Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

ah yes because the potential replacements are so much better

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1425132824147988487

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

WHY CANT YOU LET ME LIVE

but also yes

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

pelosi never got caught banana shopping which is why she will retire from her position in govt at 340 years old

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

eschaton posted:

You might have the first transgender lady governor, that's fun!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You might have the first transgender lady governor, that's fun!

yeah but is she a radical maoist?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stereotype posted:

yeah but is she a radical maoist?

almost the polar opposite in fact

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
just as an fyi all of the ledes that're "global warming cannot be stopped now" are basically there to preclude any climate action that might upset corporations under the guise there is no reason to try and mitigate the warming and if you go for the nihilism/blackpill poo poo you're eating that hook line and sinker

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

just as an fyi all of the ledes that're "global warming cannot be stopped now" are basically there to preclude any climate action that might upset corporations under the guise there is no reason to try and mitigate the warming and if you go for the nihilism/blackpill poo poo you're eating that hook line and sinker

it's pretty great. scientists basically said this week "poo poo is going to get insanely bad and there is nothing we can do to stop that future. however we still have to do those things still, even though we are already locked into a worse future for us all, because it can get so much worse. it can get so bad that everyone on the planet dies. you can't mitigate it, you need to stop."

and now the stories are just the first sentence and everyone throwing up their hands and saying welp we already broke it no use doing anything now and just flooring the accelerator.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

why settle for mostly hosed when you can do nothing and get totally hosed?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fabricated posted:

this is a good take. its currently very fashionable to scold the 'doomers' by accusing them of claiming nothing can be done, but that line is actually top down and im sure there's exxon and shell money behind it.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
agreed with above takes on takes

that said i am definitely finding it difficult to concentrate on work this week, not that i wasn't already deeply aware that i/we will never get to enjoy the world our elders threw in the trash

meanwhile i am also doing some work trainings and while i appreciate what they're going for it's hard to look at the cult of productivity as anything but figuring out how to go faster in a hamster wheel while everything burns around us

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tbh I think one of the events that sorta solidified doomerism among the north american left was that one antifascist who took out some neonazis and was extrajudicially executed on the side of a highway by marshals a few days later. if anything is going to send an effective message of "oh well nothing can be done about this" to the potential revolutionaries it's something like that.

everyone wants to do their part to make the world better, but nobody wants to be the guy found in a trunk having committed suicide by shooting himself with three different handguns fifty times through the lid from three feet behind the car

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i picked the wrong month to stop drinking

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jonny 290 posted:

this is a good take. its currently very fashionable to scold the 'doomers' by accusing them of claiming nothing can be done, but that line is actually top down and im sure there's exxon and shell money behind it.
There is a reason the biggest, worst newspapers and news networks are going with the "cannot be stopped" line specifically when the IPCC report is basically "We're gonna get into the 'bad things happen' part of these curves but we can still do stuff to make sure it doesn't get even worse". They want people to give up when even pretty sober climate scientists are reacting to these ledes with "What the gently caress? No, we still absolutely need to do stuff about this and we can prevent things from getting much much worse"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's fake
it's fake
it's fake
it's fake
it's too late to stop now

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've been on probe but "i'm not perverted I'm just italian" is a loving historical quote

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
carve that poo poo onto a monolith lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my vanity plate is coming any day now and i got the italian-american pride plate lmfaoooooo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

move to italy, jonny. buy one of those ten euro houses

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

years and years ago portland had a small delegation from copenhagen visit and assess bike infrastructure stuff and make recommendations for making things better and one of them was "ban all street parking in close-in residential areas" and it was like "lol sure, we'll get right on that"

they're right though

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The chicken wyngz just have that extra crispiness if you warm them using motor heat.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

The chicken wyngz just have that extra crispiness if you warm them using motor heat.

that’s an electric all the heat is in the back

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

good thing joe is taking the newest climate science seriosl…

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/us-call-opec-its-allies-increase-oil-production-cnbc-2021-08-11/

quote:

At a critical moment in the global recovery, this is simply not enough

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
oh boy Joe Manchin is doing the "Inflation Tax" thing, which as far as I know is a Ron Paul throwback. I wish people understood inflation at all, rather than just saying "oh no a price went up"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

joe manchin might be the world's most useful idiot [at doing his job which is preventing anything from happening]

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if your wage doesn't go up with inflation prices do just go up though

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Fabricated posted:

:c00l:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde

PokeJoe posted:

if your wage doesn't go up with inflation prices do just go up though

that is called wage arbitrage and that is something your boss does to you, though they may try to blame the economy for it instead

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 11, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

under communism, prices only go down

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that is called wage arbitrage and that is something your boss does to you, though they may try to blame the economy for it instead

agreed but the gov helps depress wages by never increasing the minimum wage. to the average person they don't care about the difference between a price increase and inflation because the result in their life is their purchasing power goes down

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
hey i'm just saiyin that you should correct people about it because that kinda thing lets your boss off the hook for cutting your wage

it's like ignorance about tax brackets, tons of people think the concept of inflation doesn't "count" with wages because they're getting hosed over

i think it's easiest to explain that inflation makes your debt worth less, and the piles of money rich people are sitting on worth less. "are you sitting on a big pile of dollar bills? no? then inflation isn't loving you over, that's your boss"

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 11, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1425458185721110530

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it was a nonbinding amendment that was brought up so republicans could campaign on “x democratic senator voted to defund police!”

bernie even said so before voting in support.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is basically just theater where the GOP can drag it out doing non binding resolutions saying how bad the reconciliation bill is

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

no

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
hellworld, baby

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1424850254155878410

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
placing my insurance card before me, turning to face the kaiser permanente headquarters and performing salah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gbhorwood/status/1425259460583428096