Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Also buy a helmet now so when you impulsively decide to go fast you can really let yourself go as fast as possible without worrying about not having a helmet. I don't wear a helmet when I skate flat stuff (because I'm dumb), but I always bring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Laserface posted:

Things I am struggling with:
pushing. once i warm up my muscles I can get a few gentle pushes going. Coming from snowboarding, pushing is different, and im not great at pushing on my snowboard either. snowboarding, your front foot is strapped down and you cant pivot, and the most efficient way to push is at a 45 degree angle away from the board. getting my foot close to and parallel to the skateboard is tricky, and i sometimes catch it on the board.

stance. my snowboard stance is wide AF. i probably should have bought a longboard but the one i really wanted wasnt in stock so i went with the next best thing - a graphic that spoke to me. skateboard stance, particularly getting my back foot back on the board in the right spot and pivoting/moving my front foot are all proving to be a problem.

put your wheels in a crack or on grass and just practice stepping on and off the board, while looking at your feet and then without looking. rock back and forth heel/toe. crouch up and down on the board. try a little jump. do that for awhile. then try it with the wheels free. this might help with foot placement and stance width.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also if you’re concerned about protecting your corners, I’ve landed on my back elbow pretty much every time I’ve bailed so far.
From someone who has had a few concussions, the last one being gnarly and I’m still paying for 10 years later, get a drat helmet and wear it every time. I’ve been cycling, motorcycling, and snowboarding for years now, and I’ve never experienced faster falls with no time to prepare than on a skateboard.

If you're not very good at exercise, this is a really good sport to make yoga really effective. Nothing crazy, but a few times a week, even 20-30 minutes of basic core and leg flexibility stuff goes a long way, and it shortens your warmup time on the board by a lot. If not yoga, even simple body weight exercises that really stretch out your legs, glutes, ankles, and lower back are huge. Just for being in your 30s, keeping flexibility is some huge quality of life poo poo. I'm 36 and I've fallen off my yoga routine completely because I need a class for it, but I lift weights and deadlift, squat, bent over row, shoulder press, and chest presses have been huge in keeping me flexible and just generally feeling better in life, not to mention on a skateboard. Check out some of the basic exercise threads in YLLS, people there are really nice and helpful.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 28, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress man, where were the skaters like Andy Anderson when i was a kid? hes so positive and welcoming and friendly, and talented as gently caress.

gently caress the old way of skateboarding. its dumb. the exclusionary hardcore rear end in a top hat no fucks given poo poo is why I didnt get involved as a kid.

why cant it just be about having fun?

everyone, skater or not, should be like Andy.

e: on thread advice I have wrist/knee guards and helmet on the way from Protec. Im still sticking to my skating every day til they arrive but yeah 1 video about a guy who hit his head and now cant walk was enough.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 29, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Another Andy video. (don't think it's ben posted)
I thought I'd probably seen most of his moves. Nope. This is from 2 years ago, and is maybe the best I've seen yet.
I'm so stoked to see him, and the others, in the park next week, Thursday I think.

Enjoy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_bnfIJpKM

Laserface posted:

gently caress man, where were the skaters like Andy Anderson when i was a kid? hes so positive and welcoming and friendly, and talented as gently caress.

gently caress the old way of skateboarding. its dumb. the exclusionary hardcore rear end in a top hat no fucks given poo poo is why I didnt get involved as a kid.

why cant it just be about having fun?

everyone, skater or not, should be like Andy.

I totally agree. It's so refreshing and positive to see him doing so well and maybe changing the scene a bit.
I know I'll sound like an old fart, but the 80s scene was pretty inclusive and chill. There were almost no girls though, and I like to think they'd have been welcome in my town's scene, but maybe I'm kidding myself. Certainly in my group of 100 or so everyone was free to join, there were little kids , punks and average people and it was rad. Skating had always attracted the oddballs, so any weird style was ok, and there were plenty of skaters that just cruised about and it was fine with everyone. gently caress, I ran the skate shop but could only do a handful of tricks, badly, and nobody cared.

I remember going out a few times in the 90s to try skating again, and everything seemed to have changed. The "jock", aggressive type of pricks we hated seemed to have infiltrated, and there were inter-group beef and just a bad vibe.

Oh yeah, if anyone digs atypical skate tricks, checkout the Fancy Lad guys on youtube. They are like the butthole surfers of skating. The strangest of stuff. There videos are like outsider art, but they are rad as gently caress imo.

:corsair: out

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 29, 2021

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I grew up skating when everyone was assholes (including me), but I still skate and everyone is so much nicer now, and everything is a lot different. There are a lot more non-male skaters and I don't see them getting any beef. At my park there are a lot of older than me guys, like 45+ 50+ that are wearing pads and coping grinding big things, hanging out with young 19 year olds doing the same thing. I think skateboarding right now is the best it's ever been as far as inclusion. I mean I see roller bladers hanging out in parks and nothing happening. When I was growing up roller bladers and bikers needed to hide otherwise some hyper aggressive guys would throw their boards at them and stuff. There is still an anti-bmx sentiment where I skate, but it's not aggressive.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maybe it's because snow sports everyone is on holiday and there for a good time that it's always felt more inclusive and friendly to enter. Maybe that's why there's a ton of guys like who got into snowboarding instead of skating?

I think any sport where someone has the ability to command a board/bike/skates well is worthy of respect regardless. Even scooters guys are pulling tricks that look insane.

Might be a few years before that's in the olympics though.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
hate bmx because the pegs can tear up concrete parks and i've seen and come close to some bad collisions when the riders aren't paying attention. 20lbs of steel whipping around in front of you sucks.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

yeah i can kinda understand anti-bmx sentiment a little bit, although i understand some places will have one "extreme sports park" for miles and miles so sometimes they gotta ride in there. anti-blader stuff was always the lamest poo poo though. even as a kid/teen i was like :rolleyes:

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

Maybe it's because snow sports everyone is on holiday and there for a good time that it's always felt more inclusive and friendly to enter. Maybe that's why there's a ton of guys like who got into snowboarding instead of skating?

I think any sport where someone has the ability to command a board/bike/skates well is worthy of respect regardless. Even scooters guys are pulling tricks that look insane.

Might be a few years before that's in the olympics though.

Snowboarding is more gated than skateboarding. I always wanted to try snowboarding growing up but it was too expensive to even begin. You had to pay to access a ski slope, you needed winter gear, snowboard rentals, boots, goggles, and driving to a place. Skateboarding, once you have a board, the world is your skatepark. I'm sure there are other reasons why the snowboard community felt more inclusive. Outside of a ton of homophobia, which I think a lot of extreme sports suffered from back then, I think skateboarding was very inclusive to what probably boils down to people that fit a socioeconomic class.
I grew up poor, and so me and my friends had to wear shoes like this for months at a time, and we used to make fun of guys with new skateboarding shoes who couldn't skateboard well probably out of sheer jealousy. Maybe a little bit of that rudeness you've felt in the past is similar to the rudeness I have given to people.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm so old I remember it was a big deal when Nike started making skate shoes.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm so old I remember it was a big deal when Nike started making skate shoes.

the first or second time?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ArmZ posted:

the first or second time?

I definitely remember the first try and everyone hated it. Then I went to college in 2001 and stopped skating for a bit and when I got back into it I realized SBs were fuckin everywhere.

Lol didn't adidas try to make skate shoes in the late 90s as well?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I remember the first time Nike did skate shoes I thought they were super lame, but I bought some in 2011 and posted here about them:

gay for gacha posted:

I used to skate independent, but then I feebled this rail and the part that holds the kingpin broke! on the rail. I landed the feeble but I didn't roll away lol.

I'm currently skating these, and I must say they are the absolute best skateshoe I have ever had, and they look fly as gently caress. I've skated them for three days and they look brand new. It has like rubber and plastic at the front of the shoe so when I kickflip my shoe is still perfect. It has Kevlar and memory foam on the inside. Everyone at the park was gawkin my shoes yesterday.

hate going to the park and having some 14 year old ask me to play skate, and do all these flips named after animals that I don't really understand.

forgive me for the insufferable way I used to post. I believe at the time I played skate with a 14 year old who did a dolphin flip and I was kind of floored.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lol didn't adidas try to make skate shoes in the late 90s as well?

this got me curious and i did some googling :iiam:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=107426.0

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

gay for gacha posted:

I remember the first time Nike did skate shoes I thought they were super lame, but I bought some in 2011 and posted here about them:

forgive me for the insufferable way I used to post. I believe at the time I played skate with a 14 year old who did a dolphin flip and I was kind of floored.

Haha, that was pretty sweet all things considered.
I also miss the days when people were gawkin at my kicks

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I decided to skip skating last night and ended up putting my board down on the carpet in the living room and just balancing as if i was mid push and seeing how long i could hold it for.

the answer is not very long! the arch of my foot got heaps painful. I tried switching to some shoes with arch support instead of squishy insoled nike SBs and it didnt improve much.

anyway, I put some music on about half way through and just started doing one legged boppin' on the spot to get a feel for moving my weight around on one leg and it definitely had an impact because my leg this morning is a bit sore.

I also think I might be regular. Ive been riding snowboards goofy my whole life. Im left handed but my right leg is the one I use to kick things/put forward, but my balance is far better standing on my left leg than my right.

maybe its from years of riding on my back foot on my snowboard making it stronger? its definitely highlighted a few things. but riding a snowboard with my left shoulder forward is vastly more stressful than my right.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Nike made the best skate shoe ever before they tried making skate shoes. The original Air Jordans were hands down the best skate shoes that ever have, or ever will exist. :colbert:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

drat right.
When I see how much an original pair sell for, I wish I hadn't ollied through every pair I had

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Long Beach pro skateboarder Terry Kennedy charged with murder
https://www.presstelegram.com/2021/08/04/long-beach-pro-skateboarder-terry-kennedy-charged-with-murder/

quote:

Terry Kennedy 36, of Long Beach, California, was ordered held without bail while he hires an attorney. The hearing is scheduled to resume Monday, the DuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office said.

Prosecutors said Kennedy punched Josiah Kassahun, 23 of Wheaton, in the head and kicked him in the torso at an Oakbrook Terrace hotel on July 27. Kassahun died from his injuries over the weekend. An autopsy found he died of blunt force injuries to his head.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Holy poo poo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was cruising up to my office a few minutes ago and came up behind my boss who was on his way in. Was gonna be real slick and do a quick dismount next to him and say "Mornin' boss," when I hit my foot with the rear wheel and came off and stomp-ran past him waving my arms like an idiot trying to stay on my feet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skateboarding.txt

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I was cruising up to my office a few minutes ago and came up behind my boss who was on his way in. Was gonna be real slick and do a quick dismount next to him and say "Mornin' boss," when I hit my foot with the rear wheel and came off and stomp-ran past him waving my arms like an idiot trying to stay on my feet.

lol

I twisted my knee playing basketball two weeks ago so I’ve been taking it easy but once it feels better I’m probably gonna start bringing my skateboard on commutes since i can just carry it onto the bus and stick it under my desk at work.

I’ll have to pack my office shoes in my bag I guess so I don’t totally wreck them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For the first day, yeah, but after that why not just leave them at your office? That's my solution, as a bike commuter

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

That's crazy. A lot of skaters on Baker do hard time.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

gay for gacha posted:

That's crazy. A lot of skaters on Baker do hard time.

The only people close to Baker that were locked up was Antwuan Dixon and Ali Boulala, so not really. Terry quit Baker two years ago and posted a bunch of stuff about Andrew Reynolds.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Altared State posted:

The only people close to Baker that were locked up was Antwuan Dixon and Ali Boulala, so not really. Terry quit Baker two years ago and posted a bunch of stuff about Andrew Reynolds.

I guess you are right, I thought Greco and Dollin went to jail but I looked it up and I guess they went to like overnight jail not locked up locked up. What did Terry say about Andrew?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Stuff about not being treated properly, exploited.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I think the Baker guys, a lot of them at least, struggled with addiction. I remember Reynolds, Steamer, Greco, all went Sober around baker2g right?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxoX3MCBMIE

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to find a cruiser and looking online everything I find and like are all brands I've never heard of like Welcome, Darkroom, Transportation Unit, and I have no idea if that's because they're poo poo or because I don't pay enough attention or what

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

big black turnout posted:

I'm trying to find a cruiser and looking online everything I find and like are all brands I've never heard of like Welcome, Darkroom, Transportation Unit, and I have no idea if that's because they're poo poo or because I don't pay enough attention or what

I bought a Globe cruiser and its pretty swee but im an aussie in aussieland, no idea if they have big distribution in the states (they should because they are a loving huge brand)

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've tried a couple Welcome boards and they're pretty great if you like the aesthetic. I built up a cruiser using their Time Traveller shape.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My fave cruisers are Landyatchz various models, I have a Dinghy - https://landyachtz.com/collections/cruiser mostly I liked their graphics but the build quality is absurdly good, best board I own.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
If I get a 9.25" board, should I try to get wider grip tape or just slap 9" tape in the middle-ish

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Unless you are a grip tape wizard it's gonna look like you bought the wrong size tape and look kinda goofy.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My fave cruisers are Landyatchz various models, I have a Dinghy - https://landyachtz.com/collections/cruiser mostly I liked their graphics but the build quality is absurdly good, best board I own.

This! I have this Dinghy
and it is the most fun I have had skateboarding. Thee wheels and bearings have also impressed me.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

busentiz made a curved concrete block. sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r6AxCT4M5c&t=100s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

If I get a 9.25" board, should I try to get wider grip tape or just slap 9" tape in the middle-ish

If the 10" wide sheets are unavailable you can always slice a 9" sheet in half vertically, flip the halves around and leave a 1/2" bare stripe running the length of the deck.