Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

fins posted:

Wherever I buy from, it's a giant pain in the rear end to actually get it to the shop. There are 5, maybe 6 working lathes in my entire country. Only CNC machine is a Tormach 1100, although I get free time on it in exchange for maintenance. Gotta wait for someone to go bankrupt or die to get a 2nd hand one. Same for mills. One of the downsides of living in a small caribbean island! Had to give up on that awesome Hurco, Shipping, duties, and taxes on shipping make it an insane proposition even before the whole "how is it going to get inside the building" issue. No big machines means no decent riggers around.

Although one more beer and that "buy it now" button might get clicked anyway...
I can think of more than 5 or 6 people I know who have mills or lathes in their basements.

Anyway start stockpiling chain and rigid conduit and when the day comes to play amateur millwright you will be ready. Also a concrete saw solves the will it fit in the door problem if time is an issue.

I cant do a plug in, two of the raised beds are about 200-250 ft from the closest outlet. I have to put the generator in the truck to run anything corded out there and then getting another Mantis starts looking better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Going back to power tool drm chat, I wanted to show the future of power tools, the Robbox xDrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Cmv4-mgBs

https://ks.robboxtools.com

successfully kickstarted and indiegogo'd. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xdrill/xdrill-the-drill-reimagined

admittedly some nice features. but for that price i could get a regular drill, a laser level, and a roll of tape and cover 90% of it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Why'd they put a screen where the hammer's supposed to be?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It'd be easy to slag this thing, but drat, they are asking for it. Tech guys coming up with an expensive solution for a non-existent or already solved problem. Including an app and always-on connectivity because it's perfectly sensible for your drill to stop working when the servers inevitably shut down.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Brute Squad posted:

Going back to power tool drm chat, I wanted to show the future of power tools, the Robbox xDrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Cmv4-mgBs

https://ks.robboxtools.com

successfully kickstarted and indiegogo'd. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xdrill/xdrill-the-drill-reimagined

admittedly some nice features. but for that price i could get a regular drill, a laser level, and a roll of tape and cover 90% of it.

what unvarnished techbro horse poo poo. :corsair:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Techbros have a lot of money and fantasize about being work-with-your-hands craftspeople all the time. Might as well try to scam 'em out of their considerable disposable income with high-priced gadgets.

The only problem is that this means that your stupid "smart tool" startup is competing with Festool.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Mr. Mambold posted:

Look at the runout on that chuck!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
They'll never be able to simulate an old carpenter grabbing your drill to straighten out your grip.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

Look at the runout on that chuck!

That was the first thing I noticed in the video. It's not even a good tool to begin with, then they pasted all that fairly useless bullshit onto it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Motronic posted:

That was the first thing I noticed in the video. It's not even a good tool to begin with, then they pasted all that fairly useless bullshit onto it.

But it's twentyone volts!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, and basically everything a tech idiot who's never actually needed to use a drill before would think makes a really "professional" one.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I assume they were smart enough to get patents on the various sensors, so they can actually make real money licensing them to TTI or somebody that actually knows how to make power tools.

The laser distance measurer looks way to finicky. Anyone that's used one, or anyone that knows basic geometry, knows that the measurement off the wall has to be exactly 90 degrees or you'll get some error. Enough error to easily miss the 1.5" edge of a stud.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Needs to have some kind of robotic frame that vacu-sucks itself to the wall, crawls around to the right spots, and makes holes in a meticulously preplanned pattern that can only be laid out in their proprietary software/accompanying app.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
If that drill can't make a killer espresso then I'm only buying one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Speaking of tools I banged out my first copper tool yesterday. Here is my incredibly ugly scoop knife:

It actually works great despite being the shabbiest looking thing ever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Acid Reflux posted:

Needs to have some kind of robotic frame that vacu-sucks itself to the wall, crawls around to the right spots, and makes holes in a meticulously preplanned pattern that can only be laid out in their proprietary software/accompanying app.

:hmmyes: pretty much that but it's open source:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Izzy Swan (YouTube maker) just teased a vacuum drill press that uses the Grabo. Pretty neat stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Techbros have a lot of money and fantasize about being work-with-your-hands craftspeople all the time. Might as well try to scam 'em out of their considerable disposable income with high-priced gadgets.

The only problem is that this means that your stupid "smart tool" startup is competing with Festool.

It's highly-concentrated techbro arrogance. Let's disrupt this $32B power tool market, which is perhaps the least automatable market, with an app! You know, the same kind of app that Milwaukee had in 2016.

As if the engineers at Bosch, Stanley Black and Decker, and the other various megacorps with several brands are not all trying desperately to out-do each other and peel off market share. I feel like they have a really good idea of who their customers actually are and how their customers use the tools, and every year they're screaming loudly about their newest Malibu Stacy With New Hat innovations. (compact version of existing tool, small profile battery, large capacity battery, 15% more powerful motor, etc.) Despite becoming extremely cheap and ubiquitous on consumer gadgets, none of the big names have wanted to put a touchscreen on a drill. Certainly not because it's a dumb idea, it's just that they must not have thought of it!

Acid Reflux posted:

An app-connected suction robot probably has some more lucrative, uhh, non-construction uses. :roboluv:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Trabant posted:

:hmmyes: pretty much that but it's open source:

I love that thing. Any equipment that has bricks designed into it is all right by me.

canyoneer posted:

An app-connected suction robot probably has some more lucrative, uhh, non-construction uses. :roboluv:
There's definitely still gonna be some drillin' goin' on! :quagmire:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Massive runout on the chuck. It's so obvious in the video, it's casual arrogance that their target market had no need to do things like "drill neat and clean holes"

I'm the feature of "has touchscreen"

No I'm the time you spend loving with an app or the tiny screen on the back to load the presets before you can use any of the features [not shown].

This drill is for drilling holes in walls to mount pictures. How many of those features are any use for driving screws or mixing paint or using it outdoors?

That's a sub- Harbor Freight grade drill. This thing cost 200+ bucks on Kickstarter and they're planning on retailing them for 300 bucks? At that price you're competing with (say) the DeWalt DCD999 which has an easily selectable clutch, a hammer drill, a vastly superior chuck, and if used with a 60v flexvolt battery, an absolute fuckton of power.

God bless you for posting this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I also love the call-out on the Ikea FIXA screw and drywall anchor set.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fixa-260-piece-screw-and-plug-set-00169249/

I say drywall anchor, because I've used those in many apartments and been satisfied with them for that purpose but would never trust those little boogers on concrete or brick like they say.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

tells you all you need to know really. The xDrill teams.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The side-by-side comparison image made me lol:

Because this white with cheap looking gold spraypaint accents drill totally compares to a well-loved Bosch SDS hammer drill. One is a tool that a contractor used daily to set anchors in concrete, and the other looks like something you'd find in the discount isle at Walmart that would strain trying to drive a screw into a pine board.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I also love the call-out on the Ikea FIXA screw and drywall anchor set.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fixa-260-piece-screw-and-plug-set-00169249/

I say drywall anchor, because I've used those in many apartments and been satisfied with them for that purpose but would never trust those little boogers on concrete or brick like they say.

Concrete and brick are easymode for anchors. They will definitely hold more in either of those than in drywall.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

Concrete and brick are easymode for anchors. They will definitely hold more in either of those than in drywall.

Good to know. I've never had internal concrete or brick to use it on, so all the anchoring in brick and concrete I've done has been external applications where I needed a really stout hold.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Good to know. I've never had internal concrete or brick to use it on, so all the anchoring in brick and concrete I've done has been external applications where I needed a really stout hold.

All those anchors have to do in brick/concrete is fill up a hole that was drilled small enough so that the screw expands the anchor enough to create a night tight interference fit. And you typically have full depth of the anchor to do that in those things, as opposed to 1/2 or 3/4" of crumbly drywall being held together with paper on both sides.

I'm still a big fan of tapcons for masonry. But if one rips out or the block as a bit of a crumble those anchors usually save the day. If you've overdrilled a bit of epoxy/construction adhesive/whatever similar you've got put in the hole before you put the anchor in works wonders.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Have a question because I know nothing about this stuff.

Bought a estwing hammer on Amazon and regretting it because I think it looks fake compared to the other estwings I saw at Home Depot (they were out of the one I wanted) and images online. It doesn’t have the yellow estwing on the handle.

It’s got tons of little bumps along the whole surface of the hammer and the grip feels kinda crappy and looks cut bad, plus it looks different from all the product images I’m finding.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks about like mine? The nail puller end maybe looks funny-it could be factory seconds or something that someone is passing off on Amazon, the worlds largest seller of counterfeit merchandise.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It seems like Estwing's QC hasn't been the greatest in recent years, likely just cost-cutting. Last year I picked up one of their hatchets (you know the one) just to throw in the bag for camping and it's... very obviously not as good as an older one made about twenty years ago. Don't get me wrong: it cleaned up well and I'm happy to have it for :20bux: or whatever, but just like your hammer, it won't be winning any beauty contests.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Literally A Person posted:

Speaking of tools I banged out my first copper tool yesterday. Here is my incredibly ugly scoop knife:

It actually works great despite being the shabbiest looking thing ever.

Hell yeah person

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

A couple months back I got the Giraffe brand retractable hose reel.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VLRC9D

It's been great, but now my wife has yanked it out past the stop and it won't retract. I'm gonna open it up and see if I can re-seat the spring. But ugh. Just asking for good vibes from fellow tool users.

E: It is not user serviceable. The cassette inside is attached to the case in some way that isn't accessible without opening the case. We'll see how the warranty goes.

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 11, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sous Videodrome posted:

A couple months back I got the Giraffe brand retractable hose reel.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VLRC9D

It's been great, but now my wife has yanked it out past the stop and it won't retract. I'm gonna open it up and see if I can re-seat the spring. But ugh. Just asking for good vibes from fellow tool users.

E: It is not user serviceable. The cassette inside is attached to the case in some way that isn't accessible without opening the case. We'll see how the warranty goes.

Good luck, please update with how the warranty goes (and how long is the warranty?). Presumably not being able to replace the hose is a big weak point to a $190 hose reel - at least for me hoses are always being pieces of poo poo and I'd hate for the hose to fail on something like that.

edit: at least I assume you can't replace the hose if you can't open it up to re-seat the hose in the reeling mechanism

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Brute Squad posted:

tells you all you need to know really. The xDrill teams.
So is it the size of the marketing team vs the four people who actually do any technical work or is it that none of them look like the type who have ever done much more than hang a picture or put together Ikea furniture. They they don't seem like the type you would encounter on a job site unless there was a tour going on.

Has anyone found the same drill on alibaba yet? This is giving me freedom phone vibes.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

So is it the size of the marketing team vs the four people who actually do any technical work or is it that none of them look like the type who have ever done much more than hang a picture or put together Ikea furniture. They they don't seem like the type you would encounter on a job site unless there was a tour going on.

the first one imho

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We already have smart drills, I took this pic at a Lowes more than 4 years ago!

(they do not sell these products anymore)

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 12, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wish I just had a magical app that would locate my goddamn favourite pair of vice grips! :argh:

They've gotta be somewhere incredibly stupid, like underneath a drawer or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Johnny Truant posted:

Wish I just had a magical app that would locate my goddamn favourite pair of vice grips! :argh:

They've gotta be somewhere incredibly stupid, like underneath a drawer or something.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vice+grips&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Johnny Truant posted:

Zip-tie an AirTag to them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Knock-off Vise-Grips are a whole new level of hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Say what you will about Kreg and their products but their big wide vice grip style wood clamps are loving amazing.