Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Alhazred posted:

Those friends are also doing their best to enable his worst tendencies. He was happy and functional as a beat cop until they dragged him into a murder case.

drat, you've got a point here.

One reason this show is a little depressing to me is that every single character is seriously flawed in some way, and I get the sense that the reality is even worse than depicted. It shreds any remaining faith I had in policing, that's for sure.

Well, maybe Beadie is alright. She's pretty level headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can we at least agree that Clark Johnson is great and he did a great job directing as well as acting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Can we at least agree that Clark Johnson is great and he did a great job directing as well as acting.

Oh yeah, I have nothing bad to say about the acting in season 5; even the actor who played Rich Whiteman or whatever the newspaper boss's name was played the part perfectly well, it was just some of the characters that could have used a little more time in the oven.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

werdnam posted:

Well, maybe Beadie is alright. She's pretty level headed.

I’d be interested to know how David would change these characters in 2020, post-Blue Lives Matter. Would Beadie be a MAGA gal who rocks a Thin Grey Line bumper sticker? Etc etc.

It really is jarring to think of how much police culture has hardened and militarized since The Wire was made. A sub-plot could be jarheads coming into police the city post-Iraq, cops living outside of the city (although I think that gets a nod at some point).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
McNulty is definitely some kind of libertarian

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's shown he pays no attention to politics and doesn't vote because the people at the top don't understand what's going on anyway.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Orange Devil posted:

It's shown he pays no attention to politics and doesn't vote because the people at the top don't understand what's going on anyway.

Oh man, you just reminded me how awkward that was when Jimmy tried to turn the booty call political consultant situation into an actual relationship. That dinner conversation was cringe worthy. And a little sad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

werdnam posted:

Oh man, you just reminded me how awkward that was when Jimmy tried to turn the booty call political consultant situation into an actual relationship. That dinner conversation was cringe worthy. And a little sad.

It was satisfying at least to see Jimmy try to show off his one thing that he's good at to someone outside of the cop world and completely fail to impress them. He has the one thing going for him, and it completely sucks the wind out of his sails when it does nothing.

"I do a lot of major cases....a lot of people can't do what we do"

"Oh...*quietly eats a salad*"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DasNeonLicht posted:

The season five serial killer arc was the one point of the show that stretched credulity a little bit, I don't know — maybe something like that could really happen.

I think that description of the "suspect" from the profiler almost breaks the fourth wall it's so meta.

milking homicides and organizing media circuses for funding is absolutely a thing cops do all the time, it's just anachronistic watching someone we've followed for years carry it out when he hasn't 'earned' it through his characterization

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

God Hole posted:

milking homicides and organizing media circuses for funding is absolutely a thing cops do all the time, it's just anachronistic watching someone we've followed for years carry it out when he hasn't 'earned' it through his characterization

yeah, I guess just like — I didn't buy that McNulty was that unhinged, or that he wouldn't have been immediately reported and fired, but I am probably a bit naive — it just didn't seem to fit with four seasons of what I thought was a pretty dry (in a good way) or hyperreal police procedural

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the most unrealistic thing is that it wasnt just 100% graft from the start

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the wire is weird in that the rank and file while not shown as angels, were presented as weirdly earnest

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The scene where Carcetti gets the news is such an all-timer. Basically makes the whole plot worth it IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpG92dsx1A

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah I really dislike that plot but carcetti literally speechless makes up for a lot of it

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Reg E Cathey is so good

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zenguitarman posted:

Reg E Cathey is so good

:hmmyes:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also like the little detail that he didn't vote for carcetti

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
"The sanctity of the voting booth is a cornerstone of democracy."

:lmao:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Hey Norman, you know what I had for dinner last night? Tuna sub. I ate in the car.

When I finish writing my memoirs, that poo poo'll be in there, no doubt.

lmao. Aidan Gillen does an amazing job too

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Newspapers print cops accounts of events verbatim all the time. To this day. Why wouldn’t they buy a serial killer?

I mean 5 is my least favorite but it’s better than most tv.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DasNeonLicht posted:

yeah, I guess just like — I didn't buy that McNulty was that unhinged, or that he wouldn't have been immediately reported and fired, but I am probably a bit naive — it just didn't seem to fit with four seasons of what I thought was a pretty dry (in a good way) or hyperreal police procedural
I thought the serial killer thing worked as just a natural extension of "juking the stats". McNulty tried to juke the stats of random homeless killings/deaths into something that could actually get funding during the budget crisis. All so he and Lester could do real pole-lease work again.

And McNulty's plan wasn't working at all, because no one gave a poo poo until Templeton manufactured his own "News" about the "killer".

And then the whole thing fell apart really quickly once more than (4?) people knew what was happening.

Give the newspaper a few more episodes to flesh out their characters and story like we had for the dockworkers of S2 and I think S5 would have been fine. I feel like S3 has aged more poorly than S5.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Which season gave us Lester asking for the pepper steak?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Which season gave us Lester asking for the pepper steak?

That was five: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXv-1CMcUu4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

That scene alone justifies the season imo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Gotta post this one too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyewqmAKHto

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I really feel Lester's role in season 5 should've been split with at least one other character. He essentially becomes Sherlock Holmes in the last few episodes. At least in earlier seasons he had Prez who was shown to be a crafty detective when not murdering non-whites.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean by the end Lester was the only character I actually cared enough about to see his stuff resolved so splitting it wouldn’t have been ideal for me

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Bubbles?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I forgot about Bubbles so two

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I just got to the episode where McNulty carts the ill homeless man to Washington with false ID, and I'm really disappointed in these characters. Not disappointed in a "man, I know they can do better" way, disappointed in a "I don't buy this anymore" way. Simon *almost* sells it, especially with Lester's "I was impacted by an illegitimate decision, so I am justified to use illegitimate means," but they lost me.

I did enjoy the scene in the newsroom where Jimmy realizes the reporter is making stuff up and calls his bluff by saying that the killer had called the cops, too. The look he gives the reporter ("What, are you going to contradict me?") is great.

I also that the story the guy gets the most praise from Gus on is the one that was 100% real (the interview with the homeless Marine veteran).

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

When does Bodie die? Because I definitely cared about him

His scene with McNulty is the latter's last good scene really

exmachina fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 13, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

exmachina posted:

When does Bodie die? Because I definitely cared about him

His scene with McNulty is the latter's last good scene really

Just after that scene you mentioned, actually. Same episode I think.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
McNulty and Daniels in the elevator is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Joe's increasingly worried face as he realizes Herc worked for the Mayor's office and was now in Major Crimes is even better because as viewers we know that Herc is a giant gently caress-up, but anybody getting this information without that context like Joe is would be like,"Oh gently caress they've got super-cop on the case." :allears:

Especially given he knows Major Crimes were the ones who took down the Barksdale Organization, without knowing it has been hollowed out and left a shadow of its former self.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also loved

Rawls: at least tell me you aren't killing them yourself, McNulty.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Just finished S4 on a rewatch for me and a first watch for my girlfriend, I wasn't the biggest fan of the final season but looking forward to doing it all again.

That prop Joe phonecall is some 5 star poo poo though, when this series hits it's highs they're hard to match.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is especially great knowing how well the actor did the Baltimore accent (the "nepheuu" thing) so authentically. He's got some chops

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Data Graham posted:

This is especially great knowing how well the actor did the Baltimore accent (the "nepheuu" thing) so authentically. He's got some chops

I mean .. the man was born, raised and lived in Baltimore so I doubt he had to reach particularly far to hit the accent. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Season 5 definitely has its warts, the shortened season made everything slightly rushed, I never gave a crap about the journalist storyline and the serial killer stuff was just slightly far fetched enough that it didn’t feel like it matched the verisimilitude of the rest of the series.

However, I thought the street level story was really great and worth the price of admission. Everything with Michael and Dukie, Marlo and his crew and Omar felt earned and a great capstone for their stories. I’ll see how it feels on rewatch though.