Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.headstamppublishing.com/chinese-pistols

I think I paid like 120 bucks for this book lol, but in love this guy and his YouTube channel and the book looks sweet. It's Chinese made guns from the hong Kong British era. I needed a signed copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wendigee posted:

https://www.headstamppublishing.com/chinese-pistols

I think I paid like 120 bucks for this book lol, but in love this guy and his YouTube channel and the book looks sweet. It's Chinese made guns from the hong Kong British era. I needed a signed copy.

I also backed the signed Kickstarter edition. Ian is awesome.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I still haven't decided if I love or hate Harbor Freight. Hate the poo poo quality but love those low, low prices! Also love how I always buy the dumbest poo poo there. Went in today for some cheap Allen wrenches. Got those wrenches as well as a flag and a fuckin Rambo knife! All made in china!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I still haven't decided if I love or hate Harbor Freight. Hate the poo poo quality but love those low, low prices! Also love how I always buy the dumbest poo poo there. Went in today for some cheap Allen wrenches. Got those wrenches as well as a flag and a fuckin Rambo knife! All made in china!

The question now is how many tissues can you cut before that knife goes dull. Harbor freight is really a gamble, I got a rotary buffer a couple years back, it's not perfect but for the price it is holding up nicely. They are great for disposable protective wear though, although their coveralls were definitely a few sizes smaller than indicated.

I Preordered the LEGO Pickup Truck set.

Also grabbed the Bro Thor's New Asgard set

Added in a Rocket Racoon minifig I had lying around to make the scene more accurate.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

H110Hawk posted:

I hope you get a bit coin talk with it. The guy Amazon sent to assemble mine said he was doing it to buy bitcoins because his wife wouldn't let him spend his day job money on it. Same grill.

Update on the new grill:

Assembly was supposed to be today but amazon rescheduled this morning because the dude called off, so it won't get assembled til next friday. I wasn't too pleased so I contacted customer service and since the assembly was already free, they applied a refund to the grill itself. 50 god drat percent. I got $275 back for the inconvenience. :hellyeah:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Update on the new grill:

Assembly was supposed to be today but amazon rescheduled this morning because the dude called off, so it won't get assembled til next friday. I wasn't too pleased so I contacted customer service and since the assembly was already free, they applied a refund to the grill itself. 50 god drat percent. I got $275 back for the inconvenience. :hellyeah:

:hellyeah: Dang, why couldn't the bitcoin warrior have missed my appointment.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sometimes Amazon support could not be cooler. When I moved I ordered a bed frame, headboard and 12” queen Zinus mattress.

The headboard came with a huge gash on it and re-boxing it was a pain at the time so Amazon sent me another headboard and refunded the entire order.

I got like 800 of apartment bed for free.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Rolo posted:

Sometimes Amazon support could not be cooler. When I moved I ordered a bed frame, headboard and 12” queen Zinus mattress.

The headboard came with a huge gash on it and re-boxing it was a pain at the time so Amazon sent me another headboard and refunded the entire order.

I got like 800 of apartment bed for free.

I’ve had that sort of thing happen before and I can’t decide if they’re just that nice, or just that incompetent.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m hoping it’s an even mix of nice and “gently caress Amazon here’s a refund.”

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

-CHA posted:

The question now is how many tissues can you cut before that knife goes dull. Harbor freight is really a gamble, I got a rotary buffer a couple years back, it's not perfect but for the price it is holding up nicely. They are great for disposable protective wear though, although their coveralls were definitely a few sizes smaller than indicated.

It's definitely not all junk. I got an electric impact gun there years ago that I only expected to last for one job. About a thousand lugnuts later and it's still clacking along just fine. That knife is a total piece of poo poo though. Impulse/nostalgia buy for sure. Those "survival" knives were everywhere when I was a kid.

It was worth the :10bux: for inspiring me to do this goofy poo poo...

I'm scared Poncho.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Bought some shoes for my partner

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really like em :)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I bought a bunch of rocks!

Goal is to start a dinosaur themed amusement park

Also rented a trailer for the night:

Wanted to try out an RV before diving heading into that particular bottomless pit of financial despair

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
moab in august is dumb as poo poo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A friend of mine turned me onto a company that makes really good scented candles and long story short I have been spending entirely too much money on scented candles.

My family is fine, by the way.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Blue balled on the name of the candle company. For shame.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

djfooboo posted:

You've heard of vagina candles? Well you just gave me a great idea....

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

djfooboo posted:

I didn't want to come off like I was shilling, but the company is called Goose Creek.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
At least now I’m going to be getting candles FOR MEN ads instead of these stupid loving soap FOR MEN ads.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

nostrata posted:

I bought a fancy ear cleaner with a camera so I can see inside my head. I'll spare everyone the pics but it works pretty well after dealing with getting it connected to my phone.

Well I am intrigued. My ears are always gross. Is this thing dope?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm scared Poncho.

We're all gonna die, major

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Well I am intrigued. My ears are always gross. Is this thing dope?

Its pretty cool. There was an initial trouble getting it connected, it uses WiFi to connect to your phone but I had to have mobile data switched off to make it work. After that it worked fine, the picture quality is pretty good and the scoops do a good job. The image auto rotates to always be facing up regardless of how you move the scoop. My ears are a litte oily and hairy but otherwise fairly clean. It also is nice to scratch an itch deep in the ear safely. It also works on noses, those are the only orifices I've been brave enough to test.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

moab in august is dumb as poo poo

?

If you're referring to the weather, it was a breezy 73 degrees yesterday morning while we drove through Arches with the windows down. Not to mention that there were no lines or difficulty parking at any of the stops and trails. I'd tell you how it was that evening, but we went up to Mesa Verde, which was in the low 80s and felt equally nice at the higher elevation.

For purchases content, bought an America the Beautiful annual pass for the parks and a buncha magnets :D

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I got one of these thingies.

It's an Arcade 1Up 3/4-sized cab. A few months ago a local salvage/deep discount place had brand new Atari ones (Missile Command, Asteroids, a couple of other games) sets for sale for like $130. Long story short I missed out but I'd been wanting one since. Found a good deal from a seller on Facebook and picked it up this morning. I think it's neat. Has a bunch of Pac-man games on it as well as some random others like Dig Dug and Galaga. $300 bucks, and used, but very little wear and new ones are like $450 or more anyhow. Theoretically these can be modded to play more games but I'm probably too lazy to do that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A kerosene mantle lantern, UK made of brand called Tilley, gonna restore it and keep it for power outages, which do happen where I live (rural finland) several times a year.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

His Divine Shadow posted:

A kerosene mantle lantern, UK made of brand called Tilley, gonna restore it and keep it for power outages, which do happen where I live (rural finland) several times a year.

Does this have anything to do with Technology Connections’s recent videos?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Warbird posted:

If he'd watched the latest one he'd just have a bag of infolithium batteries

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Warbird posted:

Yes :) But I also love old tech, but I have to have the caveat that it has to have some form of practical use for me, or I won't bother.

And we used ot have these mantle lamps in the army when I was conscripted, I was quite impressed with them then, first time I saw one.

Megabound posted:

If he'd watched the latest one he'd just have a bag of infolithium batteries

He did not convince me on that though, not for home use anyway, perhaps if you are an avid camper. I would prefer the older style for the "feels". I enjoy old tech and restoring old stuff so I can now combine utility with enjoyment.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A new ATV and winch for said ATV

2021 Suzuki King Quad 400 and KFI 3000lb winch

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Fresh sauce for my transmission. Possibly fighting a failing slave cylinder but this is the less expensive step so we're gonna try a clutch bleed and fluid replacement first. I really hope this is the issue, I can't afford that work right now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Altama Maritime Assault Boot Low-Cut in Woodland. Yes, at this point it's a sneaker, which I'll be using for general everyday use. The spot on the side near the toe is for water drainage, so it makes the shoe flex in a way that's different from my other footwear. Toe cap is rubberized and theoretically these mate well with swim flippers.

Funny story: apparently in the early days Navy SEALs would use black Converse All-Stars when doing maritime operations as the shoe drained well & fit easily into their flippers.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I spent a week fixing up an older sewing machine from the 70s and getting it running…and then a gear split in half while I was trying to wind the bobbin. So I picked up a Singer 4411 in its place, and it’s a dream! For a beginner like me, it’s great.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

I spent a week fixing up an older sewing machine from the 70s and getting it running…and then a gear split in half while I was trying to wind the bobbin. So I picked up a Singer 4411 in its place, and it’s a dream! For a beginner like me, it’s great.

I have the same one. It's neat.

If it's too fast, there's a variable resistor in the foot-pedal where you can adjust the speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgxf2OXfxro&t=3s

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Fancy drone goggles. I'm not in love with the wrap the previous owner put on, but I don't hate it either

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I’ve had that sort of thing happen before and I can’t decide if they’re just that nice, or just that incompetent.

I've always assumed that they know they can't resell whatever it is you're returning and shipping it back costs money + disposing of the item isn't worth the time. They definitely have a factored in cost of $XX per year on stuff like this.

One time I ordered a bedframe and they sent me two. I let them know and they told me to just keep or donate the second one, they didn't want it back. It was like a $200 frame.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
There is something in US law that states if someone ships a product to you that you didn't order, legally it becomes yours and you don't have to pay for it or return it. I remember learning about it in 8th-grade civics and we had to do a project to explain how Columbia House CD club was legal (because you agree up-front to receive and pay for regular deliveries).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wheatpuppy posted:

There is something in US law that states if someone ships a product to you that you didn't order, legally it becomes yours and you don't have to pay for it or return it. I remember learning about it in 8th-grade civics and we had to do a project to explain how Columbia House CD club was legal (because you agree up-front to receive and pay for regular deliveries).

I'm pretty sure I still need to buy 3 CDs to fulfill my obligation to them

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm pretty sure I still need to buy 3 CDs to fulfill my obligation to them

I got out of my commitment by refusing delivery on the CDs that I never cancelled the automatic order. They just stopped sending me anything.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Pondex posted:

I have the same one. It's neat.

If it's too fast, there's a variable resistor in the foot-pedal where you can adjust the speed.

Whoa I have the same one and I didn't know that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

Fun fact: If there's a gold fringe on the CDs, you never have to pay under admiralty law.