Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Memories of Murder the other day, that’s a hell of a film. Might be my favorite Criterion blind-buy ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I watched Thelma the other night. It was a bit slow, but overall good. I really enjoyed how it led you to believe her parents were super repressive. They were, but with reason--I liked how they weren't just a cheap caricature. She ends up killing her father in the most horrible way possible. And she heals her mother who is a paraplegic, despite her mother insisting her father kill her.

The film also resisted explaining too much. It didn't describe her powers in much detail other than they were hereditary. It never explains how her mother came to be in a wheelchair, but after her baby brother and father I assume it was caused by Thelma. I like some mystery left over in a film to think about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

smallmouth posted:

I watched Thelma the other night. It was a bit slow, but overall good. I really enjoyed how it led you to believe her parents were super repressive. They were, but with reason--I liked how they weren't just a cheap caricature. She ends up killing her father in the most horrible way possible. And she heals her mother who is a paraplegic, despite her mother insisting her father kill her.

The film also resisted explaining too much. It didn't describe her powers in much detail other than they were hereditary. It never explains how her mother came to be in a wheelchair, but after her baby brother and father I assume it was caused by Thelma. I like some mystery left over in a film to think about.

Her mother was traumatized by what happened to her brother and tried, and failed, to take her own life

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Are there any movies with the same feeling as 'The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie'?
I tried 'The Exterminating Angel' and 'The Phantom of Liberty', but they didn't really do it for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That depends heavily on what you liked about Discreet Charm that you didn't find in Phantom of Liberty or Exterminatin Angel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

now that the sale is over, as promised, the SA Mart criterion swap thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975494

have fun, y'all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

now that the sale is over, as promised, the SA Mart criterion swap thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975494

have fun, y'all

Posted, been looking forward to trades for a while. I’m also definitely down for Arrow, Shout, etc trades down the line since I’ll have a ton available in a month or two.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Her mother was traumatized by what happened to her brother and tried, and failed, to take her own life

Is this said in the movie? If it was, I missed it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Memories of Murder the other day, that’s a hell of a film. Might be my favorite Criterion blind-buy ever!
Oh man that's a good one.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That depends heavily on what you liked about Discreet Charm that you didn't find in Phantom of Liberty or Exterminatin Angel.

Yes this is incredibly puzzling to me as I don't know what other options you're going to have for surrealist films about rich people eating dinner.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

Yes this is incredibly puzzling to me as I don't know what other options you're going to have for surrealist films about rich people eating dinner.

Villeneueve's short film Next Floor comes to mind.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cacator posted:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Now tell me where I can watch this, smart guy :colbert:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cacator posted:

Now tell me where I can watch this, smart guy :colbert:

Peacock has it for free (with ads).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It’s expressionistic for sure, but I wouldn’t call it surreal.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Zogo posted:

Peacock has it for free (with ads).

I'm surprised this got any kind of streaming release at all, unfortunately I do not live in a country with access to Peacock (I'm overdue for hooking up a VPN though).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

I'm surprised this got any kind of streaming release at all, unfortunately I do not live in a country with access to Peacock (I'm overdue for hooking up a VPN though).

It pops up on CC at least once a year, I think. That’s where I watched it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

saw this in the theater with my dad at age 8, for many years i only remembered bits and pieces but in some weird way it was probably the film that spurred me into loving cinema, along with seeing the thin red line at the theater in '98

additionally, the theater we saw The Cook, The Thief, ... in all those years ago is the same one i now work at lol

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

TLDR: 'Phantom' moves around too much, 'Exterminating' not enough.

The main thing that I liked about Discreet Charm over Phantom is that Discreet Charm comes across as contiguous fever dream. Phantom is more like a couple of Monty Python episodes strung together and seems more fitted to being a single season of a comedy series.
Not sure what the consensus on Exterminating Angel is here but I just think it was boring. A movie has to be amazing to pull off being in one room (only 12 Angry Men comes to mind). Great ideas and moments in Exterminating though, and I like Bunuel as a director.
As an aside his autobiography 'My Last Sigh' is worth reading if you're a fan, lots of moments in his films were taken from his life.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sounds like you're looking for the more comedic kind of surrealism but with a certain narrative coherence. You could always try some of Buñuel's other late works. Belle de Jour and That Obscure Object of Desire probably come closest to the style you're looking for. For something non-Buñuel, Daisies might appeal to you. And if you don't necessarily need a political dimension to your surrealism, Obayashi's House is worth a look.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

saw this in the theater with my dad at age 8, for many years i only remembered bits and pieces but in some weird way it was probably the film that spurred me into loving cinema, along with seeing the thin red line at the theater in '98

Did your dad not know what he was getting into or did he just figure cannibalism was a perfectly appropriate subject for an eight-year-old?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Did your dad not know what he was getting into or did he just figure cannibalism was a perfectly appropriate subject for an eight-year-old?

i think the real reason was he couldn't find a babysitter lol. i slept through some of it but i absolutely remember 'try the cock'

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sounds like you're looking for the more comedic kind of surrealism but with a certain narrative coherence. You could always try some of Buñuel's other late works. Belle de Jour and That Obscure Object of Desire probably come closest to the style you're looking for. For something non-Buñuel, Daisies might appeal to you. And if you don't necessarily need a political dimension to your surrealism, Obayashi's House is worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out!

EDIT: To fans of surrealism who prefer to avoid media created by lovely people, DO NOT read anything about any surrealist's personal life.

Super Nintendo 64 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 6, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In The Heat Of The Night owns.

Id already seen it before so it doesn't count as a win for my sale blind buys, but it's still great to have a really nice copy of In The Heat Of The Night.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Finally caught King Rat, I never really made it a priority because I knew Clavell never rated it very high as an adaptation. Overall it was pretty faithful They, unsurprisingly for a 1965 movie, cut the trans character but kept the homoerotic tones in the story. And they cut how poorly the POWs were treated by the Allied forces, again unsurprisingly.

I dont think I've seen George Segal act finer and there were some amazing scenes that sold the bleakness and isolation of the camp.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
4K coming

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1425492981814005768

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Personally I would've preferred Black Narcissus for a 4k release but I'll take any chance I can get at some old-school Technicolor with HDR.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Very cool.

One step closer to Robocop and Hard Boiled again :getin:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sweeeeeet. I wasn't sure this day would ever come.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard Boiled seems like such a no-brainer, especially with how willing they've become in recent years to release more action oriented films like the King Hu films, Lone Wolf and Cub, Police Story, etc.

It's probably one of the top-10 most important action movies ever made so it's place in the collection makes complete sense, it's not some sort of self-aware joke like Armageddon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hard Boiled = the greatest action movie ever made

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It'd be interesting to know how their selection process went. Citizen Kane, The Red Shoes, and Mulholland Drive are obvious choices given their pedigree, but I didn't expect to see Menace II Society so soon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

It'd be interesting to know how their selection process went. Citizen Kane, The Red Shoes, and Mulholland Drive are obvious choices given their pedigree, but I didn't expect to see Menace II Society so soon.

They’ve been making a concerted effort to get more POC and non masc directors into the collection and onto the channel, i imagine there was an element where that intersected with the rights they could get and the length of time since the films in consideration had gotten new releases.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That makes sense. (And also makes me hopeful we're going to see more by Charles Burnett down the line.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

That makes sense. (And also makes me hopeful we're going to see more by Charles Burnett down the line.)

That’s funny, I definitely thought “I’m kind of surprised it wasn’t killer of sheep, they’ve really highlighted that movie a lot lately”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

They’ve been making a concerted effort to get more POC and non masc directors into the collection and onto the channel, i imagine there was an element where that intersected with the rights they could get and the length of time since the films in consideration had gotten new releases.

gold star to whoever cut the trailer like a quarter century ago, ahead of the curve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrMCRkTRmiY

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

That’s funny, I definitely thought “I’m kind of surprised it wasn’t killer of sheep, they’ve really highlighted that movie a lot lately”

Killer of Sheep is on dvd from Milestone. Not sure if they still have distribution rights, but if so they recently signed a deal with Kino.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Killer of Sheep is on dvd from Milestone. Not sure if they still have distribution rights, but if so they recently signed a deal with Kino.

I don’t keep up with rights stuff at all, I know it’s always hard to find Burnett movies and when they go up on the channel it’s just for a month.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wonder what the standard MSRP for a 4k Criterion is gonna be.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Gripweed posted:

I wonder what the standard MSRP for a 4k Criterion is gonna be.

I’m guessing $40-45. The BDs retail at $27.99 out the gate, right? Maybe… $37.99?

Fake edit: actually, with it being a combo, I’d say $40+ is more likely if they’re charging $28 for a standalone BD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
MSRP for criterion blu rays is 39.99.