Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

That's extra strange, because there's a southern chain called Krystal that's basically just White Castle (source: friend who has eaten at both several times...I've never seen a White Castle). I would assume Florida has 'em too?

Krystals either went bankrupt or was close to it, so they’re probably more hit or miss in terms of having locations.

Having lived in Tennessee in 2008-2011, i personally thought Krystals was far superior to White Castle (which I also liked enough, but it could have done way downhill in the last 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I'm surprised everyone says Cracker Barrel has good pancakes because I went there exactly once and ordered pancakes, they were burnt as hell on the outside and somehow raw batter on the inside. To this day I have no idea how you can do both, and I've got a lot of experience making bad pancakes at home. Talk poo poo all you want about Denny's but their pancakes were always solid. My friend in Japan says the Denny's there is "too fancy" but I think it's because she went there for the drunk post-concert experience she was used to here.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Stairs posted:

I'm gonna get a "just post" but I want you guys to know just how lovely Michaels can be with wasteage. Working on a doc I'm gonna cut and paste in a bit.
Michaels is GREAT about respecting LGBTQIA+ and I'm proud to be there in that regard but holy poo poo they are hard-loving-core on refusing to share. The waste alone makes me want them to face a Reconning.

does Micheals carry gundam models? I know Hobby Lobby does, but I'd rather not give money to terrorist organizations like ISIS or Christian Fundamentalists.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Read After Burning posted:

Here's a semi-interesting map....blue are White Castle, red are Krystal, and purple has both.

Hm, where'd you get this? I live in VA and have relatives in NC and have never heard of Krystal. Google maps doesn't show any locations in either state.

I've had the frozen White Castles before, they weren't half bad. Never had the real thing, though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I live in VA as well, and had never heard of Krystal before. Looking at their website, they have zero locations in either Virginia or North Carolina.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Huh, weird. Either the map is just straight up wrong, or it's outdated? Someone mentioned Krystal going through financial struggles, so maybe they have closed a bunch of locations? Google tells me there used to be one in Bristol, VA.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Bristol is the town right on the border to Tennessee, right? I think there was a location there about a decade ago. I dunno about now tho. I think if Krystal or White Castle opened a location in any of the actual population centers of VA, they would make bank.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There used to be a Krystal near the airport in Charlotte, NC…but I have no idea if it’s still there. It’s the only one I can recall ever being here though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ofecks posted:

Hm, where'd you get this? I live in VA and have relatives in NC and have never heard of Krystal. Google maps doesn't show any locations in either state.

there was one just into SC from NC, but it's been gone for... jeez, 10 years? I think they must have overexpanded and collapsed.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Trabant posted:

The fruit cup is also slathered in bacon.

This is false. It's slathered in lard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
White Castle is barely holding on in Arizona. I don’t think it’s gonna make it. They have tried to expand but the locations never open and they joined several of those restaurant collectives near the ASU university to tap intro students using delivery apps (because the main location is in Scottsdale which is not close) with those all failing. They just joined another similar concept that opened at the end of June. Hey guess when classes end for most students in Arizona? Mid-May.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rick posted:

White Castle is barely holding on in Arizona. I don’t think it’s gonna make it. They have tried to expand but the locations never open and they joined several of those restaurant collectives near the ASU university to tap intro students using delivery apps (because the main location is in Scottsdale which is not close) with those all failing. They just joined another similar concept that opened at the end of June. Hey guess when classes end for most students in Arizona? Mid-May.

It's a soft lunch to prepare for September

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Volmarias posted:

I guess that makes sense.

The thing that has fallen off for me the most in pandemic times is that I usually ended up doing something in the Phoenix area every other month or so, but I had been meaning to go to White Castle just because it does not seem like something that should be missing from my slate but I think I've been in the area once since December 2019.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

Well sure, that’s because of the steaming I assume.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I ate White Castle a lot when I was younger, it's great drunk or stoned food when you just want a shitload of food

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Hahahahahaha oh man Krystal can gently caress right off. It's like white castle if you took everything delicious away from it.

Also I was raised on White Castle so I'm a bit biased.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Krystal is the walmart version of White Castle

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't like onions and last I saw a tweet that said you could get White Castle with no onions from White Castle, so since I was on vacation I thought about driving up to get some since the Olympic event I wanted to see didn't start until 5:00 AM but I read many replies to that tweet that said that they wouldn't actually give you the White Castle burgers without onions so I stayed home and watched some Taekwondo until basketball instead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Daym Drops recently reviewed his local IHOP and came away pretty unimpressed with the food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrs4PjCxhWA

It's a pancake restaurant and didn't even get the pancakes right. How do you gently caress that up?

I don't know, I usually get some sort of waffle or omlette when I go, but I don't go very often, just once every few years when I get a wild hair up my rear end, and every time it gives me the loving runs. You'd think I would know better by now

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Bristol is the town right on the border to Tennessee, right? I think there was a location there about a decade ago. I dunno about now tho. I think if Krystal or White Castle opened a location in any of the actual population centers of VA, they would make bank.

Yeah there's also a Bristol, VA. The city straddles the border. It seems plausible that there was a Krystal at one point on the VA side, giving my state its color on that map.

And yes, the main population crescent of VA (Northern, Fredericksburg, Richmond, Hampton Roads) has a lot of stoners who would love White Castle. I was once one myself. My favorite fast food burger place is still Hardee's though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rick posted:

I don't like onions and last I saw a tweet that said you could get White Castle with no onions from White Castle, so since I was on vacation I thought about driving up to get some since the Olympic event I wanted to see didn't start until 5:00 AM but I read many replies to that tweet that said that they wouldn't actually give you the White Castle burgers without onions so I stayed home and watched some Taekwondo until basketball instead.

The meat is cooked directly on top of the onions. They'll scrape them off for you but expect a couple onion shards to make it into the burger. If you just don't like onions its fine, if you're allergic I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Daym Drops recently reviewed his local IHOP and came away pretty unimpressed with the food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrs4PjCxhWA

It's a pancake restaurant and didn't even get the pancakes right. How do you gently caress that up?

Forgot to mention, but I absolutely love the thumbnail. The thousand yard pancake stare.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Volmarias posted:

Forgot to mention, but I absolutely love the thumbnail. The thousand yard pancake stare.

His expressions are one of the best parts of the videos. You can usually tell right away whether Daym is or isn't going to like a particular dish.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The meat is cooked directly on top of the onions. They'll scrape them off for you but expect a couple onion shards to make it into the burger. If you just don't like onions its fine, if you're allergic I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

I have trained myself tolerate them (I do actually get sick though so I still avoid, I have never had an allergy test, but I don’t seem to die from them) so I suppose that is doable. Not worth a two hour drive though with no other purpose, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've never been in the back of an IHOP kitchen but literally every pancake they make taste like it came out of a microwave, no crust or edge like it never touched the surface of a hot pan. There must be some pancake making machine they load to cook 20+ at a time.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I unfortunately worked at an ihop for almost a year, and they used a griddle the same as anywhere else

It's a combination of their batter and it being an incredibly lovely place to work

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'm like 8 pages too late for Quizno's chat, but a while back I did a deep dive about their implosion.

Aside from taking the usual big bite with royalties, Quizno's forced you to buy all your ingredients from a subsidiary that of course charged a huge markup. So even if you could get a better, fresher, product locally, you were strictly forbidden because corporate claimed their policy ensured consistent quality. I've also heard Coldstone Creamery has the same problem - even if your location is busy you dont really make any money. Your ice cream and all your equipment had to come from a corporate owned monopoly. One franchisee said they had a location in Florida that was the second busiest nationwide (only behind Times Square), and they still were not making a profit.

I even remember some allegations about Quizno's that when the money started to run out, corporate started flat out ripping off people interested in opening a franchise. Many areas were already over-saturated with stores, so they would take their $80,000 franchise fee (or whatever it was), and sign you to a contract that said you had so many months to open your store. But corporate also had to approve your location - so they would then use a bunch of stall tactics and red tape and never approve the store location or building layout or whatever. This would keep the unhappy existing franchise owners off their back since they didnt want more stores cannibalizing their already weak sales, and after a certain amount of time, your franchise fee was forfeit in the contract.

To my great surprise, the closest Steak N Shake to me has re-opened after being shuttered for at least like 2-3 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I grew up on Krystal and was so excited to take my kids there and of course there was hair in their food and that ended any future family trips to Krystal.

It's good in the same way Dairy Queens are good. Which is to say only good because your limited palate at age 12 thought this poo poo was the bomb.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Yeah there's also a Bristol, VA. The city straddles the border. It seems plausible that there was a Krystal at one point on the VA side, giving my state its color on that map.

And yes, the main population crescent of VA (Northern, Fredericksburg, Richmond, Hampton Roads) has a lot of stoners who would love White Castle. I was once one myself. My favorite fast food burger place is still Hardee's though.

IIRC, there was one in Salem, VA. It opened in the mid to late '90s and closed by 2010???

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I once ordered french toast at Denny's, and like fifteen minutes later the waitress came out to tell me the cook didn't know how to make french toast and asked me if I wanted to order something else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hawowanlawow posted:

I once ordered french toast at Denny's, and like fifteen minutes later the waitress came out to tell me the cook didn't know how to make french toast and asked me if I wanted to order something else
Jesus Christ

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

I think they only do french toast at Déni's

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

Should have gone back and taught the cook how to make french toast.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Then you would have to work at Denny's and that's no fun.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

I had a coworker, who was a massive fuckup, that loved to tell a dubious story about going out to eat and teaching the chef at a steakhouse how to cook steak correctly and being offered his job on the spot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's good in the same way Dairy Queens are good. Which is to say only good because your limited palate at age 12 thought this poo poo was the bomb.
hey now I can confirm that if you want some mediocre ice cream and chicken tenders you can still get them at DQ and it is the exact way it used to be

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hey now I can confirm that if you want some mediocre ice cream and chicken tenders you can still get them at DQ and it is the exact way it used to be

Back when I was 12 there were a lot fewer places to get ice cream that had a drive-thru. After you had exhausted all your energy convincing your parents to even consider ice cream you had to settle for the options that inconvenienced them the absolute least. And what the heck is up with that? My kid suggests ice cream and I'm like, "poo poo yeah". Did dairy interfere with the constant haze of nicotine and Busch that always surrounded my folks?

Also I think it's a zoning requirement that all DQ's have to be in the worst possible locations. We have a new one going up in a vacant lot surrounded by woods that you know will be a plethora of shootings and robberies with the suspects fleeing into the trees every Saturday night. Also there's no way to make a left hand turn so you have to make an U'y.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Back when I was 12 there were a lot fewer places to get ice cream that had a drive-thru. After you had exhausted all your energy convincing your parents to even consider ice cream you had to settle for the options that inconvenienced them the absolute least. And what the heck is up with that? My kid suggests ice cream and I'm like, "poo poo yeah". Did dairy interfere with the constant haze of nicotine and Busch that always surrounded my folks?

Also I think it's a zoning requirement that all DQ's have to be in the worst possible locations. We have a new one going up in a vacant lot surrounded by woods that you know will be a plethora of shootings and robberies with the suspects fleeing into the trees every Saturday night. Also there's no way to make a left hand turn so you have to make an U'y.

The Dairy Queen I had growing up wasn't in a terrible location, it was actually the closest fast food to my house at the time, being the only place within several miles. I think the bigger thing is that our parents didn't feel like packing us all into the car for 15 minutes and spending money on ice cream when there's some boring rear end vanilla in the freezer already.

Blizzards man, those were the poo poo when you could convince the parents to do it though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The nearby city has a Popeyes and Coldstone right next to each other. They share a building. Instead of mediocre chicken and ice cream, both are goddamn amazing. Popeyes was always trying to upsell me on a dessert. Good luck with that, guys. I feel a little bad for the franchisee who agreed to that arrangement.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the bigger thing is that our parents didn't feel like packing us all into the car for 15 minutes and spending money on ice cream when there's some boring rear end vanilla in the freezer already.

It's the "we have <thing> at home" meme. My parents never took us out for just ice cream for that exact reason. One of the many ways they saved money and kept the debt low and manageable, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

is there such a thing as good french toast at ANY restaurant, chain or not?