Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can't let Ryuji have a triumphant moment, heavens no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

New Mission Start! day

Before I go in I should probably get this billiards Technical upgrade, that sounds like it could be helpful

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Presented without comment

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Strikers talk: I figured Zenkichi would get his own Anime Moment, but that special ability to get extra damage at the expense of HP then gain HP when turned off seems kinda nuts. More French/European-inspired outfits and personas in the future, please.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am watching a stream of Persona Q2 and: why does the music for a portable spinoff bop so hard

Edit: hello femc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHf_Gn7tU_U

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am watching a stream of Persona Q2 and: why does the music for a portable spinoff bop so hard

Edit: hello femc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHf_Gn7tU_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jki0Xpup0Qo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pretending I don't see Ryuji as I walk past him to go hang out with Kasumi

After going to batting cages for the confidant, I went back in the evening to grind up Proficiency (I think I can get the final Technical upgrade before doing the 4th palace...) It took me 40 hits to get 3 home runs lol, is there a "trick" to it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just realized I don't think I ever used the batting cages during my playthrough of vanilla, I have no idea what they do or how to use them.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pretending I don't see Ryuji as I walk past him to go hang out with Kasumi

After going to batting cages for the confidant, I went back in the evening to grind up Proficiency (I think I can get the final Technical upgrade before doing the 4th palace...) It took me 40 hits to get 3 home runs lol, is there a "trick" to it

Yeah, you read a book from the adult book store.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am "somewhat close" to improving my Proficiency, I hope I can get to 5 before the deadline. There do seem to be a lot of days left but Morgana just forced me to hold a Phantom Thieves meeting...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chihaya is too powerful, this was quicker than I anticipated. Tomorrow I will become a "Billiards Master"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Chihaya is too powerful, this was quicker than I anticipated. Tomorrow I will become a "Billiards Master"

but your other social stats are still at 3 :ohdear:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno guys I think they're getting ready to announce persona 6

just a hunch

Let me play as a girl! And let me be gay.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Finally, after some unexpected delays (can't read during the day during holidays lol)

I can go to the palace now, or I guess I can hang out with Ryuji...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Let me play as a girl! And let me be gay.

Bold idea, make p6 female pc only with the male pc being an updated re release feature.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The voice acting for these movies is always great

https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1423510243460354049

Edit: so good I saw it again with Yusuke (kindness bonus whoo)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Palace 4 Trip Report:

Rocking the Yasogami high outfits for this one.

Took 4 hours and 39 minutes. Went relatively smoothly except for one time Anubis wiped my party with Mahamaon lol

At this point I have no pressure over resource management. Even if I didn't use my 50 pounds of curry and coffee I have stocked up, I got this in a Fusion Accident lol

Finished the day by watching Mouse, M.D.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really really really hope part of the 25 year persona thing is p5 royal on PC. I haven't played it since it came out on ps3 in 2017. While it is my least favorite of the 3-5, I'd love to replay it. iunno why they're so weird about platforms. I figured with p4 golden and strikers it was just a matter of time, then .... nothing, lol.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Strikers on PC, did they ever fix the loading issues it was suffering from? I remember so many people were frustrated with that when it first launched and hope they didn’t abandon it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: so good I saw it again with Yusuke (kindness bonus whoo)

Semi-related, I knew Makoto was for me when she really dug gangster movies.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Spiffster posted:

Speaking of Strikers on PC, did they ever fix the loading issues it was suffering from? I remember so many people were frustrated with that when it first launched and hope they didn’t abandon it.

Have the Steam version. No loading issues observed so far.

Just finished the Osaka Jail and I think I've settled into the battle mechanics now. I'm just playing the battles now similar to how I played FF7R last year - cast buffs, a little hack-n-slash, pause to figure out my next move by holding down R1, hit weaknesses, swap characters a lot especially if the active character is getting targeted.

Kinda wish the game leaned more into the slice of life stuff especially since the original premise of P5 was supposedly a big jaunt around the world which Strikers is delivering on a smaller scale. Still, this is a game I'm motivated to finish, which means this joins Valkyria Chronicles 4, P4G and P5R on the list of 2021 titles I haven't dropped off of.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh right, for palace 4 you immediately fight the boss the same day when you send the calling card right? I probably should have budgeted more time today lol

Edit: On Merciless, Palace 2 boss was a complete "eat poo poo phantom thieves lol" and Palace 3 was slightly more difficult than normal, Palace 4 definitely seemed like "oh this is about the story so don't worry about it"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 9, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Palace 4 Trip Report:

Rocking the Yasogami high outfits for this one.

Took 4 hours and 39 minutes. Went relatively smoothly except for one time Anubis wiped my party with Mahamaon lol

At this point I have no pressure over resource management. Even if I didn't use my 50 pounds of curry and coffee I have stocked up, I got this in a Fusion Accident lol

Finished the day by watching Mouse, M.D.

Man I hope at least some of the outfits in p6 are free. Getting stuff like the halloween or pagent outfits in p4g was cool.

Mirello posted:

I really really really hope part of the 25 year persona thing is p5 royal on PC. I haven't played it since it came out on ps3 in 2017. While it is my least favorite of the 3-5, I'd love to replay it. iunno why they're so weird about platforms. I figured with p4 golden and strikers it was just a matter of time, then .... nothing, lol.

No please I don't wanna buy it a 3rd time :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished the main storyline for Strikers. Clocked in at just over 38 hours total.

I'll probably end up finishing the postgame stuff and maxing out the Steam cheevos over the next several days.

Things I liked:
  • They took the already incredible P5 soundtrack and added some great remixes and a couple of good new tunes IMO. Had a blast listening to the BG music while playing.
  • The devs took the opportunity to flesh out some of the underdeveloped characters in P5/P5R and generally succeeded. The cast now feels more well-rounded.
  • Road-tripping through Japan as the setting was great as I was familiar with several of the places the Phantom Thieves visited and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed my own trips.
  • The devs did a helluva job in introducing and establishing the new Phantom Thieves Wolf and Sophie as relatable characters. Sophie in particular reminded me a lot of Vivi from FFIX in that her journey of learning and growth was also central to the story.

Things I'm meh about or disliked:
  • The combat mechanics were just ok for me. I settled into them more or less by halfway through the game but boss fights more or less devolved to P5-style of fighting - buff, spam elemental weakness, toss items around like crazy. Gimme the old turn-based combat any day.
  • The slice of life stuff that really drew me into P5R felt lacking here. As mentioned previously, I wish the game leaned more into that especially since the original premise of P5 was supposedly a big jaunt around the world which Strikers is delivering on a smaller scale.
  • The post-Kyoto storyline devolving into a retread of P5 was kinda disappointing. Konoe as Shido-adjace (even down to the boss fight mechanics), Demiurge being character-wise a repeat of Yaldabaoth, and the final 2 jails being Mementos-adjace left me a little let down by the final 3 or so hours of the game.

Overall: A good, almost-great sequel to P5. Will probably end up on my top 10 list for 2021 mainly because I play such long games in general lol.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I will try to eventually give Strikers another try but I just don't like the Warriors combat system and there's not really any way around that. I kept finding things like Yusuke's counterattack move that would make me think, oh, it is possible to play this game much more like a character action game than I thought but then kept finding tons of instances where enemies have unblockable attacks and every boss has a million AoE moves and I realize, no, this is the Yakuza design where you're just supposed to chug healing potions and push the X button a lot

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
After watching most of the Giant Bomb lp of 4 a while back I gave 5 a shot and loved it and subsequently played 3, which I liked even more, and am currently working on 4 Golden, which has the best music.

Any suggestions on what to play next? There are a lot of options. Does P5S incorporate any of the new characters from P5R? Do the dancing games have much of a story?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Persona 5 Strikers is a direct sequel to Persona 5 but it was developed concurrently with Royal so it doesn't acknowledge any of those story developments.

Persona 4 Dancing has a full VN story, as do Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax the fighting games. The P3/P5 dancing games have a lot of character vignettes and fun interactions but not actual plot development

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

After watching most of the Giant Bomb lp of 4 a while back I gave 5 a shot and loved it and subsequently played 3, which I liked even more, and am currently working on 4 Golden, which has the best music.

It's hard to recommend any of the Persona spinoffs other than Strikers if you're not interested in them outside of the fact that they have a Persona coat of paint on them. Like, if you don't like rhythm games, the Persona rhythm games aren't going to do anything for you. PersonaQ is like the monkey's paw version of a Persona crossover game from a characterization perspective, but the gameplay is fun and broken if you like the Etrian Odyssey games, but if you aren't interested in a much more barebones dungeon crawler without all of the story to space things out, like I said, the coat of paint won't make it worth it.

If you liked Persona 3 a lot, I'd recommend trying Caligula Effect Overdose. It's got a very similar vibe and tone, and the combat is really fun. The non-Overdose version for Vita is dogshit though, avoid it, they completely redid the game for Overdose. If you haven't tried mainline SMT games, P3 is the one they're most like from a mechanics perspective. Nocturne is the easy recommend, but the presentation is way more minimalist. If you like tactics RPG's, Devil Survivor is one of my favorite games. On that note, Fire Emblem: Three Houses has the same sort of calendar system and social link sort of stuff going on, that game is awesome if you have a Switch, but is getting a little bit farther away from being something I would say is "like Persona."

Otherwise, it's tough to identify games that capture the same energy that P4/P5 have. I really love the murder mystery components to them in addition to the party dynamic of a bunch of friends just chilling out doing cool stuff. Even jrpgs that take place in schools like Mana Khemia I wouldn't really put in the same category. If you cared more about the narrative and characters than the actual minute-to-minute gameplay of P4/P5, I'd be way more tempted to recommend something like 999/VLR than any Final Fantasy game, for example.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What about Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is pretty good but it also feels a little underbaked until you really expand your sessions in the midgame.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about Tokyo Mirage Sessions

It's strictly fine but does a very very bad job of actually making you feel like the game tried to incorporate elements from either SMT or Fire Emblem. I think I wouldn't be so harsh on it if I could remove my knowledge of who made it and how they advertised the game, but as a combination of SMT and FE it's a massive letdown

The extent of the Fire Emblem influence in the game begins and ends at character names

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

What I was expecting from the initial advertisement around TMS

Which is....very much not what happened.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Yeah hyping up a big SMT X Fire Emblem crossover and then coming out a few years later with a idol culture rainbow jpop thing was a ... bold move.

I enjoyed it the first time around, but I have very little attachment to SMT or Fire Emblem, although when I picked up Encore I found my tolerence level for Anime tropes (captial A Anime, you knoe the kind of tropes I'm talking about) had dropped considerably since the first spin and I was sick of everyone by the third dungeon

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Although I will say the soundtrack's real good

https://youtu.be/BFO0E0g6Sqo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Raylax posted:

Although I will say the soundtrack's real good

https://youtu.be/BFO0E0g6Sqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxJ97dG-HLw

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you cared more about the narrative and characters than the actual minute-to-minute gameplay of P4/P5, I'd be way more tempted to recommend something like 999/VLR than any Final Fantasy game, for example.

The narrative, music, and characters are definitely the main draws for me, but the combat system is pretty fun too. It’s like pokemon but more involved and interesting. All of the components really synergize in these games in a way that makes the experience much more enjoyable than games that only have one or two of them. I thought FE: Three Houses was going to be hella my jam because I love xcom and persona, but it’s lacking the overall (admittedly “young adult”) theme of discovering who you are and consciously molding that to be a better person.

Every social link has a meaningful message and arc. Simple things like the narration when you level up a social link add a lot. Seeing something like, “you sense that Nanako is relying on you” or whatever makes me think about my own personal relationships and how I could notice and approach things differently. Those kinds of interactions are what set Persona apart imo and I’m now realizing that all of these things coming together is probably pretty special and unique.

That said I do plan to try stuff like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim and Nocturne and look into 999/VLR which I hadn’t heard of. OP also mentions Persona 2 quite positively so probably that too. Strikers for sure.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Obligatory Danganronpa series recommendation to go alongside the Persona & Zero Escape series

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

That said I do plan to try stuff like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim and Nocturne and look into 999/VLR which I hadn’t heard of. OP also mentions Persona 2 quite positively so probably that too. Strikers for sure.

13Sentinels was my goty for last year, that game loving rules. It's in a very similar vein to 999/VLR, I would absolutely give them all a chance, though it's definitely lighter on the personal development arcs. But yeah, I think part of that is why Persona is still special - no one else is even really coming close to nailing the package deal of Persona, even though its been 15 years since P3

Raylax posted:

Obligatory Danganronpa series recommendation to go alongside the Persona & Zero Escape series

God one day I will play Danganronpa3, I played the first two explicitly because I was told the third one was so good but just have not done it yet for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The narrative, music, and characters are definitely the main draws for me, but the combat system is pretty fun too. It’s like pokemon but more involved and interesting. All of the components really synergize in these games in a way that makes the experience much more enjoyable than games that only have one or two of them. I thought FE: Three Houses was going to be hella my jam because I love xcom and persona, but it’s lacking the overall (admittedly “young adult”) theme of discovering who you are and consciously molding that to be a better person.

Every social link has a meaningful message and arc. Simple things like the narration when you level up a social link add a lot. Seeing something like, “you sense that Nanako is relying on you” or whatever makes me think about my own personal relationships and how I could notice and approach things differently. Those kinds of interactions are what set Persona apart imo and I’m now realizing that all of these things coming together is probably pretty special and unique.

I might be biased because FE3H was sort of my introduction to Persona and Persona-inspired games but I still like it better than P5/S because the cast of characters is so good, even if it’s overarching storytelling is a mess. I’ve really been digging Nocturne and I played about an hour of 13 Sentinels and it’s just a little too anime for me. The weird sexual politics of P5 was one of the low points of that game and Giant Titty Nurse was a real good excuse to peace out of 13SAR.

Strikers should be next on your list IMO it’s storytelling is better than even P5R because it’s got a more consistent vibe