Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vincent posted:

Has there being stuff brought up about Schrader? Beside him horny posting on Facebook, I mean.

What would even come up about him? He says it out loud, without prompting, all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It should maybe be apparent by now that not everyone ITT is in the cool club of people who closely follow Paul Schrader's Facebook. Not everyone may even know who he is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have no idea who he is.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, Schrader's been openly a deviant for decades now and everyone here is just used to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

I have no idea who he is.

He's a writer and director. He wrote Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and recently he directed First Reformed which was a big awards movie that year.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I thought it was David Letterman's band director, so apparently he's perfected some kind of defensive camoflage. Somewhere, Paul Schaffer keeps getting banned from Twitter and he can't figure out why.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What would even come up about him? He says it out loud, without prompting, all the time.

The only reason I know he stripped butt naked to get the actors to do it in The Canyons is because he wouldn’t stop bragging about it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

He's a writer and director. He wrote Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and recently he directed First Reformed which was a big awards movie that year.

He also wrote Rolling Thunder and Bringing out the Dead. And directed the memorable trilogy: Cat People, Mishima and American Gigolo in the early 1980s.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So is he a bad person or just really weird with some galaxy brain boomer takes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's a strange man with a poor sense of boundaries.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

King Vidiot posted:

So is he a bad person or just really weird with some galaxy brain boomer takes?

His sexual views were always those of a neanderthal, but he rose to prominence during a time when that kind of behaviour was implicitly condoned in artists and so never bothered to hide it. Now that times have changed, he doesn't understand why people consider him creepy rather than eccentric.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, not sure how anyone can watch Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and fail to come to the realization that the guy who wrote those movies has some serious issues with women in his life. Not that they aren't great films, just... So much Catholic guilt and Madonna/Whore complex BS.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah the dude's 75 years old and he's spent like, 60 of those years being a certain kind of guy. I think he's one of the greatest living screenwriters and I adore a bunch of his movies but he's absolutely the weird uncle with no filter who is going to say something inappropriate at some point during the night.

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1419746881262034949

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1408979951433494530

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1405165557436096517

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1405217633914470400

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1399025795281137666

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1397247894969794566

etc. As far as I know nobody has ever accused him of sexual assault or harassment or anything like that but when you have to clarify that you know you're in an unfortunate place.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

kaworu posted:

Yeah, not sure how anyone can watch Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and fail to come to the realization that the guy who wrote those movies has some serious issues with women in his life. Not that they aren't great films, just... So much Catholic guilt and Madonna/Whore complex BS.

Schrader is a Calvinist though (or was anyway). The Catholic elements of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull mostly come from Scorsese. Not that Scorsese didn't wrestle with his own demons of course.

Edit: It's probably no coincidence that Schrader's greatest idol is Robert Bresson, who was reportedly something of a horndog himself.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 7, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, he does at least end that post by correctly gendering Elliot Page, sooo... there's that. At least.

Yeesh.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah the dude's 75 years old and he's spent like, 60 of those years being a certain kind of guy. I think he's one of the greatest living screenwriters and I adore a bunch of his movies but he's absolutely the weird uncle with no filter who is going to say something inappropriate at some point during the night.

etc. As far as I know nobody has ever accused him of sexual assault or harassment or anything like that but when you have to clarify that you know you're in an unfortunate place.

You missed out on the old man racism

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1418793936894808075?s=20

https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1418927188292874246?s=20

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember kids shouting that in the late 80s/early 90s in my pubic schools when fights broke out, so that's not made up at least

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm the Facebook reaction emojis

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wait until you find out the original words to eenie meanie minnie moe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

These guys always come off as solipsistic to me. Do they realize other men and women are quite often horny and are easily able to control themselves and not touch other people.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

These guys always come off as solipsistic to me. Do they realize other men and women are quite often horny and are easily able to control themselves and not touch other people.

Do other men and women have illustrious Hollywood screen writing careers in which their entire livelihood is somewhat predicated on them having written these frankly insane movies about men with insane views on women, though?

That’s the key, IMO. He had experienced success and material wealth as a direct result of writing movies like Taxi Driver. That reinforces, in his own mind, that people think he is “right”.

It’s kinda like James Franco, a piece of poo poo I think about a lot. He’s had people telling him that’s he’s a brilliant and talented artist since he was, like, 14… and that’s how you end up with a guy in his early 30’s opening an “acting college” and getting sued by the students because he tried to get them to blow him during improv class.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s kinda like James Franco, a piece of poo poo I think about a lot. He’s had people telling him that’s he’s a brilliant and talented artist since he was, like, 14… and that’s how you end up with a guy in his early 30’s opening an “acting college” and getting sued by the students because he tried to get them to blow him during improv class.

Gallo's method is not accepted as a valid performance technique but seems like it has a lot of adherents trying to push it mainstream.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Groovelord Neato posted:

you ever seen Claire's Knee?

dude waxes poetic about what a saint he is for not boning a teenaged girl after buttering up her little sister

but since it's French and 1970 the woman he's telling it to is like "cool"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Everything Schrader writes has this heavy vibe of, not malicious but "ha ha! that's enough grandpa! time for bed now!!!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As loving crazy as Schrader is, I appreciate that he channels that craziness into some great loving cinema. First Reformed is one of the best films of the century.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chickened out at the ending imo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:allbuttons:
https://twitter.com/sam_rosenfeld/status/1424416290589102081

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jack Nicholson is the answer, for those unaware.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I didn’t know about the ‘Polacks’, presumably, thing though. And Google doesn’t seem to know either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remulak posted:

I didn’t know about the ‘Polacks’, presumably, thing though. And Google doesn’t seem to know either.

Spiro Agnew.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, I don't really know how you'd phrase that question in Trivial Pursuit where you wouldn't be downplaying what happened. I mean you could say where he "got in trouble with a scandal involving a minor" or words to that effect, but it'd be glossing over the fact that he drugged and raped a child.

But definitely don't do what they did.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Is "not asking about teens being drugged and raped by a creepy fuckface trying to play the victim" not an option?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Is "not asking about teens being drugged and raped by a creepy fuckface trying to play the victim" not an option?

RAW if it's a specified category ask and you draw it you're supposed to ask it regardless of circumstances but every game I've played the house rule has been you can burn a card if you don't like the question for any reason. If it's dealer's choice of question you can pick anything on the card and skip the gross one. I'd probably just pitch that whole card in the trash to be honest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Midjack posted:

RAW if it's a specified category ask and you draw it you're supposed to ask it regardless of circumstances but every game I've played the house rule has been you can burn a card if you don't like the question for any reason. If it's dealer's choice of question you can pick anything on the card and skip the gross one. I'd probably just pitch that whole card in the trash to be honest.

I think it's more "TP should've never printed the question in the fist place."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I think it's more "TP should've never printed the question in the fist place."

Agreed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edogawa rando posted:

Not for boomers no. They stinky

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ah hell of course. How do we tell our children about Spiro Agnew? He seems like a creature of the fairy tales, like the Wormtounge ofTolkien, or George H.W. Bush, surely fictional.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 10, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://consequence.net/2021/08/jim...zlf3z2yrl2JcNbU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remulak posted:

Ah hell of course. How do we tell our children about Spiro Agnew? He seems like a creature of the fairy tales, like the Wormtounge ofTolkien, or George H.W. Bush, surely fictional.

They won't even believe that was his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My grandparents threw a party when he was named VP, not in congratulations but because he wouldn't be the mayor anymore and had to design from the Chairman of their gardening committee.