidian posted:

That thing is loving rad

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah that looks sweet as hell, really excited to hear about it when it lands!

Direct from Shenzhen, you can buy them off of Alibaba.
Comes in 2 options - black, or the above images.
Insides are apparently 100% Spanish Cedar.
Also, you can get an ammonia filter with it, not sure exactly what the purpose is as I've never really had a need to filter out ammonia from my cigars.

I'd like to know some decent wireless hygrometers so I can get some data logging going. That way I can provide an unbiased review, as their websites data log shows basically perfection.

FWIW, I talked to them about 4 years ago. I did a thing on Alibaba where sellers contact you. Out of the 3 - the Raching was the most expensive, but they also had better written English and were well-enough known, going to cigar shows and such to show off their product. I also asked for data logs and hygrometers to be put in (unit set at 65%). The Raching was the most accurate - but data logs can be doctored, but at least the hygrometers show 65% (give or take 1).
The others were in the 70's.

I'll provide an unboxing video when I get it. As it's compressor-based I'll have to wait before turning it on and filling it up. Plus I'd probably need to season it...

Valar Morghulis fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 7, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Valar Morghulis posted:

I'd like to know some decent wireless hygrometers so I can get some data logging going. That way I can provide an unbiased review, as their websites data log shows basically perfection.

I got this hygrometer back in April and I like it. It's Bluetooth but not wireless, so you need to be near it to download the info, but it stores up to a year of data. I like downloading it and seeing the temperature and humidity curves.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I went with the xikar and I’ll get it on Sunday. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
Tatuaje Clos L’Eglise

Initial:
Robusto; Smell of raisins and chocolate, nice construction and beautiful Oscuro / Maduro wrapper (just a touch oily).

The draw is very easy

First puff: strong spice, leather and a hint grass; peppery sting on the lips.

1/3 Has taken a few draws to settle the smoke down and smooth out.
2/3 Much smoother, well balanced with great flavors stronger leather
3/3 Spice is coming back with a hint leather. Was able to smoke down to a nub and enjoyed(never got too tar like)

Overall, this is a great smoke, many dimensions but it takes some time to relax.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
Hello again….

Ok, smoked the La Aurora Preferido Con No1 this AM with some coffee as a breakfast smoke.

Well constructed nice wrapper and draw once cut. The perfecto is one of my favorites.

1/3 mild smoke as compared to the Tatuaje, light grass flavor and hint of earthiness.
2/3 very consistent in flavor and strength.
3/3 began to get a little tar like, however the strength went well with the coffee and added to the fun in smoking.

Overall: not bad, decent smoke, not as good as the tatuaje, but pleasant start to the weekend!

Ophidian posted:

I went with the xikar and I’ll get it on Sunday. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Can’t go wrong with Xikar….best cutters available IMHO.

@kenning - looks like a cool hygrometer, I added to my list of things I need….Nice find!

zuffenphile fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 8, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's a handsome cigar! Thanks for the review. Would you smoke it again?

Speaking of cutters, I'm thinking I'm gonna pull the trigger on a table cutter from Atlantic. It'll do a few straights and Vs using a lever.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Holding off on that cutter for now, but I am having one of those lancero Nicaraguan Overruns from Cigar Page that's been hanging out in my humidor the last six months or so.

There was a bitter flavor that dominated the first inch or so that's passed. It's certainly got some bitterness left, but it's more of a complementary flavor to the rest of the woody, nutty main flavors.

I'm about two inches in, and I think I'm going to let this one go out. It's not awful, but it's not how I want to spend my next hour and a half or so. Gonna have something a little more mainstream.

The Overruns are fun for a gamble, but I think there are so many great even $2 or $3 cigars they they're probably not necessarily worth buying. But like any gamble, it should only be with money you're okay losing!

E: I have some Black Studio Works Rohrschachs on the way along with the San Luis Rey Care as Toro. I needed a quick stock up before heading to [REDACTED] to film BattleBots in a few weeks.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 8, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Holding off on that cutter for now, but I am having one of those lancero Nicaraguan Overruns from Cigar Page that's been hanging out in my humidor the last six months or so.

There was a bitter flavor that dominated the first inch or so that's passed. It's certainly got some bitterness left, but it's more of a complementary flavor to the rest of the woody, nutty main flavors.

The lancero overruns were the worst of the ones we've tried so far. First one was like smoking a chinese newspaper or something. I'll have to try the other one I have sitting around and see if resting did it any favors

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
For the record these Lanceros are the "class 34" ones, still a bundle stick but not sure if it's the same as the overruns. Might have to try another one today myself...

e: they still suck

Nexein fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 8, 2021

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Friends, I am smoking a My Father #4 lancero in the patio of my new house on a cool for Houston summer evening right now. Life is pretty drat good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nice! That sounds excellent. I'm sitting out on the deck catching up on some work and smoking a Nub Dub.

Classic all-round cigar, perfect for a cooler evening.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Box is in the mailbox awaiting pickup.

Take:

Give:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Those look great! Super excited that the box pass is rounding the bend. :siren: Mr. Wiggles :siren: is the penultimate stop before it heads home. I'll PM you the tracking info.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The big homey Nexein came through with some sweet treats

Edit: about halfway an hour in. These are quite tasty and smooth

Double Edit: That is a drat fine cigar, but maybe a bit much. I could've squeezed another 20-30 minutes out of it probably and I stopped a shade over 2 hours in. If you're a slow smoker this is a 3 hour stick. These are HUGE cigars that burn pretty slow, so keep that in mind if you end up finding some. Definitely worth trying, especially if smooth and luxurious is your thing.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 10, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My body.... Is ready

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Speaking of bodies being ready, I smoked an Ave Maria Reconquista last night from the AJF box-pressed perfecto set. It was very tasty, but apparently the light-ish dinner I'd had beforehand was insufficient, cause I got a little shaky and felt weird by the last inch and a half. I ate a couple pieces of candy and it passed in around 20 minutes, but goddamn that's a beefy cigar. Definitely going to need to reserve that one for after a large meal, and probably I should have an old fashioned or something with it to keep my blood sugar from crashing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

:siren: Pulling a Gramps :siren:

Last night me and the boys decided to try some of the Cubans from the last box pass. I had the Bolivar Petite Corona, and they got the 2017 Bolivar Belicoso and the 2012 Partagas robusto. The Partagas was extremely mellow, with just a hint of the grassy Cuban twang. The Bolivar Belicoso was super interesting, it tasted like culinary woodsmoke, like someone was slow-burning maple or something to smoke a brisket. The Bolivar PC was super sweet and had that twang in spades. It was super fun to try out some smokes that have some real age on them, although I think the consensus was that the Bolivar PC was the favorite of the evening. Very fun smoke over all!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

More sweet treats...

Super spicy off light up like Mexican hot chocolate that someone blasted with tajin or something. VERY good right out of the gate.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had some Black Studio Works Rohrschachs and the San Luis Rey Carenas Toros get in this afternoon, having those SLRs right off the truck.

The box for the SLRs was great. It's very handsome, pretty well constructed and includes a 69% Boveda within, so despite temps being a shitshow, I opted to give one a shot ROTT.

The opening inch wasn't really anything to write home about, but being a Toro that's acceptable.

I think the Halfwheel review is pretty on point - there is a Cuban element to this flavor, and not in one way like many others. There's woodiness, cream, and a hint of that salty mineral profile. Not a lot, but enough to evoke the flavor.

This is astonishingly good for a ROTT smoke. It's not particularly unique, but I'll revisit that in a few weeks. It's not just competent, but competent and good. Super check them out!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Any time someone mentions a salty flavor in a cigar I think of SCDH oficios.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gramps posted:

More sweet treats...

Super spicy off light up like Mexican hot chocolate that someone blasted with tajin or something. VERY good right out of the gate.

Update: These absolutely loving ruled. Like a dark chocolate turtle. Slightly earthy and nutty with really nice super dark chocolate and caramel. I can see why this one won so many awards last year. Of the recent COTY winners this is one of the better ones. We got some more Aging Room Quattro Nicaraguas with this shipment so it'll be fun revisiting them after smoking several other COTY winners recently. (Of all of them I probably liked the Andalusian Bull the least, but it was still really good)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Since I have no chill, I decided to blaze up a FOTT Nica Rustica short robusto this morning since it's not a million degrees out just yet.

What a killer little stick! Just dumping smoke off the foot as DE sticks are wont to do most of the time. Really nice chocolate espresso kinda flavors.
You can tell this is a Nick Melillo broadleaf if you've smoked his other work. This tastes like a marriage between the Liga t52 and the Charter oak Maduro. If you're a slut for broadleaf like I am this is a slam dunk box purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ran by the Binny's in North Riverside for you Chicagooons, I was running a separate errand. Managed to get a pair of Andalusian Bulls fresh out of the shipping box. They only had one box, so I'm glad I got in there!

Those bananas prices on La Aurora Preferidos ($8 double Perfectos) are apparently more or less constant, so you can swing in there any time to get a smokin great deal on great smokes.