Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I want to sell my 65 inch TV, but I don't want strangers coming into my home during a pandemic. What's the best way to get rid of it? It's not even a year old, but I want to upgrade to a OLED TV. Is Mercari a good alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Blood Nightmaster posted:

So I have an old external hard drive from college that I partitioned for schoolwork, with part being for PC use and part being for Mac use. I was able to access the PC side just fine using my Android phone and a couple of adapters, not ideal but better than nothing. I was wondering though, is it possible to access/view the Mac portion without actually using a Mac? I haven't used one since school and am not sure where I'd find access to one now but was trying to recover some files from that part of the drive and I'm kind of at a loss. I do have access to computers with Windows if using my phone isn't an option

linux. linux. [people join in] Linux! Linux! [crowds streaming out of doors joining us as we march down the hallway] LINUX! LINUX!

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

So I have an old external hard drive from college that I partitioned for schoolwork, with part being for PC use and part being for Mac use. I was able to access the PC side just fine using my Android phone and a couple of adapters, not ideal but better than nothing. I was wondering though, is it possible to access/view the Mac portion without actually using a Mac? I haven't used one since school and am not sure where I'd find access to one now but was trying to recover some files from that part of the drive and I'm kind of at a loss. I do have access to computers with Windows if using my phone isn't an option

Macs used HFS up through OS 10.2 or so, then moved to HFS+ unitl ~2017 when they switched to APFS. There is a HFS+ reader application for windows made by a company called Paragon that gives you a 10 day free trial. You can use it to read the files on any modern Windows device. Paragon makes an APFS reader app as well, but I don't believe there's any trial period option.

Or just live-boot a Linux environment if you prefer that.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do tattoos offer any protection against sunburn or skin cancer?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
even if you get some kind of UV-blocking ink, tattoos are deeper in the skin than where you get sun damage so i don't think it would help

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
We're looking to shift around some desks and cube walls in my office. Is there any good free layout design tools? Preferably a top down view kind of thing. I already have the measurements of the furniture and roughly the area to fill.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

We're looking to shift around some desks and cube walls in my office. Is there any good free layout design tools? Preferably a top down view kind of thing. I already have the measurements of the furniture and roughly the area to fill.

Honestly, pen and paper and a ruler might work pretty well. I used that planning the layout of my apartment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have roughly ten World War 2 magazines that I don’t want anymore. How do I offload them so they go to someone who would enjoy them?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have roughly ten World War 2 magazines that I don’t want anymore. How do I offload them so they go to someone who would enjoy them?

Does you local library take mags?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Assuming you mean "printed during WW2" rather than "about WW2", then there might be someone in the MilHist thread that would be interested. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461

If they are distinctively of-their-period, there might be people in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842135 who want them.

ISBNs and ISSNs only became a thing during the late 60s/mid 70s respectively, so swapping services like bookmooch and paperbackswap.com won't be too helpful in getting them to people who want them.

Maybe put them up on ebay as a single lot for $15 + postage or at some higher price point that lets them sell quick but high enough that the purchaser isn't buying to destroy?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I want to sell my 65 inch TV, but I don't want strangers coming into my home during a pandemic. What's the best way to get rid of it? It's not even a year old, but I want to upgrade to a OLED TV. Is Mercari a good alternative?

I sold a few bulky items during the pandemic via OfferUp and FB Marketplace, including a TV, and I just put the item in my garage beforehand and told them to bring a mask, it wasn't really a big deal

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I've had good luck with OfferUp too (buying not selling) can't speak to FB mktplc because yeah Facebook.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
How do I get rid of an old kindle safely and as reasonably ethically as possible?

My old kind bricked, I had to buy a new one, I have the new one and the old one, and the old one is taking up space. I've had it sitting on a shelf for a month and it's pissing me off how there's no information on how to get rid of it safely.

I'm in the UK and the free UPS pick up and recycling plan doesnt seem to exist outside of the USA so that's out.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OscarDiggs posted:

How do I get rid of an old kindle safely and as reasonably ethically as possible?

My old kind bricked, I had to buy a new one, I have the new one and the old one, and the old one is taking up space. I've had it sitting on a shelf for a month and it's pissing me off how there's no information on how to get rid of it safely.

I'm in the UK and the free UPS pick up and recycling plan doesnt seem to exist outside of the USA so that's out.

Does your council provide e-waste recycling? It could go there if they do.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Helith posted:

Does your council provide e-waste recycling? It could go there if they do.

There is a drop in centre thats a bit of a drive, but it does look like the best option. Thanks

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why does it seem like energy drinks are just adding more and more caffeine?

I noticed this when wanting to try some of the flavored variants of Rockstar. I normally drink the sugar free version, but with supply shortages the gas station I normally go to only has regular and zero. The zero is basically sugar free but with 240mg caffeine instead of 160mg. Their fruit punch and other fruity variants also have 240mg, even the diet versions. Our break room recently overhauled our vending machines and we now sell Bang and Adrenaline Shoc. Both of which have 300mg of caffeine. I feel like if I want an energy drink with a good amount of caffeine but not a ridiculous amount I'm locked into Monster, and they don't have sugar free variants of their best flavors unfortunately

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I mean I think it's because caffeine gives you energy, like an energy drink is supposed to.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I noticed this when wanting to try some of the flavored variants of Rockstar. I normally drink the sugar free version, but with supply shortages the gas station I normally go to only has regular and zero. The zero is basically sugar free but with 240mg caffeine instead of 160mg. Their fruit punch and other fruity variants also have 240mg, even the diet versions. Our break room recently overhauled our vending machines and we now sell Bang and Adrenaline Shoc. Both of which have 300mg of caffeine. I feel like if I want an energy drink with a good amount of caffeine but not a ridiculous amount I'm locked into Monster, and they don't have sugar free variants of their best flavors unfortunately

Check the bottle of Tylenol in your medicine cabinet. Is it strength, or is it "extra strength"?

No one wants plain old strength, especially when for the exact same price you can get extra strength.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The Rockstar Recovery line of drinks only have 160mg of caffine, I usually grab those because the regular ones make me super jittery.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Must be nice to have caffeine effect you at all anymore LOL. I need to seriously cycle off for a bit.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I mean I think it's because caffeine gives you energy, like an energy drink is supposed to.

Well yeah but even a Monster is already twice the caffeine of an equivalent Mountain Dew. I'm already pretty tolerant of caffeine and the high amounts do nothing more for me

regulargonzalez posted:

Check the bottle of Tylenol in your medicine cabinet. Is it strength, or is it "extra strength"?

No one wants plain old strength, especially when for the exact same price you can get extra strength.

I guess that makes sense. It just feels uncomfortable going so close to the FDA limit of caffeine for no reason

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Those SUPER ENERGY drinks with 300mg caffeine have about as much as an equivalent volume of regular drip coffee. It's basically the morning caffeine intake of an average coffee drinker.

The ingredients you have to worry about are the ones with no common equivalent, like guarana and taurine. Or weird proprietary chemical energy mixes. Who knows how much is good or bad or how much is even in the thing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Guarana is just a plant that has caffeine in it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Per Wikipedia, your body is about 0.1% taurine by weight.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I am convinced taurine was picked because it has 'bull' in the name, any tenuous research is ancillary.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

Guarana is just a plant that has caffeine in it.

It is possible, I'd say it's even likely, that plants like guarana and yerba mate have other trace psychoactive compounds in them than coffee.

Much like how wine-drunk, beer-drunk, and liquor-drunk all feel a bit different. Hops are known to have psychoactive properties. Grapes/wine probably have some interesting poo poo in them too.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST with manual transmission but the seller says the alternator is bad. The location is about an hour away at mostly highway travel.

If I put a brand new battery in, what are my odds I could drive it for 40-50 miles before the battery dies? Assuming the alternator is completely non-functional and anything unessential is turned off (radio, lights, ac).

I can change the alternator myself once I get home.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

I think there’s a thread about lost internet stuff somewhere but I can’t find it (hah) can anyone link it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maya Fey posted:

I think there’s a thread about lost internet stuff somewhere but I can’t find it (hah) can anyone link it?

I don't know where that is, but if you post about it in the lost internet stuff thread they're pretty good at locating that kind of thing

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

While watching the documentary Barkley Marathon, I noticed that none of the runners were wearing long pants. What gives? Wouldn't it make sense to wear something to protect yourself from all the thorny bushes? Is there a requirement in the dress code? Or is there some special reason I am not privy to because I don't do trail running?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I guess that makes sense. It just feels uncomfortable going so close to the FDA limit of caffeine for no reason

But it's not for no reason. These things are meant to make you feel awake and more caffeine is obviously going to be a big component of that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Eclipse12 posted:

I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST with manual transmission but the seller says the alternator is bad. The location is about an hour away at mostly highway travel.

If I put a brand new battery in, what are my odds I could drive it for 40-50 miles before the battery dies? Assuming the alternator is completely non-functional and anything unessential is turned off (radio, lights, ac).

No advice, but this was my sell my soul I want it car when I was in high school and I’m entirely jealous of this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eclipse12 posted:

Odds are good if that’s its only problem.

Ask in Automotive Insanity’s small question thread and I’m sure people will share how far they’ve pushed a car with no alternator.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Eclipse12 posted:

I'd say you could probably do that, but no guarantees, plus you will likely significantly shorten the life of the battery by running it with no alternator. Maybe bring a backup battery?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I mean the safest way would be to be to tow it via flatbed or a tow truck. If the car has a bad alternator you also don't know if there are other problems since the owner hasn't been driving it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Does anyone recall that quote that says “There is a reason the experts haven’t used the obvious solution you thought up”? Only more eloquently.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Extra row of tits posted:

Does anyone recall that quote that says “There is a reason the experts haven’t used the obvious solution you thought up”? Only more eloquently.

There is this H. L. Mencken quote: “For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

I mean the safest way would be to be to tow it via flatbed or a tow truck. If the car has a bad alternator you also don't know if there are other problems since the owner hasn't been driving it.

This ended up being the situation. Alternator was insignificant compared to the amount of oil it was dumping on the ground. Filled the oil and drove it to a nearby mechanic.

For $1500 I figured even with some extensive repairs it would be a decent buy. If I can have a running, rust-free 90's turbo Eclipse with fresh seals for around 3 grand it's a pretty good deal.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Is this a brown recluse?

https://i.imgur.com/tN52MbO.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Looks a lot like one, yeah.