Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was crying after the whole sequence near the beginning of "Get Hoppy!" Jack warning Dan about becoming like the rest of the students, Caleb's excitement about getting to talk ska with Durbin, the "I'm bad" comment, the candy bar, culminating in "Do you see?"

Very little is relevant to the plot but it's all gold. "You da bitch Caleb, you da bitch!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only real criticism of the show is there are just so many characters, iMDB says 17 people in 20+ of the 37 episodes that have aired. It's not a huge amount of breathing room. They've gotten better at juggling them though from memory of the show as it went on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AP Bio’s real cool, I’m lookin forward to more

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I know kids are played by people on their 20's, but come the gently caress on

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dude looks like he's been teaching chemistry for 20 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

White Lotus is renewed for season 2 with new location and cast

https://ew.com/tv/white-lotus-mike-white-season-2-renewal/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Reservation dogs is weird and I like it a lot.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I couldn't find a thread for The Americans and have been spoiled after going through The Wire, Sopranos, and part of Mad Men with Jerusalem's amazing commentary. Does anyone have any recommendations for companion pieces as I rewatch the series? Would love to read some thoughtful analysis on the historical context of everything that's going on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone watching Reservation Dogs? First episode seemed interesting but didn't totally grab me. I want to give anything Taika does a chance though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Tosk posted:

I couldn't find a thread for The Americans and have been spoiled after going through The Wire, Sopranos, and part of Mad Men with Jerusalem's amazing commentary. Does anyone have any recommendations for companion pieces as I rewatch the series? Would love to read some thoughtful analysis on the historical context of everything that's going on.

The first few seasons got reviewed by a duo on the AV Club in a back-and-forth format and those are pretty good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

My only real criticism of the show is there are just so many characters, iMDB says 17 people in 20+ of the 37 episodes that have aired. It's not a huge amount of breathing room. They've gotten better at juggling them though from memory of the show as it went on.
Yeah, I like the show, but I think it would have worked better as an hour long format. There are three distinct plot circles; Jack, the Faculty, and the Students and it strains at the edges combining them all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen it since S2 but I feel like I thought that actually worked in its favor by not running out of stories with each compartment or getting sick of them too fast. Then again I didn't imagine that those kids would still be in that class four years later. So I dunno.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Obligatory mention that The Mick was also great and it sucks that it didn't get a 3rd season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now that Mac has his own critically liked comedy did I miss Charlie's?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Obligatory mention that The Mick was also great and it sucks that it didn't get a 3rd season.

Seeing Jimmy pop up in other shows has been a blessing. I never recognize him right away, and then I end up screaming "Holy poo poo it's Jimmy!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Now that Mac has his own critically liked comedy did I miss Charlie's?

He gets to do movies.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Also he works on MQ with Rob.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Posted this in the game show thread, but I wanted to mention it here as well:

https://twitter.com/BUZZRtv/status/1425245626477039624?s=19

Chances are you've never heard of it unless you've seen any of my posts, but it's one of those old game shows that has a cult following with the handful of us game show nerds out there.

Like, people think of the game show stereotypes of loud music, colorful set with lots of flashing lights, complicated rules, and overly caffeinated contestants. Whew treated every one of those qualities as part of a to-do list.

And as far as I'm concerned, it works. Ain't figured out if it's in spite of or perhaps because of it, but either way it won me over. I say check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIQkyaZETF0

I mean, I thought it was worth a mention; The last time I was this hyped about game shows was when somebody found an episode of The Moneymaze, just because everybody figured that was one of those shows lost to history because the powers that were at the time didn't figure there'd be much monetary value in old game show reruns.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2021

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

:cheers: but sad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pouring out my bong for fallen homie The Mick.

Vincent posted:

I know kids are played by people on their 20's, but come the gently caress on

Nah, you can tell he's a kid because he's sitting in the little desk.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Its new Riverdale day. Nature is healing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the first episode of "What If." The animation is so much better than the DC cartoons. DC have a cool handdrawn look but they are made so cheaply. "What If" kind of looks like a well animated Telltale game.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is some absolute bullshit:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1425504216165097476

Generic White Guy sexual harasser host and anti-vax rape apologist as the emcee. Don't think I'll be watching Jeopardy anymore.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think Bialik is doing specials while MR is doing the regular day to day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bland executive and an anti vaxxer. Just great.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Tosk posted:

+1

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
God, she made Blossom such an irritating and obnoxious show even in it's own time. I remember nothing about Blossom the show besides how terrible that character was.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TV Zombie posted:

I think Bialik is doing specials while MR is doing the regular day to day.

That makes no difference. Jeopardy needed to gain more audience, since their average viewer is 60+, amd with this decision they aren't getting anyone new and driving away a good chunk of the under 60 crowd.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

God, she made Blossom such an irritating and obnoxious show even in it's own time. I remember nothing about Blossom the show besides how terrible that character was.

I remember Joey Lawrence said "woah"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess in fairness while Bialik IS anti-vax she says her family has all gotten the Covid vax. Which is a bizarre rear end position to hold.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

STAC Goat posted:

I guess in fairness while Bialik IS anti-vax she says her family has all gotten the Covid vax. Which is a bizarre rear end position to hold.

Yeah I don't think she deserves any kudos here when she has spent close to a decade spewing her "there are just too many vaccines" stance (including writing a book about it) just because she and her kids got the COVID vax. She's shilling snake oil brain pills in prime time commercial space right now. I have never watched BBT and am only aware of her prior to this announcement due to her lovely anti-science views.

Thanks to the Jeopardy thread I now also know she's got plenty of other lovely non-vaccine related opinions too!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sirotan posted:

Generic White Guy sexual harasser host and anti-vax rape apologist as the emcee. Don't think I'll be watching Jeopardy anymore.

:same: Yeah, gently caress that. I’ve been a big Jeopardy! fan since I was a kid, but those two are just the worst possible hosts. Even if LeVar was wrong for it, I’d have rather had the loving football player or Ken Jennings take the hosting duties over a bland ringer suit and a dipshit anti-vaxxer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently ratings were down 42 percent during LeVar's stint : (

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I don't think she deserves any kudos here when she has spent close to a decade spewing her "there are just too many vaccines" stance (including writing a book about it) just because she and her kids got the COVID vax. She's shilling snake oil brain pills in prime time commercial space right now. I have never watched BBT and am only aware of her prior to this announcement due to her lovely anti-science views.

Thanks to the Jeopardy thread I now also know she's got plenty of other lovely non-vaccine related opinions too!

Fair. I just didn't know anything about her deal so I looked it up and "anti vax except with Covid" threw me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Apparently ratings were down 42 percent during LeVar's stint : (

The majority of the audience are old white people. It doesn't take much to guess why.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

The majority of the audience are old white people. It doesn't take much to guess why.

Also the Olympics, olds love the Olympics

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah I think White Lotus is what’s gonna push me over the edge to finally watch Enlightened. I NEED more Mike White written stuff.

Oh its that Mike White, the teacher dude from School of Rock. interesting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sirotan posted:

The new host should've been Watson. But make it a giant black obelisk with cylon eyes. It's judging you.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

They should have just kept a revolving monthly door of celebrity guest host stints. Help keep some of those aging actors who are losing their SAG benefits in the pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CW's live action Powerpuff Girls has started to come apart at the seams as Chloe Bennet has exited the project (which was going to eventually shoot another pilot) due to "scheduling conflicts."