Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal

podcast recommends! i feel like i'm all out. here's a few i like:

john roderick podcasts. i've been listening to him for many years. road work and roderick on the line. Conversational podcasts, nothing conceptually too catchy about it but he has a uniquely insightful brain when analysing people's behaviors, motivations, and needs, individually or as groups, just like a great modern novelist does. his rapport with merlin mann in ROTL is fun.

true crime podcasts: after a long time listening to them i realized the most popular ones on itunes are loving terrible, my favorite murder the worst among them. the trail went cold is a good, pretty dispassionate rundown on crimes by a guy with a real dorky voice. trace evidence is also not bad but it can go long, and the guy can be a little poetic during the intro, but he shows a lot of compassion and gives a lot of attention to the victims, who are often kind of ignored as anything other than bodies. I would prefer to listen to a female host for this kind of podcast, given the nature of the content, but these guys do okay.

miscellanea podcasts: futility closet is good for the 'brainy' category of things, mostly historical oddities and a weekly puzzle. american hysteria is basically spoken essays by one woman, who puts cultural freakouts in historical context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
true crime: The Generation Why. It's the only true crime podcast I listen to. Very haunting theme song.

comedy: it probably doesn't need another plug here but My Brother, My Brother and Me has got to be the funniest podcast out there.

Educational: Mysteries Abound. This lone Aussie is basically just reading u mysteries and creepy pastas from the internet, but he rlly has a way w/ storytelling and intonation. He abruptly stopped podcasting a few years ago but there's a great body of work here if u like mysteries.

:yayclod:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Well There's Your Problem is great now. Early stuff is problematic but as self aware people they've grown and changed. It's a good engineering disaster podcast.

Heather Papps

hello friend

hollywood handbook is my favourite podcast but even for this one i will not join a patreon so maybe i don't love it that much

let me see if i can find a nice thing to share:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafAr_DM-3Y
this is pretty nice

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh wow okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U48U-C6WCpQ

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes i strut around nude and call it a bodcast. you're all welcome to tune in anytime

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
If you like Star Trek: Voyager, then The Delta Flyers with Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan MacNeill (two of the actors from Voyager) is really interesting and fun.

EarzUp Podcast is a fun and entertaining podcast about Disneyland (and occasional other things Disney).

Also, if you are into homebrewing or beer, you might enjoy a podcast called Dr. Homebrew on the Brewing Network, on which I am one of the brewcasters!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i just finished an episode of improv 4 humans which is a podcast i like a lot that frequently does these really interesting episodes with a musical guest who plays songs, then the improv is based on things in said songs. it's how i discovered st lennox and the most recent episode had some really good songs and also imrpov.
joe pug is a musician i'd never heard of but i'm going to be digging into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AiHvYlFYhA

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

sticking with max fun, Judge John Hodgman? i also like Jordan Jesse GO! and Stop Podcasting Yourself for general comedy chat shows

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Mescal

your friend sk posted:

sticking with max fun, Judge John Hodgman? i also like Jordan Jesse GO! and Stop Podcasting Yourself for general comedy chat shows

the way i remember stop podcasting yourself is that they were the opposite of gross, kind of uniquely

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bacon Taco posted:

Also, if you are into homebrewing or beer, you might enjoy a podcast called Dr. Homebrew on the Brewing Network, on which I am one of the brewcasters!

Oh hello fellow podcast person, I will listen to your thinger!

I'm in the process of recording a podcast with my cousin about his fuckin tv show and also about just "ndn poo poo" right now. Currently it's devolved into fart jokes that will get cut out, but, still.

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Mormon Nailer posted:

Oh hello fellow podcast person, I will listen to your thinger!

I'm in the process of recording a podcast with my cousin about his fuckin tv show and also about just "ndn poo poo" right now. Currently it's devolved into fart jokes that will get cut out, but, still.

Thanks friend! Post what yours is, or DM me if you don't want to out yourself on the forums. I'm narrowing my real life identity down to one of three with that post, and for myself, I'm wondering if even that mild anonymity is worth loving with.

Vei
Cal Newport's podcast "Deep Questions" unironically changed my life... I listened to it during walks as I started developing a walking habit. His ideas make a lot of sense and I've been implementing them over the past year, with imperfect success but still awesome success.

Russel Peters' podcast "Culturally Cancelled" is very chill for when U Just Want To Chill

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I listen to Your Kickstarter Sucks weekly. The hosts, Jesse and Mike, make fun of Kickstarters, but my enjoyment of it is more in their back and forth and how well they bounce off each other.

I've also been listening to CBC podcasts lately. They have some interesting documentary type stuff. One is Someone knows something. It's about a reporter who tries to help people solve cold cases their loved ones were involved in. Season 3 is especially good, he tries to find people involved in a lynching from 50 years ago.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bacon Taco posted:

Thanks friend! Post what yours is, or DM me if you don't want to out yourself on the forums. I'm narrowing my real life identity down to one of three with that post, and for myself, I'm wondering if even that mild anonymity is worth loving with.

I'll PM when we have the link. We pre-recorded about 15 episodes total so far. I'm not putting myself out there entirely yet but people pretty much will have it figured out when the links hit the forums lol. It's... Not subtle, lol.

Eta: cousin is trying to get me to use my most recent headshot for the tribe as my photo and I look MURDEROUS in it, so that may not be okay.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Gross Dude posted:

I've also been listening to CBC podcasts lately. They have some interesting documentary type stuff. One is Someone knows something. It's about a reporter who tries to help people solve cold cases their loved ones were involved in. Season 3 is especially good, he tries to find people involved in a lynching from 50 years ago.

oh man quirks and quarks owns, and uncover has been very good. the nexium season was fascinating, wiretap is an all time great thank you government and queen.

treasure bear

Mormon Nailer posted:

Well There's Your Problem is great now. Early stuff is problematic but as self aware people they've grown and changed. It's a good engineering disaster podcast.

next week they're doing the tacoma narrows bridge disaster

it's a good pod cast

treasure bear

my favourite pod casts right now are:

apocrypals - two non believers read through bible and apocrypha and try not to be jerks about it. it's really interesting they get into how stuff was put together and make jokes

mike duncan's revolutions podcast - the guy who did the history of rome podcast (don't worry he's not fashy), really eye opening and engaging history

kill james bond - abigale thorne (philosophy tube), alice (from well there's your problem) and devon watch a james bond film and discuss how terrible james bond is

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

treasure bear posted:

kill james bond - abigale thorne (philosophy tube), alice (from well there's your problem) and devon watch a james bond film and discuss how terrible james bond is

I adore Alice and everything she does, and she brings so much energy to KJB. It's seriously a top five favorite rn.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

i like Car Talk

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

don’t drive like my brother

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
it's not a podcast per se, but I just made this thing where I ramble incoherently about niche topics in academic philosophy over footage of star wars episode 1 podracer for no real good reason. It's rough since I have no idea what I'm doing, but future episodes should (hopefully) be better. Worst comes to worst you could treat it as a podcast and just listen to the audio I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfIg7XWlmA&ab_channel=ThotRacer

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Farecoal

There he go

Mormon Nailer posted:

I adore Alice and everything she does, and she brings so much energy to KJB. It's seriously a top five favorite rn.

Trashfuture is great and probably my favorite podcast right now

Mescal

treasure bear posted:

apocrypals - two non believers read through bible and apocrypha and try not to be jerks about it. it's really interesting they get into how stuff was put together and make jokes

I wasn't expecting to hear about that one here, or anywhere. Benito is cool! from time to time i ask him for help with Latin (his latin is better than you would expect) or about points of biblical whatevers. The silly stuff in that podcast gets me fast forwarding sometimes, but i love it. he has no ideological/theological bias that i can tell, and he doesn't have any academic skin in the game either since he's not a professional academic--it's so hard to find somebody to trust in the area of biblical studies.

that james bond one sounds good too, i'ma try that

Finger Prince

Conan O'Brian Needs A Friend is the only podcast I listen to. I tried some others but it's the only one that stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

most of the podcasts i listen to are probably not that chill but one that i think is is ALAB which is a very funny group of lawyers convincing u that all of them are bad