Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apart from Itoje, Vunipola and maybe Furlong it was the worst performance from a Gatland Lions team. Should have been beyond the Boks at half time. Fair play to the Boks though, came good in the second half and rightfully won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Lions second half was abysmal, outmatched physically, unable to do anything with the ball and dogshit discipline. Fair play the the Boks for keeping the pressure up, at least it's all to play for now!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Aye, if you can even get the ball to the centres against a huge Boks team, you're totally hosed.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

How ballsy will Gatland be? You could make a case for another 2-3 changes at least but I could as easily see Gats stick with what he's put out in the first two.

Replacement front row, both starting half backs and the back three from today could all be re-jigged.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

How ballsy will Gatland be? You could make a case for another 2-3 changes at least but I could as easily see Gats stick with what he's put out in the first two.

Replacement front row, both starting half backs and the back three from today could all be re-jigged.

He's not really been known for shying away from a controversial selection.
The lack of games between the tests may constrain things though.
I can see him making 6 or 7 changes.

Back three, AWJ to bench and Watson/Faletau starting.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Whole bunch o' changes

British and Irish Lions: Williams; Adams, Henshaw, Aki, Van der Merwe; Biggar, Price; Jones, Owens, Furlong, Itoje, A Wyn Jones (c), Lawes, Curry, Conan

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Vunipola, Sinckler, Beard, Simmonds, Murray, Russell, Daly

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HappyCamperGL posted:

Whole bunch o' changes

British and Irish Lions: Williams; Adams, Henshaw, Aki, Van der Merwe; Biggar, Price; Jones, Owens, Furlong, Itoje, A Wyn Jones (c), Lawes, Curry, Conan

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Vunipola, Sinckler, Beard, Simmonds, Murray, Russell, Daly

No real arguments from me other than vd Merwe is lucky that he was not dropped and that Watson was (who was unlucky to be dropped). I really like Hogg but this kind of game is not his strong suit and Williams is a better pick. If you have Russell at 10 running an attacking backline then Hogg makes sense, but not if the game is so aerial. I think Aki and Henshaw make a terrific centre pairing.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Watson was worse in the air that VDM, but the whole backline was awful on Saturday so hard to pick anyone out to get dropped.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Was very down on the selection before the Boks named theirs, no Faf, PSDT or Vermeulen leaves it open a little, but the Lions forwards were bullied last week and I don't know if this team can turn that around.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vaders Jester posted:

Watson was worse in the air that VDM, but the whole backline was awful on Saturday so hard to pick anyone out to get dropped.

I thought that Vdm Was thoroughly rattled while Watson kept some composure but yes, broadly agreed.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

therattle posted:

I thought that Vdm Was thoroughly rattled while Watson kept some composure but yes, broadly agreed.

There's an interesting stat come from Ben Smith at Rugbypass(so take with a pinch) that any contestable kick chase, across both tests, that has had Duhan as a gunner or directly competing for the ball, SA have had 0% success with. If that's true, then it might explain why he's kept his spot I suppose.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vaders Jester posted:

There's an interesting stat come from Ben Smith at Rugbypass(so take with a pinch) that any contestable kick chase, across both tests, that has had Duhan as a gunner or directly competing for the ball, SA have had 0% success with. If that's true, then it might explain why he's kept his spot I suppose.

It sure would. Even if it’s not 100% accurate but broadly representative it’s a more compelling case for keeping him.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vaders Jester posted:

The All Black...?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Sadly not Ben from accounts, different NZ Smith.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

70 minutes of Finn? :getin:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
My prophecy has come true :(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

And we can all be thankful.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

He’s playing really well. I’m bricking it. Lions looking v dangerous. We are clinging on by the skin of our teeth

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

good to see them actually trying to play rugby now.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Finn gives me the fear sometimes but he's had a really good 30 minutes. Just need to keep the head and not go for anything too bonkers. The change of pace with him on is night and day from the first two tests though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have to clean up the infringements. When the Lions are playing with pace they are all over the boks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Can someone check to make sure Kolbe doesn't run himself in butter before the game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Losing on a 50/50 scrum pretty much sums up this test series. Congrats to SA though, hell of a side.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah bollocks.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

At least we know now that if you want a win, just release a 30 min video of you criticising every decision the ref made in the first match

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Looke posted:

At least we know now that if you want a win, just release a 30 min video of you criticising every decision the ref made in the first match

Or you could blame poor decision making which leaves points on the table and doesn’t convert territorial and possession dominance into points.

Don’t forget that Gatland started the whole refereeing issue by attacking the TMO.

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 7, 2021

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Please dont interject my saltiness with facts

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I presume this article is a bunch of sour grapes..https://rugbyonslaught.com/the-moment-that-finally-proved-this-lions-tour-was-a-farce/

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It's weird to have a physio so close, just in case some player goes into them and someone gets hurt but it's being blown totally out of proportion.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jesus Christ, that website is like the rugby equivalent of the Daily Mail.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

therattle posted:

Jesus Christ, that website is like the rugby equivalent of the Daily Mail.

Oh really? Lol I didn't realise. I generally don't read rugby articles online tbh but that somehow ended up in my newsfeed.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I wondered what they were doing there as well and why they were talking while the Lions were over the line, not quite convinced it's the problem Mr Onslaught is making it out to be mind.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

It's a bit naughty, but "absolutely sickening" is a bit of stretch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CyberPingu posted:

Oh really? Lol I didn't realise. I generally don't read rugby articles online tbh but that somehow ended up in my newsfeed.

I had a look (never heard of it before) and the tone is soooo over the top.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Without looking, I correct in assuming they publish articles about the All Blacks poaching Pasifika talent, and recruit directly from the islands?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Without looking, I correct in assuming they publish articles about the All Blacks poaching Pasifika talent, and recruit directly from the islands?

Probably, but I'm not sure it's being 100% serious. This article starts off:

quote:

New Zealand folk definitely know their rugby, having once been really good at the sport a good few years back.

The international game may be beyond New Zealand and their once mighty All Blacks and their fans know that, but they’re definitely in a good spot to give an opinion on class sides like the British & Irish Lions, and to a lesser extent the Springboks.

Which suggests that a lot of it is tongue in cheek and done for the wind up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Red card?

So is the 20 minute rule official now?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mister Chief posted:

Red card?

Trialled in the Rugby Champs.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Red card?

Would appear so. And that was a pretty soft red, but I guess if you’re not a player down for the entire match a soft red is more understandable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think it’s the perfect example for an orange card.