Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was under the impression this would be pretty similar to Taekwondo but there's definitely more activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm watching a recap on the USA network. KSA kicked the IRI guy in the head and knocked him out. He wasn't moving for quite a while and they took him off on a stretcher.

KSA got disqualified for kicking too hard and IRI got the gold medal.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HQDP-tkxo

This sport is going places. European football fake injuries, eat your heart out. There's a new game in town!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm watching a recap on the USA network. KSA kicked the IRI guy in the head and knocked him out. He wasn't moving for quite a while and they took him off on a stretcher.

KSA got disqualified for kicking too hard and IRI got the gold medal.

lol absolute garbage sport

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I keep reflecting on how deeply embarrassing that poo poo is, especially since Olympic Boxing is right next door letting dudes drop bombs like a real combat sport.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Olympic karate is not a combat sport, it's a close-range somewhat-contact artistic display, which is why it is being swapped out in 2024 for breakdancing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This sucks. I keep comparing it to TKD which is just leagues apart. But it's still not up to where it should be like judo or boxing where you just give it your all. The rules are holding them back.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Would olympic sponsors be okay with a full-force kick to a competitor's unprotected head?

(I'm under no illusion that a TKD competitor could not already do this, but for the fact that he has literally no reason to)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Would olympic sponsors be okay with a full-force kick to a competitor's unprotected head?

If not they are punk rear end bitches

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm far from an expert and it's been decades since I've studied karate, but in what I've seen of the olympic kumite, I would have been taken to the side by my sensei and grilled for five straight minutes if I wasn't putting my weight behind the shots and was doing showoffy kiais where I scream for five seconds, most of those seconds being after I've already broken contact with my opponent and turned back towards my mark.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Yep, we were always told to actually hit the person as lightest touch wouldn't be counted. This was 20ish years ago though so I'm totally out of the loop with things these days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the thing about combat sports in general is that there's not always a lot of rhyme or reason as to why someone can get knocked out cold and sometimes people go out to things that aren't intended to knock you out.
you need to measure intent and that the KSA guy was obviously not aiming to knock the Iranian out and him doing so is an unfortunate reality of the sport. KSA deserved the gold.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah, watching the replay on the KSA kick it really looks like an accident more than anything. His opponent ducks his head during his punch and the KSA guy kicks at the same time. If the IRI guy doesn't attack at the same time it's probably a nothing play, in reality it was just poor timing.

Kind of makes for a lame combat sport when throwing a weak punch while leaving your head wide open is considered good technique. I would imagine in something that's supposed to simulate actual combat, you should be protecting your head at all times and not giving your opponent a free shot at all times.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I've never seen karate before, but I watched the 55kg gold medal match in women's kumite and the 67kg gold medal match in men's kumite, then the women's kata. My expectations involved comparing it to floor gymnastics, and I liked watching it. In the kata, you could definitely see a difference in the performances of the U.S., Japan, and Spain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
lol, losing a gold medal for knocking a guy out is a tragedy and ensures no one will ever take this event seriously. What’s to stop a person from taking a dive to just automatically claim victory whenever they’re in trouble?