Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Would it be worth it to buy the physical Arena starter kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I went up against a guy who used Kick in the Door with Demilich and it tickled me so much that I've been obsessed with optimizing something for 2022 ranked for the past couple of weeks.

That combo doesn't make any sense, the Demilich needs to be in play first.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Went for 2 wins in the Amonket draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/c6cad80d783242b19f97684027fe2838

I have never played Amonket, as I just got back into the game, with the last set I played anything from before AFR was Avacyn Restored.

I went for a rare pick pretty much in pack one for the most part, but didn't see anything daunting there, ended up trying to pick into Selesnya naturally, but then realized I had a green deck maybe with a tiny splash of white and just went white instead. Ultimately enchantments lost me most of my games with no way to remove them.

What did you lose to? Was it the blue cycling enchantment that squats out drakes or the green enchantment that drops worms? The blue one is a bomb uncommon, but the deck can be hard to build.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Technowolf posted:

I bought it for like $7 at my local game store. Don’t know how good either of the decks are but since I’m splitting it with my fiancée, I just saw it as a way to get a bunch of nonrandomized cards for a starter collection.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Bet my opponent was pleased by getting Lena in momir while I was getting big power creatures.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

hey is there a mtg cube thread?

i'm close to completing an AFR cube, but I'd like to balance it so that R/B isn't so oppressive and that blue is a little more powerful.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ithle01 posted:

What did you lose to? Was it the blue cycling enchantment that squats out drakes or the green enchantment that drops worms? The blue one is a bomb uncommon, but the deck can be hard to build.

There was a white enchantment that named my big beater with reach that had a stranglehold on a game. Don't recall what it was.

Additionally just arrest style enchantments on my creatures with no way to get them back other than sacrificing them for life.

Of note, I did not realize that it's 3 free drafts:
  • Amonhkhet Remastered (August 10- August 15)
  • Kaladesh Remastered (August 15 – August 20)
  • Ikoria: Lair of the Behemoths (August 20 – August 26)
I just thought we got one!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i'm close to completing an AFR cube, but I'd like to balance it so that R/B isn't so oppressive and that blue is a little more powerful.

There's one in Traditional Games, but it doesn't get much (if any) traffic. Traditional Games has the paper MtG threads.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560252&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Not a lot of traffic recently but I've been getting back into cubes and I'm sure nobody would mind reviving the thread. Or just post in the General MTG paper thread in trad games.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
does anyone have any gross Emry, or generally gross combo lists for 100 card historic brawl that I can start looking at? I know all will be thrown into chaos by Jumpstart, but, starting points are starting points

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cabbages and Kings posted:

does anyone have any gross Emry, or generally gross combo lists for 100 card historic brawl that I can start looking at? I know all will be thrown into chaos by Jumpstart, but, starting points are starting points

we're getting a historic brawl queue on the 12th and jumpstart's been pushed along with the patch to the 26th, so you have time for current lists

here's a slightly tweaked list that i have saved for emry

AFR wasn't out yet last historic brawl so the cards from that set are experimental (i honestly probably want deck of many things in there, somewhere, but i haven't spent a wildcard on it yet. probably over wizard's spellbook)

deck will change a ton with jumpstart, lemme tell you

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'm curious how you do a cube for a single set when there's not enough unique cards for an entire draft. There's 360 cards in a regular draft (three 15 card packs times 8 players) but only 281 cards in AFR. Are you going to have duplicate cards in your cube?

As for making blue more palatable uhhh good luck? Unless you're going to include cards from other sets it's basically impossible, unless you just want to cut out the top 2-5 commons in each other colour to even them out. Though I doubt it'd be fun to play a cube where the other colours are reduced to the power level of blue. Maybe have each player start with a Sapphire Medallion in play lol (and pray your opp doesn't have artifact removal).

If anything you could just cut blue entirely aside from a couple good cards (though I don't know if a cube is actually improved by including Xanathar).

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

There was a white enchantment that named my big beater with reach that had a stranglehold on a game. Don't recall what it was.

Additionally just arrest style enchantments on my creatures with no way to get them back other than sacrificing them for life.

Ah, thought you might have gotten taken out by some of the enchantment based decks in the format, but it looks like just regular white removal spells. There's a decent amount of good removal in AKR and agro is stronger than in most limited formats so you need to decide whether you want to commit to being agro or surviving it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Here's my favorite paradox engine deck in historic brawl, Sisay. Get Sisay out then tutor up the engine and make a hundred mana and cast all the spells. I haven't added anything to it from AFR and probably don't need to except for maybe the fetch a plains dog, but probably needs a mana rebalance to cut some of the 5+ drops and then add in the snow lands and Search for Glory.

Commander
1 Captain Sisay (INV) 237

Deck
1 Elfhame Druid
1 Lyra Dawnbringer
1 Marwyn, the Nurturer
1 Mox Amber
1 Shalai, Voice of Plenty
1 Urza's Ruinous Blast
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Vivien Reid
1 Trostani Discordant
1 Temple Garden
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Guardian Project
1 Incubation Druid
1 Ugin, the Ineffable
1 Finale of Devastation
1 Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World
1 Paradise Druid
1 Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves
1 God-Pharaoh's Statue
1 Leafkin Druid
1 Veil of Summer
1 Arcane Signet
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Command Tower
1 The Great Henge
1 Once Upon a Time
1 Questing Beast
1 Crashing Drawbridge
1 Castle Ardenvale
1 Fabled Passage
1 Mind Stone
1 Rhys the Redeemed
1 Nyx Lotus
1 Shadowspear
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Fight as One
1 Kogla, the Titan Ape
1 Akroma's Memorial
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
1 Selfless Savior
1 Heroic Intervention
1 Llanowar Visionary
1 Chromatic Orrery
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Drover of the Mighty
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Overgrown Battlement
1 Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
1 Guardian Idol
1 Ilysian Caryatid
1 Yasharn, Implacable Earth
1 Sejiri Shelter
1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Tangled Florahedron
1 Branchloft Pathway
1 Druid of the Cowl
1 Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter
1 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
1 Ajani Unyielding
1 Hope of Ghirapur
1 Paradox Engine
1 Aether Hub
1 Inventors' Fair
12 Plains
15 Forest
1 Reidane, God of the Worthy
1 Toski, Bearer of Secrets
1 Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Gods Willing
1 Swords to Plowshares

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My top tip for AKR is just that Trial of Solidarity looks innocuous but is in fact very good indeed, so if your draft pod doesn’t know this you can snatch them up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just did the free Amonkhet draft - 4 wins! I consider that good

Blue/White deck with the enchantment that pops out cycling drakes and a bunch of cycling cards.

I no joke probably played against 6/7 blue white decks. I’ve never seen the cards in this set before so I guess I lucked into the strong color

(I still am not using draft programs - playing on my phone for now lol)

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Went for 2 wins in the Amonket draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/c6cad80d783242b19f97684027fe2838

I have never played Amonket, as I just got back into the game, with the last set I played anything from before AFR was Avacyn Restored.

I went for a rare pick pretty much in pack one for the most part, but didn't see anything daunting there, ended up trying to pick into Selesnya naturally, but then realized I had a green deck maybe with a tiny splash of white and just went white instead. Ultimately enchantments lost me most of my games with no way to remove them.

I think I disagree with almost all your early picks, but I'm also not sure of the context.

Did you specifically raredraft in p1p1? I assume you did, but then it almost looks like you are trying to draft around it. You ignored some really good red and white options (what I would most like to be in), and didn't even always take the best green card.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Nope it's 9 free packs with potential for more. Pretty nice tbh

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Went 7-2, first draft where I got over 2-3.

quote:

Deck
2 In Oketra's Name (AKR) 25
1 Khenra Eternal (AKR) 109
1 Lord of the Accursed (AKR) 114
1 Splendid Agony (AKR) 125
1 Wander in Death (AKR) 133
1 Dauntless Aven (AKR) 12
2 Wasteland Scorpion (AKR) 135
1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs (AKR) 282
1 Oketra's Attendant (AKR) 28
1 Doomed Dissenter (AKR) 101
1 Fan Bearer (AKR) 17
2 Those Who Serve (AKR) 41
1 Supply Caravan (AKR) 39
1 Forsake the Worldly (AKR) 18
1 Djeru's Resolve (AKR) 15
1 Prepare /// Fight (AKR) 251
1 Gust Walker (AKR) 22
2 Trespasser's Curse (AKR) 129
1 Miasmic Mummy (AKR) 116
1 Supernatural Stamina (AKR) 126
1 Lethal Sting (AKR) 110
1 Sacred Cat (AKR) 34
7 Swamp (AFR) 273
7 Plains (AFR) 265
In Oketra's Name is a great finisher, Trespasser's Curse was more of a pressure machine than I thought it would.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I think I disagree with almost all your early picks, but I'm also not sure of the context.

Did you specifically raredraft in p1p1? I assume you did, but then it almost looks like you are trying to draft around it. You ignored some really good red and white options (what I would most like to be in), and didn't even always take the best green card.

I haven’t played the format but it looks to me like there was a seriously good GR deck on offer here in packs 1 and 3

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Technowolf posted:

this one? it's been fluctuating in price wildly, but I saw it drop down to about 8 bucks once so I guess if you have prime that's not a bad price at all for a couple of decks, some foils, and the ability to get them both in arena in their entirety, especially if you're new.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Blorange posted:

That combo doesn't make any sense, the Demilich needs to be in play first.

Oh no, not a combo for the cost. This guy had played the Lich for four blue and then Kick in the Door to have a 5/4 haster that could be 6/5 if he has an extra red. I found it so odd that I had to try and figure out why. So now I'm enjoying some reasonable success with Sea Gate Stormcallers, Magmatic Channelers, and burn spells. It's got some really crazy burst turns that can happen.

Really hurts not to have Opt, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You'll get a strictly-better-for-that-deck opt in Innistrad so not long to wait

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Look at this beautiful pile. https://articles.starcitygames.com/...source=hs_email

2 Den of the Bugbear
1 Battle Cry Goblin
4 Blightstep Pathway
4 Cragcrown Pathway
4 Muxus, Goblin Grandee
4 Grumgully, the Generous
4 Putrid Goblin
1 Pashalik Mons
2 Munitions Expert
4 Wily Goblin
3 Unclaimed Territory
4 Collected Company
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Blood Crypt
4 Stomping Ground
4 Skirk Prospector
1 Mountain
4 Goblin Matron
2 Phyrexian Tower

Sideboard
2 Irencrag Feat
2 Munitions Expert
1 Goblin Cratermaker
1 Goblin Trashmaster
1 Goblin Chainwhirler
3 Abrade
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Gempalm Incinerator

Grumgully + putrid goblin + prospector is infinite mana, then activate den a bunch of times to get enough gobbos on attack, pump battle cry goblin, activate pashlik mons, or put the hobgoblin bandit guy in there somewhere for a lethal amount of goblins entering this turn.

edit - momir is fun. https://scryfall.com/card/c16/58/blazing-archon is hell of a card. Opponent kept his Jin-Gitaxias for two turns before he realized it was going to deck him very quickly.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 11, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Went 7-2 in the free Amonkhet Remastered draft.

The trick is to play green with a splash of white. And blue. And red.

'cause you don't not play The Locust God and Assert/Authority is a really good finisher if you've got board presence.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Reidane in this iteration of Momir is brutal. That is all.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 11, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Got Aggro'd (and one high roll guy with a great hand) to 1-3 trying to Aggro myself, but that's Amon Remastered for you.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Almost lost a game because I'm not sure how to make my dude exert when attacking.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Solemn Sloth posted:

Almost lost a game because I'm not sure how to make my dude exert when attacking.

"Attack all" doesn't prompt the Exert - you have to manually choose which creatures to attack with, and then select them individually to Exert.

That said, just went 6-3 in the free Amon draft, which is surprising because I'm absolutely terrible at drafting in general. 2 of those 3 losses were getting mana screwed, and the last one I kept a mediocre draw into someone's very good Zombie deck. Pretty happy all in all.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Same.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It turns out the secret to doing well in drafts is to slum it in Bronze all the time. I'll take 5 wins with a thoroughly mediocre deck in a set that I've never drafted nor really know anything about.

That being said gently caress planeswalkers in Limited.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

https://www.17lands.com/deck/58892a326bcd4a34b803d9a3f5d48788

How the gently caress do i bring this U/B cycling deck down to 40 cards, I'm 99% sure I don't want to run 17 lands but no idea how many exactly. 20 cards with cycling is kind of a lot but I'm not experienced enough with this format to know how low I can go and which cards should go.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
God i wish they'd curate the momir pool to remove creatures with do-nothing abilities, they're so unfun.

E: and yeah I lost a dude and almost lost a game because exert doesn't trigger on all-attack.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 11, 2021

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Bruvac the Grandiloquent + a kicked Maddening Cacophony is an insta-win. Someone posted this some time ago when there was a historic brawl event, it's very rude.

Commander
1 Bruvac the Grandiloquent (JMP) 10

Deck
1 Sweet Oblivion (THB) 70
36 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 278
1 Essence Flux (JMP) 151
1 Didn't Say Please (ELD) 42
1 Maddening Cacophony (ZNR) 67
1 Miscast (M21) 57
1 Compelling Argument (AKR) 55
1 Negate (RIX) 44
1 Merfolk Secretkeeper (ELD) 53
1 Disdainful Stroke (KHM) 54
1 Lazotep Plating (WAR) 59
1 Time Warp (STA) 22
1 Unsummon (ANB) 36
27 Persistent Petitioners (RNA) 44
1 Thought Collapse (JMP) 184
1 Dive Down (XLN) 53
1 Wall of Lost Thoughts (JMP) 190
1 Ipnu Rivulet (AKR) 303
1 Ruin Crab (ZNR) 75
1 Iceberg Cancrix (MH1) 54
1 Teferi's Tutelage (M21) 78
1 Into the Story (ELD) 50
1 Sea Gate Restoration (ZNR) 76
1 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
1 Brainstorm (STA) 13
1 Drowned Secrets (GRN) 39
1 Bond of Insight (WAR) 43
1 Overwhelmed Apprentice (ELD) 60
1 Confounding Conundrum (ZNR) 53
1 Into the Roil (ZNR) 62
1 Whelming Wave (JMP) 193
1 Roaming Ghostlight (M21) 65
1 Multiple Choice (STX) 48
1 Icebreaker Kraken (KHM) 63
1 Shipwreck Dowser (M21) 71
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
1 Glacial Grasp (ZNR) 59
1 Sage's Row Denizen (M20) 73

It could probably be improved with Tasha's Hideous Laughter replacing a Persistent Petitioners. Fleet Swallower too, maybe, I dunno.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Retcon posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/58892a326bcd4a34b803d9a3f5d48788

How the gently caress do i bring this U/B cycling deck down to 40 cards, I'm 99% sure I don't want to run 17 lands but no idea how many exactly. 20 cards with cycling is kind of a lot but I'm not experienced enough with this format to know how low I can go and which cards should go.

Probably cut the Unburdens and some of the 5s and 6s. With that much cycling I'd probably run 18 lands too since you are never going to run out of things to do with your mana and want to make sure you hit your drops, plus you can cycle away deserts if you get flooded.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Probably cut the Unburdens and some of the 5s and 6s. With that much cycling I'd probably run 18 lands too since you are never going to run out of things to do with your mana and want to make sure you hit your drops, plus you can cycle away deserts if you get flooded.
I don't see how I could cut any of the 5s tbh. Ominous Sphinx is absurd, Final Reward is my one piece of unconditional hard removal and the other three cycle for one mana (plus Horror is pretty good in my experience). Also I thought the idea was that you can cut lands if you have enough cycling since you can still hit your land drops? At the very least I know the cycling deck in Ikoria didn't run many lands - though that one had Zenith Flare.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

thespaceinvader posted:

God i wish they'd curate the momir pool to remove creatures with do-nothing abilities, they're so unfun.

E: and yeah I lost a dude and almost lost a game because exert doesn't trigger on all-attack.

Yeah getting a vanilla 3/1 sucks so hard.

And to your edit, that explains a lot about why I blew through a bunch of triggers last night. Whoops!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Retcon posted:

I don't see how I could cut any of the 5s tbh. Ominous Sphinx is absurd, Final Reward is my one piece of unconditional hard removal and the other three cycle for one mana (plus Horror is pretty good in my experience). Also I thought the idea was that you can cut lands if you have enough cycling since you can still hit your land drops? At the very least I know the cycling deck in Ikoria didn't run many lands - though that one had Zenith Flare.

Ikoria cycling cards almost all cycled for 1 mana, so it was much easier to cycle out of mana screw than paying colored mana or 2 in amonkhet. The cycling lands were rare and that also affected the math, where here you have deserts that you can cycle if you you're flooding. And the payoffs for cycling in Ikoria was much higher so you were more incentivized to play a couple cheap threats and spin the rest of your deck away, hitting too many lands was a huge roadblock.

I'm not that familiar with Amonkhet but I'd go to 18 lands and cut both Unburden, Doomfall, Cryptic Serpent, 1 Vizier and maybe a Hieroglyphic Illumination?

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Alright, thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

So yes, raredraft p1p1, but I'm really interested in the better green cards I should have taken instead of my idiotic picks at least if you don't mind? I mean, looking back I feel like I know I should have been in red/white, but that is a completely different draft then.