Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

we’re going back to 1984 Laserdisc MSRP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing they'll be $49.99, which isn't unheard of in the past for certain Criterion releases so it seems reasonable in this case. The only thing I'm worried about is whether they'll be able to keep them in stock because I'm used to only buying during the sales so if they're out of stock by then that could be a problem.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 12, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t keep up with rights stuff at all, I know it’s always hard to find Burnett movies and when they go up on the channel it’s just for a month.

Does anyone have any idea where I can watch Killer of Sheep?

I rewatched my Criterion of To Sleep With Anger last night, loved it even more on rewatch, and missed this one when it was on CC. I watched four of his short films at the time, and I feel like I missed out on a great experience with KoS

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Should have been The Third Man so I can actually own it

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
My guess is 59.99 MSRP for Criterion UHDs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

VoodooXT posted:

My guess is 59.99 MSRP for Criterion UHDs.

I suspect that they'll stick at the $40 mark. Criterion is already priced too highly, and if you go too high, you just can't sell them. $60 for Citizen Cane isn't going to sell.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I generally only buy Criterion for sales, but I may have to make an exception for their first round of 4k releases.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cemetry Gator posted:

I suspect that they'll stick at the $40 mark. Criterion is already priced too highly, and if you go too high, you just can't sell them. $60 for Citizen Cane isn't going to sell.

Agreed. I could see $50 for dual packs (and certain releases already go for 50), but beyond that lies disconnection with your customer base.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Menace II Society, Red Shoes, and Citizen Kane are definite grabs for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love criterion but if they go over $40 for these I'm probably out. They already charge too much, and I just can't justify more than that for a single movie that's not a big rear end Arrow style collectors edition.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cemetry Gator posted:

Of course it wouldn't sell. It'd be too high and Criterion wouldn't sell a movie made by The Asylum

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually hope they set the price a bit too high because if they're sold out by the time the sales come around I won't buy them. I don't spend that kind of money on a single movie unless it's like one of my all time favorites. I don't think I've bought a full-priced Criterion for like ten years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

$60 MSRP for UHDs would be extremely reasonable, though $50 seems more likely.

Worth noting that Warner's UCE of Citizen Kane back in 2011 was $65 MSRP and there wasn't a "budget" edition until 2016 (the UCE was replaced with a 2-disc digibook omitting RKO 281 that still had an MSRP of $35). Laserdiscs were super-expensive, but worth noting that Criterion's inaugural 1984 edition of Kane had an MSRP of $89.95, which is about $236 in today's money.

I will say that for all the wait, they couldn't have picked a better selection for their first titles. Citizen Kane is obviously going to be one of the biggest releases of the year, but I'm excited to see what The Red Shoes will look like in 4K HDR. A Hard Day's Night already looks marvelous on Blu-ray (was the first in-house full 4K restoration by Janus/Criterion) but I wonder if Giles Martin is going to supervise a new Dolby Atmos mix like he's done for some of the Beatles albums. I've never seen The Piano, but it looks interesting, as does Menace II Society. And of course, no way to say no to Mulholland Dr.

Per someone on Blu-ray.com's forums, looks like Kane is definitely a new restoration, even though the 2011 was from a 4K transfer. Might be a fresher transfer and with more care put into the contrast since there were still a few parts with too much brightness on the Blu-ray like the screening room (you can clearly see Joseph Cotten) or the sloppy matte to hide the re-use of one of the matte paintings.

FancyMike posted:

Killer of Sheep is on dvd from Milestone. Not sure if they still have distribution rights, but if so they recently signed a deal with Kino.

Might be coming next year - Milestone just confirmed I Am Cuba for 2022.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I've never seen The Piano, but it looks interesting

It's one of the best films of the 90s op

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's one of the best films of the 90s op

Just seeing that it stars Holly Hunter and Sam Neill plus has a Michael Nyman score is enough to get me to see it. Actually kind of ashamed I've only seen one Jane Campion film, Two Friends - which I thought was excellent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Just seeing that it stars Holly Hunter and Sam Neill plus has a Michael Nyman score is enough to get me to see it. Actually kind of ashamed I've only seen one Jane Campion film, Two Friends - which I thought was excellent.

Harvey Keitel, too!

edit; post in here when you finally watch it :)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Might be coming next year - Milestone just confirmed I Am Cuba for 2022.

Speaking of films that deserve a UHD...

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I really loved the cinematography of PlayTime and Ticket of No Return, any other movies with similar aesthetics?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Weaponized Autism posted:

I really loved the cinematography of PlayTime and Ticket of No Return, any other movies with similar aesthetics?

Roy Andersson's Songs from the Second Floor probably the biggest one.

I'd also check out Pierre Etaix' work, especially Le grand amour, which feels like a cross between Tati and Bunuel. Etaix actually worked with Tati on Mon oncle, in addition to designing the posters for that film and M. Hulot's Holiday.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Weaponized Autism posted:

I haven't seen Ticket of No Return, but to me the defining characteristics of the cinematography in PlayTime are:

- Large sets that often dwarf the individual characters
- Heavy usage of deep focus, so that both foreground and background appear equally sharp at all times, and a resulting lack of focal points. Every part of the frame is equally interesting and we as spectators are invited to look at whatever we find most interesting (like a grand painting)
- Long takes instead of rapid cuts, again encouraging viewers to lose themselves in the complex compositions
- A relatively uniform colour scheme

Nothing quite equals that, but similar visual strategies can be found in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Red Desert, Blow-up, Lawrence of Arabia, A City of Sadness, or Once Upon a Time in the West.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Honestly, watch all of Tati's movies. Every single one is worth seeing, even the less well-regarded ones like Parade.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I watched Fat City last night. It was good. At the very end the main character has an epiphany as he looks at two tables of people playing cards. I was wondering if anyone had comments on what this epiphany was?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I feel like I’m crazy for being certain there was a Criterion release of Stop Making Sense, but in searching for it, it looks like it doesn’t exist? I could’ve sworn I saw it on my trips to B&N in the Criterion section but maybe I’m misremembering. In any case if they haven’t released it they should. Is the existing blu ray pretty decent?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You were probably thinking of the True Stories release.

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016
Stuff I've recently watched or still watching on the channel-
A town called panic - ppl seem to love it, i thought it was some of the ugliest and clunkiest animation i've ever watched. Seems like they went for a low-effort, so-bad-it's-good kinda thing. Not impressed.
A ticket of no return - wow they got Linklater to introduce and recommend stuff! How awesome. Most of his selections seem to be obscure, super interesting euro cinema from the 70s and 80s. This film is kind of an absurdist comedy about a woman going on a drinking tour of Berlin. Pretty fun. Still watching it
Thelma - a Norwegian supernatural thriller / psychological drama, the director previously made one of my favorite films ever (oslo 31 aug), this was nowhere near the same league but still well done
The wolf house and Consuming spirits from the Arthouse animation colection were both absolutely phenomenal
World on a Wire - loved Fassbinder's Fear eats the soul but this is seriously, and you can call me a philistine, just a lovely cheap TV movie. Nothing about the way it was filmed was striking or appealing at all, totally pedestrian, the script was utterly uninteresting as well, especially considering Philip K. Dick has written so much in that vein and i'd much rather read him than watch this. And i adore good slow cerebral scifi, this just wasn't it!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
caught it at a local theater that shows lots of classics and indies, etc. but Night Moves is worth checking.

Of its time, but definitely a great detective story.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Slowdive posted:

World on a Wire - loved Fassbinder's Fear eats the soul but this is seriously, and you can call me a philistine, just a lovely cheap TV movie. Nothing about the way it was filmed was striking or appealing at all, totally pedestrian, the script was utterly uninteresting as well, especially considering Philip K. Dick has written so much in that vein and i'd much rather read him than watch this. And i adore good slow cerebral scifi, this just wasn't it!

this is a baffling take

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Jellyfish Eyes. It's alright. The little critters are very fun. They're all CGI except for one, which is basically Sweetums from the Muppets. It has a very different presence from the floaty CGI ones and I wish there had been a few more like it, just for a bit of a mix. The movie could stand to lose ten minutes or so of run time. There's a long action sequence in a lab that reminded me of the lab fight from Howard the Duck; too may stages. The movie also fumbles on the theme. It seems like it's gonna be about loss, what with the kid having lost his dad and all. And there's two more big losses he has to face later on, but they're both set up so poorly it's no surprise at all when they both turn out to be fakeouts. Which kinda leaves the movie without much going on. You would feel better if you had a magical animal friend that could never die.

One thing that's especially bad is the score. It's so over the top in trying to make you feel like you're watching a charming kid's film. And in the action sequences it's nowhere near exciting. What makes it weirder is that the ending theme is a pretty good Hatsune Miku song.

I didn't hate it, but I can't recommend Jellyfish Eyes

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1427316171641167875?s=20

Insanely abysmal and poorly thought Citizen Kane cover aside, Tsui Hark is on the Criterion Collection!

Unlike he Eureka release this is all Once Upon a Time in China films, all 5 of them including the Sammo Hung directed entry Once Upon a Time in China and America.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 16, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1427316171641167875?s=20

Insanely abysmal and poorly thought Citizen Kane cover aside, Tsui Hark is on the Criterion Collection!

Unlike he Eureka release this is all Once Upon a Time in China films, all 5 of them including the Sammo Hung directed entry Once Upon a Time in China and America.

The Kane K should have used the typeface from the original poster or from the manor gate in the movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A movie full of iconic shots and they chose a loving boring rear end K. Baffling decision.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Surely criterion could come up with a new spin on the iconic speech image or something??? “nope here’s a K” oh ok

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Criterion's posting the UHDs SRP at $60, but discounted at $48 on their site.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

K

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The cover should be a little LED screen with the gif of Kane clapping

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn't think I'd be more excited about the non-4k announcement in the bunch but here we are. I love how much martial arts stuff they've added to the collection in the past few years. That Bruce Lee set is a must-own if anyone is still on the fence about it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’ve never seen the Once Upon A Time in China movies, are they worth a blind buy? I love good martial arts stuff but I’ve only really seen Jet Li’s American stuff, sadly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What if it was the cockatoo shot but there’s a K inside the eye

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

If they just wanted to use a single iconic image from the movie they should've just shown the cane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Well, the little c for Criterion is matched with the big K, to make "cK. I hope that makes everyone's day.