Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

Actually, there's my unpopular opinion, rogue-like games are horrible. They're usually combined with random generated levels which are a poor substitute for good fashion level design. Every game can be improved with good levels + a story. Rogue-like game remove both, things and lack a cohesive story and progression.

Why the gently caress are they so popular.

Good procedural generation is the future but bad procedural generation sucks. I'd be surprised if some battlefield/fortnite type games with a lot of money and servers behind them already don't have aggressively adequate AI generated maps within 5 years. It'll be a joke sometimes but it'll be so much better than playing the same 6 maps perpetually that most players won't care

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i'd much rather have a few well designed levels/maps than a bunch of procedurally generated crap. A lot of the most popular competitive games have only one map (rocket league, league of legends, chess)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i'd much rather have a few well designed levels/maps than a bunch of procedurally generated crap. A lot of the most popular competitive games have only one map (rocket league, league of legends, chess)

This is why it has to be better first. But we're already at the point where a small AI on your RTX card that no human really understands can guess what real-life looks like better than the GPU can draw it using humanity's finest algorithms so I think a machine that can competently conceive 6 or more balanced battlefield hellscapes per year isn't far behind

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 11, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
are you trying to say that in a few years real life will look like battlefield hellscapes and we'll have AI that can draw them for video games

because that sounds pretty correct

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pc gamers just play frames, they don't even play games

just constant benchmarking and restarting and then they don't even play the games

thousands of hours downloading and installing unplayed mods

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

if your smartypants ai can only spit out 6 decent maps per year (because it's either slow or the mountain of crap it creates still needs curating and/or tweaking by people) then you might as well still have people design maps in the first place

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Space Kablooey posted:

if your smartypants ai can only spit out 6 decent maps per year (because it's either slow or the mountain of crap it creates still needs curating and/or tweaking by people) then you might as well still have people design maps in the first place

What game's this?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Caesar Saladin posted:

pc gamers just play frames, they don't even play games

just constant benchmarking and restarting and then they don't even play the games

thousands of hours downloading and installing unplayed mods

Better than waiting for console load times.

My god it takes forever to do things on a console.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

The point is that's all you get from the humans at EA so it's a low bar to clear

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Roguelike/lite games such as FTL where the meta-progression is unlocking new alternate ships and playstyles are good. Roguelike/lite games where the meta-progression is "winning is impossible at first, then basically guaranteed as you stack campaign bonuses" suck rear end and are dumb.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tetrabor posted:

Lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wanted to like FTL but normal felt incredibly difficult and easy felt so easy it was pointless

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Caesar Saladin posted:

Idris Elba shouldn't play Knuckles in the new sonic movie, Knuckles should be Australian because Echidnas are iconic native Australian animals.

So what like Hugo Weaving? Chris Hemsworth? Karl Urban, just included the last one because the thought of Knuckles dropping the c-bomb all over the place is hilarious to my juvenile mind.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tim Minchin, obviously.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Suspicious Lump posted:

What is a good turn based games that is not FF or Chrono trigger? I really enjoyed Advance Wars games. I played old school XCom and was raped so hard I never played again. Hows the new one?

I played Into The Breach and it was amazing but rogue-like games are loving terrible.

Actually, there's my unpopular opinion, rogue-like games are horrible. They're usually combined with random generated levels which are a poor substitute for good fashion level design. Every game can be improved with good levels + a story. Rogue-like game remove both, things and lack a cohesive story and progression.

Why the gently caress are they so popular.

do you want games that are kinda like FF or Chrono Trigger? SMT: Nocturne is on Steam now and is imo the best PS2 era turnbased JRPG

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Suspicious Lump posted:

What is a good turn based games that is not FF or Chrono trigger? I really enjoyed Advance Wars games. I played old school XCom and was raped so hard I never played again. Hows the new one?

brah. treasure hunter g. it's a jrpg with super quick tactics-style combat, and scaling xp rewards so you level up fast and overgrind waaaay slow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Taima posted:

Then you play Sekiro at native 4K/120 fps on an OLED with literally six total milliseconds of input lag and near instant pixel response and you just immediately “get it” the first time you parry something and it’s like your controller is an extension of your very soul

'feeling the difference' with your $999 6ms monitor is about as reliable as homeopathy people "feeling the difference" in balance when they put on their magic magnet bracelet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
if Into the Breach had premade levels you could only play the game once!

games that are designed to only be played once are better games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

itry posted:

Tim Minchin, obviously.

This would actually get me to see the film haha

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

steinrokkan posted:

Pretending that marginally better performance in a video game is a transcendental experience is the true pinnacle of stupid PC gaming cultism.

(saying as somebody who's never owned a game console)

So have you tried hdmi 2.1 / OLED / 120hz with almost zero response time or are you just making things up

I have a PS5/PS4 and a Switch which is basically a glorified ti-86 calculator that plays games. I’m not even sure I would classify myself as a primarily pc gamer.

When I say those PC features are amazing I’m not looking down on console gaming or “normal” pc gaming. They are in my opinion incredible advances and must be seen to be appreciated but I’m also fine that many people don’t care about them. Why would I care how other people find their enjoyment.

It’s kinda weird how you can post about something you like and it’s sometimes seen as belittling other things, like you’re only allowed to appreciate one thing in a group of things and liking one means you don’t like the other.

Switch is good, playstation is good. Pc is good even if you’re not maximizing its potential. Gaming is good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

*throws my chess set in the trash*

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

someone had this idea and then made skyrim and fallout 4 where you can do everything on one character and everything is just kind of mediocre

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm suddenly reminded of when I bought my brothers a HDMI cable to plug their Xbox 360 into the HDTV with and they were skeptical until they went 'poo poo, this IS better'.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Deep Rock Galactic demonstrates how procedural maps can add to a gameplay experience, although that's more about the game being cleverly designed around the procgen's limitations than the procgen being perfect and amazing.

hawowanlawow posted:

someone had this idea and then made skyrim and fallout 4 where you can do everything on one character and everything is just kind of mediocre

I really doubt that making you do multiple playthroughs to see all of the content would somehow make Skyrim not mediocre.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of when I bought my brothers a HDMI cable to plug their Xbox 360 into the HDTV with and they were skeptical until they went 'poo poo, this IS better'.

lol yeah, my brother had the original 360 (before HDMI) and had it hooked up via composite rather than component. He'd had it for months. I went to visit one Christmas, swapped the cables and his mind was blown. It had never occurred to him what those three extra wires were for so he just left them unplugged.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hawowanlawow posted:

they would be fine if you just linearly went from level 1 to level 10 like mario. the problem is the 'open world'
and if the combat wasn't dogshit

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Shining Force was the best Genesis game

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tosk posted:

Shining Force was the best Genesis game

SF2 was superior to the original in every way

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I will generously extend my unpopular videogame opinion to "the Shining Force duology were the best Genesis games" if it will make you happy

I tried to play SF3 on an emulator once after a translation patch came out and gave up almost immediately, I often wonder if it was any good. Shining Force was pretty much my introduction to RPGs and cemented me as a strategy RPG lover

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It might be nostalgia talking but I liked multiplayer games but now a days they're just poo poo. Well at least the player versus player ones.

Good games if you disagree you're wrong and dumb.
Nox, Myth 1 and 2, Command and Conquer Renegade, Savage: Battle for Newerth, Unreal Tournament 98.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tetrabor posted:

Lol my pS5 SSD loads games faster than the SSD on my pc.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

veni veni veni posted:

Lol my pS5 SSD loads games faster than the SSD on my pc.

You have a slower SSD. The onboard PS5 one is slower than what you can upgrade it with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qr4JDYjj-g

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
might be the motherboard too. i picked up a samsung 980 and couldn't figure out why i was only getting half of its rated speed on the benchmark thingie and it turned out my mobo only supports pcie gen 3 and the drive wants gen 4 for full speed

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its not that consoles are inferior, its that i can't play starcraft 2 on them

Does that make the Nintendo 64 the superior console since you could play Starcraft and Brood war on it?

Duck and Cover posted:

Command and Conquer Renegade

This had some amazing multiplayer. Nothing will beat the high of executing a successful engineer rush. I'm surprised more games haven't tried the "RTS but everyone is a grunt." That's one of the reasons I liked Narural Selection 2 so much.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Tosk posted:

I will generously extend my unpopular videogame opinion to "the Shining Force duology were the best Genesis games" if it will make you happy

I tried to play SF3 on an emulator once after a translation patch came out and gave up almost immediately, I often wonder if it was any good. Shining Force was pretty much my introduction to RPGs and cemented me as a strategy RPG lover

sf3 is good but it's got far too much boring dialogue, especially upfront. i've only completed scenario 1, actually had it on the saturn. my saturn was broke and wiped its data when you turned it off so we left the game on for weeks at a time. played sc2 and a bit of 3, more of the same stuff so there's load of it if you can get into it.

the battle system is the same as 2 with extra features like unit friendship etc, and it's got a lot of good secrets as you go along. going back to linearity after 2 is a bit of a downgrade, but on the plus side the game is more consistently challenging than 2 which even on the hardest setting is a cakewalk except for about 3 battles.

it's a shame that series died.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Paper mario the thousand year door is a best jrpg eva

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I suddenly want procgen square meter sized chess boards with terrain

I mean you could almost do procgen terrain with a system of d100 dice rolls and transparencies

Like a Warhammer/chess hybrid game that is bias much more towards chess strats

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The water temple is the only fun dungeon in OoT

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doctor J Off posted:

The water temple is the only fun dungeon in OoT

truth. there are a couple rough spots in it, like the key under the platform and the whirlpool room. but aside from that it's a head scratcher in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my unpopular opinion is that OoT was trash and everyone who remembers it fondly is just nostalgic