Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Check your email for a sample file, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! I didn't get it to open, I'm planning on checking out a few things on it. Trade show this week, so there's the delay.

Hopefully I'm going to be able to touch base with the team at Dassault about it because it's pretty bonkers.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendation for tutorial videos/series for Solidworks? I picked up the EAA version and have basically no experience in it except for two models I made by poking around in the interface and using whatever the right button SEEMED to be. My only other experience is some Fusion 360 work, and Solidworks seems to have a different paradigm vis-a-vis building multiple parts in one thing vs building things separately and assembling them.

If it helps, I'm looking to use this to do mostly woodwork and maybe some other related fabrication (3D printing), not planning to model and build huge complex assemblies or anything to be cast or forged or whatever else.

I saw some good-looking tutorials on Skillshare and on Udemy but a recommendation would be great, especially if there's a free video series somewhere online.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find that I get more out of example demonstration videos than I do out of videos aimed at training. Search youtube for solidworks examples with keywords for whatever kinds of thingies you want to model. I think that watching someone else actually do something similar to what you want with a bit of explanation is a lot more useful than watching someone overexplain every detail of every feature. Even more so if you already have some experience in F360.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

teamdest posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation for tutorial videos/series for Solidworks? I picked up the EAA version and have basically no experience in it except for two models I made by poking around in the interface and using whatever the right button SEEMED to be. My only other experience is some Fusion 360 work, and Solidworks seems to have a different paradigm vis-a-vis building multiple parts in one thing vs building things separately and assembling them.

If it helps, I'm looking to use this to do mostly woodwork and maybe some other related fabrication (3D printing), not planning to model and build huge complex assemblies or anything to be cast or forged or whatever else.

I saw some good-looking tutorials on Skillshare and on Udemy but a recommendation would be great, especially if there's a free video series somewhere online.

NewFatMike posted:

The SOLIDWORKS Tutorials are surprisingly good and cover a shitload of stuff:

:v:

Also you can absolutely do Top-down assembly designwork in Solidworks.

That's one of the tutorials built-in.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

:v:

Also you can absolutely do Top-down assembly designwork in Solidworks.

That's one of the tutorials built-in.

Aha, maybe that’s the term I didn’t know. Thank you!

I did start going through those tutorials and I agree they’re good. Maybe I just need to go through more of them.

Video recommendations would still be appreciated though, I usually learn a lot better seeing them click the right buttons and such.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The best video tutorials I'm aware of are behind a paywall on LinkedIn Learning by Gabriel Corbett (except for this hilarious outdated copy of the course on Amazon, but then again, I don't think a whole lot has changed as for as methodology in Solidworks, just a few additional commands here and there (and stability fixes).

The dude really made the connection between 3d modelling and a Manufacturing environment approach for me waaaay back in the day when I first started learning how to 3d model in Solidworks.

I'm sure NewFatMike may have some recommendations as well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Besides training classes and manuals (scans of which I'm sure can be found somewhere), the training on my.solideorks.com is the best I can think of right now. You get varying levels of access depending on how you got SOLIDWORKS, or if you just pay for that site.

Joko Engineering Help does a lot of videos on different projects in various CAD systems, might be worth following along on a few on YouTube!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
As far as textbooks/exercises go, I’m a fan of what i’ve seen of Paul Tran’s books. i learn well from doing exercises and I like how he lays stuff out, the progression feels natural and concepts build on one another nicely. I haven’t done a ton of the default SW tutorials but Tran’s stuff feels at least a little better, may or may not be worth spending money to you. Currently hoping I can wrangle myself a copy of his 2020 moldmaking book, i’ve learned a lot of bad habits by trial-and-error-determining the intended workflow there.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hey Commodore, this info came through the VAR channels yesterday,

Dassault Systemes posted:

7. Are my files or data restricted at all?

Files and data created with your Maker account are digitally watermarked and can only be opened up in another Maker platform. You cannot open up files created with your Maker account within a commercial or academic platform. This digital watermark is added to native 3D file formats, such as .3dxml, .sldprt, .sldasm, and .slddrw. Neutral 3D file formats, such as .stp or .iges can be opened on any platform.

https://discover.solidworks.com/mak...al&utm_term=VAR

VERY un chill.

Money is tight for a bit, but I'll pick up a license at one time or another probably to help folks out in native.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Hey Commodore, this info came through the VAR channels yesterday,

https://discover.solidworks.com/mak...al&utm_term=VAR

VERY un chill.

Money is tight for a bit, but I'll pick up a license at one time or another probably to help folks out in native.

That's bullshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SolidWorks has always been super un-chill about licensing and training. They charge $100 for a one-year student license that you still aren't allowed to use for any commercial purposes, for gently caress's sake. You do one or the other: charge the student money but a smaller amount than the commercial version and let them use it for whatever they need, or put restrictions on the software but just give it away for free. Not both. gently caress

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Why do this maker thing when you can just get the eaa discount?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The online design programs are really compelling for non Windows users, but lacking CAM and not being able to share native part files really sucks.

Edit:

I will say this: the solidworks non-commercial landscape is a complete nightmare. There are a number of competing products and programs that do not coalesce into a single unified effort. There are solidworks for makerspaces programs as well as educational programs for different entities based on what their educational and community goals are.

I think the 3DEXPERIENCE SolidWorks for
makers program was an attempt to unify the non-commercial landscape for regular users because of rapidly deteriorating opinions on Autodesk/Fusion 360 and it doesn't look like OnShape really ever got off the ground in the way that it needs to compete with Fusion.

On the back end and management side of things, programs like SolidWorks for makerspaces or the EAA program are very difficult to manage on the OEM side. They did not go into that with a very good management program, and using a named user license like 3DEXPERIENCE does makes a lot more sense than the way they were doing, which I can't really talk a lot about. I don't think they can really retrofit their older programs with it.

It feels like a lot of committee people put this together, but hopefully they'll walk this back because it's comically dumb. I can see how things make sense the way it's been cut up for an enterprise product, but that's not what this is - it's for hobbyists.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 8, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If they gently caress this up, I can see an opening for Fusion. I expected Dassault to strike a major blow, but this is weak.

I paid for SOLIDWORKS once, I doubt I'll do it again unless there's a seriously compelling reason. There were barely any improvements over 2015 that I had used for years.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

sharkytm posted:

If they gently caress this up, I can see an opening for Fusion. I expected Dassault to strike a major blow, but this is weak.

I paid for SOLIDWORKS once, I doubt I'll do it again unless there's a seriously compelling reason. There were barely any improvements over 2015 that I had used for years.
What will you use as an alternative to SW? I don't love it perse, but don't see a worthy competitor. Fusion's lSAAS approach is unpalatable.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Going back to actual carving chat, checkout mud box as it’s how character modelling is done. So 3D cad is a solid modeller, there are other types of program which help with just the surface, which can be turned into an stl for printing. Happy scaling!

Check out cg society.org which is an incredible place for your run of the mill modelling plebs. From Industrial light and magic, Pixar and more.

I should have lead with that.

spiky butthole fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 8, 2021

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I had no real content to add, except that I started a new job, we use Inventor, and I hate it.

Mostly just it's extremely clunky UI for views/view directions and coordinate systems.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

simmyb posted:

I had no real content to add, except that I started a new job, we use Inventor, and I hate it.

Mostly just it's extremely clunky UI for views/view directions and coordinate systems.

I've somehow gotten stuck in a career using Inventor, and yeah, it's the basic software for companies who were unwilling to shell out money for better software 20 years ago, and are now stuck with it. At least with the 2020 version, they updated the renderer so it looks more like SolidWorks.

I miss Unigraphics.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There is a Solid Edge Community Edition that is free, but I have never used the software.

I'm hoping this is a bungled launch and it gets better, because if you're using Windows, it's worse than the EAA edition by a longshot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dominoes posted:

What will you use as an alternative to SW? I don't love it perse, but don't see a worthy competitor. Fusion's lSAAS approach is unpalatable.

... SOLIDWORKS. Because gently caress me. But I'm hoping that it won't be a race to the bottom been fusion and SW.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

amen brother

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yeah, I'll still use the maker's thing because in many respects I still like it more than fusion. Mostly navigation / familiarity from years of use and their drug dealer esque college training deals making it my first parametric cam software. I still hope that they pull their heads out of their keisters and change the offering, BUT I'll see how long that lasts once I am actually machining because lack of inbuilt cam will make part changes a huge pain.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Just got an email saying Solidworks is killing the EAA discount program, and switching to a yearly subscription discount for Solidworks for Makers. It looks like you can finish out a license if you already have one, but no new sign-ups for the Solidworks Education package they offered previously.

So I recommend you all visit the EAA museum before you let your subscription lapse. It’s small for an aviation museum, but it has a number of unique historical planes.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 18, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just read that too and I'm pretty disappointed. I still have access to SW through work but it was really nice having a personal copy so I could keep things separate.

Does anyone know what their replacement offering costs? Dassaut's product pages are so bad it's hard to tell what their actually selling.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Last I heard the Maker's whatever was $99/year.

Assholes.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Why do this maker thing when you can just get the eaa discount?

Ugh why did I jinx it. Isn't the maker whatever program...lovely?

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I just installed Solidworks as an EAA member. Is it going to stop working after a year or what? I would be fine just never updating if that is possible.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

If you're a student or current/former mil, there's a $20/year program.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 18, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I just installed Solidworks as an EAA member. Is it going to stop working after a year or what? I would be fine just never updating if that is possible.

Announcement said that current licenses will continue to work until they expire (probably a year?).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

If it's like other student versions, it stops working exactly 365 days after the license is activated. The only way to get a version you never have to update is to pay out the nose for a perpetual license for a specific version of Solidworks or :filez:

Honestly, Dassault is going to alienate a lot of makers/hobbyists if they don't get their poo poo together with the Maker version on 3DExperience/whatever.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

drat. Thanks for the info. I guess I will switch to the veterans deal a year from now assuming they don’t kill it too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Would y'all be comfortable with me anonymizing some of your feedback for quotes? It'll be super helpful for passing info upstream.

This makes me really nervous about my makerspace, and I'm lucky enough to work for a VAR and hoot and holler.

Until they get CAM in there, I'll be pretty pissed. It's moving really fast from "rough launch" to "shoddy".

This piling on top of them taking away online licensing for SW in February (my guess is they're gonna upsell you to the platform to upgrade from machine activation) is really bananas. Someone's baby is 3DX and everything about it feels like that person wants to retire as soon as possible by launching it instead of when it's ready.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Honestly, Dassault is going to alienate a lot of makers/hobbyists if they don't get their poo poo together with the Maker version on 3DExperience/whatever.

specifically i think it's gonna make almost all the hobbyists and shoestring-budget sole proprietorships and makerspace-tier community institutions give up entirely on trying to pay for the software in some capacity. right now they're actually very effective in that regard, imo, given how much the software normally costs + how nobody's gonna go to bat for poor ol dassault systeme as if they were an indie game dev. they make it very uncomfortable to use pirated software for anything professional, make it downright impossible wherever they can, as with certification testing- and then they leave a reasonably-priced back-door to legitimacy available to non-commercial users. without getting into specifics or incriminating myself, i'm not exactly a fan of paying for software, i avoid it wherever possible (i'm a big fan of demos and shareware, you see)... and they somehow got me to be happy about shelling out 40 smackeroos when i found out the EAA route to a student copy wasn't restricted to Americans like I had thought.

but this dumbass arbitrary second-class-citizen thing they're doing, where they don't even let you share working files with other goddamn Solidworks users unless they're also a casual shitmuncher? when people tell me to go gently caress myself as clearly and unambiguously as this, well, they're probably gonna get a gently caress You right back

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 19, 2021

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
also: the 3dx environment itself s so obviously made by a committee of professional-managerial-class mutants who dont actually use the software and certainly dont care if it meets people's needs. every time i interact with it i'm just laughing befuddled , like, who is this for? who will ever click any of these buttons? why is half the screen dedicated to this?

you know who really loves it when something practical and functional is ruined because some C-suiter wants to be able to say they Successfully Brought Disruptivation to Solidworks before they jump ship for the board of some other company? engineers

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 19, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

Would y'all be comfortable with me anonymizing some of your feedback for quotes? It'll be super helpful for passing info upstream.

Of course, for all the good it will do.

As noted, 3DExperience feels like somebody's weirdo baby project that is poorly thought out and poorly executed.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

also: the 3dx environment itself s so obviously made by a committee of professional-managerial-class mutants who dont actually use the software and certainly dont care if it meets people's needs. every time i interact with it i'm just laughing befuddled , like, who is this for? who will ever click any of these buttons? why is half the screen dedicated to this?

you know who really loves it when something practical and functional is ruined because some C-suiter wants to be able to say they Successfully Brought Disruptivation to Solidworks before they jump ship for the board of some other company? engineers

Yeah. Literally every single button on that page is loving useless to me as an end user, on both tabs. I was expecting some kind of improved version of the integrated model-search system that you used to be able to search (if you were using your own license tied to your own login, this never worked if you were using corporate licenses because corporate would never share that login info with you), not advertisements for other services that are even more out-of-pocket.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

This piling on top of them taking away online licensing for SW in February (my guess is they're gonna upsell you to the platform to upgrade from machine activation) is really bananas.

Wait... What? I've got a single roaming license that I swap back and forth between my shop laptop and office desktop. That was the whole selling point of buying a legit copy of SOLIDWORKS. I'm going to be mega pissed if I lose that ability on a $5500 license. I'll go right back to loving pirating it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

This piling on top of them taking away online licensing for SW in February (my guess is they're gonna upsell you to the platform to upgrade from machine activation) is really bananas.

If they do this, they're going to lose a lot of small businesses as well because "gently caress if I'm going to use an internet-only service for Engineering work, what if the ISP goes down while we still have work to do?" is a thing, especially in Boomer country.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah they literally said online licensing was going away and didn't say if it was getting replaced with anything. They emailed customers and VARs, and of course they didn't give us any additional information.

Best case scenario they have seriously bungled announcing that they're swapping the SOLIDWORKS ID login with a 3DX login, worst case they're trying for an upsell.

I haven't heard anyone in the VAR space being pleased about any aspect of it, FWIW, so at least the folks you actually have to interact with are going to try and help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah they literally said online licensing was going away and didn't say if it was getting replaced with anything. They emailed customers and VARs, and of course they didn't give us any additional information.

Best case scenario they have seriously bungled announcing that they're swapping the SOLIDWORKS ID login with a 3DX login, worst case they're trying for an upsell.

I haven't heard anyone in the VAR space being pleased about any aspect of it, FWIW, so at least the folks you actually have to interact with are going to try and help.

My VAR doesn't care. They're telling me it's an upgrade, and guilting me for not paying for maintenance for another year.