Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still baffled as to why his burgeoning relationship with Ink Witch has just been replaced with Corpsemom. Or what any of the characters think about this. Again, is Ink Witch jealous? Resigned to it? Is she happy for him? Does she want to join in? Why isn't she the one sleeping with him, if they were so into that before? There's no indication of any change in relationship with them.

Ugh. It's all just so half assed and poorly conveyed. It just feels like this is who Mookie is horny for right now and he's got Ink Witch on the backburner to just pop in like nothing happened when he's in the mood for her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Riot Bus posted:

Like you pointed out, Dominic says an all battlecaster military is bad but it's absolutely unclear why. Magic use seems so normal in this setting... why would having your military be trained in it cause problems?

One of the future arcs near the end of the comic actually doe show us why an all battlecaster military is bad, and I'll give Mookie credit that despite his lack of planning out his stories, he probably does have at least a vague idea of future things he wants to do. So this could have been him setting up a "Dominic knew all along" thing here.

Except that in order to do that, Dominic would have to say why he knew it was a bad idea instead of just him proclaiming that it is as a self-evident idea. Also for Dominic to know why it's bad at this point in time I think doesn't work because it contradicts future reveals that wouldn't have been surprising to him if he knew why the battlecasters were bad now.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Billy Gnosis posted:

I'm just going to assume this is an edit. It's too stupid even for Mookie.

went to the website to check and i really wish you were right.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

TheHan posted:

If you're like me you were probably hoping Mookie would re-use the drawing of Snout and Corpsemomdaughterwife, for the third time in as many pages, to announce his hiatus.

:toot:

She sleeps better contorting her torso to show both breasts; he sleeps better when being kneed in the junk. Together, they fight crime! Watch I Thought Tracing Would Hide How Bad I Am At Art, Mondays on CBS

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I still wanna know why they're sleeping hovering over the edge of the bed when there's clearly room for them to scoot over a bit to the right

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

he can show me that drawing as many times as he wants, it's not going to make me hate it any less

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm still baffled as to why his burgeoning relationship with Ink Witch has just been replaced with Corpsemom. Or what any of the characters think about this. Again, is Ink Witch jealous? Resigned to it? Is she happy for him? Does she want to join in? Why isn't she the one sleeping with him, if they were so into that before? There's no indication of any change in relationship with them.

Ugh. It's all just so half assed and poorly conveyed. It just feels like this is who Mookie is horny for right now and he's got Ink Witch on the backburner to just pop in like nothing happened when he's in the mood for her again.

This is honestly feeling like such a wish-fulfillment story for mookieSnout that it would actually feel appropriate to give it an "it was all a dream" cliché conclusion. Every other character seems to only have agency to the extent that it advances Snout's interests somewhat. Ink Witch and Arudak are putting aside their conflict and their personal interest in Dominic's legacy in favour of Snout's. Inkmum and Corpsemum both give their unconditional affection to Snout, neither recognising the other and the triangle that gets formed. Redactor shows up as an antagonistic force and, for no good reason, takes an interest in Snout's useless loving diary and erases its contents.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Corpsedaughterwife getting a name seems unbelievable. I just don't believe it will happen.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Twelve by Pies posted:

One of the future arcs near the end of the comic actually doe show us why an all battlecaster military is bad, and I'll give Mookie credit that despite his lack of planning out his stories, he probably does have at least a vague idea of future things he wants to do. So this could have been him setting up a "Dominic knew all along" thing here.

Except that in order to do that, Dominic would have to say why he knew it was a bad idea instead of just him proclaiming that it is as a self-evident idea. Also for Dominic to know why it's bad at this point in time I think doesn't work because it contradicts future reveals that wouldn't have been surprising to him if he knew why the battlecasters were bad now.

See I think it'd make a lot of sense for someone who knows that the system is inherently corrupt to be worried about law enforcement gaining even more power and authority, but at the same time the deep rooted systemic issues in Dominic Deegan are always attributed to a handful of bad guys using power for evil. I don't think at this point in his writing career Mookie was even close to concepts as complex as systemic issues, so I assume Dominic only knows this is a bad idea because Mookie knows the battlecasters will be villains.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

Dominic to be a huge rear end in a top hat. Nice of him to remind his girlfriend about this in front of people.

And I'll say it again but Mookie's slurs are a little too close for comfort to real ones for her to be using them as often as he is

When was Star Power made, again? Because even in that, you get the feeling Mookie relished coming up with all those slurs for his alien races.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's a simple answer to that: Mookie knew he's going with Snout and Corpsemomwife as a couple now, so Ink Witch does as well and so has no problem with it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

amigolupus posted:

There's a simple answer to that: Mookie knew he's going with Snout and Corpsemomwife as a couple now, so Ink Witch does as well and so has no problem with it.

At this point, it’s pretty clear that the nude cuddling is entirely non-sexual and unrelated to any sort of relationship dynamic(s).

Corpsebaby is only sleeping nude with Snout because she needs a bed, and Ink Witch only isn’t there because this particular bed fits two people. The characters just rub their junk all over each-other, as casually as shaking hands. Ink Witch is presumably sleeping nude with Paper Wizard in the next room over.

Of course, to a normal reader, everything about this screams that they’re loving - but we need to take Terracianno at his word: they really just think hugging is neat. Snout coincidentally has hug-activated psychic powers but, once they’re all nude and mind-melded in the dreamspace, the characters basically just examine technical diagrams.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TheHan posted:

See I think it'd make a lot of sense for someone who knows that the system is inherently corrupt to be worried about law enforcement gaining even more power and authority, but at the same time the deep rooted systemic issues in Dominic Deegan are always attributed to a handful of bad guys using power for evil. I don't think at this point in his writing career Mookie was even close to concepts as complex as systemic issues, so I assume Dominic only knows this is a bad idea because Mookie knows the battlecasters will be villains.

That's the problem is that technically Dominic shouldn't know that the system is inherently corrupt.

I went and checked just now. Dominic doesn't find out that King Dave is evil until chapter 34, Revelation (right after Facebath). That's the problem with the idea that Dominic knows the battlecasters are bad news at this point in time due to their association with King Dave: he doesn't know Dave is evil right now, so he has no reason to suspect the battlecasters.

Now if you mean Dominic thinks that Callan's rule of law itself is inherently corrupt, even if King Dave was a good man, then it does still work. Except the problem with that is that as Beelzebufo said,

quote:

Without a basic understanding of how Callan works, there is no way for the reader to suss out why any of these changes are good or bad.

Is the legal authority in Callan inherently corrupt and thus anyone they put in power also will be corrupt as well? Or was the corruption solely concentrated in the knights and the battlecasters, as a separate group, not part of that corruption? After all, we already know that Reinholdt was actually a good man all along and only pretending to be racist and evil because his superiors expected him to be racist and evil. So if King Dave is a good and just ruler, but the higher ups in the knights were evil racists, then getting rid of the knights and those evil racists in the higher ups in favor of a different group made up of different people should in theory solve the issue, right? The higher ups in the battlecasters could also be evil racists, though, in which case the problem wouldn't be solved.

But he comic doesn't say any of this, and Dominic doesn't explain his reasoning. He says that it's bad, and Dominic is essentially God, so Word of God says it's bad and that's all the reason the reader should need.

I do think you're completely correct that at this point, Mookie probably knew the battlecasters would be villains, and Dominic doesn't trust the battlecasters because Mookie knows this. But at least as far as the comic is concerned, there's no logical reason for Dominic to not trust the battlecasters at this point in time, since he won't know King Dave is evil for a few more chapters.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh you're totally right, Callan doesn't even have enough of a system to know if the system is corrupt or not. At this point in the story the one of the only two things we know for sure is they've got a dozen arbitrary laws that make life unnecessarily hard for the little guy, but an equal number of arbitrary laws that let the little guy completely destroy the big guy if the little guy is smart enough.

The other thing is that the kingdom did use infernomancers to genocide the orcs, which to be fair is super evil. Dominic just happens to know this after Pam learns about it, and he doesn't comment on it at all, but it's the closest we get to Dominic discussing the country he lives in beyond the individual people he despises. And despite knowing this he still thinks King Dave is a good guy, even though he's the same guy who led the orc genocide. At the exact same time Dominic thinks King Dave dissolving the royal knights and replacing them with wizards is bad, because [some reason]. There's a thousand questions this whole scenario raises cause the Callan kingdom only gets development when the plot needs to go somewhere, and it doesn't matter if it directly contradicts old development.

Like for example, I think Beelzebufo pointed it out back in Battle for Barthis but Jayden says the infernomancers used in the orc genocide had to be hunted down by "Their Sacred Knights". What the hell does that mean? Is that like the navy having to execute the green berets? Does the Luanian church have a standing army that doesn't answer to King Dave? It gets mentioned in one panel and then never again like it's no big deal.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's pretty easy. Callan is 1:1 the United States in the early 2000s, except where it explicitly isn't.

"Callan has fired the army, from now on Battle Hackers will be Callan's main fighting force!"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

There now wasn't that worth the wait?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Look at snout's tiny rear end

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

womb diagram again

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Are all 3 parts of the comic copy and pastes of previous ones?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Are all 3 parts of the comic copy and pastes of previous ones?

what does your heart tell you

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Corpsemum is now the same size as Snout. Which either means that making her like two heads taller in the previous page was an error, or that he forgot over the course of his holiday. I don't know which one's funnier.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

And yet, somehow, it's completely hairless despite him being pretty hairy.

Dabir posted:

womb diagram again

The sad thing is, I can't tell if that was intentional on Mookie's part or he's letting his id drip into the pages again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

amigolupus posted:

The sad thing is, I can't tell if that was intentional on Mookie's part or he's letting his id drip into the pages again.

Even if it wasn't intentional, he'd probably say it was part of his brilliant plan if you asked him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'm leaning towards Mookie crapping these out without a second spent considering what something looks like, but it'd at least be interesting if he was doing something deranged like making this the uterus Luna gave up to rebirth Maltak.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
He's actually using some brushes for effect: the ropey vines, the ivy hanging off the "branches". Too bad we'll never see it again until this page is copy pasted.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I'd rather not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I said this in the Bad Webcomics thread but I'm gonna take a longshot guess and say that's the spirit of Luna's fertility that she sacrificed to reinvigorate Maltak. It's exactly the ham handed poo poo Mookie loves.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh look, more absolute nothing pretending to be profound

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Center of triangle looks like a butthole and corpsewife is about to start doing the robot

Also dang i never noticed how hairless the back half of snout is but its really obvious and weird here. With how his chest/torso is you'd think he'd have a full back/rear end pelt but he's smooth like an egg

Maybe he fell backwards onto a glue trap at some point

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah yes, well worth the bated breath after his week off.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I put even odds that the triangles plus three circles and the inkiness is evidence of Mookie's subtle push for his soft boi to enter a thruple

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Luna giving her fertility to maltak and then corpsewifemum being born from the soil of maltak seems a little.... On the nose

E: or wait was that still in the mild edge. Idk

Mx. fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 10, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Has Mookie ever not been on the nose?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, when he's on the Snout

HEYOOOO

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Things are…happening? I think?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't peg Mookie as having a fetish for women being puppeted by cubes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGDCE6Nrz0

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Despite him telling us like ten times I don't know if I can remember what the mystic symbol "cube" means because it's so stupid. Order? Is this order showing up? Is Snout invoking it or does this just happen on its own? Does this mean anything will it ever mean anything

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah

I can't get over the incredible laziness of it just being a cube, lol.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TheHan posted:

If we take the last page into account, this page's sequence of events doesn't flow well at all. Snout and Corpsemomwife were first staring at the uterus tree, and then in this page Corpsemomwife gets attacked by what looks to be a moldy penis stretching toward her. There's no panel setting up that the floor Snout was standing on was crumbling either, so now it seems like Snout spawned in his dream only to immediately fall down and eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dreams don't need to flow or make sense, they are ~DrEaMz!!!!~