Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Timby posted:

I believe it's been confirmed that Feyd is not in Part 1.
But who's playing him though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hayden Christensen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Henry zabrowski

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

Feyd

Martman posted:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Timby posted:

I believe it's been confirmed that Feyd is not in Part 1.

That's ridiculous if true.

I saw one report that Tye Sheridan was temporarily listed before it was quickly removed from IMDB. I've seen other speculation that they are trying to keep it under tight wraps. With Sting playing him in one rendition.....and Mick Jagger supposedly set to play him in the 70's Jodorowski version.....that they want it to be a surprise.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I saw one report that Tye Sheridan was temporarily listed before it was quickly removed from IMDB. I've seen other speculation that they are trying to keep it under tight wraps. With Sting playing him in one rendition.....and Mick Jagger supposedly set to play him in the 70's Jodorowski version.....that they want it to be a surprise.

I've heard in reports from people who have screenings that Feyd is not in the movie

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Why is it ridiculous? It’s a 2.5 hour movie, they can’t adapt the first half of the book line by line. The best way to ensure a bad movie is to be super orthodox about adapting it “perfectly”.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

Why is it ridiculous? It’s a 2.5 hour movie, they can’t adapt the first half of the book line by line. The best way to ensure a bad movie is to be super orthodox about adapting it “perfectly”.

Feyd is a pretty central character to the Harkonnen side of the story. He's the Baron's heir and a large part of the plan devised in the first part of the book. I'd think that Rabban would be the one who could be absent for the first movie.....not that it really makes sense for either to be.

I'm I off base here?

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 7, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Cacator posted:

I've heard in reports from people who have screenings that Feyd is not in the movie

Jason Momoa has also said that he thinks the entire 4-6 hours should be released rather than have it trimmed down. Possible that the screening isn't the final cut?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
feyd should be played by the same actor as shaddam, irulan and alia

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Jason Momoa has also said that he thinks the entire 4-6 hours should be released rather than have it trimmed down. Possible that the screening isn't the final cut?

gently caress the Snyder cut nonsense, give me this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!
a real adaptation of dune for our time should definitely play up the appeal of the fremen way of life where simplicity and connection to nature has both mystical meanings based on the place of humanity in their environment and scientific meaning in their long term ecological terraforming project

so yeah give us like two solid hours of paul and jessica being fremen

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Martman posted:

I think it's going to be Timothée Chalamet with a wig

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
They are going to resurrect Miguel Ferrer to be Feyd.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've started to think maybe the hardest part of adapting Dune is the action. So much of the imagery requires epic scale, insane visuals, etc., but then you get to the way fights work and everything turns into a kung-fu scene where multiple characters are making decisions in a tenth of a second and someone kicks someone so hard that they die instantly. Honestly this is the thing I'm most worried about with Villeneuve's version... has he ever really tackled a fight scene like this? The brief glimpses of melee combat we've seen in the trailers have felt kind of basic to me, and I think it will lose a lot if the punching and sword fighting feels generic and sterile rather than visceral and crucial to revealing the way the characters think.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Martman posted:

I've started to think maybe the hardest part of adapting Dune is the action. So much of the imagery requires epic scale, insane visuals, etc., but then you get to the way fights work and everything turns into a kung-fu scene where multiple characters are making decisions in a tenth of a second and someone kicks someone so hard that they die instantly. Honestly this is the thing I'm most worried about with Villeneuve's version... has he ever really tackled a fight scene like this? The brief glimpses of melee combat we've seen in the trailers have felt kind of basic to me, and I think it will lose a lot if the punching and sword fighting feels generic and sterile rather than visceral and crucial to revealing the way the characters think.

Momoa has stated that his action choreography is more like ballet than the usual "fight" scene.

Edit: Have you ever seen Sicario?

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 8, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Martman posted:

so you're saying they need to borrow from anime to adapt this

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Feyd is a pretty central character to the Harkonnen side of the story. He's the Baron's heir and a large part of the plan devised in the first part of the book. I'd think that Rabban would be the one who could be absent for the first movie.....not that it really makes sense for either to be.

I'm I off base here?

He really doesnt become a focal point till the second book.It's not an orthodox approach to adapt the book leaving Feyd outside the first movie.But the second book its really empty compared to the desnsity of things that happen in the first part.Making the second movie about the Harkonnens and their plans for Arrakis and Imperium is a decent choice.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Idk why no ones made the Jodorowski version as anime yet

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Unironically... kinda? I do wonder if animation would be the best medium to capture the wildly different requirements of Dune stuff.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1424091889997856776?s=19

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'm I off base here?

Feyd appears in a single scene at the beginning of the book where the Baron explains the plan to him, then disappears until his birthday party on page 330.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

bawfuls posted:

It is notoriously difficult to start/get into because of the way he throws you into the jargon and the world. Obviously hasn’t stopped millions from reading it but it is nonetheless

I played the Westwood Studios game Dune 2000 when I was a kid, and it had all the art direction from the Lynch movie combined with Command and Conquer gameplay and full motion video briefings with a bunch of the same actors.

I had zero trouble reading Dune after I played that game haha

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

hump day bitches! posted:

He really doesnt become a focal point till the second book.It's not an orthodox approach to adapt the book leaving Feyd outside the first movie.But the second book its really empty compared to the desnsity of things that happen in the first part.Making the second movie about the Harkonnens and their plans for Arrakis and Imperium is a decent choice.

Assuming Part 2 is made, I'd agree with you that this is a great way to do it. Keeping in mind what we know about Part 1, it seems like we're going to see the Harkonnens really wreck poo poo and basically win at the conclusion of the film. I'm super stoked to see them show us all that insane stuff going on with them once they've established what villains they are

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Just wish they wouldn't pronounce it Harka-Nin. It sounds soft af. HarKONEN is way better. (It's also how Frank said it.)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

TerminalSaint posted:

Feyd appears in a single scene at the beginning of the book where the Baron explains the plan to him, then disappears until his birthday party on page 330.

Guess it's been a while since I've read the book.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

phasmid posted:

Just wish they wouldn't pronounce it Harka-Nin. It sounds soft af. HarKONEN is way better. (It's also how Frank said it.)

Maybe it’ll be like “Han Solo” or the “Millennium Falcon” and different actors will pronounce it differently.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Idk why no ones made the Jodorowski version as anime yet

A few years ago Ari Folman, who did The Congress and Waltz with Bashir, talked about trying to convince Jodorowsky to let him do an animated version. But given that was a few years ago I'm guessing nothing came from it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Chairman Capone posted:

A few years ago Ari Folman, who did The Congress and Waltz with Bashir, talked about trying to convince Jodorowsky to let him do an animated version. But given that was a few years ago I'm guessing nothing came from it.

Might as well ask if they could make an animated version of The Incal if they're going to ask for anything. (Yes, I know there was a sizzle reel for it. And it's a crying shame we didn't get a film or three out of it.)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/geewhiz_wow/status/1424809644044730374

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm gonna start reading Children of Dune, oh boy! I can't wait to read the further character development of Alia, one of my favorite characters!

Oh.

Oh no.

Oh, Frank, why??

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

you are too late. i have become the Universal Man.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vincent posted:

I'm gonna start reading Children of Dune, oh boy! I can't wait to read the further character development of Alia, one of my favorite characters!

Oh.

Oh no.

Oh, Frank, why??

He told you there were no good guys. What, did you disbelieve him?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hell, he was calling her Alia the Kinfe back in the first book, ehat did you expect?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'd watch this version of Jodo Dune.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Hell, he was calling her Alia the Kinfe back in the first book, ehat did you expect?

That it was a sick nickname.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

David D. Davidson posted:

St. Alia of The Knife

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Vincent posted:

Oh.

Oh no.

Oh, Frank, why??

What happens to her? Or what does she do? I can't remember.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

deoju posted:

What happens to her? Or what does she do? I can't remember.

Becomes possessed by the Baron as the result of her undergoing spice agony in the womb, and kills herself in a moment of clarity.

Frank Herbert had a lot of trouble writing women who weren't Lady Jessica. He strongly idealized other women (saving him from misogyny through an ultimately essentialist conception of women as morally superior to men), making me suspect that Jessica is on some level a pastiche of his mother and his wife. Or more broadly, of women in his life he was able to conceptualize as equals without putting them on a pedestal.

e: Actually, thinking of the sheer variety of interacting Lady Jessicas in the later (post God Emperor) books, and there being a few whole books with only one male PoV character in an environment dominated by these powerful women, I kind of suspect Herbert was raised in a similar environment.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, I'm kinda relieved by that actually.

I was afraid it was 'dirty old man writes a tweenage girl to be overly sexual' cringey poo poo.