Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Another famous person with lovely parents: Quentin Tarantino.

Good for him.

It's reflected in his work too. In Tarantino movies mothers and fathers almost don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Which childhood trauma made him a toe-sucker?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Who What Now posted:

Both of his parents probably hosed up his head tbh, I've read stories and wow, gently caress his horrible dad esp.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It is so drat typical that the interviewer tried to convince him to forgive his mother.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Ok so, wow. After months I've finally finished reading this thread cover to cover. As others have said, it definitely put some things into perspective.

My parents are divorced, and I think my current situation with my father could be called a 'mutual' estrangement. But he definitely took some pages out of the estranged parent handbook around when I went to in college. 'If you move up here i'll give you a car', 'if you don't contact me more I'm taking you out of the will', etc. Though he never took it some of the extremes discussed in this thread, blessfully.

Interestingly, in recent years he seems to have pivoted pretty hard, owing to finally marrying somebody good for him again. He even told me, of our current low/no contact relationship 'I didn't want to be like my dad and make it an obligation'. Which, by all accounts, his dad was a real piece of poo poo: drill instructor, alcoholic, brought in step family that were explicitly abusive to him. In hindsight it was big of him to even give his dad the time of day. He himself got the hell out of dodge and seemed to be quasi-estranged from his father by the sound of it (his mother died soon after his birth). My mom theorized once that growing up in such an environment might have caused him to normalize a certain ambient level of conflict, causing him to create it if none was present sometimes. Anyway, I feel the real reason he's happy with our current level of contact is probably something more along the lines of him being more comfortable with his new family.

He's ND in some social ways, as am I. Without getting into too much detail I believe the wedge that was driven between us in my formative years was driven by his intense desire to have me grow up "normal" and do "normal" things. Not like, "normal" in terms of like 'cis/het', though I am, but "normal" in terms of not presenting any trace of ND affects. He had quite the fixation on my verbal pronunciation (which it turned out was perfectly normal for a kid), habits, hobbies, etc. I get what he was going for but I think he overcorrected pretty hard and would have been better off leaving well enough alone in a lot of areas. Also his second and third wives were unbelievably toxic, making visiting pretty miserable at the time. After graduation we just kind of drifted apart, emailing less and less until now it's something between yearly and quarterly and I seem to be the one who has to initiate each time. We did have a nice dinner a few years ago though.

Anyway having said all this I realize this is a pretty rich thing to want in this particular thread, especially with that set up, but I don't like this current minimal level of relationship. It feels wrong to me somehow. I feel like there's the potential for some better understanding at least, now that his particularly toxic exs are not in the picture, and we're both in much better places in our life, and the more egregious points of conflict are decades old at this point and largely forgotten.

Is it even possible to have a normal relationship in this kind of situation? I realize it's probably too late to have any meaningful sort of positive parental relationship, but surely something would be better than this nothing? These days our primary form of communication is sending the same $50 amazon gift card back and forth forever.

Honestly I feel ridiculous for even wanting a better relationship, but it just stings somehow that he knows next to nothing about me when we talk and doesn't seem particularly interested in finding out.

Am I the narcissistic one? Is it narcissistic to want your parent to care enough to reach out every now and again and not have to initiate every point of contact? Care enough to remember your job or what kinds of major projects you've been doing for fun?

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with this kind of thing? Estrangement seems like a pretty hard bell to un-ring, if it's even ever advisable.

E: forgot to mention he's an engineer though that probably could have been inferred

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 10, 2021

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Uncle Enzo posted:

Another famous person with lovely parents: Quentin Tarantino.

Good for him.

gently caress yeah, this made me smile the whole way through (edit: except the obvious frowning at his lovely parents' words and the interviewer asking him to buy his mom a house. What, dude?). Good for him. :)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Dad stuff

I'm in a similar place. My parents divorced when I was 3. My dad's parents basically adopted me then. My mom spent the following decades acquiring nearly a dozen ex-husbands, while my dad did something stupid and went to jail for ten years. Dad finished college in jail, got out when I was 16, went straight, and married a doctor to whom he's been happily married ever since. But he also moved to the opposite side of the country and stayed there. Mom moved back home around the same time and we reconnected, mostly. I mean, she's still insane, but it really only hurts herself. She's not mean. And she's a genuinely good grandmother, which is all I really ask at this point.

My dad's parents were terrible to my dad. They never ever let him forget all the ways he hosed up, but I loved my dad and still love my dad. We're very similar in a lot of ways. We like the same books, same music, have the same politics, etc. But I don't think he wanted to be a father, and I don't think it came naturally to him. We talk regularly over Facebook messenger but it's very much more like distant friends than father/son. I hoped that when I had a son of my own he might take more naturally to the grandpa role or see it as getting a do-over but no, he still forgets my son's birthday, doesn't send Xmas presents, doesn't ask for pictures, etc. But then he'll turn around and I'll find out he's got an investment fund setup for my son's future education. So I think he's just not a naturally parental person and doing the best he can. But I wish we had a closer relationship. Not sure how to make that happen at our age and 2,000 miles away. It is sad, though, that his last grandchild is going to be a grown man soon without ever really having a relationship with his grandfather.

One thing dad has said several times when we've talked about this are things along the line of "Well it's a two way street, you don't reach out either". And I bought that for a long time.

But now, being a father myself, I know that parenthood IS a one-way street. It's your job as a parent to give and give and give and give and not demand anything in return. You hope for love and friendship but you can't expect it. Your kids didn't ask to be born. So now I find that excuse kind of bullshit. I would keep reaching out to my son no matter what he did, unless he told me to gently caress off. And even then I'd probably sit by the metaphorical phone the rest of my life hoping he changed his mind.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 10, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Do you think this is a cool thing to post, especially in this thread?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Actually, on thinking about it no, I don't. I regret posting it and apologize, it was insensitive and inappropriate.

E:

I can't report my own post, if you haven't please go ahead and do it for me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I have no advice for you two, friends but... reading your posts I get the impression you know what to tell your dads. It's drafted in your head.

And I don't think it's weird to want to have them care and have a closer relationship.

You knew those guys when you were little and knew practically no one else. They were 50% of your world. And you surely had some good moments with them. I bet that leaves an enormous dad-shaped mark in the soul, and it's legit to try and fill it.

(Sorry, it sounds silly but it's late and I am no writer. Fullfilling your psychological needs is ok and you should try? I hope I'm making my point across)

Plus society really hammers the whole family thing. And I don't mean that in the teenagerish "society says it so fuuuck thaaat", but as another psychological need to be aware of and deal with.

VVVVVV That sucks a lot dude. Sorry to hear. Be strong and certainly keep the crazies away.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 10, 2021

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Welp my enabler dad has done something right for once and set up a family therapist appointment, all on his own. The therapist seems like a nice LGBTQ+-friendly lady so I look forward to my mom refusing to gender me correctly for an hour then screaming at the therapist for calling me "he".

Seriously though maybe this will help? I don't have to go anywhere IRL so my mom can't manhandle/shove/grab me, and the therapist wants to meet with us individually first so I can tell her all about my off-the-hinges cruel bizarre narcissist mom. I am trying not to say "crazy" because we're at the point where I oughta be specific, also, rude to actual mentally ill people.

The last time I went to family therapy was in high school, and like 30 minutes in the therapist told me we didn't need family therapy because there wasn't a family problem, but my mom DEFINITELY needed therapy, so he sent her to see someone.

I'm an idiot and a dingus and should listen to this thread instead of doing whatever self-sabotaging bullshit I agreed to :negative:

My dad forwarded me the email he sent to the therapist. The dude went so far misgendering me that the therapist thinks I'm a trans LADY. That bad.

If the therapist emails me I'll just be upfront about how this is all off the rails crazy, and that I don't really care to talk to them, and to leave me alone thank you. I'm also going to maybe stop talking to my dad, who I thought I was fixing my relationship with, but gently caress that poo poo, these people don't respect me. They're gonna be calling me a chick in front of my future kids and people I'm not out to.

Someone please tattoo "STOP TALKING TO YOUR PARENTS" on my forehead before I forget, AGAIN

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Someone please tattoo "STOP TALKING TO YOUR PARENTS" on my forehead before I forget, AGAIN

Stop talking to your lovely parents and tell everyone including the therapist to pound sand.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

indiscriminately posted:

It's reflected in his work too. In Tarantino movies mothers and fathers almost don't exist.

Except, you know, for the huge two part movie he made about a mom looking for her daughter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Except, you know, for the huge two part movie he made about a mom looking for her daughter.

Ah yes, Kill Bill, the well known tale of a mother's love.

(She absolutely was not looking for her daughter, she thought she was dead. She was looking for a bunch of people to murder them)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ah yes, Kill Bill, the well known tale of a mother's love.

(She absolutely was not looking for her daughter, she thought she was dead. She was looking for a bunch of people to murder them)

She wants to murder them because she loves her daughter.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The movie ends on "The Lioness has rejoined her cub, and all is right in the jungle".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
She wants to murder them to avenge her daughter. She doesn't know her daughter is alive until the final confrontation with Bill.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So what you're saying is that he has a pretty hosed up mindset about mothers

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
His creative output suggests a conscious or subconscious indifference to filial relationships (which is fine, he can write what he likes). Almost every character is actually or effectively a childless orphan. The only exception I can think of is Harvey Keitel in From Dusk till Dawn; maybe there are others.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

quote:

If the act of estrangement is not intrinsically abusive, how do you know that was the point your son then became abusive is what I am asking unless you think all estrangement is an act of abuse regardless so can assign it to your son easily?

quote:

That's an unfair and uncalled for comment that has impacted on me negatively. I do not "think all estrangement is an act of abuse regardless" and you know that full well because of what I post here on GN. It is no easier for me to assign an act of abuse to my own son than I would think it is for you to do so to your mother.

We have an email from our ES before the estrangement in which he said "we will never stop you from seeing ..... because we know how much you love him". I didn't have to go back to the email to remind myself of the exact words because I've never forgotten them.

Our son estranged us and took our GC away knowing how much we loved him, after giving us written assurance that he'd never do so. It was, is and will always be for us, an act of abuse.

quote:

But it’s not abusive. He’s not abusing you. He has made a decision for himself. He gets control over his own life.
The alternative being that he is forced to have a relationship that causes him harm.

quote:

*My husband once told his mother many many years (before we’d even met) that he would never keep her from his children (who weren’t born!) like his brother had done. Things change.*

I agree things change. I am not saying that things don't change. I do think that it is cruel to not say "Things have changed because …"! I am NOT saying that your husband did or not do that, I have no idea.

In the context of writing to someone and telling them they will not be cut off from their GC because of knowing how much that person loves their GC ...and then doing exactly that but without explanation ...that is as I said before at the very least cruel and in terms of emotional abuse I would say abusive. Lack of explanation is a recognised tool in emotional abuse. Again, I am aware that I do not know the exact chain of events, the whole story as perceived by all parties, but on the basis of what has been presented here that action in that specific context, is to me emotionally abusive behaviour.

quote:

Obviously my replies are based on the fact that I am not deliberately abusive... I could be abusive and it not be deliberate because I have harmful behaviours I don't recognise in myself. Something could have been missed in counselling.

quote:

*If my children estranged me I wouldn't see it as abuse either*

Nor would I per se. I would view writing to me and acknowledging how I much I love my grandchild and therefore saying I won't be cut off from them ...and then being cut off from them without explanation, written or otherwise, as emotionally abusive.

Lack of explanation is a recognised tool in emotional abuse.

quote:

Once we were estranged and told we were no longer a part of our ES's and GC's lives, we never expected to see our GC again either. As myself and (other poster) have pointed out, we were given a written assurance that we wouldn't be stopped from seeing him. So, having been given that reassurance who would expect to have their GC taken away? Would you?

For us it isn't an end to the abuse. The abuse is in taking away our GC and for as long as we are prevented from knowing our GC, the abuse continues.

quote:

quote:

How can we then approach our estranged loved ones to communicate or start a reconciliation process if our attempts are seen as stalking, or harassment?
Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

quote:

That's the problem and and as you say "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

I understand that those who have taken the decision to estrange may well see this differently. The thing is they've made a decision over which we, who have been estranged, have no say or control.

It's easier said than done to not even try to communicate, to just walk away and leave them alone because they don't want you in their lives anymore.

quote:

Maybe it's seen as harassment if the right things aren't said.

quote:

My mother was absolutely hideous at times, controlling, judgemental and shaming but I would never have dreamed of hurting her like this, because it would have reflected so badly on me.

quote:

quote:

The day they got engaged when we were out drinking champagne with her parents and them of course to celebrate, she looked me in the eye and said "I have only child syndrome; I don't share".

quote:

The deliberate cruelty of her saying that to you is gut wrenching. The feeling of being played by these people is horrific, it's like being forced to watch a train slowly crashing, knowing there's nothing you can do to stop it. Being forced to relinquish someone that you love to such monstrous people is, well, you know exactly how and what it is. I don't submit any more btw, a lifetime of it has taught me it's a hiding to nowhere and help no one.

quote:

I did respond with "well you'll have to learn" but of course had no idea that she really meant it and we'd lose our son and only GC
SHE WAS LITERALLY MARRYING HIM AND SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO SHARE HIM JESUS CHRIST

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly could not follow that at all. There's something about the way these people write that comes off like it's from a bot designed to be incoherent and annoying.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I honestly could not follow that at all. There's something about the way these people write that comes off like it's from a bot designed to be incoherent and annoying.

Coherence and clarity require introspection.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

trickybiscuits posted:

SHE WAS LITERALLY MARRYING HIM AND SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO SHARE HIM JESUS CHRIST

A lot going on here. My favourite is the estranged boomer taking what was probably an innocuous comment from the DIL ("I don't share") as a statement of intent to estrange her from her son.

Also this:

quote:

My mother was absolutely hideous at times, controlling, judgemental and shaming but I would never have dreamed of hurting her like this, because it would have reflected so badly on me.
Never not funny how transparent these people are. They are just bitter they didn't have the stones to do to their parents what their kids are doing to them. You better believe they would've if they felt they could've.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

There's been articles written about how these rejected parents all have the same barely-coherent writing style where attempting to get even a picture of the reality requires piecing together clues, and it's obvious they're omitting every actual detail of their behaviour.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would love to piece together the real story but it's like someone poo poo in the puzzle box and then cut off your thumbs.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would love to piece together the real story but it's like someone poo poo in the puzzle box and then cut off your thumbs.

It's due to lead poisoning, and their terminal boomer brain that won't let them type anything incriminating.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s not even telling a story and carefully cutting out incriminating details. It’s like telling a story AROUND the details, offering other information that makes it seem more relevant but then you’re like “wait, what the gently caress, what about [missing info]?” later on

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

teen witch posted:

It’s not even telling a story and carefully cutting out incriminating details. It’s like telling a story AROUND the details, offering other information that makes it seem more relevant but then you’re like “wait, what the gently caress, what about [missing info]?” later on

That's the only way to make it work, yes. Because usually their poo poo is so obviously bad they have to heavily obfuscate, and its turned into a habit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They all have the exact same voice where they can perfectly recall every single thing someone else said that could ever be remotely taken as a slight, but are simply incapable of ever describing anything they ever did wrong (except performative "I loved my child too much" or "I worked too hard to provide for them" poo poo) or any instance of someone else telling them "I'm doing X because you did Y." The only word I can think to describe it is alien. I logically understand that these words come from the mind of a fellow human, but I cannot understand the process that turns their lived experiences into whatever comes out the other end.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can see it happening in real time with my mother-in-law, though she's not nearly as bad as my own family. She can remember the time my spouse called her a hypocritical bitch when she was fifteen, but insisted she had never told my spouse that the a cappella group she'd been part of for eight years "sucks and nobody wants to hear them" even though I was standing there.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They all have the exact same voice where they can perfectly recall every single thing someone else said that could ever be remotely taken as a slight, but are simply incapable of ever describing anything they ever did wrong (except performative "I loved my child too much" or "I worked too hard to provide for them" poo poo) or any instance of someone else telling them "I'm doing X because you did Y." The only word I can think to describe it is alien. I logically understand that these words come from the mind of a fellow human, but I cannot understand the process that turns their lived experiences into whatever comes out the other end.

Yep. The best you'll ever get from them is an "I wasn't perfect!" admission.

I find the writing style fascinating from a critical reading point of view. They are unreliable narrators and you can usually pick out the reality of what happened through whatever insecurities shine through in their posts ("I would've looked bad!"/"She said 'I don't share'."/"My poor grandchildren").

I can see it happening in real time with my mother-in-law, though she's not nearly as bad as my own family. She can remember the time my spouse called her a hypocritical bitch when she was fifteen, but insisted she had never told my spouse that the a cappella group she'd been part of for eight years "sucks and nobody wants to hear them" even though I was standing there.

Ah the ol "anything that hurts my feelings is entombed inside my head and will be retold forever but anything I said that hurt your feelings is something you should just get over already" narcissism classic.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
People tend to remember negative experiences and emotions better than positive ones. That's why I remember vividly the way my folks made me feel when they belittled me constantly as a child, but have almost no positive memories of any time before I was 15 and on my own.

Although that could be for a different reason I guess lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if you've got depression, part of what's going on is a pronounced inability to retain positive memories/experiences and a heightened emotional memory for negative experiences. we literally store and remember more of our bad memories and build our library of emotions around these memories. it becomes self-reinforcing and gets worse over time. it's why therapy (and potentially medication) is so important and why it can eventually eat people alive if left untreated.

learning to break out of this is in part learning not just how to feel happiness but also building habits to be able to retain and recall how it feels to be happy, to be able to start building an emotional library of good memories.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 11, 2021

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I started thinking of them as lizards. They can perform the basic functions of life like eat and reproduce, but are completely incapable of the standard mammal drives like "caring for the young", and "trusting the people around you"

According to my therapist that's supposed to make me feel sorry for them, but they fall into the same category as drunk drivers, IMO. Regardless of whatever terrible tragedy got them to this point, their current behaviour is unacceptable.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
You can find their behavior unacceptable and still feel sorry for them.

I'm of the view that the circuitous, dishonest storytelling and constant self-pity is not willful, for the most part. It's an aspect of pathology. Like it might be willful sometimes, or even all of the time -- and of course this varies across people -- but I can see how much of any person's thinking & behavior is involuntary just by examining the workings of my own mind.

If you're a little neurotic and have picked up some patterns of self-reflection then you can grow in helpful ways as you move through life. But I think many/most of these people are doomed to be who they are.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

indiscriminately posted:

You can find their behavior unacceptable and still feel sorry for them.

I'm of the view that the circuitous, dishonest storytelling and constant self-pity is not willful, for the most part. It's an aspect of pathology. Like it might be willful sometimes, or even all of the time -- and of course this varies across people -- but I can see how much of any person's thinking & behavior is involuntary just by examining the workings of my own mind.

If you're a little neurotic and have picked up some patterns of self-reflection then you can grow in helpful ways as you move through life. But I think many/most of these people are doomed to be who they are.

Yeah, I agree. Some people are hopelessly broken. They don't just have lousy software, some of their hardware is hosed up too. Their brain meat don't work good, and they are incapable of perceiving the problem much less attempting to repair it. That is sad.

At the same time you have to protect yourself from them. It wasn't Old Yeller's fault that he had rabies and was a danger to everyone around him, but he still needed a bullet not a hug.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yeah, I'm sorry. Formatting to include who was saying what was just beyond me. The "She said 'I don't share'" estranged mother turned out to have threatened her son and daughter-in-law with a lawsuit to see her grandchild. A few people told her that she'd destroyed any chance of relationship with the son and DIL, and probably with their child as well because who the gently caress is going to find out about that and think it's the behavior of someone they want to know?

Some grandparents also share that they do things like write letters and keep scrapbooks to give to their grandchildren when they're adults and that seems pretty weird as well. I would be very creeped out by someone whose attitude toward me was basically "I've been having a one-sided relationship with you your whole life without you knowing, now play into that with me."

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's incredible. I've been able to start hanging out with some friends of mine who have a two-year-old, and that's an age where kids are making sense of the world. For example, this kid calls oranges "juice" because juice comes from oranges, and by extension any orange-like thing is called "juice," including a small fake pumpkin decoration. This child literally cannot handle her own emotions yet and her brain still makes more sense than what's inside these parents' heads. (Honestly this kid is awesome and I just like talking about how great she is.)

Years ago I was trying to write a murder mystery with an unreliable narrator, but couldn't get the character's voice right. What I was looking for was the sort of thing on estranged parents' forums. Of course, by the time I'd found Issendai.com I'd given up on the murder mystery idea. But recently I wrote a short story and used this information to help write the terrible, selfish, disgusting narrator. So that's something.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

There's something exhausting about the way they write, maybe because they rarely use punctuation within a sentence like commas or semicolons. Every sentence then just becomes this long, stilted drone of self-justification.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you're a functioning human being with critical thinking skills it's just exhausting to read all the reams of material they leave unwritten between the lines. Psychopathic jazz: it's the words they don't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I agree. Some people are hopelessly broken. They don't just have lousy software, some of their hardware is hosed up too. Their brain meat don't work good, and they are incapable of perceiving the problem much less attempting to repair it. That is sad.

At the same time you have to protect yourself from them. It wasn't Old Yeller's fault that he had rabies and was a danger to everyone around him, but he still needed a bullet not a hug.

That last part is something my former psychotherapist used to say to me a lot in relation to my parents:

Just because you understand why the lioness is upset doesn’t mean it’s safe to get into the enclosure with her. She’s still going to rip your loving neck out.