Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Holy moley, I have been doing things very wrong this entire time.

edit: vvv yea, I felt that was the case. To lazy to boot up and confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Banishment escheats all their property back to you, killing them just let's their heirs inherit so gives you less control.

I don't think Banishment seizes property, it did in CK2 and came with a hefty tyranny penalty, but in CK3 it just forces the character to abdicate and leave the realm, passing their titles on to successors. The main advantage of banishment is that if the traitor's your kin, you can force them out without picking up kinslayer the way an execution would.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
In CK3 at least, banishment only seizes wealth for landless characters (so courtiers, so you only get their gold). I don't remember it ever seizing actual landed titles in any version, but I haven't played CK2 in long enough that I'm not prepared to definitively say it doesn't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah you can use it seize the gold of your courtiers (which can be hella useful if you can get your hands on rich Theocratic bishops), but it does not seize the property of your vassals.

Serephina posted:

Isn't treason punishable by death? So what does exiling (to force succession+partition) do that executing doesn't?

Doesn't cost piety.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Have they mentioned a release date (even vaguely) for Royal Court yet? Is it safe to assume some time in Q4?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't get Ironman mode to enable. I've done a complete fresh install, deleting the files from documents, and adding firewall exclusions. Default rules too. It will let me do it if I pick one of the recommended characters, but not if I pick a non-recommended one. Are achievements/IM runs restricted just to recommended characters?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
no you can do it with custom characters. i dunno about the rest, whenever i move to pick someone other than the rec characters i have to re-check the rules to default but after that its good to go

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

I can't get Ironman mode to enable. I've done a complete fresh install, deleting the files from documents, and adding firewall exclusions. Default rules too. It will let me do it if I pick one of the recommended characters, but not if I pick a non-recommended one. Are achievements/IM runs restricted just to recommended characters?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no you can do it with custom characters. i dunno about the rest, whenever i move to pick someone other than the rec characters i have to re-check the rules to default but after that its good to go

This is the issue, every time you open the choose any character screen, it resets ironman back to disabled. Also, if you make a custom character with more than 400 points it blocks achievements.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Reveilled posted:

It's not really that you're like "Okay well they're traitors, I can only take away one title, anything else would be unfair", it's your vassals that are like that, vassals who care very strongly about their own personal power, prestige, and landed titles. In game terms it's "easier", but it's also "easier" within the game's fiction. Every revocation makes the monarch stronger, and a strong monarch is not actually in your vassals' best interests.

For the perspective of characters in this game, at least if you merely execute the traitor, their blameless children will inherit their lands and titles. When you revoke a title therefore, you're punishing not just the vassal but the vassal's entire family. Hence your other vassals think that's a bit much--one revocation is already a more extreme punishment than execution.

Okay that makes sense, so I guess the answer here is if I truly wanted rid of them after a revolt I'd just execute them and have take the family negative opinion penalty then?

Luckily it seems somehow in prison (or I guess technically house arrest) eventually they all forgot about me imprisoning them and eventually regained enough opinion of me I felt fine ransoming them and releasing them.

Question though, there's no like secret modifier or something that makes them likely to rebel or assassinate me though because they once rebelled and were imprisoned by me, right? They're just like "bygones be bygones"?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well they literally cannot revolt if they are imprisoned. But they can escape.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Play Norse
Kill Everyone
Varangian Adventure
Kill Everyone
Profit!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Banishment escheats all their property back to you, killing them just let's their heirs inherit so gives you less control.

Pro-tip, if you're a catholic, always make your bishop your physician. They'll usually have the learning to do a decent to great job, and if the random number generator rolls against you now have a valid reason to imprison and banish them, thus confiscating their ridiculous treasuries.

My current bishop is sitting on 70k+

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

Having a spymaster with mediocre Intrigue who loves you is WAY better than having a spymaster with really high Intrigue who hates you.

depends....literal suicide gives you a renown and prestige hit, right?

verbal enema posted:

Do not Elavate The Title Of Man while drunk cuz you will forget you get a free 2.5k stack of MaA for mega raiding

E: 7.5k???

hold those troops in reserve; never use them to fight. they are your Immortal Guard and will make sure nobody ever declares war on you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

cool av posted:

depends....literal suicide gives you a renown and prestige hit, right?

hold those troops in reserve; never use them to fight. they are your Immortal Guard and will make sure nobody ever declares war on you.

Yeah they're gone well i have 76 of them left. I did some mega raiding and well yeah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh new word

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Oysters Autobio posted:

Okay that makes sense, so I guess the answer here is if I truly wanted rid of them after a revolt I'd just execute them and have take the family negative opinion penalty then?

Luckily it seems somehow in prison (or I guess technically house arrest) eventually they all forgot about me imprisoning them and eventually regained enough opinion of me I felt fine ransoming them and releasing them.

Question though, there's no like secret modifier or something that makes them likely to rebel or assassinate me though because they once rebelled and were imprisoned by me, right? They're just like "bygones be bygones"?

Right. There's no hidden gotchas there. They won't secretly resent you because of their time in prison, and they won't rebel again because of it. They might eventually rebel again if they still hate you for whatever reasons they had in the first place, but having spent some time in prison isn't really going to affect that one way or the other.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

Right. There's no hidden gotchas there. They won't secretly resent you because of their time in prison, and they won't rebel again because of it. They might eventually rebel again if they still hate you for whatever reasons they had in the first place, but having spent some time in prison isn't really going to affect that one way or the other.

Unless you move them from house arrest to the dungeon, in which case all of their family take a -15 opinion hit. If you later execute/banish them or they die in prison, their heir will have that -15 opinion, making factions/revolts more likely. Not usually much of an issue unless it's a dynasty that holds lot of land in your realm.

verbal enema posted:

Yeah they're gone well i have 76 of them left. I did some mega raiding and well yeah

This is where the Bondi/Vigmen shine. On a one for one basis they aren't anywhere near as powerful as Varangian/Huscarls, but they are dirt cheap and a stack of 500 Vigmen hold just as much raiding loot as a stack of 500 Huscarls. I always build one of each (Huscarl/Bondi/Varangian/Vigmen), because those 2k MaA can easily pillage all of Italy without losing any fights. Once you have the dynasty legacy that increases your raiding loot capacity, you can start in Genoa and work your way down the coast to Napoli, dump your loot back at home, and then come back to finish the trip to Venice, all without losing any battles.

As the game goes on you can replace them with pure heavy infantry MaA if you want to fully powergame it, but I almost always stick with the mix because it works well enough. If my capital is somewhere like Göttingen, Ellur, or Mali for the gold mines I will swap earlier, but otherwise I don't see the need to spend extra on MaA that aren't usually needed.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I've unsubscribed from all my mods and started again from scratch to check out the recently released Sinews of War.

Anyone have any suggestions for good mods I could get? I'm mostly looking for more variety in clothing, hair (Besides the Community Flavor Pack, which I got) and other graphical stuff but gameplay mods are welcome too.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Frionnel posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for good mods I could get?

One Proud Bavarian maintains a mod list on the steam workshop that is a pretty good place to start. I can't remember the name but it has the word immersion in i think.

And wow that sinews of war mod looks... ambitious in a good way

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Just in general, it's worth mentioning that there are almost no secret modifiers anywhere. It's pretty much all exposed in the character screen where it lists all the active modifiers to people's opinions of you.

The closest you get are the AI personality attributes that determine how they respond to things like dread and military might, and even then, you can divine some of them from any nicknames the character might have. They are also pretty fixed, so it's not something that will really be affected by what you do.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Tippis posted:

Just in general, it's worth mentioning that there are almost no secret modifiers anywhere. It's pretty much all exposed in the character screen where it lists all the active modifiers to people's opinions of you.

The closest you get are the AI personality attributes that determine how they respond to things like dread and military might, and even then, you can divine some of them from any nicknames the character might have. They are also pretty fixed, so it's not something that will really be affected by what you do.

Yeah, secret was the wrong term to use. I guess what I mean' was there's no future negative modifier like "-30 Imprisoned by you" or "-30 Rebelled against you" that only becomes inacted once a Vassal was released from imprisonment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeah, secret was the wrong term to use. I guess what I mean' was there's no future negative modifier like "-30 Imprisoned by you" or "-30 Rebelled against you" that only becomes inacted once a Vassal was released from imprisonment.

Ah, yes. Then (still) no, not really — it would show up immediately when you do the thing they got upset about, so when you imprison them in this case. Releasing them on its own would if any thing give a “showed mercy” (or similar — I don't remember the exact phrasing) positive modifier if the release was unconditional. Of course, if the release involves further punishments, you might be slapped with some modifier related to that — a desire for some title you just robbed them of, and things like that. But they'll be pretty darn obvious to intuit beforehand.

As binge crotching mentioned, the thing to look out for is more what everyone else thinks of your actions. But again, this will always be immediate and directly linked to what you did right now, not what happened in the past. So their getting angry for being imprisoned would not suddenly show up long after the fact. Opinion modifiers will often be stated very explicitly on the tool tips for your choices, so there's very little hidden.

Indeed, this direct feedback and the clear indication of what affects people's opinions is one of the more subtle yet massive improvements over the often rather opaque mechanics in CK2.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 13, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I play as Whiteshirt and made England my playground. Now all of my countries report low control and 'disabled buildings'. I figure I have to use my marshal for control and eventually try to feudalize the domains, but what can I do in the short run?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I may not have put enough hours into ck3 to justify it's price (yet!), but I will admit that a lot of stuff w.r.t. opinions is very well telegraphed. I think partition is the only time I ever felt that I was getting screwed by black magic mechanics.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tias posted:

So I play as Whiteshirt and made England my playground. Now all of my countries report low control and 'disabled buildings'. I figure I have to use my marshal for control and eventually try to feudalize the domains, but what can I do in the short run?

Are you over the demense limit? You should hand out the lower value counties to random lowborn people so they'll have to deal with low control rather than you.

That's really just good advice in general for newly conquered territories.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Serephina posted:

Yea, I may not have put enough hours into ck3 to justify it's price (yet!), but I will admit that a lot of stuff w.r.t. opinions is very well telegraphed. I think partition is the only time I ever felt that I was getting screwed by black magic mechanics.

Understandable. The succession screen will tell you what will happen, but of course, it will not really tell you why and it only really applies to your own holdings — figuring out the exact consequences on other holdings is a fair bit trickier, since the title claimant list is even more opaque and difficult to navigate for any larger set of potential heirs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You get used to it after a few games. Confederate Partition and Partition are simply fair splits, with the game trying to bundle things by De Jure zones. High Partition gets weird because it tries to give "half" of each of the splits to the Heir, and that can get wonky with unpredictable results but you still get most.

Its just a game of round-robin, or picking teams in the park, back and forth between the kids.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Four Dynasty perks in Blood, Two into Kin, and selective breeding gets you good results. But Genius is only a +5...

Sometimes things get rather exponential. I just found a vassal with 60 Learning

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Four Dynasty perks in Blood, Two into Kin, and selective breeding gets you good results. But Genius is only a +5...

also put a lot of points into his stabbing it seems

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

:lol: at one-legged giving +1 learning

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My little person vassal got eated by a big fish :ohdear:

All because I built a carp pond... I had no idea this could happen lol

He was so cool

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What is going on with the Kingdom of Italy?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

:lol: at one-legged giving +1 learning

Haha I was laughing about this as well, pretty great.

PinheadSlim posted:

My little person vassal got eated by a big fish :ohdear:

All because I built a carp pond... I had no idea this could happen lol

He was so cool

This should be a possible murder scheme!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That is a big carp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a goddamn inoperable tumor

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

fuf posted:

One Proud Bavarian maintains a mod list on the steam workshop that is a pretty good place to start. I can't remember the name but it has the word immersion in i think.

And wow that sinews of war mod looks... ambitious in a good way

This seems like the kind of stuff i was looking for, thanks!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

What is going on with the Kingdom of Italy?

Lmao yeah it's mostly Burgundy now. It's been a pretty wild game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

poo poo like that is why Improved Exclave Independence, and the title destruction setting, is so important.

If only you could teach the AI to actually use their de jure casus belli.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How far can you go with unreformed asatru as a varangian country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Varangian vets will get you to the moon regardless of anything else