Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
When I realize I've been tricked into coming to some sort of evil lair my first instinct is to stick my hand into whatever random liquid I see first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The

rare

white

BENGAL TIGERRRR

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

When I realize I've been tricked into coming to some sort of evil lair my first instinct is to stick my hand into whatever random liquid I see first.

Well, sure, that's just common sense. How else do you know its suspected temperature?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

To this day I'm not even sure what Hogan was going for there. Like he expected it to be hot, it wasn't and his brain blue screened. Or maybe he was searching for the word "Cold" and ended up on "Wet stuff not hot"

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 7, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Sissy Kevin Sullivan of failing Dungeon of Doom and bad wrestling varsity club captain has a problem -- his Bengal tiger cave waterfall is no longer "hot"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay you guys have convinced me - the Dungeon of Doom was actually great.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AHHH! IT'S NOT HOT!

I've seen my share of bad movies but like DeathChicken I have no idea what the gently caress was supposed to be happening in that skit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did Hogan switch to pants anyway? With the exception of Wrestlemania IX it seems like he made the change for WCW.

He got old. He returned to the yellow trunks later in his WCW run and it makes him look so old compared to Hollywood Hogan.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Okay you guys have convinced me - the Dungeon of Doom was actually great.

I pretty much unironically love the presentation of it. The secret lair, Sullivan's nutty promos, "YOU AND I CANNOT EXIST ON THE SAME PLANET HOGAN"- brilliant.

It was probably already too far into the 90s for this to work, but man, imagine this gimmick with a stable who aren't there just to job to the top guy over and over.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In theory there's a bunch of workers there for a fun version of Sullivan's Army of Darkness gimmick with Tenta and Meng and all, plus King Curtis has a great voice for heel promos.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Kevin Sullivan was the original Tommy End with his lore

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hirez posted:

this doesnt bode well for Zelina

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hirez posted:

Finding out that his idea with the Varsity Club was basically to do his Satanic "Army of Darkness" gimmick but downplay the satanic panic and instead make it more that he was manipulating talented athletes into being his goons was pretty interesting.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

DeathChicken posted:

To this day I'm not even sure what Hogan was going for there. Like he expected it to be hot, it wasn't and his brain blue screened. Or maybe he was searching for the word "Cold" and ended up on "Wet stuff not hot"

Assuming it was scripted, because this was around the time of Thunder in Paradise and I'm guessing Hogan expected scripts for all his acting endeavours, I can imagine it was written something like "Hogan enters a strange room where everything is unusual, he sees water that is clearly steaming but when he puts his hand into it he realises it isn't hot at all". Some kind of attempt to convey the strangeness of his surroundings that didn't translate at all thanks to the terrible way it was shot and acted.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1424372374250692617?s=21

It is unbelievable how well Bobby protected others in the ring. He juuuuust grazes JYD’s forehead here

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Finding out that his idea with the Varsity Club was basically to do his Satanic "Army of Darkness" gimmick but downplay the satanic panic and instead make it more that he was manipulating talented athletes into being his goons was pretty interesting.

Yup. As is typical JCP/WCW the angle was squashed as soon as it got really interesting and/or popular.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Yup. As is typical JCP/WCW the angle was squashed as soon as it got really interesting and/or popular.

Turns out Vince loves old wrestling after all

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dawgstar posted:

What was the timing between Nash and Hall becoming available and the blowoff of the Dungeon of Doom? I, uh, don’t really blame them there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Luigi Thirty posted:

What was the timing between Nash and Hall becoming available and the blowoff of the Dungeon of Doom? I, uh, don’t really blame them there.

Oh, I was talking about the Varsity Club, not the Dungeon, sorry.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They should have had Hulk put his hand in a covered bowl of peeled grapes, told him it was eyeballs. Really freak him out, get real dastardly with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

It led to the push of Rick Steiner, which was definitely the right way to go

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tato posted:

They should have had Hulk put his hand in a covered bowl of peeled grapes, told him it was eyeballs. Really freak him out, get real dastardly with it.

Sullivan: AND WHEN I WAS TIED TO THE TREE OF WOE, HULK HOGAN, I WAS VISITED BY A WITCH! AND HERE, IS HER HAIR! *puts cold noodles in Hulk’s hands*

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1424372374250692617?s=21

It is unbelievable how well Bobby protected others in the ring. He juuuuust grazes JYD’s forehead here

This sort of accuracy and care is way more impressive than any power move I've ever seen.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

the big Dungeon of Doom match was in march of 96 and the nwo angle started in earnest in may, but as a stable Dungeon of Doom lasted all the way through 1997, so they overlapped.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the big Dungeon of Doom match was in march of 96 and the nwo angle started in earnest in may, but as a stable Dungeon of Doom lasted all the way through 1997, so they overlapped.

Yeah. You had that odd thing where part of the reason there was no organized resistance to the NWO (aside from bad booking) was that the Four Horsemen spent a long time playing footsie with the Dungeon. Invaders taking over? Bah! Time for another match with the Faces of Fear!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

The main problem with the Varsity Club was that people kept leaving.

Varsity Club formed in in 88 with Mike Rotunda, Rick Steiner and Kevin Sullivan and after about six months Rick Steiner turned face, leaves the group and starts a feud with Rotunda. This brings in Dr Death Steve Williams (don't mention the fact that he had helped the Garvins in their matches against the Varsity Club earlier) at Starrcade 88.
In february 1989 Rick Steiner teams up with Eddie Gilbert (Scott Steiner is there for moral support mainly) to feud over the US tag titles that Williams and Sullivan hold and a month or so later Dan Spivey is recruited to the club. This was partially because the 4 Horsemen was split up at this point after AA, Tully and JJ Dillon had all left the company so WCW needed a new strong heel group. (Nobody mention the Yamasaki Corporation)

The main goal in 1989 for the Varsity Club was the world tag titles held by the Road Warriors and Sullivan/Williams tried a bunch of times and then after Wrestlewar 89 (which is in May) the whole thing starts falling apart.
Eddie Gilbert left the company earlier in the year (this did cause Rick and Scott to start teaming though, so some good came of it).
Steve Williams turns face and leaves the group, has a short feud with Rotunda and then starts a US title programme with Lex Luger.
Dan Spivey turns into a skyscraper alongside Sid Vicious and now we're down to just Kevin Sullivan and Mike Rotunda.

So the whole thing didn't really last very long.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What always gets me is that the Dungeon of Doom stuck around long enough to do a Batman and Robin promotional bit. Like, yeah, I know that the Final Ultimate Solution was Bane and also in the horrible Uncensored match but the years hardly match up to me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Considering the connection there I'm shocked Hogan doesn't have a story about how he was approached to be Batman in that movie.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TheKingslayer posted:

Considering the connection there I'm shocked Hogan doesn't have a story about how he was approached to be Batman in that movie.

https://whatculture.com/film/12-shocking-batman-movie-plans-that-almost-happened?page=5

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

... ok. That was honestly the original joking comment I had planned to make but I thought it was too second banana for Hogan and went to Batman. Holy poo poo.

EDIT: Also this article is full of poo poo. Arnold was a perfect Mr Freeze.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Holy mackerel, Batman! It's Mr. Freeze!"
"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

:laffo:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

:vince:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

dude

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

lmfao

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

:five:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

fuckin laffo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Seems like a good note to end this iteration of the thread, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Seems like a good note to end this iteration of the thread, god drat.

We can't see it now. If this thread is still around on June 13th of next year, it will have been around longer than WCW was.