Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Charlz Guybon posted:

Consecrated the Karling bloodline and got a cool nickname, but lost it for the generic scholar when I founded a university after that. <_<

Very annoying, I feel like the nicknames should be tiered and a lower level one shouldn't replace a higher level one.

Or just append with some logic to make that work, so you could have been "The Anointed Scholar".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Charlz Guybon posted:

Consecrated the Karling bloodline and got a cool nickname, but lost it for the generic scholar when I founded a university after that. <_<

I hate founding universities because of this

By the way, CK 2 did the whole nickname thing a lot better than CK 3: we would get nicknames more often, and they were more interesting. Almost all rulers would get one, good or bad, based on common stuff they did, not only tied to specific events

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Yo, I finally did it

Bonus:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm seeing double! Four popes!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Shameful 1 stewardship vs more shameful 1 prowess.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
New dev diary on artifact acquisition: basically the Send For A Smith decision/event chain is being replaced by strange moods:

quote:

Characters throughout the world can gain what we call an inspiration. (...) There are many different kinds of inspirations, all resulting in various types of artifacts upon completion. An inspiration can be broad, such as someone wanting to merely forge a weapon, or very specific like a character wanting to forge a sword.

Inspirations only occur for landless characters. (...) Inspired characters will travel the world, from court to court, seeking a wealthy monarch to sponsor them and their creation. Realms with a high grandeur will be able to attract inspired characters more frequently than those with low grandeur.

Once an inspired character arrives at your court, you can choose to sponsor them by giving them the gold they ask for. A skilled character will demand larger amounts of gold, but will also yield better results in creating an artifact. Most of the time at least. No one is infallible after all. The skill that is relevant depends on the type of artifact they want to make. (...)

After funding an inspiration, it will take some time for the character to create the artifact. During the creation progress various situations can happen, such as the character asking for better materials to work with. (...)
An inspiration gains progress similar to that of a scheme. (...) Once the inspiration reaches full progress, the character will approach you to present their creation.

Mind you, this is not the only way in which you can get an artifact. Inspirations exist to serve as the most significant means of doing so, since they will generally grant you artifacts of a higher quality.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 10, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

M_Gargantua posted:

Shameful 1 stewardship vs more shameful 1 prowess.

Unless you're a Viking prowess is pretty much useless. Other people should be doing your fighting for you while you sit at home doing esoteric religious rituals and banging people with inheritable traits.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

scaterry posted:

Yo, I finally did it

Bonus:

But how?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
and why is the papacy tribal

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Unless you're a Viking prowess is pretty much useless. Other people should be doing your fighting for you while you sit at home doing esoteric religious rituals and banging people with inheritable traits.

Does the game pay attention to where I am? I had a really good strategy really low prowess guy and I was sending him to raid and murder but maybe he should have stayed at home?

What aspect makes some military work based on money and some based on prestige?

I love this game but I still have no idea what I'm doing. My first ruler conqs my second gets conq'd

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Does the game pay attention to where I am? I had a really good strategy really low prowess guy and I was sending him to raid and murder but maybe he should have stayed at home?

I love this game but I still have no idea what I'm doing. My first ruler conqs my second gets conq'd

yeah it'll track if you're running an army or at an event and make you unavailable for doing other events/army leadership until you're done with whatever. also you'll want your ruler to lead your raiding armies to either increase the chance of pillage events or unlock the "steal development" option during them. I forget which

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

If you're raiding you do want your ruler in the raiding army because you get traits from it.

Otherwise I tend to keep my rulers and heirs out of fighting unless I want them to get killed.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dallan Invictus posted:

New dev diary on artifact acquisition: basically the Send For A Smith decision/event chain is being replaced by strange moods:

Urist McCourtier has been taken by a fell mood...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elias_Maluco posted:

My marshal is busy raising control in the Seville, which I conquered to be in my desmene, since they are some rich provinces, and that is taking quite a while.

This is probably the wrong decision. If there's any sort of malus to control growth, it's certainly the wrong decision. Getting control up to 100 will make what, like 1-2 more gold/month? Using your Marshal to reduce your MaA cost will save much more if you're employing a bunch of Varangians.

If you still want to the control growth it's easy to gain it elsewhere, notable the first perk in the Authority martial tree.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

I found a way to change the pope's government! If you revoke/conquer his realm capital and force him to move it to a tribal/city holding, he'll change government accordingly. From there, you can inherit the title via confederate partition.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Or just append with some logic to make that work, so you could have been "The Anointed Scholar".

Collecting a shitload of honorifics would be fairly in character for monarchs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

scaterry posted:

I found a way to change the pope's government! If you revoke/conquer his realm capital and force him to move it to a tribal/city holding, he'll change government accordingly. From there, you can inherit the title via confederate partition.

lmao genius

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Neurion posted:

Urist McCourtier has been taken by a fell mood...

William Capet III cancels Fabricate Claim: Interrupted by Carp.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all, so fairly new to CK games (played a little bit of CK2 last year, and just started this week on CK3).

I was playing the Munster tutorial and I ran into something that I just couldn't figure out whatsoever. I ended up fighting another army that I was not at war with, but this army was at war with an earl that I was at war with.

So, I manage to invite some guy into my court so that I could get a claim a county that the Petty Kingdom of Connacht or whatever owned (Briefne I think). Before I get a chance to declare war on Connacht, I realize that Connacht and my rival, the Earl of Leinnster is at war with Connacht. Leinnster also has some allies at war with them, I think Bavaria or Bohemia.

Great, I figure it's also a good time to declare war on Connacht and try and press my claim and get to it first while they're busy duking it out (Connacht by that point was beseiging Dublin)

As I'm moving my full army stack of around 1500 guys through Connacht to make my way to Briefne to capture it, I accidentally run into a 2500 stack of Leinster's Bohemia ally. To my surprise, we ended up in a loving battle and they decimate me.

Why? I triple checked that Connacht had no allies, and I hadn't declare war on Leinster or their allies, so why did our armies fight? Will any armies fight if they run into eachother? Or will they fight if they run into eachother and are at war? How do I avoid this, do I just have to stay away from other stacked armies when there's multiple wars going on?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oysters Autobio posted:

I was playing the Munster tutorial and I ran into something that I just couldn't figure out whatsoever. I ended up fighting another army that I was not at war with, but this army was at war with an earl that I was at war with.

It's this. You're considered hostile to anyone else attacking or raiding someone you are at war with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah warfare in this game (in contrast to say, EU4) is pretty anarchic. If you are at war with someone (so in your case Connaught) and they are at war with somebody else (Leinster here), your armies will be hostile to their armies, as well as their allies (and any vassals of Connaught if they have any).

This prevents the situation common in other Paradox games where you are trying to conquer a territory and some random snipes the occupation of a province, or you both split the occupation of a realm and neither of you have enough warscore to actually make peace. Incidentally, if you had managed to occupy your claim and make peace with Connaught, and Leinster was trying to conquer the same county, the war would automatically now make you the defender against Leinster and it's allies. If you want to take land, be prepared to defend it from all comers.

Similar situations can arise if somebody is at war with your liege. Any of the invading armies will be hostile to you, even if your lands are not directly contested.

As for avoiding them, armies that are hostile to you in this manner are shown in orange (as opposed to red for armies you are directly at war with). Non-hostile armies whom you will not fight should you encounter are shown in white.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey all, so fairly new to CK games (played a little bit of CK2 last year, and just started this week on CK3).

So, I manage to invite some guy into my court so that I could get a claim a county that the Petty Kingdom of Connacht or whatever owned (Briefne I think). Before I get a chance to declare war on Connacht, I realize that Connacht and my rival, the Earl of Leinnster is at war with Connacht. Leinnster also has some allies at war with them, I think Bavaria or Bohemia.

Great, I figure it's also a good time to declare war on Connacht and try and press my claim and get to it first while they're busy duking it out (Connacht by that point was beseiging Dublin)

As I'm moving my full army stack of around 1500 guys through Connacht to make my way to Briefne to capture it, I accidentally run into a 2500 stack of Leinster's Bohemia ally. To my surprise, we ended up in a loving battle and they decimate me.

Why? I triple checked that Connacht had no allies, and I hadn't declare war on Leinster or their allies, so why did our armies fight? Will any armies fight if they run into eachother? Or will they fight if they run into eachother and are at war? How do I avoid this, do I just have to stay away from other stacked armies when there's multiple wars going on?

Your guys tunics were of a different colors than theirs, and thus fair game.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah warfare in this game (in contrast to say, EU4) is pretty anarchic. If you are at war with someone (so in your case Connaught) and they are at war with somebody else (Leinster here), your armies will be hostile to their armies, as well as their allies (and any vassals of Connaught if they have any).

This prevents the situation common in other Paradox games where you are trying to conquer a territory and some random snipes the occupation of a province, or you both split the occupation of a realm and neither of you have enough warscore to actually make peace. Incidentally, if you had managed to occupy your claim and make peace with Connaught, and Leinster was trying to conquer the same county, the war would automatically now make you the defender against Leinster and it's allies. If you want to take land, be prepared to defend it from all comers.

Similar situations can arise if somebody is at war with your liege. Any of the invading armies will be hostile to you, even if your lands are not directly contested.

As for avoiding them, armies that are hostile to you in this manner are shown in orange (as opposed to red for armies you are directly at war with). Non-hostile armies whom you will not fight should you encounter are shown in white.

This is really helpful, thanks. I had wondered the same thing when mousing over other armies before.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Red armies are ones you're at war with

Yellow/Orange armies are ones that you're hostile too by virtue of their own war goals

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Maybe I'm just blind but they should make the orange a bit more orange. Like I can tell it's not red but when there's like ten stacks wandering around in varying shades of orange and red it can get a bit muddled

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

scaterry posted:

Now that you're the pope are you constantly getting requests from random leaders for indulgences and money and such?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Are there any implications by setting a different Kingdom to be your Primary Title?

Playing Novgorod now, and after setting myself up pretty well by assassinating both the Heir to a the Kingdom of Ruthenia and then successfully killing the actual ruler of that Kingdom, I also got assassinated unfortunately. So, my baby heir inherited a bunch of stuff but went to the Kingdom of Ruthenia as the primary title.

Since I just like the name better (and historical accuracy roleplay or whatever), I changed my primary title back to the Kingdom of Novgorod. Were there any implications in doing this?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Are there any implications by setting a different Kingdom to be your Primary Title?

Playing Novgorod now, and after setting myself up pretty well by assassinating both the Heir to a the Kingdom of Ruthenia and then successfully killing the actual ruler of that Kingdom, I also got assassinated unfortunately. So, my baby heir inherited a bunch of stuff but went to the Kingdom of Ruthenia as the primary title.

Since I just like the name better (and historical accuracy roleplay or whatever), I changed my primary title back to the Kingdom of Novgorod. Were there any implications in doing this?

At the kingdom level, very few, unless you're still stuck with some kind of uncontrollable partition laws (i.e. you have no means of circumventing plain partition using appointments or elections or the like). By the time you get to be a king, you really should have access to those, so it should very rarely be an issue. Technically, it would also make it easier to usurp the title if you confine yourself to just owning territory in your primary kingdom, but that' requires some pretty exceptional circumstances and is trivial to counter, so that should rarely be a problem either.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
The primary title also affects de jure duchies for inheritance. Probably doesn't matter if you haven't built them up or you have Primogeniture

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hmm, I definitely need to read more on inheritance because I really don't get the one I'm currently under (confederated something?)

What I really don't get is how you can defeat a bunch of Vassals in a rebellion, and then you're only allowed to revoke ONE of their titles without penalty? Seems like a silly bug since you understandably can revoke a Title because of their Criminal status, but it seems once you remove just one Title, they lose Criminal status. So now I've got active Vassals with titles who are in prison. I feel like you should be able to strip any Vassals who rebel against you of their titles without being a tyrant, that just seems obvious.

Other than watching the +/- for opinion, is there some hidden opinion modifier because they revolted against you once? i.e. if their hovering around 0 opinion anyway, might I well just ransom them for cash or is it unwise to ever let previous revolting Vassals out of prison?

Also a bit frustrated that when I saw I had too many domains, I went in and gave away two of them to Mayors, which didn't remove any of the domains from my total. Kinda annoying, I feel like the game is usually really good in the UI department of telling you the consequences for practically every button choice.

But on another note, I just gotta say I am everyday more and more impressed with all the level of detail here. Like how many historians did Paradox employ to get down all these different dynasties, houses, specific cultures and weird obscure religions. While I'm sure its been an iterative thing since the first CK, but nevertheless where CK3 is now is just incredible.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 11, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A lot of that is built up from CK2, and I think it's heavily based on user feedback and suggestions.

And it's not a bug that you can't revoke all of a vassal's titles, that's just sort of how it works. Would be too easy to attack large vassals otherwise.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Not really, no. It'd effect title integration probably, but the big effect is just which title you keep on succession, other top level titles will potentially be shared out amongst your non-primary heirs.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Now that you're the pope are you constantly getting requests from random leaders for indulgences and money and such?

If you keep the spiritual head doctrine, you can do everything the pope can do, including receive indulgences, but if you die it’s game over. It’s possible to play around it by granting the title away before succession but its still risky.

In that particular playthrough, I disbanded the papacy and then restored it, which removes the ‘spiritual head’ doctrine so I’m missing a lot of the functionality in order to have a safe inheritance. If I tagswitch to other rulers I can still give indulgences, so I assume it works. I can’t excommunicate or call crusades though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Oysters Autobio posted:

What I really don't get is how you can defeat a bunch of Vassals in a rebellion, and then you're only allowed to revoke ONE of their titles without penalty? Seems like a silly bug since you understandably can revoke a Title because of their Criminal status, but it seems once you remove just one Title, they lose Criminal status. So now I've got active Vassals with titles who are in prison. I feel like you should be able to strip any Vassals who rebel against you of their titles without being a tyrant, that just seems obvious.

If they revolted due to a faction demand that you rejected, that is one criminal action (revolting). If you try to imprison them however and they refuse, that is two criminal actions (refusing imprisonment, revolting). It can be worth spending the 5 tyranny to imprison someone in order to force a revolt and get revocation reasons.

Also, if you have a vassal with multiple tiers of titles, you can revoke the top title and it will auto-revoke everything dejure that they also hold. Just click on the top title and it will auto-select everything under it. This can let you revoke more than 1 title from your dukes/kings.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

This is probably the wrong decision. If there's any sort of malus to control growth, it's certainly the wrong decision. Getting control up to 100 will make what, like 1-2 more gold/month? Using your Marshal to reduce your MaA cost will save much more if you're employing a bunch of Varangians.

If you still want to the control growth it's easy to gain it elsewhere, notable the first perk in the Authority martial tree.

Yeah, you were right about that. A good marshal reducing the MaA cost alone gave me around +8 gold a month

That along with the Avaricious tree save me from going broke: I went from -2 g monthly to around +30 g in a few decades

Still not amazing, considering how expensive my army gets when raised, but now pretty sustainable

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

binge crotching posted:

If they revolted due to a faction demand that you rejected, that is one criminal action (revolting). If you try to imprison them however and they refuse, that is two criminal actions (refusing imprisonment, revolting). It can be worth spending the 5 tyranny to imprison someone in order to force a revolt and get revocation reasons.

Thanks for the tip, may be worth it to look at this option right before a faction is about to revolt.

I mean, I guess it would make it "easier" sure, but it's still stupid that here they are, traitor Vassals just sitting in my prison after they revolted and I'm like "Okay well they're traitors, I can only take away one title, anything else would be unfair".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Once you smack them down once the bulk of them won't revolt again. If you have a well set up succession you won't even get a revolt at all. Its almost always because you're a belligerent king/emperor and too greedy and not focused on managing your existing domain.

The key is to not piss off your vassals and the ones you know are going to cause trouble for your kids need to be quietly kneecapped prior to your death.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks for the tip, may be worth it to look at this option right before a faction is about to revolt.

I mean, I guess it would make it "easier" sure, but it's still stupid that here they are, traitor Vassals just sitting in my prison after they revolted and I'm like "Okay well they're traitors, I can only take away one title, anything else would be unfair".

It's not really that you're like "Okay well they're traitors, I can only take away one title, anything else would be unfair", it's your vassals that are like that, vassals who care very strongly about their own personal power, prestige, and landed titles. In game terms it's "easier", but it's also "easier" within the game's fiction. Every revocation makes the monarch stronger, and a strong monarch is not actually in your vassals' best interests.

For the perspective of characters in this game, at least if you merely execute the traitor, their blameless children will inherit their lands and titles. When you revoke a title therefore, you're punishing not just the vassal but the vassal's entire family. Hence your other vassals think that's a bit much--one revocation is already a more extreme punishment than execution.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Exactly. If you really want to be rid of them post revolt you can always banish them for a small tyranny penalty, split their domains out to their kids.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't treason punishable by death? So what does exiling (to force succession+partition) do that executing doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

Isn't treason punishable by death? So what does exiling (to force succession+partition) do that executing doesn't?

Banishment escheats all their property back to you, killing them just let's their heirs inherit so gives you less control.