Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Didn’t his wife die while he was still writing those books? I always assumed that missing her was part of the explanation for the, uh, “special powers” that the Honored Matres had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Martman posted:

Unironically... kinda? I do wonder if animation would be the best medium to capture the wildly different requirements of Dune stuff.

I have long maintained anime would be the best medium for any fantasy or sci fi adaption. Just look at how good the new Witcher anime looks compared to the bargain bin GoT-knock off the TV series comes off as. Or that Highlander anime directed by Kawajiri which is the best looking thing the franchise has ever produced.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

deoju posted:

Oh, I'm kinda relieved by that actually.

I was afraid it was 'dirty old man writes a tweenage girl to be overly sexual' cringey poo poo.

There is a subplot that veers into this in the second book where Alia is going through puberty and general teenage hormone stuff and finds out that it mixes very badly with her pre-awareness

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So, is Paul actually the Kwisatz Haderach? I seem to remember parts of the first book where he initially refutes the title, nor does he really seem to "channel" the feminine genetic memories explicitly like Jessica or Alia do or the masculine ones like Leto II does.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DarkSol posted:

So, is Paul actually the Kwisatz Haderach? I seem to remember parts of the first book where he initially refutes the title, nor does he really seem to "channel" the feminine genetic memories explicitly like Jessica or Alia do or the masculine ones like Leto II does.

It's arguable. My take is that he should have been, but he passed the responsibility off on his kids because he couldn't handle it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It's arguable. My take is that he should have been, but he passed the responsibility off on his kids because he couldn't handle it.

I guess in that case, since it's apparently genetics, all it takes is the right gene to be expressed and exposure to the spice and the Water of Life(?), and presto! Anyone could theoretically have the powers of prescience and the ability to channel their genetic memories?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DarkSol posted:

So, is Paul actually the Kwisatz Haderach?

Yes.

quote:

"How would you like to live billions upon billions of lives?" Paul asked. "There's a fabric of legends for you! Think of all those experiences, the wisdom they'd bring. But wisdom tempers love, doesn't it? And it puts a new shape on hate. How can you tell what's ruthless unless you've plumbed the depths of both cruelty and kindness? You should fear me, Mother. I am the Kwisatz Haderach."
Jessica tried to swallow in a dry throat. Presently, she said; "Once you denied to me that you were the Kwisatz Haderach."
Paul shook his head. "I can deny nothing any more."

DarkSol posted:

nor does he really seem to "channel" the feminine genetic memories explicitly like Jessica or Alia do or the masculine ones like Leto II does.

Alia, Leto (and Ghanima) are all abominations, so it's not surprisingly they're written differently.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Leto has more spice awareness than Paul though, so he's even more of a Kwizatz Haderach.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DarkSol posted:

I guess in that case, since it's apparently genetics, all it takes is the right gene to be expressed and exposure to the spice and the Water of Life(?), and presto! Anyone could theoretically have the powers of prescience and the ability to channel their genetic memories?

Yeah, and in Messiah/Children there's loads of tarot cults popping up, and I think the low-level prescience among the Fremen to gently caress with Paul's visions.

Other Memory requires some form of Spice Agony though, but those terms don't get thrown around as much in the early books.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

phasmid posted:

Leto has more spice awareness than Paul though, so he's even more of a Kwizatz Haderach.

I've said this before, but I don't think the Kwisatz Haderach was meant to be like a character-level in an RPG. I think FH retcons this a bit in the sequels with the discussion of the Bene Tleilax trying to create their own KH, and then the BG ghola program flirting with creating a Duncan KH, but initially the KH is an analog to the Lisan al-Gaib. It's like having multiple Christs. There can be only one.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jewmanji posted:

I've said this before, but I don't think the Kwisatz Haderach was meant to be like a character-level in an RPG. I think FH retcons this a bit in the sequels with the discussion of the Bene Tleilax trying to create their own KH, and then the BG ghola program flirting with creating a Duncan KH, but initially the KH is an analog to the Lisan al-Gaib. It's like having multiple Christs. There can be only one.

Maybe so but that's only one side of the BG Mission. The qualities they speak of are simple: a male child who is prepared through ordeal to awaken his Other Memories. There was only supposed to be one, but then again, he wasn't supposed to punch out the old imperium and set up religious autocracy in its place.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

phasmid posted:

Maybe so but that's only one side of the BG Mission. The qualities they speak of are simple: a male child who is prepared through ordeal to awaken his Other Memories. There was only supposed to be one, but then again, he wasn't supposed to punch out the old imperium and set up religious autocracy in its place.

That kind of ties into what Hodgepodge was getting at IRT Dune's (and Herbert's) gender weirdness, too. The Kwisatz Haderach was meant to be a man because the Bene Gesserit take it for granted that they can control men.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jewmanji posted:

It's like having multiple Christs. There can be only one.
Now picturing multiple Christs decapitating each other with swords.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Schwarzwald posted:

That kind of ties into what Hodgepodge was getting at IRT Dune's (and Herbert's) gender weirdness, too. The Kwisatz Haderach was meant to be a man because the Bene Gesserit take it for granted that they can control men.

I think it was more that they needed a man that was like them, because they couldn't access their male-line memories. They were planning on controlling him too, in the same fashion that their order imposes hierarchy. But the idea (to me) seems to have been that their group's prescience was only limited by the fact that they had half a picture. The Guild was out, because their spice awareness was only forward-looking. A male BG though, could give them the power they need to trace all the threads back to the beginning and that could change the whole game. Which it did, just not how they wanted. They're still mad about it 20,000 yrs. later in book 6 lol.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

deoju posted:

Oh, I'm kinda relieved by that actually.

I was afraid it was 'dirty old man writes a tweenage girl to be overly sexual' cringey poo poo.

The Baron, while possessing her, convinces/makes her sleep with some guys to have them work for her. Before this, it's said that she's loving up the ecosystem of Dune (this is Paul's fault to be fair) and kind of a poo poo ruler as well.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Just read about how The Dune Encyclopedia is kept out of print by Herbert's failson because it contradicts his fanfiction. What a dick.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vincent posted:

Just read about how The Dune Encyclopedia is kept out of print by Herbert's failson because it contradicts his fanfiction. What a dick.

You read my mind, I was going to ask whats been keeping it out of print. Is that true? Insane.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I listened to the six Frank Herbert books on audiobook and have zero desire to read a word his son ever wrote, sure the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger but Duncan getting his freedom is about as close to a "happily ever after" you'll ever get from the series

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brian Herbert never wrote a book.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Vincent posted:

What's crazy is that The Dune Encyclopedia contradicts Frank Herbert's own work, so I don't get what the deal is.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vincent posted:

The Baron, while possessing her, convinces/makes her sleep with some guys to have them work for her. Before this, it's said that she's loving up the ecosystem of Dune (this is Paul's fault to be fair) and kind of a poo poo ruler as well.

Yeah Alia grows increasingly depraved and cuckolds Duncan Idaho until Leto 2 tells her to kill herself

It's a fun book

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Arglebargle III posted:

Brian Herbert never wrote a book.

I read The Race for God in High School. I remember vaguely enjoying it.* Meant to read Man of Two Worlds at some point, not sure why I didn't.

*Based on reading a summary maybe ten years after I read the book, and going "Oh yeah, that did happen, and also that part," I don't actually recommend the book. I just kind of enjoyed the premise at the time I read it, which was 10th grade.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah Alia grows increasingly depraved and cuckolds Duncan Idaho until Leto 2 tells her to kill herself

It's a fun book
Also the way you really know she's lost the battle against the Baron's memories is that she starts to get extremely obese like him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

You read my mind, I was going to ask whats been keeping it out of print. Is that true? Insane.

The failson and Kevin J. Anderson claim the book Dune is actually an in-universe retelling of Paul's rise by Irulan to explain away all the inconsistencies they put in their books (like Paul traveling to multiple planets in theirs when the trip to Arrakis was his first trip off Caladan).

DarkSol posted:

What's crazy is that The Dune Encyclopedia contradicts Frank Herbert's own work, so I don't get what the deal is.

Mostly how stupid and wrong their prequel books are is my guess. I think the encyclopedia gets it right that the Jihad was a luddite revolt against computers and not a generic robot war.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think it makes sense that all kinds of crazy super-people follow Paul, the Bene Gesserit were working towards creating the Kwisatz Haderach for forever... but seemingly gave no thought to "and then what?"

It was like 1) make KH 2) ??? 3) Profit

DarkSol posted:

I think the Dune Encyclopedia was openly "non-canonical" (a term that wasn't really used to keep track of nerd poo poo back then, I don't think) with some handwave-y reason like "it was written long after the events of the books, fog of history, etc."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 12, 2021

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

phasmid posted:

Recall too that Count Fenring "was one of the might-have-beens, an almost Kwisatz Haderach, crippled by a flaw in the genetic pattern—a eunuch," which seems to imply that the BG didn't see the KH as the end result of their breeding program, but yet another step along it. They're gonna want to breed their KH to make backups.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm sure Brian Herbert and KJA were aware that the Jihad was a revolution against AI/advanced technology and not a literal Terminator robots rising against us scenario, they just consciously chose to poo poo on that to make a story as a easy as possible.

It's funny though like, with internet of things poo poo and Facebook's algorithms today the Jihad as worded in the original book of people thinking all this super tech will set them free but instead just lets some folks at the top control everyone even more efficiently is relevant.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You've clearly never read a Kevin J. Anderson book, then.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PeterWeller posted:

Recall too that Count Fenring "was one of the might-have-beens, an almost Kwisatz Haderach, crippled by a flaw in the genetic pattern—a eunuch," which seems to imply that the BG didn't see the KH as the end result of their breeding program, but yet another step along it. They're gonna want to breed their KH to make backups.

Was that in the original Dune novel? I don't remember those details.

Though I guess Jodorowsky really ran with the idea...in his adaptation, wasn't Leto supposed to be a eunuch, and Paul is some miracle baby conceived through blood?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Xealot posted:

Was that in the original Dune novel? I don't remember those details.

Though I guess Jodorowsky really ran with the idea...in his adaptation, wasn't Leto supposed to be a eunuch, and Paul is some miracle baby conceived through blood?

Yeah, that's a quote from Paul when he meets Fenring at the end.

I got no idea about the Jodo stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

grassy gnoll posted:

You've clearly never read a Kevin J. Anderson book, then.

I've read Kevin J. Anderson books you people wouldn't believe. Multiple paragraphs about how tight Admiral Daala's thighs are in a single book, I read a book where every single dramatic moment began with "And then the _____ broke." All those pages will be lost in time, like worms, in rain, the water of life. The water of life.

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, that's a quote from Paul when he meets Fenring at the end.

I got no idea about the Jodo stuff.

They're right, in JodoDune Leto is a eunuch via losing his junk in a ceremonial bullfight, and Paul is conceived by Jessica pouring some of his blood into her ear.

Besides the Incal, you might dig The Metabarons comic as that's another one where a lot of the less orthodox castration/gently caress magic stuff Jodorowsky had in mind for his take on Dune appears. I don't know if I'd call it a great comic but it is, for better or for worse, maximum Jodorowsky.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 12, 2021

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Xealot posted:

I can believe it, this very thing happens in the Metabarons comics.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
(face of ecstatic glee)
I was raping Frank Herbert! Raping! Like this! (humping the air)
(serious face)
But with love.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

DarkSol posted:

Isn't he pretty definitely NOT the Kwisatz Haderach? The whole issue with the Bene Gesserit is that he's brought into existence one generation too early, before the bloodline project with the Harkonnen is completed. He's close enough that most of the functionality is there but he's still a wild card. Also kinda leads into why Leto II is able to take on the responsibilities that Paul faltered at. They were both fractured mirrors of the intended Kwisatz Haderach.

Also who wants to drop 600 bucks for this piece of awesomeness. https://gizmodo.com/dunes-making-of-book-is-so-massive-hans-zimmer-wrote-i-1847462195

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Nah, Kwisatz Haderach was used by the Bene Gesserit to describe a man who could access both male and female Other Memory and thus predict the future accurately in ways they could not. Jessica produced one a generation early; the intent was to unite the Atriedies and Haronnens and put the Kwisatz Haderach on the throne directly.

By the second book, the Tleilaxu had even produced their own Kwisatz Haderach, although they also failed to control theirs.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Paul says hes not the Kwisatz Haderach and talks about coming a generation early at around the midpoint of the book but once he undergoes the spice agony toward the end he does explicitly say he is the Kwisatz Haderach. Presumably he only felt it was accurate after undergoing the spice agony.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

AnEdgelord posted:

Paul says hes not the Kwisatz Haderach and talks about coming a generation early at around the midpoint of the book but once he undergoes the spice agony toward the end he does explicitly say he is the . Presumably he only felt it was accurate after undergoing the spice agony.

I also saw it as meaning he is not what the BG want the Kwisatz Haderach to be.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He was just saying it because he could. Get on TV. Stay ahead of the curve even by a measly few generations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Kassad posted:

I also saw it as meaning he is not what the BG want the Kwisatz Haderach to be.

Perhaps, but what they wanted is impossible; you can't control a Kwisatz Haderach. Learning this cost them their breeding program (which Leto II took over and repurposed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sequel script being written.