Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

lord funk posted:

these are calliope hummingbirds, the smallest birds in north america

i got to see these on a trip out to idaho. they would come to the feeder on our hosts' porch

Omg the hardware I'd need to take a pic like that is probably worth more than my car. Such perfect clarity on the wings and so close 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

Omg the hardware I'd need to take a pic like that is probably worth more than my car. Such perfect clarity on the wings and so close 😭

a lot of bird photo people use micro 4/3 cameras specifically because you can get crazy long lenses relatively cheap

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

fascinating!
i have a kinda long lens but the sensor would need to be open for too long to get that kinda definition on something so teensy, but i'm a scrub tier photographer so maybe i'm just not doing the right stuff

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

but the sensor would need to be open for too long to get that kinda definition on something so teensy
?????

you just need a fast shutter speed like 1/1000 or 1/500 to freeze the motion. low f-stop like 2.8 for the pretty background blur

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

fascinating!
i have a kinda long lens but the sensor would need to be open for too long to get that kinda definition on something so teensy, but i'm a scrub tier photographer so maybe i'm just not doing the right stuff

yea no you need a very short shutter interval to freeze motion. the hummingbirds i'm taking pictures of are about 10 feet away and I am using a 200mm lens on full-frame, 1/500s and that is not quite enough to freeze their wings. 1/1000 would be better but i'm already at iso 3200. (the feeder is in the shade)

what you really need to take good hummingbird photos it seems is strong light.

what kind of camera and lens do you have?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

?????

you just need a fast shutter speed like 1/1000 or 1/500 to freeze the motion. low f-stop like 2.8 for the pretty background blur

hummingbirds are more like 1/2500 i think and with my lens at 1/2500 and a not-that-noisy ISO my pictures are so fucken dark that i am obliged to hide them from Anish Kapoor

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
cool bird pics. i've also been trying to take pictures of birds lately. they like to fly away as soon as i get focus, and i'm learning that no lens is long enough

red-throated loons, these two seemed pretty into each other but i put down the camera to respect their privacy once an adult scenario arose

arctic tern, the noisiest fuckers around and one of them repeatedly dive bombed me while screaming today, i think it must have a nest around

some barnacle geese

little auk

also a cool arctic fox i saw. poor guy had a bad eye but he seemed nimble enough over the rocks

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

just fyi the camera / lens for the hummingbird pics i took is: canon 5d iv, sigma 150-600. those shots were taken about 10 ft away, at 1/1600 second

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sigma balls

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tw; lil spider

chipmunk palate cleanser

i need a longer lens. and a shorter one. and a better zoom. and a macro.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my hummingbirds are so greedy now. i took the feeder in for 5 minutes to wash and refill it and they were watching. literally 10 seconds after putting it back up and walking inside they were dive bombing it and fighting each other off. :3:

it's nice to see wildlife doing its thing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

chipmunk palate cleanser

grinnies

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

my hummingbirds are so greedy now

yep. if the feeder ran out they'd bug us on the porch about it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the stellars jays we have will squawk at the window if their feeder is empty

super pushy birds

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
stellers jays are my favorite bird

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i went for a drive and saw some clouds that were taking themselves very seriously

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Silver Alicorn posted:

stellers jays are my favorite bird

hella same, of all the birds in the pacnw i always stop and admire them the most

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bump for hearing the full moon high tide crashing on the shore from a couple km away and walking down to the beach at 5am to catch the tide turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxuKRw5rvPY

(the ship keeping its rear end out of the water on four legs is https://sofiawindfarm.com/latest/press-releases/jack-up-vessel-off-redcar-coast-for-sofia-work/ )

edit: lol I'm going to have to walk down at low tide, it will be as low as it gets and judging by the pics here I could probably Metal Gear infiltrate the rig directly off the beach:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/large-rig-close-beach-between-18590917

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 23, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4k_EavwbFY

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got my ancient rear end dslr out of storage and started messing around with it again

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like ur bird

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The Fool posted:

I got my ancient rear end dslr out of storage and started messing around with it again

it's upside down! mostly!

it's a cool bird

if it poops it'd poo on its head though

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

went hiking last month w/ friends in the northeast kingdom of vermont (in the northeast corner of the state), at an alpine lake. climbed a local peak around 2,750ft elevation, up about 1500ft or so from the camp. made for a nice few hours excursion on a middling, but fine weather day

viewpoint after about a mile hiking, up maybe halfway

thankfully it didn't rain much, just a bit overcast

from a viewpoint just past the summit on the way back down, headed north and looking to the north (i had a friend pick me up and return to camp after)

more detail of the cliffs on the west

finally, although i had cell service while climbing and where we were staying, there was no service on the road right after i finished the trail. so i had to walk to this nice waterfall

it's a big waterfall, maybe 50ft or so tall

made for a nice half day out

then had a nice dinner w/ friends, hope people are doing well out there

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 24, 2021

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Fool posted:

nuthatches are so much fun

- they honk
- up/down do not matter to them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

nuthatches are so much fun

- they honk
- up/down do not matter to them

they honk
they stronk
they stronk and honk and honk
honk honk honk
stronk stronk stronk

the nuthatch and nuthatch show

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

how much nut could a nuthatch hatch if a nuthatch could hatch nut

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what do you use it on, what do you use it in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

greedy little birds

https://i.imgur.com/6kRHOKu.mp4

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

k00l hikin pics itt i don't know

went for a walk ^

weather started to turn

avalanche damage

weather really turning to poo poo

fog parted a bit

great view

surprise view of mount adams summited :madmax:

saw these cool marmots(?) sunning in the morning

really good trip except for frigid wind all night 11/10

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
nice marmot

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

crepuscular rays :cool:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Penisface posted:

how much nut could a nuthatch hatch if a nuthatch could hatch nut

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

crepuscular rays :cool:
noice

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm pretty corpuscular myself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took this pic. a magnolia. 3 days ago spring started

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i really like those colors

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

I took this pic. a magnolia. 3 days ago spring started

great pic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou. the flower did the hard yards not me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

a walk down to the beach yesterday evening, saw the core sample boat was well inshore, checked the tide tables and an exceptionally low tide was scheduled for 11:45am today - took an early ha;f-hour lunch break and

(there was a guy in hi-vis making sure nobody walked under it) :mad: