Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The fact is, a well-made Blu-ray looks very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah I like hard Day's night but I'm gonna be a bit more selective about upgrading to uhd than I was with upgrading to blu-ray, so I'm also gonna skip a double dip on it.

It's a smart choice though. Beatles fans will absolutely buy the poo poo out of it.

I'd like to see some of Pennebaker's documentaries get 4ks. Monterey Pop and Dont Look Back 4ks please.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

It's a smart choice though. Beatles fans will absolutely buy the poo poo out of it.

Oh yeah, this might get my dad to buy a 4k TV finally on it's own.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

The fact is, a well-made Blu-ray looks very good.

Yea I was trying to explain this to a co-worker recently who just got into 4k. The most important question to ask when considering if a 4k release is worth it is how was the quality of the previous blu ray? Was it a half-assed job that was released in the first days of the format? Was it heavily DNR'd before the companies realized that movie fans didn't want that? The jump from blu ray to UHD is a lot more or less dramatic depending on what blu ray you're talking about.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been curious. Are there ANY rumors for Stop Making Sense to get a 4k UHD yet? I'm surprised with the success of American Utopia, the latest memoir from Chris and Tina, and it being one of the most notable concert films of all time, that it still hasn't had any mention of a release.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I was trying to explain this to a co-worker recently who just got into 4k. The most important question to ask when considering if a 4k release is worth it is how was the quality of the previous blu ray? Was it a half-assed job that was released in the first days of the format? Was it heavily DNR'd before the companies realized that movie fans didn't want that? The jump from blu ray to UHD is a lot more or less dramatic depending on what blu ray you're talking about.

I can see you getting a call from HR after inviting your co-worker over to your PC to show them DVDBeaver.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

They just announced five others, too:
MENACE II SOCIETY, THE PIANO, MULHOLLAND DR., THE RED SHOES, and A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
I was really hoping The Ice Storm would make the first round. Criminally underrated movie.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Give me my Armageddon 4K with Dolby Vision, I don't want to miss a thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I've been curious. Are there ANY rumors for Stop Making Sense to get a 4k UHD yet? I'm surprised with the success of American Utopia, the latest memoir from Chris and Tina, and it being one of the most notable concert films of all time, that it still hasn't had any mention of a release.

I would do horrible, unspeakable things to make this happen. They'd have to have my trial at the Hague.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
gently caress YES MENACE II SOCIETY. It’s current BluRay is really meh and it’s honestly one of the best of that era of Black-centric 90s films. The yin to Boyz N Tha Hood’s yang. That’ll be a day one.

Also, I think Arrow does 3-tiers on the new releases:

Super Limited Edition (Arte Originale Argento’s for example)
Limited Edition (the nice cases, maybe extra cuts, little trinkets)
Steelbook, maybe barebones.

And then 6 months or so is the regular release. I think Django was the fastest to go from Limited to Refulae since i started paying attention. 3 months between the releases.

That highest tier is limited to direct from Arrow or partners like DiabolikDVD or GrindhouseFilms. I assume maybe a few other boutique sellers based on feedback here.

My Bird w the Crystal Plumage LE shows up today. Never seen it, but figured why the hell not.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Surprised no one is amped about The Red Shoes, that’s going to look incredible

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

My Bird w the Crystal Plumage LE shows up today. Never seen it, but figured why the hell not.

It looks amazing. Really nice presentation.

My only issue with Arrow releases, which I realized with Crystal Plumage was a consistent "problem" (noticed this for Tremors, Crash and King of New York as well) is that the sound design on the menu is set louder than the actual movie. So every time I start it up, I gotta lower the volume, then start the movie and raise the volume. It's a small problem, but a noticeable one if I didn't think ahead. I think Crash was the worst offender.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would do horrible, unspeakable things to make this happen. They'd have to have my trial at the Hague.

I still only have it on DVD. Just seems like a no brainer now that we've got HDR and Dolby Atmos for the sound design to really make it the best experience.

DeimosRising posted:

Never seen it. It's gonna be a blind buy for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

I mentioned in the Criterion thread that I personally would've preferred Black Narcissus. But yea I'll be grabbing Red Shoes 4k immediately.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Anything by Powell & Pressburger deserves a UHD release as soon as possible. I'm a bit sad it'll take a while till we reach The Tales of Hoffmann, which is possibly the most beautiful thing ever filmed in Technicolor.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

E.G.G.S. posted:

Give me my Armageddon 4K with Dolby Vision, I don't want to miss a thing.

:hmmyes:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like a surprising amount of Armageddon's effects were practical weren't they? Like, the whole portion of the movie on the asteroid was a set they build wasn't it? So it would probably be a pretty solid UHD candidate.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Never seen it. It's gonna be a blind buy for me.

Oh, I think you’re going to love it. It’s really a horror film, Black Swan is essentially a lesser remake

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Oh, I think you’re going to love it. It’s really a horror film, Black Swan is essentially a lesser remake

Wait, really? But Black Swan is also a remake of Perfect Blue... This is the first time I've heard Red Shoes described this way.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Wait, really? But Black Swan is also a remake of Perfect Blue... This is the first time I've heard Red Shoes described this way.

All the lesbian and identity confusion stuff is from perfect blue, the hallucinatory dance sequences are straight out of Red Shoes and they pretty much the same ending, as would Perfect Blue if it ended like 5 minutes earlier instead of Rumi and Mima both surviving. Remake might be a bit strong but it’s a super clear and heavy influence.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the shoes are going to be so RED with HDR.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

All the lesbian and identity confusion stuff is from perfect blue, the hallucinatory dance sequences are straight out of Red Shoes and they pretty much the same ending, as would Perfect Blue if it ended like 5 minutes earlier instead of Rumi and Mima both surviving. Remake might be a bit strong but it’s a super clear and heavy influence.

This rules. Definitely bumping it up on my list, cuz I thought it was just a standard charming song-and-dance flick. I appreciate it!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I didn’t click through the tweet, so I thought that Citizen Kane was the only UHD and the others were blu-Ray. But then I saw Mulholland Dr. and it clicked, I clicked through and HELL YES MENACE II SOCIETY ON UHD!!! I never would have though, I’m 5x more pumped!

EDIT: and it looks like Unbreakable is getting a UHD? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/unbrea...p?skuId=6470686

So hopefully we’ll have the other early M. Night’s coming

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

the shoes are going to be so RED with HDR.

The director has made some changes to make the movie closer to his original vision and the shoes are now blue. This was for sure how he intended it originally and not a change made on a whim decades later.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vince MechMahon posted:

The director has made some changes to make the movie closer to his original vision and the shoes are now blue. This was for sure how he intended it originally and not a change made on a whim decades later.

Was it directed by Ridley Scott and/or George Lucas??

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Scott’s work actually improves when he recuts it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Was it directed by Ridley Scott and/or George Lucas??

I was going for Wong Kar Wai but those also work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casimir Radon posted:

Scott’s work actually improves when he recuts it.

Yes and no. Kingdom of Heaven is the obvious example of the director's cut being far superior, and Blade Runner is the 900-pound elephant in the room, but the alternate cuts of Gladiator, Alien, Robin Hood and The Counselor really don't add much at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No Maclunky, no deal. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

Yes and no. Kingdom of Heaven is the obvious example of the director's cut being far superior, and Blade Runner is the 900-pound elephant in the room, but the alternate cuts of Gladiator, Alien, Robin Hood and The Counselor really don't add much at all.

The alternate cut of Alien actually takes stuff away - it’s a little shorter than the theatrical cut.

I didn’t even realize there was an alternate cut of Gladiator.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

I got the feeling that the alternate version of Alien was just because Fox asked him to make one and he tried something different; I don’t think he considers it better than the theatrical cut. I do find it remarkable that he managed to add at least two new scenes (listening to the derelict signal, people being cocooned) yet the overall runtime is shorter. That’s the only example I can think of where a director has actually made a shorter alternate cut.

Edit: :arghfist:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

The alt cut of Gladiator doesn’t really do it a disservice though. I’ve never seen The Counselor, and Robin Hood sucked so much I don’t want to sit through it again especially in an extended format.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I got the feeling that the alternate version of Alien was just because Fox asked him to make one and he tried something different; I don’t think he considers it better than the theatrical cut. I do find it remarkable that he managed to add at least two new scenes (listening to the derelict signal, people being cocooned) yet the overall runtime is shorter. That’s the only example I can think of where a director has actually made a shorter alternate cut.

Edit: :arghfist:
He definitely prefers the theatrical cut, there’s an intro by him that you can watch on the Blu-ray where he says as much.

What’s extra dumb is that he used some sort of new sound effect for the Derelict signal scene in the 2003 “directors cut”, when the original deleted scene version is way, way creepier.

https://youtu.be/9UwYJRj2Zao

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

This rules. Definitely bumping it up on my list, cuz I thought it was just a standard charming song-and-dance flick. I appreciate it!

It’s a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale and I believe out of all of the Powell and Pressburgers that Scorsese loves, it’s this one that he holds the most in high esteem. It really is one of the best movies of all time, and I would say definitely the best ballet film ever, no contenders to the crown. I’m more excited it’s getting a UHD than Kane! Makes sense, though, the restoration was done at 4K, and I imagine they’re gonna get as many Powell pictures as they can on the format because who knows how long Thelma Schoonmaker will be around to approve them seeing as she’s 81 (as not just being maybe the best editor in film history, she’s also Powell’s widow, marrying and taking care of him in the last years of his life).

Also the restoration effort alone was insane. Three years of work, no frame skipped, from some incredibly horrible damage. They pulled the film out of death itself, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MutSl2dFE0E

“Why do you want to dance?”
“Why do you want to live?”
“Well, I don’t know exactly why, but… I must.”
“That’s my answer, too.”

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Pfff, I've heard that the entire film is now a sepia green like Memories of Murder. THAT is how it was supposed to look.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh heck yeah, I just found out that Nothing But Trouble's getting a blu-ray release. Pre-ordered immediately.

Ambulance, ya got a chance! In a hearse... gotta be worse!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I wanna ride Mr. Bonestripper

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cross posting with the horror thread:

Watching the streaming version of The Thing in 4K and uh whew yes it’s definitely nice (even for streaming quality) but you can definitely see all the bones on this one. The clarity is stunning in the effects and you can really get a good look at the whole kit and kaboodle. For better or for worse. If you ever wondered what they were really burning in the dog pen, you’re about to find out. I don’t mind it, it still sells but it was definitely something I don’t remember seeing before. Even in the Shout! 4K Blu-Ray transfer. Oh and there’s a lot of wonderful colors in the goop. Every stretched slime trail between fingers, melting tendons and wet flesh. Excited to rewatch when the disc comes in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching the 4K UHD of The Matrix :stwoon: Considering I didn't see it when it was in theaters, that's the best I've ever seen that movie look. No green tint or anything! And that detail, omg.

I know I'm late to this party, but after watching 2 UHDs, I'm willing to declare this the best possible home viewing experience. I'm sure I said the same thing when I first saw a Blu-Ray in action, but seriously, where does physical media even go from here?

I got Blade Runner 2049 on UHD, too, so I can't wait to watch that one sometime this weekend. While watching The Matrix, I convinced myself that I need the John Wicks (Johns Wick?) so I ordered that as well. This format is gonna take quite a bit of money from me if I let it, haha

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished watching the 4K UHD of The Matrix :stwoon: Considering I didn't see it when it was in theaters, that's the best I've ever seen that movie look. No green tint or anything! And that detail, omg.

I know I'm late to this party, but after watching 2 UHDs, I'm willing to declare this the best possible home viewing experience. I'm sure I said the same thing when I first saw a Blu-Ray in action, but seriously, where does physical media even go from here?

I got Blade Runner 2049 on UHD, too, so I can't wait to watch that one sometime this weekend. While watching The Matrix, I convinced myself that I need the John Wicks (Johns Wick?) so I ordered that as well. This format is gonna take quite a bit of money from me if I let it, haha

wait, isn't the green tint supposed to be there?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They added it to the home versions, I still remember everyone complaining especially as the VHS looked like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nah they added it for the first blu ray to match the sequels and it looked like poo poo. Even neo's beard stubble was green.