Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

showdead reminds me of browsing at -1 on slashdot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pile Of Garbage posted:

[…] reminds me of […] slashdot

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im good with other people rooting through the poo poo so i don’t have to. could emptyquote this post in the twitter thread too

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tracecomplete posted:

Killed posts, whether flagged or nuked, go to the bottom. I think it's mostly user killed stuff. I flagged seemingly half the goddamn thread today.

when i looked at it there were grey top-level posts on the first page and non-grey top level posts on subsequent pages, which i think indicates manual lowering. it was certainly all stuff which deserved to be yeeted off the first page if so.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

vaccine hipster

timbo1642 3 days ago [–]

Absolutely, just about every liberal media source, scientific establishment, and politician did with no proof or data. That's exactly what they always do.
They pretend to be open, they pretend to believe in science, but they just lie and push an agenda and that's all they do.
I'm very pro vaccine, so pro vaccine I've gotten vaccines most people have never heard of, but the reality is, EVERY medical professional that claims the vaccine is safe is a liar and the doctors are violating their Hippocratic oath. We don't know the long term side effects, so they should instead say "From the data we have, short term side effects are minimal, BUT we have no idea what the long term side effects are." That would be the honest answer. They should still recommend it for most people, but they should be honest. They like many people are brainwashed by the drug companies and act like they are on their payroll.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they have a dealer who can hook me up with the lyme disease vaccine that was pulled from the market because of people being stupid I'd be very interested.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
gotta say “im into some pretty obscure vaccines, you probably haven’t heard of them” is an interesting angle for hn

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hn bros: you lefties are incapable of imagining any solution to any problem that doesnt involve a magical benevolent state sweeping in to save us
also hn bros: save me daddy climate-bezmuskos

quote:

jsonne 32 minutes ago [–]

If there is anything covid has taught me its that collective action isn't something we can rely on and is a lot more wishful thinking about the state of humanity rather than a sober look at the reality. Governments need to tax CO2 emissions on the business side and pour the money into carbon capture technology in the private space through investment and perhaps some sort of bounty program (you get $x for each ton you capture). The greatest hope I see for the future of humanity is the incentive for a brilliant mind/leader to become the next Bezos/Musk via climate change technology and to do that the incentives have to be setup to make it happen. I'm past hoping for people to do the right things en masse.

(currently top comment on the ipcc thread)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

besides the obvious lmao at "maybe we should tax co2 and let the market fix this" at >1C in 2021

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

perhaps i could offer some tax incentive to venture businesses that promise net removal of the water filling up my mouth and nose

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

1337shadow 9 minutes ago [–]

Each human being emits 25 tons of CO2 per year just by breathing, should the businesses also be taxed based on their number of employees? People often forget the good parts about the little CO2 increase from the past century, I care a lot about environment (I'm a countryside person) but CO2 - many people forget it is the food of the plants that we need to eat - just takes all the place in the environmental debate and what I think are more important matters such as waste reduction, ocean cleaning, recycling, durable/fixable hardware... I'm hoping for people to do a cost/benefit analysis of the CO2 situation and start thinking rationally and work on what is actually bad for us, not just CO2 greenwhashing bs.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

1337shadow 9 minutes ago [–]

Each human being emits 25 tons of CO2 per year just by breathing, should the businesses also be taxed based on their number of employees? People often forget the good parts about the little CO2 increase from the past century, I care a lot about environment (I'm a countryside person) but CO2 - many people forget it is the food of the plants that we need to eat - just takes all the place in the environmental debate and what I think are more important matters such as waste reduction, ocean cleaning, recycling, durable/fixable hardware... I'm hoping for people to do a cost/benefit analysis of the CO2 situation and start thinking rationally and work on what is actually bad for us, not just CO2 greenwhashing bs.

cost/benefit analysis
cost: 2 billion people becoming refugees and starving or dying in conflicts in the next few decades
benefit: extra day of sun in my yard (im a bit of an outdoors type)

so you can see its really impossible to say, for me, as a rational person

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

god drat

hn thread: You think a 100% failure rate on the hottest topic in the world right now is likely?

principal skinner: no, it's reality which is wrong

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

golergka 8 hours ago [–]

Usage of the word "justify" implies that there's some objective "just" level of work relations that we can deduce that would be fair for everyone. I don't think that this universality exists.
Some people are okay with this, some are not. Some companies want this, some do not. There are plenty of different employees and employers out there, and they can balance their respective wishes on a free market.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

it’s true. even back in the day, all those Victorian 8 year olds who broke their back as chimney sweeps did so because it equitably balanced their wish of “not starving in a gutter” with their employers wish for exploitable, disposable laborers

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 9, 2021

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The ghouls are in!

inglor_cz 15 minutes ago [–]

BioNTech has a lot of potentially groundbreaking mRNA therapies in its pipeline, some of them against various forms of cancer.

https://investors.biontech.de/news-releases/news-release-det...
https://biontech.de/science/individualized-cancer-medicine
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03072-8

I am really looking forward for such solutions, gently caress cancer.

That said, the economic impact of such cures isn't clear to me. If your population gains, on average, say, a year or two of life, the pay-as-you go pension systems that are already under strain in greying Europe will come under even bigger strain.

So it seems that each discovery like that will be balanced by us working longer. Personally, I as a 42 y.o. in Czechia, do not expect to get any meaningful state pension ever. There will be just too many of us.

londons_explore 18 minutes ago [–]

Are they really selling vaccines for $19/dose?
Seems like bad business when plenty of countries would have paid $1000/dose if they could get the first deliveries and open their economy a few months earlier.
And those higher prices could have supported more factories being built to make more doses quicker.
Where there backdoor payments to decide who got which doses first?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the first post you quoted doesn't seem very ghoulish to me. it's just stating a fact: pension schemes are designed around a certain life expectancy, and as life expectancy increases so do pension obligations. in the USA, this means that various Medicare and Social Security trust funds will run out of money over the next few decades. they're explicitly not advocating for more cancer to keep life expectancy down (the hn-ish take here is to encourage smoking, as it tends to kill quickly and around the retirement age, so you get maximum economic benefit from a smoker while minimizing end-of-life medical expenses)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
so the trusts will have to raise rates. nbd.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the first post you quoted doesn't seem very ghoulish to me. it's just stating a fact: pension schemes are designed around a certain life expectancy, and as life expectancy increases so do pension obligations. in the USA, this means that various Medicare and Social Security trust funds will run out of money over the next few decades. they're explicitly not advocating for more cancer to keep life expectancy down (the hn-ish take here is to encourage smoking, as it tends to kill quickly and around the retirement age, so you get maximum economic benefit from a smoker while minimizing end-of-life medical expenses)

I agree, the original post seems fine, and not just for HN?

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

so the trusts will have to raise rates. nbd.

you mean the fed has to print more money

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
honestly, our modern understanding of economics is such that we probably could switch from using trust funds to printing money to cover social security and medicare and even basic income without producing any significant inflation, much less hyperinflation, by adjusting a variety of other economic inputs and outputs to keep monetary velocity from changing too much

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Hollow Talk posted:

I agree, the original post seems fine, and not just for HN?

I don’t know. I get the concern but I find it a bit weird to hear “there might be a cure for cancer” and going “hm but my pension”

like sure if you want I’d bet a good cancer vaccine is also gonna be cheaper than longer treatment costs on the system too. But maybe the olds need to die faster for my retirement that works too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I don’t know. I get the concern but I find it a bit weird to hear “there might be a cure for cancer” and going “hm but my pension”

like sure if you want I’d bet a good cancer vaccine is also gonna be cheaper than longer treatment costs on the system too. But maybe the olds need to die faster for my retirement that works too.
There was an extremely dumb BBC thriller miniseries ("The Shadow Line") a few years ago where the villain behind a massive conspiracy ended up explaining in a particularly silly scene in the last episode that all the crimes they were committing were actually good because they were paying for police pensions. I couldn't understand how anyone the writers could come up with something so stupid but maybe they were actually HN posters?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

everyone still dies of something, so in a bleak financial calculus, people not dying of cancer in their 70s might just mean they need a lot more transplants, prosthetics, and minor surgeries to improve their quality of life while they’re in their 80s and 90s. or if nothing else it means they’re still alive and consuming resources (housing/food/energy/care) without contributing much anymore

from a less misanthropic perspective, of course, you might think giving a lot of people an extra 10+ years of normal life would be worth something to society

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

I'm baffled by the glowing endorsements of TikTok on Hacker News of all places. TikTok content comes across as completely vapid.

im dyin

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

rutierut 1 hour ago [–]

I just finished this and as a big fan of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality I enjoyed this a lot as well.

Anyone with an analytical/rational mindset will probably love both, even if you're normally not into fiction.

Don't expect to be able to discuss it with anyone that hasn't read it - or something like it - though.

werzum 8 minutes ago [–]

Hey, I am a big fan of HPMOR too, and can absolutely feel your pain of not being able to discuss the book with anyone. Do you have more books that went in a similar direction?

I started reading the Eternal Golden Braid after, which was really good but dense, and for some light fantasy The Name of the Wind was an overall impressive book.

Big surprise, there.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

MononcQc posted:

It might also mean that people will live longer, but will generally be poorer in the future while living longer, since social security won't be able to cope. This would then be true for everybody, including the poster. Poverty in old age is a thing that exists with functional social systems, too. The way I read it (which is, admittedly a best-case scenario) is that more thought has to be put into how social security can work with an ever-older populace, which in turn is politically difficult because there are already so many "old" people that it's demographically advantageous to simple promise additional rises for the current generation of pensioners to make sure they vote for you right now. Perhaps, there is a bit of a parallel here between future-proofing social security and climate change, where vested interests in the present conflict with sustainable long-term strategies for future generations?

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 11, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't there some sort of societal cost to dealing with cancer currently too? It just seems weird to assume that people being healthier longer will automatically be bad.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

KozmoNaut posted:

Big surprise, there.

except that thread is about Unsong which is legitimately, no-qualifiers-needed great

http://unsongbook.com/interlude-%D7%AA-trump/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's by Scott Alexander, so ehhhhh I have my doubts.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

"DoD Awards $1B Contract to Peraton to Counter Misinformation" this post title is impressive for how hackernews catnip it is

matti
Mar 31, 2019

other great threads from hn tonight:

Launch HN: Senpai.gg (YC S21) – Personal gaming coach for PC gamers
127 points by berkozer 3 hours ago | hide | 91 comments
Actual impostors don't get impostor syndrome (zapier.com)
194 points by gscott 7 hours ago | hide | 157 comments

another ycombinator success story! also, please massage my ego!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

except that thread is about Unsong which is legitimately, no-qualifiers-needed great

http://unsongbook.com/interlude-%D7%AA-trump/

i just looked at the toc and was like huh, so that's what 94 chapters of sucking your own dick looks like

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rjmccall posted:

from a less misanthropic perspective, of course, you might think giving a lot of people an extra 10+ years of normal life would be worth something to society

depends, can they work a register?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The average hn poster probably thinks people should be taken out and shot when they hit 40 (unless they're an entrepreneur).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Show HN: olds.go -- Execution as a Service

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

matti posted:

Launch HN: Senpai.gg (YC S21) – Personal gaming coach for PC gamers
127 points by berkozer 3 hours ago | hide | 91 comments

reading the hn thread so you don't have to, this is less "personal gaming coach" and more "cheat program"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

reading the hn thread so you don't have to, this is less "personal gaming coach" and more "cheat program"

it’s not considered cheating in riot games. in lol it’s basically like having a 2nd monitor with the wiki page for your summoner up. for valorant… actually I’m not sure if there’s any actually useful in match info? it compiles stats from your matches you’d have to record manually.

with the esports bubble I’m sure there’s revenue opportunities. they’re not going to become a unicorn or anything with that though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

people in the thread were saying that getting audio notifications for stuff happening in valorant was cheating. i was assuming they're right even though it's hn, since i haven't played the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

radu_floricica 20 hours ago [–]

Funny as you're twisting what I said. I'm really tempted to wonder if it's because of culture war, or your subconscious feels a bit guilty. Probably culture war.
I called inhuman being certain that you'll never randomly flirting with any young women you're working with, over many years. Not exactly what you're saying, is it?
Also for the record, most 17 years old are attractive. They're not dateable if you're older, not relationship material, illegal to have sex with in certain legislation, a bad idea to in most cases and so on. But attractive? Why wouldn't they be? Ah, because you called them "minors". I'm sorry for you, if you really live in that world.
Edit: should have probably used a less harsh tone. Sorry. I'll blame it on being misinterpreted so badly, but still.