Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I know Andromeda has its issues. But at the same time, there was a lot of that game that I really, really enjoyed. Once in a while I play it and get sad about the obvious sequel/dlc bait.

It had a few noticeable flaws (I hate most of the side missions that jump from planet to planet), but I thoroughly enjoyed Andromeda, though I admittedly played it after the first couple patches had come down. I knew I'd like it as soon as I met a turian scientist who asked me if I wanted to hit rocks for science. Side mission fetch quest aside, that's exactly the kind of thing people like me that study lithics would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember almost nothing about Andromeda except I remember liking the intro cinematic, and that there is some sort of spaceweed growing everywhere (the bad kind of spaceweed)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Biplane posted:

I remember almost nothing about Andromeda except I remember liking the intro cinematic, and that there is some sort of spaceweed growing everywhere (the bad kind of spaceweed)

Honestly that is my lasting thought about it. I don't remember hating it or anything, I just barely remember anything of the characters plot or setting. It also had the pretty unenviable task of trying to deal with Mass Effect 3's nonsense ending by mostly ignoring it so they didn't have to explain why everyone was loving their couches or whatever happened in Green Colors.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Some of the characters were forgettable, but I thought the Tempest crew was very fleshed out and well done, especially crotchety krogan dad Nakmor Drack

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly that is my lasting thought about it. I don't remember hating it or anything, I just barely remember anything of the characters plot or setting. It also had the pretty unenviable task of trying to deal with Mass Effect 3's nonsense ending by mostly ignoring it so they didn't have to explain why everyone was loving their couches or whatever happened in Green Colors.

I wound up hating Andromeda because it just absolutely refused to engage with any interesting parts of its premise. And was just astoundingly stupid in so many ways.

"Should we explore the giant crashed alien ship any further? No? Okay, let's get the macguffin and go.... :nallears:

"Should we get teams in to research these active terraforming devices that are completely viable and active while we do other things? No? Just go turn on the next one? Okay... :nallears:

It also Lucy'ed the core premises of the game away from you at every opportunity to turn into a generic Mass Effect game instead of its own thing. First contact with a new alien race? Lol, no, ten minutes in and they're speaking english via the Universial Translator and have really been talking to the expedition for 18 months now.

Exploring new worlds as the first people to set upon them? Lol, no, the first wave of the expedition is literally everywhere you go, loving things up because they're too dumb to keep themselves alive without ~A Pathfinder to tell them what to do.

Even the alien designs are just lacking compared to the original games; The various species all look like they belong in their homeworld's environments with evolved traits (save for the Asari being the Sexy Elf Race, but generally-speaking). The new ones in Andromeda are just Generic Space People.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Some of the characters were forgettable, but I thought the Tempest crew was very fleshed out and well done, especially crotchety krogan dad Nakmor Drack

Nakmor Drack was one of the few bright spots in ME:Andromeda. Just an absolutely brutal and ancient Krogan Grandpa that wants to see kids grow up healthy and happy :allears:.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Games like Andromeda need more super science. If I'm exploring an alien planet that is in another galaxy, I don't want more temples or underground caverns, there's enough of that back at home. Give me enormous, 'alien' structures, show me the remains of a Dyson sphere hundreds of light years away. That planet? It's actually artificial and used to regulate the sun every millenia.

Hell, the original Mass Effect had hints of that in their planet descriptions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Vandar posted:

gently caress these assholes and their stupid fireballs so hard. :argh:

I haven't played WoW in a decade, but I can still hear this picture.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

Games like Andromeda need more super science. If I'm exploring an alien planet that is in another galaxy, I don't want more temples or underground caverns, there's enough of that back at home. Give me enormous, 'alien' structures, show me the remains of a Dyson sphere hundreds of light years away. That planet? It's actually artificial and used to regulate the sun every millenia.

One of the best little details in the trilogy is every so often you come across a planet that has this massive grazing gouge through it, with the inference that they ALL came from a single galaxy-spanning cannon shot of some kind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the best little details in the trilogy is every so often you come across a planet that has this massive grazing gouge through it, with the inference that they ALL came from a single galaxy-spanning cannon shot of some kind.

Can't you find... I want to say it was the planet that fired the shot in one of the games?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I haven't played WoW in a decade, but I can still hear this picture.

This is the last thing you hear right before you're about to be annihilated.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Andromeda is the only game I can think of where I didn’t consciously decide to quit playing, I just finished playing for the day and never started it up again.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think halo and its iterations did the high science thing pretty well, everything is huge mysterious artifacts from an elder civilization.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Andromeda is the only game I can think of where I didn’t consciously decide to quit playing, I just finished playing for the day and never started it up again.

I had a similar experience with Outer Worlds, I think.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Morpheus posted:

About that: a Dyson sphere is exactly what Meridian turns out to be, and it's used to regulate a cluster-wide terraforming network. And the monoliths and vaults fit the definition of enormous alien structures. So is it that those things didn't live up to what you were envisioning there?

Randalor posted:

Can't you find... I want to say it was the planet that fired the shot in one of the games?

Spoilers for anyone running through the games for the first time via the Legendary Edition: Cerberus locates the planet that fired the shot in ME2 and finds the weapon defunct. They use it to find the intended target, which is the derelict Reaper that the Illusive Man sends you to.

Gordon Shumway has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Aug 7, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gordon Shumway posted:

About that: a Dyson sphere is exactly what Meridian turns out to be, and it's used to regulate a cluster-wide terraforming network. And the monoliths and vaults fit the definition of enormous alien structures. So is it that those things didn't live up to what you were envisioning there?

I remember none of that.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

I remember none of that.

If you couldn't get into the game and quit before Eos, then you never would have seen it. Some of the more "alien" stuff about the Heleus Cluster was introduced a couple hours into the game. At the start, it's just the monolith on Habitat 7 (which, unlike the other Remnant structures, you don't really explore, it's just seen in a cutscene) and the Scourge (the spaceweed you remembered seeing). If they'd given you more of an opportunity to explore that stuff in the initial mission, it might have helped draw people in.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

This is how I feel about Assassin's Creed games. I play them until an unconscious "yeah I've got my money's worth" switch trips and I don't precisely decide to stop, but I also just don't choose to play it again and eventually uninstall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Every so often? I only remember that happening once for a specific planet that's easy to stumble upon in ME1, which is what allowed them to have it come up again in ME2.

I was actually a bit disappointed they added an explanation, it was better as a mystery

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Homeworld is probably laughing at them. Also Star Control. A lot of games get too caught up in their Myth Arcs to have anything that can't be explained by exactly one species of Precursors, maybe two and one of them is ancient humans.

Hell, even Metroid has fun with that, like the ancient civilisation who ultimately ended up destroying themselves with a war between science and magic (and yes, magic is canon in Metroid) despite the Chozo being demonstrably in contact with them and trying to get them to chill out and do both.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Homeworld is probably laughing at them. Also Star Control. A lot of games get too caught up in their Myth Arcs to have anything that can't be explained by exactly one species of Precursors, maybe two and one of them is ancient humans.

Hell, even Metroid has fun with that, like the ancient civilisation who ultimately ended up destroying themselves with a war between science and magic (and yes, magic is canon in Metroid) despite the Chozo being demonstrably in contact with them and trying to get them to chill out and do both.

My favourite is the Floating Steampunk World in Metroid Prime 3. Why steam-driven robots? Why not?!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well in ME1 there are planets with big structures under the atmosphere that can't be approached because the pressure is too intense for anything to make it through, and another where there's a series of structures circling the equator that no one can explain, or another with something enormormous under the mantle, that kind of thing. I think there was another planet that used to be like a pirate stronghold in low orbit until they all disappeared somehow or something?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Stellaris is great with finding all sorts of strange, interesting poo poo everywhere, all from alien civs spread out over millions of years. And if you want to quote this post to talk about how bad Stellaris is, like people love doing, wrong thread.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Stellaris is great with finding all sorts of strange, interesting poo poo everywhere, all from alien civs spread out over millions of years. And if you want to quote this post to talk about how bad Stellaris is, like people love doing, wrong thread.

I'm quoting this post to say Stellaris fuckin rules

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

I'm quoting this post to say Stellaris fuckin rules

:yeah:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Stellaris 2 is probably going to be a phenomenal game. Stellaris right now is kinda ehhhhhh

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

1stGear posted:

Stellaris 2 is probably going to be a phenomenal game. Stellaris right now is kinda ehhhhhh

Don't make me tap the sign. You just couldn't resist could you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its annoying that the story in ME:A is such garbage because the combat is actually pretty fun with the addition of the jetpack letting you do some cool stuff.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I love all the even chains but god drat I cannot handle mid to late game, yeah. I still get my mind blown with the fact there’s one where you sign your empire and all the souls within barring like, one planet to Basically Actual Satan and if you don’t win the game with all the bonuses it gives before he comes knocking you’re reduced to a single planet again

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Don't make me tap the sign. You just couldn't resist could you

I don't know about you people, but the contract Jeffrey made me sign in blood obligates me to criticize goon-made projects at every possible opportunity.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

1stGear posted:

I don't know about you people, but the contract Jeffrey made me sign in blood obligates me to criticize goon-made projects at every possible opportunity.

Stellaris is a goon made project?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Multiple goons became paradox devs. Wiz was at one point the lead I believe. That said Stellaris is God awful, just like every other space 4x that feels the need to cram ship designers in the game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Multiple goons became paradox devs. Wiz was at one point the lead I believe. That said Stellaris is God awful, just like every other space 4x that feels the need to cram ship designers in the game.

Stellaris bitching thread is thatta way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is how I feel about Assassin's Creed games. I play them until an unconscious "yeah I've got my money's worth" switch trips and I don't precisely decide to stop, but I also just don't choose to play it again and eventually uninstall.

Same, for most of those open-world action-y games. Also doubly so for resource collection/crafting games (i.e. everything between Stardew Valley and No Man's Sky). I'll play them solidly every day for two or three weeks, then one day I'll just stop and generally have no desire to ever even think about going back to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you're getting a reasonable amount of time out of a game it isn't a problem if you don' finish it because you got your fill of whatever specific thing you want. If you leave unsatisfied or unhappy that's one thing but just "I got my fill of being a fantasy farmer for a bit" then that's pretty much what the games are designed for. Even with Assassin's Creed you're just as fine viking it up until you don't want to viking and if you want more viking there is more content there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A really small thing but I just beat NEO: The World Ends With You and the end credits really stand out, they're like something from an animated film, with splashes of color, effects on the text, peppy music, I didn't expect to be taken off guard by credits but I just kept watching them, entranced by the animation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

A really small thing but I just beat NEO: The World Ends With You and the end credits really stand out, they're like something from an animated film, with splashes of color, effects on the text, peppy music, I didn't expect to be taken off guard by credits but I just kept watching them, entranced by the animation.

Is that a remake of the DS game, or is it a sequel/spinoff? I got stuck in the final day of the DS game, or at least fairly late in. It got really hard.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Is that a remake of the DS game, or is it a sequel/spinoff? I got stuck in the final day of the DS game, or at least fairly late in. It got really hard.

Sequel, takes place a few years later. The remake is on the Switch (and mobile I think), and is called Final Remix. Not as good as the DS version though.

Probably too late, but did you make sure to always be eating food to keep your stats up, and reduce the difficulty when things were too tough? I loved the first game, and had a really good time with this one.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vandar posted:

gently caress these assholes and their stupid fireballs so hard. :argh:

I got jumped by two of these before and would have died if not for a level higher level horde priest who saved me.

They then waited for me to heal up before proceeding to mind control me and making me aggro pretty much all of Moonbrook.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ruth Negga who plays Tulip in Preacher is also the voice of the Emerald Herald in Dark Souls 2. She suppressed her Irish accent in Preacher but you can absolutely hear it in the Herald’s dialogue. Going back and listening to the Herald’s dialogue gave me chills. She owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
She alao got a poo poo ton of awards and noms for playing Mildred Loving but I guess the edgy atheist vampire show is more important!