Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

all the money being in the hands of just a few people is really tearing this country apart, so we're gonna replace the bad money with good money that even fewer people have, solving the issue once and for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

also love that it takes a different coin for each possible variable involved for some bizarre loving reason, but all of them are completely useless without all the other ones

though admittedly it opens a lot of options for comedy gold, like someone just buying a bunch of x coordinate coins and not selling them so the screen just perpetually looks like it has dead pixel lines, or someone cybersquatting on the entire blue side of the color spectrum so nobody can use anything even approaching blue

lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
how much to make elon's satellite goatse the world

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the thing of course is that by every traditional definition it meets that criteria anyway so the bill doesn't do anything except go "you know, you are in fact a money transmitter so please submit the appropriate paperwork" and this has crypto in conniptions

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hammerite posted:

More than you would think.

But less than you would hope.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Hammerite posted:

probably more than it's worth to have goatse show up on a tiny screen with a webcam pointed at it. you'd get more mileage paying some moldovans to hack a local highway billboard

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

lol it happened again
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1425116565670858757

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
definitely good for Bitcoin

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the good thing about it being decentralised is that if hackers break in to just one part of it, they can steal all the money

wait...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

code is law, that law being fygm

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

good news, nothing of value was lost

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Khorne posted:

does this mean lightning network people-nodes are now brokers too given this line describes exactly what they are doing

omg that is hilarious! Another pitchfork in the dumb-ness haystack of the Lightning Network.

edit:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

A whole lotta “value” stored in some Russian teenagers’ wallet.
lol

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 10, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

infernal machines posted:

that is so much better than the stated plan in every way

not like anyone would be able to tell the difference either. a rare case in which everybody wins!

like ones and zeroes lost in the rain

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

"'good' 'news'", '"'nothing' of 'value'" "'was lost'"'

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
:same:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Aug 9 (Reuters) - Cinema operator AMC Entertainment (AMC.N) will have the technology in place to receive payment in bitcoin by the end of the year as payment for movie tickets and concessions, the company's CEO said on a call discussing its results.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Love to spend rand(0,100000) dollars to see a movie

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

this strikes me as a very bad sign for the future of their business

the meme investors probably love it, of course, but courting their support feels supremely desperate

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

giving figurative [and maybe literal given the look of that vegas party] handjobs to meme investors is amc's core business right now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

giving figurative [and maybe literal given the look of that vegas party] handjobs to meme investors is amc's core business right now

amc stock is sitting way above where it was, but pretty :flaccid: right now. they're probably looking at other companies that basically turned their stock into synthetic crypto plays by somehow hitching themselves to bitcoin and want to get in on that action

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

polyfool

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

going to be fun being a cinema that has to comply with kyc

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

kw0134 posted:

the thing of course is that by every traditional definition it meets that criteria anyway so the bill doesn't do anything except go "you know, you are in fact a money transmitter so please submit the appropriate paperwork" and this has crypto in conniptions

a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to be around a reading of the law that assumes every single network node is a money transmitter which seems wrong to me but IDK I'm not a treasury secretary

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
work "innovation" group is having some blockchain thing at the end of the month, so I signed up. going to see how much heckling I can do.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Love to address the people who stole oodles from me with a stern finger wagging, begging them to come "work something out":

https://twitter.com/PolyNetwork2/status/1425123153009803267

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the most hilarious outcome here would be the thieves posting a video of themselves deleting the files or smashing a thumb drive with the only copies

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DominoKitten posted:

Love to address the people who stole oodles from me with a stern finger wagging, begging them to come "work something out":

"wow, it's like a record how much you stole! definitely better give it back!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

has anyone said "more like fart contracts" yet

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shame Boy posted:

has anyone said "more like fart contracts" yet

It's shart contracts op hth

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The_Franz posted:

the most hilarious outcome here would be the thieves posting a video of themselves deleting the files or smashing a thumb drive with the only copies

The hacker seems very much into trolling, at least:

https://twitter.com/sabotagebeats/status/1425137162199076867

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ha-ha, you really got me, well done, really impressive. But jokes aside, can you give me my watch back? It's not actually mine.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to be around a reading of the law that assumes every single network node is a money transmitter which seems wrong to me but IDK I'm not a treasury secretary

i'm not sure. the clear intent of congress is just to apply this to exchanges, and regulators will probably follow that intent for at least a while and not try to impose these requirements on anyone else. but if regulators wanted to read it expansively? the definition is "any person who (for consideration) is responsible for regularly providing any service effectuating transfers of digital assets on behalf of another person". i think wallet makers clearly aren't covered by that because they don't themselves provide an actively-involved service. i think people running nodes that just passively validate the blockchain clearly aren't covered by that because they don't themselves effectuate the transfer. but if you run a node that propagates someone else's transactions to miners, or if you mine a block with someone else's transactions, or if you're a lightning network middleman that connects other people, then i dunno, i think you might be providing a service that effectuates transfers of digital assets on behalf of other people

it's not like the present technical impossibility of satisfying these reporting requirements is some sort of legal defense against the charge of failing to satisfy them. if e-trade had a policy of setting its trading records on fire as soon as they settled, it would be technically impossible for them to satisfy reporting requirements, but that wouldn't give them a free pass: their policies would be willfully putting them in massive non-compliance with regulations, and they would be vulnerable to major civil and even criminal penalties

if congress just wants to establish roughly the current cash/securities regulatory regime for crypto then they should probably define "broker" more narrowly, maybe based around providing accounts denominated in digital assets or something like that

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

right, if regulators want to read it broadly...there's nothing prima facie that says they can't. it's hard to argue that if you're mining and actually submitting blocks to be included on the chain, which to remind everyone is the supposed justification for burning an acre of rainforest per block, then you're by your own admission "transmitting money". and it looks real loving bad if your philosophical goal was "well those pesky government regulations don't affect us!" which often ends up being "yeah, watch me," to the likes of the sec.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

DominoKitten posted:

if only they'd done some kyc maybe they'd know who has the money lol

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

rjmccall posted:

if you run a node that propagates someone else's transactions to miners, or if you mine a block with someone else's transactions, or if you're a lightning network middleman that connects other people, then i dunno, i think you might be providing a service that effectuates transfers of digital assets on behalf of other people

and in the LN and mining cases, you are literally being paid by the person to process their transaction

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

EorayMel posted:

It's shart contracts op hth

it's actually S-M-R-T i mean S-M-A-R-T contracts

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1425193106950041600

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm not able to connect the dots here.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://www.raconteur.net/hr/talent-management/the-war-for-crypto-talent/

this is an article from June on the FABULOUS OPPORTUNITIES in crypto, because they can't find anyone actually competent who wants the jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

basic income. universal healthcare? an end to homelessness. unity, and world peace! we can achieve these things! how do we achieve these things, you say?

raise my taxes? oh, how quaint. no, it's magic beans!