Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Emitter-Coupled Logic

it was used for high speed digital logic back in the day as a sort of competitor to TTL

it required some weird voltages and more power but could switch really fast and since it always produces both positive-logic and negative-logic outputs (e.g. an OR gate is actually an OR/NOR gate) it has a form of differential signaling built in

most end users would encounter it in the signaling for high res monochrome monitors; a Sun-3/60 could run a monochrome display at 1600×1280 in 1987 via ECL

it fell by the wayside though as TTL “won,” and then gave way to 3.3V logic etc. and displays dumped it as soon as analog grayscale and RGB color via RS-170 signaling started to scale up

I have what was probably one of the last ECL displays on the market, the Atari TTM-194 high-res monochrome monitor for the Atari TT; unfortunately it was pretty banged up in shipping and needs a bunch of work to come back to life, so in the meantime I need an ECL-VGA adapter or a VME-to-ISA adapter with an ET4000 card to use my TT in high res

eschaton fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Built in FM radio support on mobile devices.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Sagebrush posted:

still use one in my car to this day :c00lbert:

I’ve got a Bluetooth -> FM transmitter plugged into my 12V outlet. works pretty well

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm so glad my car now has built-in Bluetooth, because those fm transmitters suck when you're on a long trip and have to reconfigure it a million times along the way. Or even on just a moderately long commute.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

there's also bluetooth cassette adapters, which is a pretty funny mish-mash of technology, if you ask me :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

the matrix screensaver

thanks for remembering this. now i remember it too, so i just downloaded it again :allears:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

after dark

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://youtu.be/O7nn4IXCeJc

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

https://www.bryanbraun.com/after-dark-css/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

after dark games

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

there's also bluetooth cassette adapters, which is a pretty funny mish-mash of technology, if you ask me :)

wtf lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i always thought those would be rad if they'd put a tiny little generator in it powered off the capstan drive to keep it charged forever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Uh excuse me this is the funny tech poo poo thread, not the awesome tech poo poo thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

Uh excuse me this is the funny tech poo poo thread, not the awesome tech poo poo thread.

you bet your head!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

i always thought those would be rad if they'd put a tiny little generator in it powered off the capstan drive to keep it charged forever

and if the antenna was more concealed, this would fukken own

wish my car deck was this cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some day i'll buy an 80s car and will put my white whale head unit in

yeah, it has shortwave. and that keypad flips out

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
whoah, that's sick

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
was the hobbyist market that big at some point or was that made for some kind of emergency services sector, etc. ?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

polyester concept posted:

and if the antenna was more concealed, this would fukken own

wish my car deck was this cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0

this is ridiculous, i love it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

the tape player in my first car ran a little bit too fast, maybe ten percent or so

to this day, the songs that i had on my mixtapes back then still sound like they're dragging a little when played at the correct speed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

was the hobbyist market that big at some point or was that made for some kind of emergency services sector, etc. ?

shortwave was more of a thing in markets besides america. a number of european cars i've driven have had shortwave receivers in the oem sound system.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah shortwave was loving huge in europe, middle east and asia. Still kiiiiiinda is though of course there's still 10% of the activity there was in say, 1970-1995 or so.

here in america it's super dire. they only let religious broadcasters on except for 1 or 2 stations that run a mixed format - only 80% preachers! but they have a couple ok shows in the remaining airtime.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i grew up in northern canada and the only stations we got were strictly local, i imagine in the 70s and 80s you couldn't tune to a dead channel in those countries

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

polyester concept posted:

i grew up in northern canada and the only stations we got were strictly local, i imagine in the 70s and 80s you couldn't tune to a dead channel in those countries

yeah. thinking about this always reminds me how cincinnati’s wlw transmitted at up to 500kW in the 30s, and was able to compete with national radio networks as a result, with just their single station. caused a lot of interference in toronto.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

"Blues, Jazz, Lord of the Rings music, as well as current pop, All sounds great."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heavy_D posted:

"Blues, Jazz, Lord of the Rings music, as well as current pop, All sounds great."

everything else sounds like absolute poo poo!! do not attempt, nothing sacred is stored here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mediaphage posted:

yeah. thinking about this always reminds me how cincinnati’s wlw transmitted at up to 500kW in the 30s, and was able to compete with national radio networks as a result, with just their single station. caused a lot of interference in toronto.

WLW was amazing. they basically just kept saying "haha we're gonna install a bigger transmitter" over and over and FCC was like "as long as it's grounded and you're being safe that's ok sweetie" until every piece of metal in a 20 mile radius would receive their transmissions

they had a cooling pond

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

WLW was amazing. they basically just kept saying "haha we're gonna install a bigger transmitter" over and over and FCC was like "as long as it's grounded and you're being safe that's ok sweetie" until every piece of metal in a 20 mile radius would receive their transmissions

they had a cooling pond

iirc texas could easily receive their broadcasts even during the day

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mediaphage posted:

iirc texas could easily receive their broadcasts even during the day

the class a clear channels turn up to like 100kW at night from 50 during the day.

500kW just all the time seems like a lot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the class a clear channels turn up to like 100kW at night from 50 during the day.

500kW just all the time seems like a lot

yea they were the only station ever licensed to go that high and it was eventually revoked outside of experiments

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

NTSC/PAL/SECAM. apparently NTSC only stopped being used for broadcasts at the end of last month lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

NTSC/PAL/SECAM. apparently NTSC only stopped being used for broadcasts at the end of last month lol

end of an era.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just means i can get some sick decommed ntsc gear for ham tv

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

just means i can get some sick decommed ntsc gear for ham tv

hell yeah, tuning in to channel 290.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

what the heck?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
was real big in the 80s and 90s

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. is that some religious nut broadcasting from his compound?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
don't doxx bizarro undevorced jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

lol. is that some religious nut broadcasting from his compound?

nope. we're not allowed to "broadcast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

What's used now?