Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gnome7 posted:

Release dates were announced at the end of the interview

Stone Ocean debuts in December on Netflix, and airing on TV starting January

Is there any chance of Toonami airing the TV broadcast?

I’m not watching loving Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seen a tweet of someone from Toonami saying goodbye to JoJo, in effect.

Would be safe to assume that Netflix will be the only delivery vehicle for Stone Ocean outside of piracy, so no Crunchyroll either.
Makes no sense that Netflix would pay for a huge scoop (in the anime sense anyway) and then allow others access.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there any chance of Toonami airing the TV broadcast?

I’m not watching loving Netflix

Possibly after the english dub eventually happens, but as a simulcast with the original release? No way.

This is all they gave us. Netflix in December 2021, no specific date, and airing on those specific channels in Japan sometime in January, no specific date.

The Netflix tweet does tell us that this will be a worldwide debut, so it won't be in Netflix jail at least. But the specifics of how they're airing the two one month apart are not yet known.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Head of Toonami has said no. Netflix isn't interested.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did they say anything about who they have on the animation team?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Seen a tweet of someone from Toonami saying goodbye to JoJo, in effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsxXvKnuZ7s

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did they say anything about who they have on the animation team?

They did, yeah. The core production staff list starts at the timestamp here (10:32). It's mostly a list of returning people doing the things they did before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3zWnbFyLo&t=632s

The rest of the production staff was listed here (15:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3zWnbFyLo&t=908s

And since I was grabbing these anyway, the list of VAs and who they play starts here (27:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3zWnbFyLo&t=1633s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a tweet going round saying all the episodes are coming out at once.
Would take that with a full shaker of salt.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

It was also in Crunchyroll's news. I'm guessing they're going off this part of the livestream?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure why anyone would take "worldwide" in that context to mean "all episodes at once" instead of "Japan/US/EU/UK (possibly, we still don't have DiU)" etc.

On a production timescale, it feels very unlikely that they'd have been sitting 39 episodes at once

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think it's less the "worldwide" part and more taking the "season will be released" bit as saying "the whole season, all at once" rather than "the season will air weekly."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

On one hand, Netflix isn't technologically incapable of doing a weekly release, because they do it in Japan fairly often

But on the otherhand, Netflix has never done that before with an American release, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to do it for the first time for Jojo, as popular as it is

I'd bet it's released in two "seasons" amounting to a split cour dump

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i mean, i hope it all comes out at once

i'll binge this poo poo on repeat into 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm really glad Netflix is getting it but you can't even watch parts 4 and 5 there yet (at least in the UK). Hell they even have the Rohan spinoff but not the actual series with Rohan in it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, US Netflix doesn’t have Part 5 yet, either.

Was kinda hoping this’d be a simuldub, but you figure that this event would have been the place to announce it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m so excited for this. I’m also so happy that my husband, who’s not at all into anime, loves those show for its pop culture references, of which he knows most of them. He just introduced me to Jolene by Dolly Parton, which I didn’t know.

It’s such a wholesome series and I can’t wait for December and discover this new gang. Super happy to see Jotaro having a cameo again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I assume Part 5 is gonna get added sometime between now and December to help drum up interest in Part 6. At least in the US, I don't know about you folks in the UK that still don't have Part 4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it'll all just be licensing and people hanging on to rights to squeeze as many views as possible out of something for as long as they can.

people will just turn to piracy to watch DiU and Vento in places like the UK if they make it a pain in the arse to watch all of jojo in a centralised place.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

it'll all just be licensing and people hanging on to rights to squeeze as many views as possible out of something for as long as they can.

people will just turn to piracy to watch DiU and Vento in places like the UK if they make it a pain in the arse to watch all of jojo in a centralised place.

It is at least free on Crunchyroll so it's perfectly watchable (with an adblocker) if you know to look there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

december release date is pretty cool

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

stev posted:

It is at least free on Crunchyroll so it's perfectly watchable (with an adblocker) if you know to look there.

yeah, it's really not too bad at the minute, it's a question of it staying that way

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I suppose it's fitting that this of all parts ended up in Netflix jail.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Worldwide release, no jail

bondster
May 6, 2007

I wonder if because its Netflix we’ll get the uncensored version rather than the TV version that’s airing in Japan later?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
EU Netflix has only Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency on my check, but Rohan Kishibe special is there at least. This being possibly first fresh anime I catch there, Netflix Jail or at least some kind of simulcast to expect?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
US Netflix has up through part 4 and Rohan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, it's gonna suck not having JoJo fridays anymore. There was one fight in particular I've been hyped for years to get to the end of its first half and waiting a whole week to see if my favorite page ever would happen or not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is there's no Jojo, that poo poo ain't Friday! :argh:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I haven't seen any confirmation that Netflix is dropping the entire season at once. l would be kinda pissed if they did move it away from a weekly format, binging is a terrible practice and I really enjoy posting with people week by week and seeing the speculation and reads people make.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GuyUpNorth posted:

EU Netflix has only Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency on my check, but Rohan Kishibe special is there at least. This being possibly first fresh anime I catch there, Netflix Jail or at least some kind of simulcast to expect?

Mm, I just checked and Netflix Spain has Parts 1-4, only 5 is missing so it may depend on the country?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's literally no indication of netflix magically dropping the whole season all at once and i don't see how that would even remotely work given the work that goes into making poo poo like this, especially with what will inevitably be like 39 episodes

realistically netflix paid to have early access to it so they could entice people to subscribe so they can experience the episodes 'early' compared to when they'll start airing wherever later on

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Worst case, it's released in batches like Great Pretender.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah I'm just assuming it'll be done in cours. December it drops one cour, April we get another one, with probably one or two episodes airing in japanese tv before it hits netflix, and then January 2023 the final cour goes up that started airing after a long break.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Netflix (outside the US at least) regularly hosts weekly, non-full-season-drop shows. I don't see why Stone Ocean wouldn't be weekly

EDIT: it's a limited exclusivity deal, Netflix presumably has no input on or real interest in the production schedule

LordMune fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 8, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not impossible. Just a few months ago, Godzilla Singular Point hit Netflix essentially the week after it finished airing in Japan, so maybe they're learning.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I just realized one bad thing about JoJo being a Netflix exclusive: It's going to actively skip the ED for most people.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't wait for everyone to meet jolyne and agree that she is one of the best jojos

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to everyone realizing Jotaro had a 7 year old daughter during the events of Diamond is Unbreakable

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jotaro had a very important thesis paper to write about starfish and i think we should accept that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Looking forward to everyone realizing Jotaro had a 7 year old daughter during the events of Diamond is Unbreakable

Does that even get a mention in part 4? I think there's a line in the anime right at the start, but that's it.