Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in the US we settled on ATSC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

was real big in the 80s and 90s

was it tho?

i talked to cosmonauts on mir when it flew over once using the ham radio down the street and of my sample size of knowing one ham i am not sure “popular” is being used correctly here.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 10, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

was it tho?

i talked to cosmonauts on mir when it flew over once using the ham radio down the street and of my sample size of knowing one ham i am not sure “popular” is being used correctly here.

yeah, in the shuttle days it was really common for hams who had both a 430 mhz ham TV setup and a TVRO 8-footer to tune into the shuttle video feeds that nasa would put up on the geosync birds, and then retransmit them to the town on a channel people could tune into on a regular cable tuner. they actually got a waiver on the 'no broadcasting' rule for NASA-originated transmissions just cause everybody loved the shuttle so much

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Built in FM radio support on mobile devices.

i always wanted this unironically. and still do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you'd think iheartradio would have been all about those but they were part of the lobbying group that tried real hard to disable the FM tuner chips on phones

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

you'd think iheartradio would have been all about those but they were part of the lobbying group that tried real hard to disable the FM tuner chips on phones

terrible. was it out of fear of recording capability? i feel like it was something else, but that seems like a plausible angle for them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

terrible. was it out of fear of recording capability? i feel like it was something else, but that seems like a plausible angle for them

streams are easy to track and get metrics and general listener data on. radio is still nielsen box type poo poo.

remember, they're not in the business of playing music, they're in the business of selling ads

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah i know some people involved in the emmis / nextradio thing and boy apple does not want to enable the fm radio (iirc they don’t include them in their own custom designs either so anything like a4 or later doesn’t even have them).

samsung is turning them on in future US phones I guess, so they’ve won something there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

streams are easy to track and get metrics and general listener data on. radio is still nielsen box type poo poo.

remember, they're not in the business of playing music, they're in the business of selling ads

i always wondered why that was and i should have known.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah, they were pushing online streaming then, doy. i think that shift pushed me into podcasts and audiobooks and off radio at the time

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

oh yeah i know some people involved in the emmis / nextradio thing and boy apple does not want to enable the fm radio (iirc they don’t include them in their own custom designs either so anything like a4 or later doesn’t even have them).

samsung is turning them on in future US phones I guess, so they’ve won something there.

ironically, one of the last fm devices I carried regularly was the ipod remote, which added a fm tuner app as an option

well, the last was probably the n800, but that was an outlier for many features at the time

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the zune had fm

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, in the shuttle days it was really common for hams who had both a 430 mhz ham TV setup and a TVRO 8-footer to tune into the shuttle video feeds that nasa would put up on the geosync birds, and then retransmit them to the town on a channel people could tune into on a regular cable tuner. they actually got a waiver on the 'no broadcasting' rule for NASA-originated transmissions just cause everybody loved the shuttle so much

do hams still talk to ISS?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do hams still talk to ISS?

All the time. They actually just installed a voice repeater this year so there's a 50 watt voice fireball repeater that covers like a quarter of the US for 10 minutes at a time.

They do one way slow scan TV events too, just this last weekend they had one.

they run a digital APRS station too so you can send a little "hi everybody!" data packet up there and it'll pop up on like 100 different radios. basically the Yo of radio

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
my grandpa can confirm that WLW could be heard emanating from the barb wire fences on our farm in Cincinnati back in the day. We were probably 10-15 miles from the tower, maybe?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

everything else sounds like absolute poo poo!! do not attempt, nothing sacred is stored here.

gonna label my old mix CDs of Napster ripped low nitrate mp3s in a box saying "this is not a place of honour, no tunes of value are buried here"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when someone mentions 69 and then someone else says "nice"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

All the time. They actually just installed a voice repeater this year so there's a 50 watt voice fireball repeater that covers like a quarter of the US for 10 minutes at a time.

They do one way slow scan TV events too, just this last weekend they had one.

they run a digital APRS station too so you can send a little "hi everybody!" data packet up there and it'll pop up on like 100 different radios. basically the Yo of radio

this is cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the iss is way bigger than I thought it’d be

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the iss is way bigger than I thought it’d be

don't be fooled, it's just a zoom background

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Progressive JPEG posted:

when someone mentions 69 and then someone else says "nice"

:nice:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Trillian, which apparently is still around?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

the manner in which warez was traded on AOL

someone realized an AOL email box was free unlimited 1995 cloud storage, you just email the file to yourself with the file as an attachment

want to share the file? just forward the email. on AOL’s end they deduplicated the attachment so instant file transfer.

which then beget chat rooms where people ran file sharing bots that would simply forward you hundreds of emails full of files from their “archive”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol that owns

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also, the practice of downloading warez through irc bots

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

polyester concept posted:

and if the antenna was more concealed, this would fukken own

wish my car deck was this cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0
oh my god this owns

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

kitten smoothie posted:

someone realized an AOL email box was free unlimited 1995 cloud storage, you just email the file to yourself with the file as an attachment

want to share the file? just forward the email. on AOL’s end they deduplicated the attachment so instant file transfer.

which then beget chat rooms where people ran file sharing bots that would simply forward you hundreds of emails full of files from their “archive”

that's somewhat similar to todays Google drive cloning. it just involves more accounts.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

still a thing for ebooks

my current phone came with an fm tuner and wireless earbuds

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

people who say warez like Juarez

also saying the word warez out loud for any reason

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

va-rets

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PILUKIHVEJÄ JA VARETSII

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

/msg Xx-W4r3zB0T_420-xX xdcc send #69

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

axolotl farmer posted:

/msg Xx-W4r3zB0T_420-xX xdcc send #69

ah, memories

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

greg the peanut posted:

Trillian, which apparently is still around?

digsby, which was like trillium but they burned goodwill by suddenly bundling crapware browser bars in their installers

pcworld posted:

If you're not careful during the installation process, you may end up with a lot of software on your PC without realizing it. During installation at defaults, Digsby install a half dozen pieces of software on your PC, including the Yahoo Toolbar and the NetFreeze Assistant on your PC. So if you don't want them installed, make sure to click Decline each andy every time. Also, it will attempt to change your search page to My.Freeze.com, and install various icons on your desktop that links to sponsor unless you uncheck those options during installation. In addition, in order to install it, you must use the InstallIQ installer, which some people have called adware.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

people who say warez like Juarez

also saying the word warez out loud for any reason

idk I know it's wrong but "call of warez" has a ring to it

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

well you just solved a 27 year old mystery for me. i went over to a friend's house as a kid, and his older brother was playing DOOM II. he explained that you could just download the game from aol.

so i told my folks that you could get software for free on aol, and they were like... 'uhhhhhhh, sure kid.' so i tried to prove them wrong by searching aol's weird file hosting system, but of course, there was only fan art and other bullshit for DOOM.

i always wondered how that was set up back then

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

digsby, which was like trillium but they burned goodwill by suddenly bundling crapware browser bars in their installers
pidgin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

BLOBby Newmark posted:

still a thing for ebooks

my non tech fluent gf asked me to crack mirc on her laptop for this exact reason