Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean what size are we talkin about. and how many hours

idk like 2 or 3 inches and a couple of minutes at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you dont want to throw them away or otherwise destroy them, you use them. for storage. in or otherwise attached to another computer

i dont understand what you dont understand. do we need to enumerate the things that can be stored on hard drives?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

violence usually

altho not gun violence. its p hard to reenact that scene from office space w really miniaturized dealios but i try

if they are small and you have baseball bats you cant go american history x on them like in office space but you can sock some hard drive dingers

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a platter drive that died, is there any non expensive way to recover data from it

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Jonny 290 posted:

ellie trashcakes is good, funny, and intelligent

bless

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hbag posted:

so reading the past 2 pages made my eyes glaze over and gave me a headache so gently caress whatever youre talking about now im here to derail it

i started writing this post without actually having anything to derail it with so
uh
hmm

what do you typically do with your old hard drives when you replace them in your NAS with newer, bigger ones
it seems like a waste to just have them sitting in anti-static bags for all eternity

take the magnets out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

bless

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

flakeloaf posted:

one-pass overwrite, and take them to ewaste disposal

this or take them apart and use the magnets inside as powerful fridge magnets

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

would buying one of those external hard drive docks and sticking them in that also be a viable solution?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

bless

:emptyquote:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh dont gently caress up 2T drives. those are still useful

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hbag posted:

would buying one of those external hard drive docks and sticking them in that also be a viable solution?

...what else do you think that those are for?

im trying to get you to some thinking on your own here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Alright then, I will say one last thing on the subject and let it drop so the nerds can go back to their delightful discussion of figgies and "MEETINGS! MEETINGS! MEETINGS! AACK!"

When I say it's not your call, it isn't to say that you lack the capacity to form cogent opinions or lack insight or whatever. However, it does mean that as far as I am able to determine with the information I have on hand you are likely to be escape any impact or effect of what you are judging; my experience has led me to believe that it is, for you, an ephemeral moment with insufficient emotional impact or personal relevance to bear noticing its repetition—passively or, just as commonly, as the active choice of some poo poo-for-brains who doesn't care if attack helicopters are still clever as long as he can get a laugh from other poo poo-for-brains.

As I said just now, which bears repeating, an ephemeral moment, quickly half-forgotten, and not just another thread in a tapestry of bullshit cruelty that is woven day by day and hour by hour in the lives of those to whom you consider your experiences comparable enough to weigh in over their varyingly strident objections.

It's what I call a Ladybug's Dick: they know where it is, you probably don't. It is outside your area of direct experience. You don't get to tell the ladybug that their dick isn't a dick. I mean it's perfectly understandable and in no way blameworthy to not know which ladybug has or has not a dick. It's even not that bad to think "well that there particular ladybug doesn't seem like it has a dick," because, again, unless you're a ladybug or very specific and possibly pervy sort of entomologist, you simply lack the proper context, but when the ladybug says "um, actually I do," or "that's an ovipositor, weirdo" it is simply the best course of action to listen. And maybe apologize (a lady can be quite self-conscious about the size of her ovipositor after all).

All that said, things also don't have to rise to the level of hateful to be unacceptable. There are a great many things that have been said without using a handful of words that can be easily flagged but are still drenched in venom and a sneering contempt that cuts through you in a way that—even though at this point you're not my favorite person in the world—I hope you never experience.

And while I enjoy a sensible chuckle as much as the next bitch, there are certain subjects I have to take seriously as well as some I choose to, a lot of which falls into Chappelle's ouvre now that he's in the "have you ever seen a lobster fork... ON WEED?!?!'"/"it's not safe to perform at colleges any more 🥵" phase of his career, which I put onto being so long safely ensconced from the everyday existence of his audience that the only common ground remaining is "being lovely about things"

Anywho, none of this is strictly my fault. I was once bitten on the moors by a creature half-human, half-chihuaha and the trembling moon approaches...

oh come on i didn’t even break the skin :rolleyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

whoooweee a lot of posts in this thread this morning. i missed em all cause i was out flying a plane. check it out

i did a bunch of maneuvers in the dashed line area too but the ADS-B receivers are spotty out there.

rotor posted:

irc drama is generally pretty tepid but I'll take what i can get

do you think they still update bash.org?

Stringent posted:

dude i'm sorry to tell you this, but jpop and kpop idols are the most raped women in the history of humanity.

i doubt this

CPColin posted:

I had a noble goal for a few days of making a list of every bathroom on campus and rating how it was for pooping in, but gave up after only a couple because most of them are pretty cramped and awful. Now I just poop in my own toilet because 1) bidet and 2) lol @ ever going back to campus

i have identified the best bathroom on my campus for pooping in, but i'm never telling anyone about it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 10, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why are you even tracing out the path if you're going to make sad ball-less dicks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at trying to burn me by doing a "they all look the same" bucketing of kpop and jpop in the same attack. just incredibly racist as well as exhibiting extremely poor reading comprehension lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

whoooweee a lot of posts in this thread this morning. i missed em all cause i was out flying a plane. check it out

this looks like a bike ride, not a plane flight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this looks like a bike ride, not a plane flight

well it's got two wheels and no horsepower so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why are you even tracing out the path if you're going to make sad ball-less dicks

you know i've never even drawn a dick in the air before. it's kinda hard to do that in the heavily controlled airspace of the bay area but next time i'm out in the north bay or something...hmmmm

Jonny 290 posted:

well it's got two wheels and no horsepower so

three wheels.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh poo poo hbag just doesn't know who the f dave chappelle is, dont they

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

oh come on i didn’t even break the skin
just my HEART 💔 😭

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh poo poo hbag just doesn't know who the f dave chappelle is, dont they

i have heard exclusively bad things about him

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress

im old

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

gently caress

im old

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

george carlin is still p good (rip)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kazinsal posted:

george carlin is still p good (rip)

so my #1 internet tip is that every george carlin quote is a misattribution. There's no one, living or dead, that has had more weirdo poo poo attributed to them that they never got close to saying.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

so my #1 internet tip is that every george carlin quote is a misattribution. There's no one, living or dead, that has had more weirdo poo poo attributed to them that they never got close to saying.

... mark twain ....

... albert einstein ....

.... lincoln....

.... plato....

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

... mark twain ....

... albert einstein ....

.... lincoln....

.... plato....

please consider using the ellipsis unicode character … in the future to avoid global dot depletion

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hbag posted:

holy crap lois

how does someone at your age know what hentai is

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

graph posted:

it's part of that newfangled common hardcore curriculum

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

graph posted:

this is the person that has a minecraft titty mouse pad

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

common hardcore

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

There's no one, living or dead, that has had more weirdo poo poo attributed to them that they never got close to saying.

-- kurt cobain

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

“it’s better to burn out then to fade away.”

~~george carlin

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

graph posted:

uh do you think it stopped existing?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wow today was a day in the cjs

going home, costco trip great, forgot how good and more value their produce section was

got me another bag of trail mix!!! with the m+ms

gently caress me sideways

also work sux lol people cant follow simple directions - time to ZOOM and walk them through how to log into something cause they refuse to read a loving picture book PDF

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

“some jackass on the internet is going around, telling people i wash my feet in the terlet.”

~~steve jobs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

wow today was a day in the cjs

going home, costco trip great, forgot how good and more value their produce section was

got me another bag of trail mix!!! with the m+ms

gently caress me sideways

also work sux lol people cant follow simple directions - time to ZOOM and walk them through how to log into something cause they refuse to read a loving picture book PDF

not even tori-fueled. amazing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

President Beep posted:

not even tori-fueled. amazing.

proof that he is redundant and should be right-sized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

proof that he is redundant and should be right-sized

tbf it was kind of a saccharine experience though. not quite like the real thing.