Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be fair, Time's Person of the Year is ostensibly supposed to record what the biggest news story of that year was; we all know the story of how it was almost Bin Laden in 2001, before someone pointed out that that might not be a good PR move so they gave it to Giuliani instead (lol).

Jeff Jarrett would never be Wrestling's Person of the Year unless you were doing the anti-version.

Yeah in the 2000s the clear correct winner was passed over for good PR repeatedly. I think the most asinine was when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was passed over for YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be fair, Time's Person of the Year is ostensibly supposed to record what the biggest news story of that year was; we all know the story of how it was almost Bin Laden in 2001, before someone pointed out that that might not be a good PR move so they gave it to Giuliani instead (lol).

Jeff Jarrett would never be Wrestling's Person of the Year unless you were doing the anti-version.

While this is true, I believe they are referencing this

quote:

"On the Time Magazine internet balloting for Man of the Century, Ric Flair is now in third place trailing Jesus and Adolf Hitler. Raven is in ninth place" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, November 11, 1998.

quote:

"Flair is about to be dropped from the Time Magazine Man of the Century internet balloting where he is currently in second place behind Jesus Christ. More than 20 million people have voted, making it the biggest web poll in history, with Flair getting more than 310,000 votes as of 3/31. Flair is being dropped because Janice Castro, the editor of Time.com, said his showing is due to unfair lobbying from wrestling web sites. Jesus is about to go down as well, as religious organizations have gotten members to flood the ballot box too. Time.com is planning an exit strategy, however with the god of wrestling and the son of god removed, the big winner in the poll appears to be Adolf Hitler, who would become the front runner" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999.

Time ended up removing Hitler too. I forget if I voted for Raven or Flair, I definitely did not vote for Hitler or Jarrett.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

While this is true, I believe they are referencing this
Didn't even know about it, total coincidence, I just couldn't think of any more apt comparison to JJ

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I know it’s a general statement, and some may not agree, but let’s say Wrestlemania XSeven is the peak WWF PPV (interpret that however you wish). What would be the WCW equivalent?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't even know about it, total coincidence, I just couldn't think of any more apt comparison to JJ

To be honest it just sparked in my brain and I really wanted to post that Observer quote because it's really funny.

britishbornandbread posted:

I know it’s a general statement, and some may not agree, but let’s say Wrestlemania XSeven is the peak WWF PPV (interpret that however you wish). What would be the WCW equivalent?

Starrcade 97.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

britishbornandbread posted:

Bash 96. All downhill from there.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Is Meltzer partial to Royal Rumbles? I was looking at some ratings and he seems to hold even forgettable-but-fine ones in high regard. (He gave this year's men's ****1/4, for example)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think whatever ineffable formula Dave uses takes into account how much of a tradition the Royal Rumble is, whether consciously or not. Throughout the first dozen or so years they get relatively low ratings, peaking at *** 3/4 for the 92 Rumble, and bottoming out with a 1993 DUD and a 1999 * 1/2 star rating. Everything else hovers between 2 and 3.5.

2001 gets *** 1/4, and the match stays in that range (except for 2005, which wasn't rated due to the clusterfuck ending that included Vince tearing both of his quads when coming in to call an audible) for a while until 2007, which gets **** and since then:

2008: 4.25
2009: 3.5
2010: 3.5
2011: 3.5
2012: 3.25
2013: 3.5
2014: 3.25
2015: 1.75 (Roman vs. Everybody)
2016: 4
2017: 3.75
2018: 4.25 (Men's), 3.25 (Women's)
2019: 3.25 (Men's) 3.25 (Women's)
2020: 4.25 (Men's) 3.5 (Women's)
2021: 4.25 (Men's) 3.75 (Women's)

After 2002 or so they all sort of bleed together to me, but I'm not sure if on average the past six years have been wildly better than the 20+ Rumbles that preceded it, outside of the big pomp and circumstance and NUMBERS videos. Our resident Rumblologist Gavok probably has better insight though.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is 'SEAdLINNNG' like 'seedling' or is it something else

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

graph posted:

is 'SEAdLINNNG' like 'seedling' or is it something else

its seedling

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Alaois posted:

its seedling

ty been meaning to ask :)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I can never read it as seedling. I know it’s meant to be pronounced seedling but my brain just kinda glazes over the word and I read it as seadnnnnnn

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when you see the block of text, think of the word "seedling." don't read it. that's how i'm able to read all the secret codes that the discord members for this place post to get around being moderated.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every piece of text is a little block. it doesn't have to be a paragraph. that's the first lesson.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nanae can have a little block of romaji, as a treat

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cavauro posted:

when you see the block of text, think of the word "seedling." don't read it. that's how i'm able to read all the secret codes that the discord members for this place post to get around being moderated.

Similarly, GLEAT is a pun. It's pronounced "great"; the L stands for Lidet, their parent company, but L/R are interchangeable in Japanese because their alphabet doesn't have an L. So it basically means "great wrestling by Lidet".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
with wwe releasing people left and right, how many wrestlers are actually still on the main roster full-time? i had a thought as i was going to bed that we might get to the point soon where aew has more wrestlers employed and rotating through dynamite than wwe has, especially with the latter's leaning on part-timers

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
KRAdMMMMERING into the thread and SEAdLIONNING

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

flatluigi posted:

with wwe releasing people left and right, how many wrestlers are actually still on the main roster full-time? i had a thought as i was going to bed that we might get to the point soon where aew has more wrestlers employed and rotating through dynamite than wwe has, especially with the latter's leaning on part-timers

I've heard a bunch of stories of wrestlers who don't show up for work cause they just sit in catering and no one notices except for that 1 time they were about to get the BIGGEST PUSH (hr prolly noticed they didn't check in X week(s).

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Hirez posted:

I've heard a bunch of stories of wrestlers who don't show up for work cause they just sit in catering and no one notices except for that 1 time they were about to get the BIGGEST PUSH (hr prolly noticed they didn't check in X week(s).

Reminds me of a buddy of mine back when we were in high school. He got a job at some kind of warehouse, I don't remember the specifics of what they actually did there, but his job was basically to push a broom all day.

But no one ever needed anything cleaned, so after a while he'd just clock in and then leave to go do whatever before coming back and clocking out.

This went on for at least a month before someone noticed and he got fired.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 6, 2021

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I had a job at a big telecom datacenter, just to be on site, incase poo poo went down for colo customers (or internal servers - which were mega redundant, so they never went down, I saw 1 go down in like 6 years) - we had a nice futon and tv setup, and was a single person shift on nights (til someone died on the 3rd floor and no one noticed for like 6 hours and made it 2 person min.). But yea, I'd sleep 8-10 hours per 12 hour shift (unless a ticket came in, I'd have a shitload of alerts to wake me. but with colo+ilo/idrac becoming a thing, and MASS redundancy on internal systems or managed instead of colo (cause we charged a shitload! gently caress telecoms)). It was beautiful - most night shifts involved like some tape changes, and boxing them up for iron mountain.

god i loved that job but man it paid poo poo once we hired more people and me and my crew couldn't game the swap shift system anymore :argh:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Zombie Lemur posted:

Reminds me of a buddy of mine back when we were in high school. He got a job at some kind of warehouse, I don't remember the specifics of what they actually did there, but his job was basically to push a broom all day.

But no one ever needed anything cleaned, so after a while he'd just clock in and then leave to go do whatever before coming back and clocking out.

This went on for at least a month before someone noticed and he got fired.

I worked at an extremely poorly run learning center where I'd get long breaks between classes sometimes and no one ever checked that I was assigned a commensurate amount of work for the extra hours. So some days I'd clock in, teach a class, go get a haircut, work out, eat, etc. then come back for another class several hours later.

However they also refused to pay me for my last three months of work after I stopped working there and I had to file a claim with Small Claims Court. Which apparently they did all the time. An ex colleague told me they owed him for several months pay, totaling over $10,000 USD. I was like "uhh why did you keep going into work?"

Live by the sword die by the sword I guess.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What is the point of dark/elevation?

It costs money to make, it features a load of nothing matches and the YT views pale in comparison to TV - All it seems to be is squash matches like a HEAT or JAKKED back in the day

i understand it allows talent to get experience but to me I just don't see the point when they work outside of AEW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

What is the point of dark/elevation?

It costs money to make, it features a load of nothing matches and the YT views pale in comparison to TV - All it seems to be is squash matches like a HEAT or JAKKED back in the day

i understand it allows talent to get experience but to me I just don't see the point when they work outside of AEW

The #1 thing is it probably makes the company money, somehow. Tony wanted to give everyone who showed up for extra work last summer a match, so we got the mega Darks. But when you are hiring Paul Wight to commentate on a second Dark, you are probably making money on it. But it lets green wrestlers do TV style matches, let's wrestlers get over their characters on commentary and gives AEW more footage in the old tape library.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everything has to be a content farm to some degree now. best have it running off to the side

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dark filled a spot for people to work during the pandemic when everything was shut down. So, in that sense, there were really limited places for anyone to work outside of the big companies – especially indie people. Dark used to just be like a 45-minute show taped before & after Dynamite, where you always get dark matches anyway. Assuming it goes back to that format at some point with smaller cards.

Overall, though, AEW isn't a house show company and this gives local talent and their roster a chance to get in front of cameras and crowds to perform and gain more experience. It's kind of a win-win to use the arena they're already paying for to tape a bunch of more matches to do whatever with later. Could also be a big win for them to have a shitload of content pre-produced if they ever get onto a streaming service or want to syndicate stuff in other markets.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Padding the video library is probably a big part. Plus if they get a future star in there, they have "early" footage they can use without licensing issues

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the point of dark is to challenge taz and ex as to how many obscure references they can sneak into the commentary

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So Dark, at its inception, was actually just "well, we aren't doing house show loops so we'll just record every show and the dark matches can get thrown up on youtube because this is the modren loving era." But during the pandemic, AEW proved its mettle and basically used AEW Dark to build strong ties to the indie wrestling work. But allowing indie workers to get a payday that is higher profile than a super indie, but technically below tv, they create a relationship with indies and indie workers. Since wrestling in a performer driver sport/business, these connections are worth more than their surface moneymaking value.

Plus Tony Khan was trying to be the good guy during the pandemic and give indie workers a payday when they had none, and again this might pay off in the extreme when it is looked against the WWF's response to the pandemic.

graph posted:

the point of dark is to challenge taz and ex as to how many obscure references they can sneak into the commentary

:yeah:

MassRafTer posted:

The #1 thing is it probably makes the company money, somehow. Tony wanted to give everyone who showed up for extra work last summer a match, so we got the mega Darks. But when you are hiring Paul Wight to commentate on a second Dark, you are probably making money on it. But it lets green wrestlers do TV style matches, let's wrestlers get over their characters on commentary and gives AEW more footage in the old tape library.

also yeah, Dark Elevation implies they have hit some point where it isn't just profitable as a factor of their long term business, but they are getting something directly out of it that is big.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
It also helps massage the rankings for stars you want to push down the line.

Also, Pineapple Pete :colbert:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also, I have to imagine that when you're as rich as Tony Khan, you'll be an expert in somehow paying yourself for all of your endeavours. That's good capitalism.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
“Why have Dark” is the same thing to me as “why have random Orioles - Rays day games when Red Sox - Yankees gets all the Fox national slots?” Content, filling the schedule, making the numbers work etc etc. and we get eyes on a ton of people that way

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
If we didn't have Dark and Elevation, we wouldn't have JD Drake in the Wingmen!

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Dark gives us the Dark thread. That's enough for me. also dark is the A show

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I know of some horror stories with Russo and the opinion on him but what things does he get credit for that are either good and/or has a lasting impact still currently done?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked that he always had tons of midcarder storylines but I do think he executed them poorly at best.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

I know of some horror stories with Russo and the opinion on him but what things does he get credit for that are either good and/or has a lasting impact still currently done?

Pushing new talent, even if they sucked.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

karmicknight posted:

Plus Tony Khan was trying to be the good guy during the pandemic and give indie workers a payday when they had none, and again this might pay off in the extreme

yeah just look at the dark pickups/signings. pandemic dark was one of the best things that could have ever happened to aew

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One thing to keep in mind is AEW pays talent a salary. You aren't paying wrestlers per show, so during the lockdown it made sense to just run a bunch of matches because it wasn't costing you anything more for the contracted talent, just for the extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

King Bahamut posted:

“Why have Dark” is the same thing to me as “why have random Orioles - Rays day games when Red Sox - Yankees gets all the Fox national slots?” Content, filling the schedule, making the numbers work etc etc. and we get eyes on a ton of people that way

It also gives some of the less experienced people on the roster reps, which is good

Digital Jedi posted:

The idea of trying to give everyone something to do is good on paper, just sorta impractical, especially for a guy who ignores story details like he does

I also got the impression from the Chyna doc that he was one of the few people in the doc who genuinely cared about Chyna

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 7, 2021