Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Klyith posted:

"Haven't had issues" on a thing that fails suddenly and possibly destructively isn't at all reassuring. If I were in your shoes I'd replace it asap, put it on the shelf as an emergency-only backup. Or maybe gigabyte will do a recall / exchange.

When Steve himself goes off script to say “I wouldn’t want this in my system and would aggressively pursue a refund,” then yeah, I’d start looking into alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

This also reminds me about how a few years ago people were :argh: over seasonic PSUs having a kinda trigger-happy OCP/OPP circuits that trip on transient spikes with high-end GPUs. Sucks, but this is a great demonstration of why you'd rather have conservative protections than a "eh whatever, set it at 1200W" attitude.

I saw that when I was shopping around. It actually made me buy a Seasonic, just at a slightly higher rating than I needed. Because I'd rather have it too conservative than too lenient. Now I got a Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU. I think I'll be happy when I start dipping my toes into some minor overclocking.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MonkeyFit posted:

I saw that when I was shopping around. It actually made me buy a Seasonic, just at a slightly higher rating than I needed. Because I'd rather have it too conservative than too lenient. Now I got a Seasonic Prime 1000W PSU. I think I'll be happy when I start dipping my toes into some minor overclocking.

I wouldn't call it a positive feature, because a 750W PSU really shouldn't be shutting down on a 500W average draw even if the spike is much higher. That's what the big bulk cap is for. Corsair's PSUs handle it, and they also have really solid & smart protections.

But also the real blame is on GPU makers for violating the spec. Drawing 600 watts over 2 PCIe power plugs is twice the rated spec, even if it's momentary. Probably they're cheaping out by not putting an adequate number of caps on the cards, since tantalum caps are super-expensive and polymers they run out of board space.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Uh, aren't the corsair PSUs Seasonic OEMs? Wouldn't fill me with confidence that they're loving with the OEM spec tbh.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Corsair sources their designs from all over, they have some Seasonic models but the majority are CWT

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Theophany posted:

Uh, aren't the corsair PSUs Seasonic OEMs? Wouldn't fill me with confidence that they're loving with the OEM spec tbh.

repiv posted:

Corsair sources their designs from all over

When Corsair first got into the PSU market they used Seasonic, for both the manufacturing and the design platform. IE they were basically the same Seasonic guts on the inside. But that hasn't been true for a looong time.

Corsair's high-end stuff (gold & up) now is their own designs, because they built their own R&D team with real EEs and poo poo for their PSUs. Which ofc they still contract out to a chinese factory, but they're not just taking the standard OEM platform and slapping a label on it. They have a lot of input on the process, and probably source the components as well.

So the fact that their PSUs don't have the same problem with power spikes is because it's a totally different design on the inside, and their protection circuit is doing some sort of smoothing or whatever.

And so who the OEM is really doesn't matter for them -- to the extent that it matters for anyone, which is TBQH not much. All these OEMs are capable of making a decent PSU. EVGA sources their PSUs from a zillion different OEMs and AFAIK uses the OEM design platforms*. Despite that they have mostly good PSUs because they spec good components, pay for good work, do QA, and watch to make sure no funny business happens.

Gigabyte OTOH did not do one or more of those things. The assembly quality on the exploding PSUs wasn't the problem so it's not like they chose some factory that didn't know how to make a PSU. But the components are crap. That means Gigabyte was either like "yeah whatever caps & mosfets are cheapest, use those", or else they were not paying attention and let the OEM use bad substitutes. And obviously they didn't do independent QA. That's real bad, and on units that they originally had tagged with prices equal to the other big 3 is a loving scam. Newegg may have been using them as GPU package filler, but Gigabyte was originally looking to score $$$ for cut-rate poo poo.

*which is why EVGA PSU models constantly change, and why their modular cables are incompatible with each other. whereas Corsair and Seasonic are like 99% compatible within their own brand.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Klyith posted:

When Corsair first got into the PSU market they used Seasonic, for both the manufacturing and the design platform. IE they were basically the same Seasonic guts on the inside. But that hasn't been true for a looong time.

Corsair's high-end stuff (gold & up) now is their own designs, because they built their own R&D team with real EEs and poo poo for their PSUs. Which ofc they still contract out to a chinese factory, but they're not just taking the standard OEM platform and slapping a label on it. They have a lot of input on the process, and probably source the components as well.

So the fact that their PSUs don't have the same problem with power spikes is because it's a totally different design on the inside, and their protection circuit is doing some sort of smoothing or whatever.

And so who the OEM is really doesn't matter for them -- to the extent that it matters for anyone, which is TBQH not much. All these OEMs are capable of making a decent PSU. EVGA sources their PSUs from a zillion different OEMs and AFAIK uses the OEM design platforms*. Despite that they have mostly good PSUs because they spec good components, pay for good work, do QA, and watch to make sure no funny business happens.

Gigabyte OTOH did not do one or more of those things. The assembly quality on the exploding PSUs wasn't the problem so it's not like they chose some factory that didn't know how to make a PSU. But the components are crap. That means Gigabyte was either like "yeah whatever caps & mosfets are cheapest, use those", or else they were not paying attention and let the OEM use bad substitutes. And obviously they didn't do independent QA. That's real bad, and on units that they originally had tagged with prices equal to the other big 3 is a loving scam. Newegg may have been using them as GPU package filler, but Gigabyte was originally looking to score $$$ for cut-rate poo poo.

*which is why EVGA PSU models constantly change, and why their modular cables are incompatible with each other. whereas Corsair and Seasonic are like 99% compatible within their own brand.

Ah ok, cool, thanks for that, I didn't realise Corsair were now making their own PSUs! The last one I had I bought specifically because it was a Seasonic OEM design with the same pinout for custom cabling and I couldn't get hold of a Seasonic branded one at the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Klyith posted:

Fun fact: EVGA modular cable ports can have Corsair modular cables plugged in, with NOT compatible pinouts and potentially disastrous results! Not an issue for most people but in a lab where there is a mix of them.. well.. Thankfully nothing major blew up :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Fun fact: EVGA modular cable ports can have Corsair modular cables plugged in, with NOT compatible pinouts and potentially disastrous results!

This is pretty much all modular PSUs. They all use the same 6 & 8 pin molex plugs, and the number of different keying patterns isn't big enough for each manufacturer to have their own. But IMO it's way worse that EVGA has models where if you have the wrong pair, they're not compatible. And not in a fail-safe way.

I'm kinda meh on ATX12VO for the DIY PC market -- it pushes a bunch of cost from the PSU (10+ years usable) to the mobo (replaced much more frequently). But the one thing it would be really good for is standardizing the modular cable situation. It's crazy that it was allowed to happen the way it did.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

This is pretty much all modular PSUs. They all use the same 6 & 8 pin molex plugs, and the number of different keying patterns isn't big enough for each manufacturer to have their own. But IMO it's way worse that EVGA has models where if you have the wrong pair, they're not compatible. And not in a fail-safe way.

I'm kinda meh on ATX12VO for the DIY PC market -- it pushes a bunch of cost from the PSU (10+ years usable) to the mobo (replaced much more frequently). But the one thing it would be really good for is standardizing the modular cable situation. It's crazy that it was allowed to happen the way it did.

Yeah they really should standardize it on the plug from the PSU as well as into the PCB. I could totally see someone swapping out a PSU and keeping the cables plugged into the motherboard/GPU and just plugging those in and yikes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was absolutely losing it at the intro to GN's latest pre-built odyssey. Even the good ones get savaged in some way.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Fun fact: EVGA modular cable ports can have Corsair modular cables plugged in, with NOT compatible pinouts and potentially disastrous results! Not an issue for most people but in a lab where there is a mix of them.. well.. Thankfully nothing major blew up :haw:

I fried 3 256gb SSDs because of this.

Was given a EVGA 1000w modular.

Had cables that looked identical. Except I didn't catch that some of the SATA modular cables were for a different PSU. They fed 12v into the 5v SATA pin.

The one mechanical drive somehow survived and even worked with 12v being fed into it's 5v input.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stevewm posted:

I fried 3 256gb SSDs because of this.

Was given a EVGA 1000w modular.

Had cables that looked identical. Except I didn't catch that some of the SATA modular cables were for a different PSU. They fed 12v into the 5v SATA pin.

The one mechanical drive somehow survived and even worked with 12v being fed into it's 5v input.

Yup we had a u.2 cable blow from this, thankfully there was a diode in there that protected the attached drive but the cable was hooped.

After that every cable was labelled “FOR EVGA PSU ONLY” :haw:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Someone made a fake Linus Tech Tips video with a pretty good soundalike speech generator to shill for some android gamepad and ran it as a youtube ad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I really shouldn't be watching Jayztwocents anymore, but in his "review" of the 6600XT he said that even the 3060Ti should not be considered a card good enough to do ray-tracing, which struck me as an extremely hot take

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mearn posted:

I have a P750GM in my computer right now, and haven't had any issues since I got it back in November but now I'm paranoid.

Gigabyte is replacing the PSUs!

quote:

Model name:GP-P850GM
S/N From SN20343G031011 to SN20513G022635
Model name:GP-P750GM
S/N From SN20243G001301 to SN20453G025430

(And they put out a press statement where they showed their entire rear end by blaming "certain media outfits casting doubt" for load testing that "would not be typical of any real world usage", despite:
1. yo that's how you test things, you push them to the limit and see if they fail safe or fail destructively. too bad you didn't test them like that yourself!
2. all them 1-star reviews of your PSUs on newegg weren't by people using PSU load testers)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve is on it.
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1427152954109353987
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1427170168275361792

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Klyith posted:

Gigabyte is replacing the PSUs!

(And they put out a press statement where they showed their entire rear end by blaming "certain media outfits casting doubt" for load testing that "would not be typical of any real world usage", despite:
1. yo that's how you test things, you push them to the limit and see if they fail safe or fail destructively. too bad you didn't test them like that yourself!
2. all them 1-star reviews of your PSUs on newegg weren't by people using PSU load testers)

My serial number isn't included in the list of replacements currently, but I replaced it with a Corsair anyway. I don't need or want to risk it frying other components or starting a fire.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's first reports that Gigabyte's attempting to weasel themselves out of RMAs.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's first reports that Gigabyte's attempting to weasel themselves out of RMAs.

Not surprising. There are endless horror stories about nightmare RMA experiences with Gigabyte GPUs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xts3pvbcFos

Looks like Gigabyte is getting a grave plot next to NZXT and MSI.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Elsewhere, HWUB's Tim has officially shaved and now looks about 14.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hardware UwUnboxed

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I’ll take it over Biff Tannen, Hardware Reviewer.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 17, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Angry Steve is best Steve.

GN has literally never lost one of these slap fights with a company. They do not publish stuff like this unless they are 1000% sure about it. The fact that they took nearly 6 months to publish the original piece shows the lengths they go to validate.

This is arguably dumber than what NZXT did. NZXT just agreed there was a problem, maybe, and kind of lied about fixing it. Gigabyte not only did that, but also accused GN of bad reporting and misleading testing. This is going to get ugly for Gigabyte.

That GPU dying is icing on the cake too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope the Taiwanese Mafia don't hurt him :ohdear:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He died for our sins

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I've had a Gigabyte motherboard and two GPUs die on me years ago. I think one was DOA from Newegg so luckily I got a replacement.

The only Gigabyte thing I've bought since is a mouse, and so far it hasn't burned my house down, but I don't trust anything from them that costs more than $30.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Tech Jesus taking scalps, you love to see it

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Shipon posted:

Tech Jesus taking scalps, you love to see it

He really is best when he gets worked up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1428008575729811464

lol Gigabyte is going to get sledgehammered if they don't walk back their poo poo soon

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxo2_lwKps

jesus is concerned positive videos don't do as well as negative ones :smith:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I honestly would like to see him do a roundup of the various manufactures for different items (cases, gpus, motherboards, etc) and come up with some top choices. Seeing horrible garbage get ripped on is fun but having good info on what to get from GN is nice as well.

My wild guess for best current maker of stuff like gpus and psus would be EVGA, they seem to have a good combo of good quality and good support. For cases Fractal and Phanteks are my favs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Finally a manufacturer following in the footsteps of the old Silverstone positive pressure cases :sickos:

Silverstone stuck gold with that design then just... stopped updating it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

TheFluff posted:

That's just a fact of YouTube

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah you look at any Youtube channel and them raving about cool poo poo never gets the same views as raging about bad poo poo.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's the reason tons of Youtube channels consist of nothing but frequent (fake) drama videos.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
It's not just YouTube specific, it's just the news industry in general.

Like that old saying goes, if it bleeds it leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

TheFluff posted:

It's very GN to get a case that tops all their charts in the ways it should, is full of interesting ideas, and then have basically an anti-hype video about it lol. I think they have a point about price range and versatility but I want this case bad.