Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve literally never heard anyone talk about WKUK in a positive way until today, I’ve never watched any of their stuff because I was under the impression they were universally considered bad. RIP, though. 41 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve literally never heard anyone talk about WKUK in a positive way until today, I’ve never watched any of their stuff because I was under the impression they were universally considered bad. RIP, though. 41 :(

Yeah I'm confused but of course they had fans and it's a sad thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His death is tragic but that show was 100% trash.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sex Robot's a great sketch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Abraham Lincoln sketch owns.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is so wildly tragic.

WKUK started streaming towards the beginning of lockdown, with the goal of funding an animated movie called Mars. Fast forward a year and they're doing near-daily shows, with differing hosts. Trevor did a show every Friday night with Zack, and all five of em' did one called 'Self Suck Saturday'. Energy was chaotic, funny, kind of dumb, but remarkably kind.

One of the members, Zack had been away in Bulgaria shooting a film for the past six months or so, and had just came back last night. They did their first show with him back, kicking off a 'second season' of it, signing off to do a bigger "hey everyone's back together" tonight. But apparently sometime within a couple hours of ending the stream last night he died.

They built up a community, had a bunch of momentum and good will towards their work, and... now it's probably done for. Positive the other members will finish the movie they were making, but all that energy will be a lot different. Less a triumphant victory of crowdfunding with them all enjoying the spoils, now a memorial.

RIP you funny, weird, dude.

It's very strange having seen someone within hours of them passing away unexpectidly, even if virtually.

Escobarbarian posted:

A lot of their stuff holds up pretty well if you're down for dumb comedy with great deliveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct2AWh-nKSk

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 8, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My brain gets them confused with Derrick Comedy, which was also popular around the same time. I would describe both of them as lowbrow trash, but at least WKUK aren't ashamed about what they put out like Derrick Comedy is, with Spelling Bee and Bro Rape for example.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I'll drop it but all these highlights you all are sharing are just bad. And my opinion is absolutely influenced by every vocal fan of them I've met in person being a I'm not racist but... type.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
WKUK somehow took the white boy frat humor and just twisted it to make it weird enough that tons of their juvenile skits are still pretty good. It's doesn't wear the extreme 2000s college comedy badge of shame like Derrick Comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYy77IGsBFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMbU-we1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdvqQAi8Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EIAN1YcEUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgiEQXGetI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38O-PcjXh0k

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what’s really chilling is how he released this in June
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-d3ZH8VnU4

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Most sketch comedy is "bad". Skits are dumb, convoluted, and a lot of it comes down to whether you jive with the cast or actors.

Paperback Writer posted:

what’s really weird is how he released this in June
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-d3ZH8VnU4

:qq:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 8, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'll drop it but all these highlights you all are sharing are just bad. And my opinion is absolutely influenced by every vocal fan of them I've met in person being a I'm not racist but... type.

Extremely classy

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Extremely classy

Oh if there's a time for classy it's AM weekend nights.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

... And my opinion is absolutely influenced by every vocal fan of them I've met in person being a I'm not racist but... type.

Hey, weird take! The name of the troupe is sardonic and self deprecating. They aren't proclaiming they are proud to be so white... This reminds me of a time when my buddy hated on H. Jon Benjamin because he was a pedophile. I was like, "wait what" and looked it up online. He was in sketch where he was arrested for being a perv and for some reason that had trickled down to my buddy as a real thing. People just want to hate apparently.

They went out of their way to make fun of how "white" they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnZzgaZV4ME

Who knows, though. Maybe they are all secret racists! I don't know. I was just enjoying the comedy. I always saw them as the successors to Kids in the Hall. Silly parodies and social satire... I'm on the opposite side of the fence here. I've never heard anyone NOT like Whitest Kids You Know. I have seen people online that don't like it because they think the title of the troupe is weird though!

I am bummed out that he died, but I never followed what they all did after the show. I know he started as an SNL page and wanted to make his own comedy troupe. They were hot out of the gate winning some awards that landed them their IFC gig.

Here's probably the most sophomoric sketch they ever did, but at the time it made me laugh; so I will share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ksQVp_oRI

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 8, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked the show when I was 13 but I haven't seen any of wkuk since Middle school and I'm afraid to tarnish the memory. Rip though

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They are all huge libs so yeah kinda a weird take.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Lol goons suck so loving much. Ever think to just not post?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They haven't said what the cause of death was, just: "accident". But he had been bragging about setting up a still to make Moonshine a lot in recent months. Here's hoping he at least went out in some freak home-made moonshine disaster vs. tripping down the stairs.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Abraham Lincoln sketch owns.

The Abe Lincoln sketch might be the funniest sketch I've ever seen in any sketch comedy ever.

I really want to binge all of WKUK today, but I don't know if I'm up to it. This is really sad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
No one mentioning his music makes me sad, Kitty History and High In Church are both great.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I really liked his song called Gary

https://youtu.be/hDjh3aO5CXk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you don't like whitest kids you should probably get your humor glands checked

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Gaius Marius posted:

If you don't like whitest kids you should probably get your humor glands checked

This and also imagine thinking people care enough about your negative feelings towards wkuk that you post them 3 separate times as people are mourning one of the members. Goon brain is the absolute worst

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RIP Markie Post.

That leaves only John Larroquette, Marsha Warfield, and Richard Moll left from the classic Night Court gang.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
"I have barely any knowledge about this recently dead man, but could they be a racist?"

gently caress right off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

RIP Markie Post.

That leaves only John Larroquette, Marsha Warfield, and Richard Moll left from the classic Night Court gang.

I honestly thought Moll had passed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trevor's new comedy talk show was the best

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

a Loving Dog posted:

This and also imagine thinking people care enough about your negative feelings towards wkuk that you post them 3 separate times as people are mourning one of the members. Goon brain is the absolute worst

Open Source Idiom posted:

"I have barely any knowledge about this recently dead man, but could they be a racist?"

gently caress right off.
yeah honestly what the hell

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I honestly didn’t think that one of the WKYK people dying would have any effect on me but drat, watching some of their best ofs made me bummed out. The dude was an amazing comedic actor and if he had a better set of opportunities he could have totally been a Bob Odenkirk level talent.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
WKUK should've been way more famous then they were, even nearly 15 years later it's head and shoulders above most comparable comedy at the time, much less any sketch comedy. Think about it, a sketch comedy show from 2007-2011 on US TV. Think back to what else was on at the time and is now literally unwatchable.

It also sucks they didn't make major $$$ either because the Timmy, the actor who always played the female/child roles later got fired from his professional teacher job because the conservative school district was offended he was cross-dressing in some absurd comedy roles in his early 20s.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different person. I can't find the article from a few years ago, it was pretty small time news.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 8, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The literal only wkuk thing I ever saw was the Grapist

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Compare them to Derrick Comedy, where Don Glover had a great career after and it’s honestly a bit surprising. Don Glover is great but when you look at the sketches a lot of Derrick Comedy was a similar style but relied more on shock (spelling bee comes to mind). WKUK just usually took a premise and just committed to it. It’s why one-joke skits like Gallon of PCP and Business Sniper work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Davros1 posted:

RIP Markie Post.

I honestly thought Marsha Warfield had passed! But I loved Night Court so much as a kid. It was on during late elementary school and middle school for me, when my tastes and my sense of humor were really developing. I watched it in secret because we weren't a big sitcom-watching family, and I knew my mom would disapprove of the raunchy humor and sexual situations. Night Court made me feel very sophisticated and mature, and after all that, I ended up in the legal field!

But I was crushed when Harry Anderson died, saddened by Charles Robinson, and crushed now too, especially since Markie Post was my late '80s/early '90s crush, right before I discovered Jennifer Connelly.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

a Loving Dog posted:

Yeah that was lovely of me. Bad night it happens in life.

And honestly if my version of a bad night is posting on a niche tv forum who loving cares?

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 8, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tbh I didn't expect 'the dude who wrote the dinosaur rap song for the sketch show I watched in high school' dying would gently caress me up but somehow it's triggered a bunch of nostalgia, probably not helped by...you know...insert vague gesture at the entire world state here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was lovely of me. Bad night it happens in life.

And honestly if my version of a bad night is posting on a niche tv forum who loving cares?

Not having a good afternoon either it seems.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not having a good afternoon either it seems.

Overtime in a hospital loving sucks these days. Sorry spoiler.

Dumbest place to lash out in. My stress these days. Sorry y'all.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 8, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/8SKt9eOEHXA

This isn’t their best sketch but it’s a good example of their energy: they were really good at channeling that weird little boy mindset into creativity. It makes 1000% sense that Moore was making shows on Disney XD, he can channel their exact audience so well

There was a comment in the AV Club article from a guy who loved WKUK when they were in their prime and had a laugh when he realized a few months ago that his son’s favorite show was made by the same guy. He had an adolescent spirit and made a living proudly following it

edit: this sketch is just really funny

https://youtu.be/E_zv_i9Gfe8

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That sucks, I liked a fair amount of their sketches and Moore had great screen presence. Unfortunately they didn’t have much luck in breaking into the big time, I saw their film Ms March in theatres as a teenager and it was awful. A lot of the sketches still hold up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Compare them to Derrick Comedy, where Don Glover had a great career after and it’s honestly a bit surprising. Don Glover is great but when you look at the sketches a lot of Derrick Comedy was a similar style but relied more on shock (spelling bee comes to mind). WKUK just usually took a premise and just committed to it. It’s why one-joke skits like Gallon of PCP and Business Sniper work.

That supreme committal to the dumb premises of the skits is why WKUK always reminded me of Kids in the Hall more than anything.